Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NEED TO BE KNEADED  (Read 22634 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:NEED TO BE KNEADED
« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2005, 06:43:15 PM »

But I see you didn't actually download your avatar.  Rather, you linked to a picture on aol-members.  Perhaps the problem is at aol?

Hmm... I thought I actually uploaded the pic here.. Hmmm...

Let me see...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2005, 06:44:26 PM »

The Case of the Missing Avatar

That will be the name of my new mystery novel.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2005, 06:44:27 PM »

Ron, elmore and WFO have answered eloquently and I would hope similarly to what I would have answered.  No, maybe not all Indians engaged in the brutal conquests of their neighbours, but many, many tribes did and it's just as misguided to think everyone over here was living in an idyllic Eden-like paradise before the white Europeans came.  After all, the Aztecs were indulging in human sacrifice and ripping the hearts out of their victims.  

What Muslim fanatics are doing is inexcusable precisely because they are still living in a 12th century mindset whereas the rest of the world has moved on.  

And I've already taken my swipes at the mindset of the Catholic hierarchy today,  so don't get me started there again. Though I will say that the Catholic priests burning of the Mayan writings I consider one of the great tragedies of the world along with the burning of the library in Alexandria.

What I hate is when we judge extraordinary albeit flawed men by today's standards and try to make it all or nothing and turn them into pariahs and then minimize their extraordinary feats and achievements...people like Columbus, Caesar, Jefferson come to mind.

Another PC thing that bothers me is all the mea culpa that governments try to do for the past sins of history...despite the fact that no one from those previous countries or governments are still living.  I can see a valid point for paying reparations to actual victims of something like the Holocaust or our own interment of Japanese citizens, but when we start wanting to pay reparations for slavery when none of those people are still alive or apologize for the Crusades or Galilelo or whatever, then I think it starts to get a little ridiculous.  None of us are responsible for the sins of our fathers or fore-fathers.  

It's about how we conduct ourselves now. Not about a bunch of people who are dead and gone and we never knew. That's history...and if we start paying for the sins of history where does it stop and who gets the blame?  Especially when the borders and the governments and the people are always shifting and moving and changing.  It's really time for a lot of people to stop playing the victim card over what happened a hundred, two hundred, 500 hundred years ago and just get on with their life.  I get real tired of hearing:  "If you hadn't done this to my ancestors, I might be better off. "  And maybe you'd be worse off, living in a loincloth starving in some war-torn country or maybe not even born because the chain of events that led to your great-great-great- great granny meeting your great-great-great great  grandpop might never have happened.

So unless you're a living victim who was personally affected by some historical grievance within the last hundred years, just stop whinging, sucked it up, and get on with your life.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 06:48:38 PM by Charles Pogue »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #183 on: April 19, 2005, 06:46:53 PM »

That will be the name...

-Yeah, yeah, yeah...the joke is old already.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2005, 06:52:55 PM »

Frivolous Lawsuits:

For about six years, my Joe was involved in a (nonfrivolous) lawsuit against the company that poisoned him.

During that time, we were acutely aware of other suits in the news.  Among them, of course, the lady who spilled hot coffee in her lap.

But the corker was the secretary who was suing a law firm she had worked for for sexual harrassment.  Her main contention appeared to be that the president of the firm had squeezed her breasts.

Eventually she settled out of court--for seven million dollars!  That's seven-zero-zero-zero-zero-zero-zero dollars, U period S period!  And Joe got a fraction of that for being crippled for life with "the most painful of all rheumatic diseases" according to an acknowledged expert in rheumatology.

I'm sure ninety percent of all women who read about that screamed, "Squeeze mine!  Please!"  Joe certainly did.

But we all know that the settlement was not for the squeezing of the breasts, don't we?  She had worked for several years for a major law firm.  She must have known where a lot of bodies were buried.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

td

• td
« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2005, 07:15:49 PM »

I was reading a book the other day. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ben

« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2005, 07:42:54 PM »

I just got back from a fun evening in the theatre. I was originally supposed to have two tickets to this folderol but wires were crossed and I only had one. Lucky me that I found out before I made phone calls asking anyone (except one person, you know who you are, so it's good you couldn't go after all) if they would like to attend with me. Ah, well.

Back to the theatre. I saw Forbidden Broadway, SVU! Funny, funny show. I laughed and laughed even though the audience was a bit slow and not laughing as much. A couple of times I stifled my laughter because others were not laughing but then I thought, why should I let them interrupt my good time and I laughed loud and long. There is no rundown in the program and I don't remember every take off but there was a great Bernadette Peters Gypsy take off and a VERY funny Fiddler/British directors bit. BK, Jennifer Simard is in the show. She lists Unsung Musicals III, Sondheim at the Movies and I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change in her credits. Even though it's not Wednesday, do you remember her. She was very good. And now, it's off to bed. Catch up with you tomorrow.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2005, 07:48:26 PM »

I'm back!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2005, 07:56:10 PM »

I'm back!

:D

At this performance the role of Jose Simbulan will be played by . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2005, 07:57:15 PM »

Lovely NEW JOSE avatar.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #190 on: April 19, 2005, 07:57:21 PM »

Good to see you back where you belong DR Jose.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #191 on: April 19, 2005, 07:57:33 PM »

DR td - did you enjoy it?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2005, 07:57:50 PM »

Very exciting AMAZING RACE tonight.  We are down to four teams.

Michael

« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2005, 07:59:57 PM »

At this performance the role of Jose Simbulan will be played by . . .

Rodzinski
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 08:00:14 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2005, 08:02:59 PM »

I'm back from supping with Miss Tammy Minoff.  She'd asked me to go with her to look at a car she was thinking of buying.  Neither of us liked the seller, and I thought the car smelled like someone had eaten sheep's eyeballs in it, so it's a pass.  We dined at Marie Callendar's, where I had the bacon cheeseburger, a salad, and no ranch dressing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: April 19, 2005, 08:03:52 PM »

And now, Marina the Masseuse has arrived, so I will be on a table for the next hour or so.  Keep the home fries burning until my returning.

I wish I hadn't just eaten that cheeseburger so close to the massage.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #196 on: April 19, 2005, 08:08:10 PM »

I was reading a book the other day. . .

Was it about a whale?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #197 on: April 19, 2005, 08:16:14 PM »

It's nice to see DR Jose out from behind that keyboard and enjoying himself on the streets of...?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2005, 08:17:01 PM »

DR Michael Shayne - Sssshhhhhh.....

:-X

DR elmore will get jealous...

:-*
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 08:18:02 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2005, 08:19:08 PM »

It's nice to see DR Jose out from behind that keyboard and enjoying himself on the streets of...?

...Washington, DC, in front of the National Building Museum.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2005, 08:22:30 PM »

DR TomovOz, that "Pope Idol" pic was hysterical.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2005, 08:24:17 PM »

DR Jose, I like the new avatar.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2005, 08:29:04 PM »

Re: All The Pope Talk today...

Has anyone heard of the Prophecy of St. Malachy? Most theologians hold it to be a hoax, but so far they have been able to connect each coded title in the prophecy with every Pope in some way. http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp

I thought it was interesting in a Wizard of Oz/Dark Side of the Moon sort of way.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 08:30:01 PM by Joey »
There is no music without silence, only noise...

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2005, 08:40:40 PM »

As long as we are talking PC and un-PC, I must share with you a rather long piece which was posted on sondheim.com for a while and drew comments from the offended.

I'M ILLITERATE

Stephen Sondheim has opined  in various forums the character- inappropriateness  of  the lyrics to "I Feel Pretty".   ("Here is  this illiterate Puerto Rican girl, and you know she would be right   at home in Noel Coward's drawing room.") As  all will agree,  this  song is much too good to be  removed from  West  Side Story.   I   propose therefore the following lyrics, more in tune with Maria's  social background.

Maria:  I'm illiterate.
          I reiterate:
          So illiterate, I'm bitter. It's
          A shame.
          I'm illiterate,
          And I can't even read my name.

I'm untutored
          And uneducated.
          I just vegetated through half of
          My youth.
          Unemployable,
          Unhygenic, and a bit uncouth.

When I was in Noel Coward's drawing room,
                Trying to be witty and chic,
                Everybody glowered,
                Even Noel cowered
                When he heard me speak.

Disadvantaged,
          Underprivileged,
          Always spurned, 'cause I'm
          Learning impaired.
          I'd be sexier,
          But dyslexia has got me scared.

Chorus:    Have you met my good friend Maria,
                The one with the grandiose plans?
                She wants a successful career,
                But goes shopping by looking at pictures on cans.

She's blaming her school,
                She's such an ingrate.
                Why is she a fool?
                It's purely innate.

There's a reason Mar-
                Ia's plan slipped.
                Take a look at her
                High-school transcript.

She followed the top
                Curriculum path:
                Home Ec, Gym, and Shop,
                Remedial Math.

Maria:  I'm unlearned
          And unlettered.
          I could better myself,
          But my fate
          Has been fettered,
          And bilingualism came too late.

See the little ad in the paper there.
                What does that advertisement say?
                "To advance your race,
                Aprenda inglés.
                Come enroll today."

Hooked on Phonics
          Is the tonic
          That will nourish my
          Hispanic soul.
          For I'm loved
          By a semiliterate Pole!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 08:44:42 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

td

• td
« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2005, 08:49:38 PM »

Was it about a whale?
It was not; but it was whale of a tale. . .
(How did everyone like my Jean Harlow pause?)

It was an espionage novel by Daniel Silva, all about the Vatican and its harboring of Nazi criminals during and after the second world war. . .

Now I'm reading a book about Hollywood detective Elvis Cole.  
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2005, 09:17:16 PM »

RE AMERICAN IDOL:

The worst three performances of the night for me:

1. Vonzell without question. Sang sharp or flat on almost everything, got drowned out by the backup singers and eventually just sang accompaniment FOR THEM, and then went into her head voice for the last vocal phrase, and it was so sharp my teeth started cracking. Really, really terrible for her tonight.

2. Carrie. She seemed indifferent to the music and showed a total lack of interest in singing through much of the song, also looked very uncomfortable singing. The low notes were off, and those high notes in the song she had to strain to reach. She got to them, but they weren't pretty. Her worst vocal performance of the competition.

3. Anwar - pitch was all over the map, and I didn't find his showmanship enough to offset the indifferent vocal. A couple of high notes couldn't save a basically sloppy, uninteresting performance.

Best of the night for me was Anthony whose ease with the singing was noticeable. He seemed happy, upbeat, and confident, and his singing was a thousand percent improved.

Scott, sorry to say, had an excellent performance tonight. I'm not sure he got all the words right, but the notes were all there, and his tone was very ingratiating. Nope, his body language and stage presence sucks, but on the basis of just his voice, the second best of the night.

I also liked Bo and COnstantine.

Now, as for busy signals for the two hours I called, Carrie's line was by far the busiest. Scott's was also constantly busy, so I'm afraid to say we're going to see them again next week.

Not busy nearly as much were Anwar's (the least busy), Constantine, and Anthony. Hope that's not a sign of things to come. I don't mind Anwar leaving, but the other two are too talented to go away just yet.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: April 19, 2005, 09:45:57 PM »

Well, since Matt H opened the door...

Yes, Vonzell was a bit pitchy, but as Simon pointed out, her personality carried her.  But the girl does need to think before she opens her mouth,

I didn't mind Carrie's performance, and she did admit she had no real connection to the song, but who could?  ;)  At least she took the risk for the high belting.

As for Anwar... He was my YIKES for the evening.  For someone who supposedly is a voice teacher, it sure doesn't show.  No support, and it seems like he never really learned the song - or any song up to now (at least the ones I've seen.)  I do have to wonder if he - or anyone else in the competition - actually learns each song "straight" - no riffing, no melismas.  Anwar just seemed to be opening his mouth and  that was about it.  What came out is what came out.  He just seemed to be coasting.  And there was even a sort of blankness in his eyes - like he was just trying to connect with the camera and not with the song.  It sounds like he's depending on the mic - and the sound board op - to do the work for him.  I have a sense that he could be really amazing if he actually applied himself seriously.

Anthony was good tonight too - when did all the makeup start?  or is he the new spokesman for ProActiv?  ;-)

Constantine was good, not great.  And weird makeup on him too.

Scott picked a great song for him tonight.  Not a risky song, but a very good performance.  And Simon hit it on the head with the "ordinary guy" comment.

Bo did a great job, but his selection of material also showed his self-admitted limited range - the rocker.  I just have to wonder how marketable he would be should he win the competition.

...and that's my $0.02..
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #207 on: April 19, 2005, 09:51:30 PM »

DR MS has a new avatar as well.  The times they are a changin'!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #208 on: April 19, 2005, 10:08:32 PM »

DR td - I gave you a Bunny Watson response.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: April 19, 2005, 10:10:59 PM »

I just had me a deliciously delicious massage and I be floating on air.

Going to sit on the couch like so much fish and finish my movie.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up