Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: I.E.  (Read 15444 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:I.E.
« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2005, 07:41:20 PM »

I've been invited to go to the Improv with Miss Tammy Minoff to see her friend do standup.  I'm feeling a bit logey right now (the result of a heavy pasta lunch) but I might try to get up the energy to do it - even though I basically cannot stand standup nor the Improv.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only person who doesn't enjoy standup or comedy clubs.  I like to laugh and I have a good unique off-beat sense of humor, and I will usually pick a comedy film or play over a drama anytime.  But when it comes to standup comedy and comedy clubs, give me a root canal anytime.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2005, 07:46:30 PM »

To continue:

Dessert was either Chocolate Paradiso served on a Bed of Raspberry Puree and Crème Anglaise, or Washington Apple Crisp with Fresh Cinnamon Whipped Cream and Caramel Sauce.  Larry had the Chocolate Paradiso (he said it was good) and Hilary and I had the apple crisp.  It was just okay.  Not bad, but nothing special...and not enough caramel sauce!  My sister just took bites from Hilary's apple crisp and Larry's chocolate thing.

As for where we were seated, we were upstairs in the dome of the Rainier car.  It was pretty cool!  You could see all over the place.  Larry and my sister both took pictures.  I'll post a couple later if they let me copy them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 07:50:58 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #152 on: April 17, 2005, 07:50:29 PM »

After the train ride, we went to Fry's Electronics, which is this HUGE, GIGANTIC electronics store not too far from the dinner train station.  It looked like you could be stuck in their for days and not see it all.  Talk about overkill!  I went directly to the CD section (surprisingly small for such a large store) and found the "Soundtracks" section and the "Vocals" section.  There was no separate "Broadway" or "Showtunes" section...evidently, those are mixed in with the "Vocal" CDs, but I only saw maybe six musical cast recordings at all.  This is not a place that I will look for CDs in the future.

What I did buy, though was Nelly McKay's "Get Away From Me" CD.  The library where I work got the CD and I fell in love with it...now I have a legal copy! ::) But it's not just the CD.  It's one of those new DualDisc format CD/DVDs!  Click HERE for the amazon.com listing for more information.  It has two sides like some DVDs, but one side is a regular CD and the other has DVD material:  the entire audio CD with pictures to watch while playing on your DVD player, two bonus songs (audio only) and a 26 minute DVD concert.  It's pretty cool, except that it has the warning, "The audio side of this disc does not conform to CD specifications and therefore not all DVD and CD players will play the audio side of this disc."  It's actually thicker than a regular CD or DVD.  So far, it's played in every player at my house and my sister's.  I'll have to check it in my portable CD player at work.  That's where it'll get the most use.  Then we drove home.

And, that was my day on my niece's 21st birthday. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: April 17, 2005, 07:54:21 PM »

Never mind!  There is a TCB in every crowd!

Take a bow, TCB. Your influence is ever-widening.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2005, 07:57:42 PM »

I just finished watching DESPERATE HOUSEWIES. I have to say I kind of figured what Bree's son was up to (though he did admit to more than I thought.)

Matt H.

« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2005, 08:00:58 PM »

Jennifer, in regard to your question about Joel Grey on ALIAS a few days ago, the description of this week's episode of ALIAS in my TV Week magazine in today's newspaper said he was PRETENDING to be Arvin Sloane. This week's episode is entitled "Another Mr. Sloane."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2005, 08:02:00 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from Steve's... We just ended up having dinner there - since he had bought some food the other day...  I was his first dinner guest in his new place.  :)  Nice dinner of salad and pasta.

So... Now I'm back at my place, and I'm feeling a little restless.  I may go for a short walk, or I may end up heading to, as DR JRand, put it, a "special interest" place.  ;)

We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: April 17, 2005, 08:02:08 PM »

And now, after a last couple of late nights, I am headed for bed. Rehearsals for LA CAGE begin tomorrow.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #158 on: April 17, 2005, 08:21:14 PM »

Well, now that I've actually sat down for more than 10 minutes today, I think I'll be staying in...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #159 on: April 17, 2005, 08:28:15 PM »

HEY, JMK, MBARNUM AND JANE and everyone else, too!!  Starting tomorrow night (at least, on the Seattle PBS station) will be the Portland, Oregon episodes of "Antiques Roadshow" that I went to last year!!  I may be seen in the background!!  I wore my tie-dye t-shirt under my green Hawaiian shirt...very colorful. ;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2005, 08:30:41 PM »

New Jersey is the same way. You are NOT ALLOWED to pump your own gas there. I kinda like not having to get out of the car.

I like it, too.  You can actually get your tank filled and not have to guess-timate whether to tell the clerk that you want $20 or $25 worth.

And strangely enough, gas is cheaper in NJ.  I believe it's the cheapest in the nation at the mo'.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2005, 09:14:22 PM »

HEY, JMK, MBARNUM AND JANE and everyone else, too!!  Starting tomorrow night (at least, on the Seattle PBS station) will be the Portland, Oregon episodes of "Antiques Roadshow" that I went to last year!!  I may be seen in the background!!  I wore my tie-dye t-shirt under my green Hawaiian shirt...very colorful. ;D

Ah, I was wondering if that was the one you went to George! Our newspaper has run a couple of stories on this one already this week, as there is a Salem woman who is going to be on it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2005, 09:17:27 PM »

hmmm....

Something tells me I won't be staying up until 5:00am tonight...

Hmmmm..

:)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 09:18:18 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2005, 09:46:46 PM »

...OK.... So I'll finish watching Whoopi on HBO and then go to bed...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2005, 09:50:04 PM »

Another movie for my list.  Thanks MBARNUM.  I am still recovering from HONG KONG RHAPSODY and about to dive into the other two you sent me.

Lovely weather today....beautiful.

I clicked on the link DR MS - but I couldn't access DR CP's article. :(

I don't mind stand-up, if it's good.....but IMPROV  is something that makes me run screaming....LOUD.  There is a place in Indy called ComedySportz and the act-letes do regular Improv that is PAINFUL...PAINFUL....  I tried twice to watch.  Now when I have to go down that street, I run past the window and hope they are not doing anything in there that I would see.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2005, 09:50:42 PM »

Have a good first rehearsal DR MATTH - be sure to take your camera.  I love first rehearsal pictures and usually give them with a card for opening night!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: April 17, 2005, 10:28:03 PM »

I'm back from the Improv, and nothing I saw this evening has changed my feelings about standup, at least standup as we know it today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2005, 11:30:38 PM »

OK...  I'm hoping to get out of bed before Noon, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2005, 11:37:15 PM »

Joan Rivers could do some good stand up.  Totie Fields could do some good stand up.  Jack Benny and Red Skelton were masters, although I guess they were more story tellers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2005, 11:40:20 PM »

New notes are written and shall be posted at the stroke of midnight.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up