Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: REALITY TV  (Read 3205 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
REALITY TV
« on: October 02, 2020, 12:36:33 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes spoke of reality TV and how it works, and now it is time for you to post until the reality TV cows come home - they're hoping they haven't tested positive for COWvid.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: REALITY TV
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 12:37:28 AM »

And the word of the day is: ELAN!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 01:17:44 AM »

Topic of the Day:  in my laserdisc player:  Guys and Dolls - Off the Record.  They're all so young!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 01:39:17 AM »

Today, I'm having lunch with my friend Margo at Eagan's, then after work I'll go to my mom's and play cards.  This'll be the first time without my dad.

And now, I'm off to bed.  Have a good day, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 03:24:10 AM »

That new Ella CD sounds great!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 03:25:05 AM »

Regarding a certain "breaking news" item:   I'm dubious.   As others have mentioned.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 03:31:37 AM »

I wanted to do a compare and contrast, but the photos I want to attach are too large. Will try to figure it out later.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 04:11:48 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 04:14:21 AM »

After I learned about Hope Hicks, I went to bed last night thinking, I hope he gets it.  So I have two wishes this morning: he does indeed have it and it destroys him.  The problem is, he's such a serial liar, I too can see him faking it for all the reasons BK stated and trying to turn a serious disaster to his advantage.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 04:16:14 AM »

I had a bed full of cats last night, all thinking it belonged to them, but I did sleep rather well.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 04:17:35 AM »

I have no big plans today, but I still need to get the piles of books around my bed into some organization.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 05:55:25 AM »

Kitty cleanup is finished and bed made. I haven't decided on breakfast yet, but I want to have something soon, take my morning meds, and lie down for a bit.  U;ve pulled a muscle on my left side and it's irritating the hell out of me.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 06:20:16 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 06:21:46 AM »

I wish Donald Trump no personal ill. I just wish he’d go somewhere far away from the country he’s tried to destroy.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 06:22:52 AM »

But I also have to say that I hope this is no campaign ploy to say that the virus is nothing to worry about.
― Voltaire

KevinH

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 06:24:01 AM »

Good morning!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 06:33:43 AM »

My fear, if the administration is lting and that no one is really Covid-19 positive, is that Trump will pull a "miracle cure" and his idiot evangelical following will claim it proves he's God's chosen.

John G.

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 06:34:00 AM »

Nine hours of sleep. One slight wakeup for less than five minutes. Feels good.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 06:34:18 AM »

I'm reticent.....OH YES.....I'm reticent.  I cannot comment AT THIS TIME......

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2020, 06:34:37 AM »

I hate him so much I hope he is positive and this will be the end of him and his ilk.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2020, 06:36:00 AM »

ELAN is one of my favorite Bible personalities......

We were taught to say "personalities" because "character" made the Bible seem like a book of fiction.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 06:36:30 AM »

I think somebody here said something about the President AND October.....I think......

ChasSmith

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 06:53:46 AM »

Good morning, all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 06:57:31 AM »

This has been an interesting video week.  Two nights ago, we watched Village of the Damned.  I haven't seen it since its first release sixty years ago, and it's still a good, creepy little movie.  Last night we watched a bootleg of Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall from around the same time, and I loved it over again.  Ernie Flatt's choreography for the Russian dance troupe and the Pratt Family Singers, a really wicked parody of the Broadway Sound of Music, are so much better than his humdrum work on Woman of the Year.  I was really impressed by Irwin Kostal's orchestrations.  Julie Andrews' "Oh, Dear, What Can the Matter Be?" is so stunning, but the whole show is such a delight.

ChasSmith

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2020, 07:01:11 AM »

That's some fine viewing, DR Elmore.

ChasSmith

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 07:09:53 AM »

I haven't seen YOUNG AND INNOCENT since I was, too.

Probably not since the Hitchcock festivals that would spring up around L.A. in the '70s. I do remember I liked it, but right now I couldn't tell you a damned thing about it except that it did indeed star Nova Pilbeam -- whose name I wouldn't have been able to pull out of the air, or even out of someplace a lot more unsavory -- but now that BK has put it back into my head I shall try to retain it.

I have it here, but only in that potentially wonderful but ultimately infuriating Hitchcock DVD set issued by Fox, in which some of the discs would not play well on certain players. I will take mine out and see what's what.

John G.

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 07:15:57 AM »

I haven't seen YOUNG AND INNOCENT since I was, too.

Probably not since the Hitchcock festivals that would spring up around L.A. in the '70s. I do remember I liked it, but right now I couldn't tell you a damned thing about it except that it did indeed star Nova Pilbeam -- whose name I wouldn't have been able to pull out of the air, or even out of someplace a lot more unsavory -- but now that BK has put it back into my head I shall try to retain it.

I have it here, but only in that potentially wonderful but ultimately infuriating Hitchcock DVD set issued by Fox, in which some of the discs would not play well on certain players. I will take mine out and see what's what.

I have a similar blank on the film, but I know where my copy is.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2020, 07:38:38 AM »

As far as the TOD goes, these past couple of nights I went through a UK Blu-ray set issued a couple of years ago but which I just jumped on the bandwagon to get ahold of before it goes out of print: "William Castle at Columbia", containing the eight films from the US Sony DVD set a decade ago.

I decided to get it because of Powerhouse/Indicator's reputation for deluxe releases (I already had a few of theirs), and to have what should by all rights be the greatest transfers of the Castle films which are a fun favorite in this household. The amassing of material and the packaging scores high, no question about it. I was only disappointed to find that I'm looking at the same transfers from a decade ago, albeit it in HD and with appropriately high bitrates. But shame on me for "ass-uming" these were probably new scans. It's nevertheless a beautiful set of the films themselves, and not only every supplementary feature that already existed, but loads of very good new ones. No regrets.

In checking out each movie, I first watched the main titles and a few select moments from the DVD set, then went right to the new Blu-ray for the same film to compare as best I could. On the very first one ("The Tingler"), I was stunned to see the identical defects on both. Example:  flickering main titles (yes, I know about opticals), unsteady picture otherwise, and a bit of flickering/contrast issues within the film. I went back to Indicator's blurbs about the release, and that's where I learned that, sure enough, this was Sony's existing HD transfers -- so what we get is what had been prepared for release on the DVDs, which is light years away from what's possible now with 4k scans and other technology.

BK should correct me if I'm wrong about any of this. I'm just trying to watch a little more critically than I have before.

Bottom line, though, a lovely release, which actually proves that the US DVD set was no slouch, because the transfers were certainly good then, and it, too, was packed with extra material. But Indicator has gone over the top with fun new stuff, and I'm happy to have the set.

John G.

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2020, 07:39:30 AM »

Singdaw, here's a video of J.B. you might enjoy. Only about 20 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OSXJUUNFsw
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2020, 07:39:43 AM »

Let's move on ...
― Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up