Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I'VE SAID IT AND I'M GLAD  (Read 19581 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:I'VE SAID IT AND I'M GLAD
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2005, 02:30:04 PM »

DR's who have THE PAJAMA GAME on DVD.  The extra on the disc is said to be Miss Doris Day singing "The Man Who Invented Love" which was written for the movie and then not used.  Is it on the DVD?  Is it an audio extra or a filmed and excised scene?  How does it look and sound?

Boy, DR JRand, you're asking questions that require RESEARCH!  :D

It's a video clip, but once again, it's been a long time since I watched it and have no memory of what it sounds like or looks like. Maybe I'll put it in instead of ANGEL when I go back downstairs.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2005, 02:34:27 PM »

Did you leave a note on his door?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2005, 02:35:51 PM »

No rush DRMATTH - I am not going to buy the DVD today!  LOL....can't afford that luscious box set.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2005, 02:38:28 PM »

Geissman is having lunch with Pogue...without cellphones.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2005, 02:49:23 PM »

JR:  a certain well-known cast album producer reissued Subways in stereo on CD several years ago.  Have you not caught up?  ;)

And it was a numbered, limited edition!  I got #130 of a supposed 5000 (BK, do you know many more sold??) ;D It is still available but as a non-numbered, non-limited edition.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 02:50:49 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2005, 02:59:21 PM »

I always taught my students the importance of note taking and outling before writing; even a simple paragraph is improved with some planning rather than simply writing free style without any prior thought.

I can't argue with this or what Pogue has stated one bit. But I would like to add that in the case of a kid who is just raring to go and write as Vixter sounds like she is, I wouldn't necessarily discourage her from letting loose. I know as a kid I loved to write like mad, and when it came to outlines, it was like they created a little block for me. Sometimes it is more THAT you write than HOW you write, depending, of course, on the nature of the  project. So I would just say that if you see the planning aspects stifling Vixter's creativity, maybe let her do her own thing, get the ideas down, then organize. Everybody's got to do what works for them.

When I taught creative writing, I met a lot of kids who had gotten so hung up on the rules and organizational aspects that they came to hate writing as a result. Finding what works for the individual is key.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2005, 03:07:46 PM »

When my teachers used to make us write a paper using that whole process with the prewriting, outlining, and all those drafts, and everything, and turn them in one at a time, I would write the final copy first, and then write the other parts as they were due. My teachers never caught on and I always got good grades, so I don't really see the point.

Since I don't really know from Hair, I'll just say to stick Carol Channing in there somewhere.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2005, 03:27:55 PM »

Good Evening!

Amazing what a little rain can do!  So nice to open the doors and windows and not have any "stuff" blowing in.  -Although, the gutters do have that weird green-yellow "creek" effect going on right now.

Steve's on his way over, and we're gonna get some dinner.  And then we'll head back over to his place to get some more stuff unpacked, and I'll take my first bunch of boxes back with me.  Until later...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2005, 03:35:31 PM »

I agree kiddies and even adults can get hung up on too many rules and regulations.  Especially screenwriter who read these how-to books by people who never wrote a screenplay in their life and are basically spouting guidelines for amateurs.  But people get all hung up on act breaks and on "exactly" what page they should fall or how many lines of description you can have before you break it or how many pages long your script can be...I broke all three of those rules with my very first script.  In fact, when I was starting out I read the slimmest how-to book I could read, basically to find out where I was going to set my margins and to see what rules I was going to break.  I broke a lot.

In high school I didn't see much point in outlining either...but that was my lack of discipline.  I later learned the importance of it!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2005, 03:36:34 PM »

Another thing outlining does for me is that it becomes an introduction period for me and my characters.  By the time I start writing...I really know who those people are...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2005, 03:57:17 PM »

Margins - now THOSE are important.

Again, whatever works is my motto.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2005, 03:57:57 PM »

Still no word.  This is beginning to turn ugly - I think a bitch-slapping may well be in order.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2005, 04:07:45 PM »

Had I known you were stood up, BK; we could've have had a late lunch I was over in your neck of the woods, speaking on the Radford Lot to a bunch of screenwriting students.  I was through at two.  Stopped in your DVD store to see if they had the Flynn box...They were out!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2005, 04:21:28 PM »

Damn them, damn them all to hell!  I'm starving, too.  Mr. Geissman got hung up at a mixing session that he was told would be through by noon.  I'm meeting him at five and we'll probably have to work for a couple of hours, because I'm determined that all the tracks are completely complete before Vinnie puts them into Pro Tools (save for the horn session tracks).

Pogue, your best bet on the Flynn set is to let me order it for you via amazon.  That way, you get it in two days, it's thirty percent off, and no tax.  Can't beat that kind o' deal.  Let me know.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2005, 04:23:59 PM »

I think Frances Farmer and/or Kurt Cobain just got their revenge department:  I went to Fred Meyer to take advantage of their 20% off boxed set DVD sale.  The clerk had to open the glass case, and as he did a gigantic boxed Nirvana Set fell off the top shelf and whacked me very hard on the neck/shoulder area.  I have a huge welt and am finding it hard to move my left arm.  They totally freaked out, brought me an icepack and had me fill out a customer incident report.  I wonder if this will be good for a gift certificate?   ???

The good news is I got the first 2 seasons of the Definitive Edition of Twilight Zone for a great price--first season came in at about $60 and the second season $35.

JMK, do me, and yourself, a favor and go get checked by a doctor.  Freddie's will pay for it.  When I fell in the pool of water at Albertson's three years ago, I was so embarrassed by the attention, that I could barely fill out the accident report.  I refused all medical treatment or even a hospital check-up.  Two months later, when the pain was so severe I couldn't stand it, they discovered that I had fractured my spine.  At that point, my surgeon said he would feel comfortable testifying in court that a fall two months earlier had resulted in my fracture.  The result -- four months off work without pay.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

François de Paris

« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2005, 04:33:29 PM »

In case some want to read more about Camarata's career:

Posted on Mon, Apr. 18, 2005

Music arranger-composer Salvador "Tutti" Camarata dead at 91
Associated Press
BURBANK, Calif. - Salvador "Tutti" Camarata, who worked with everyone from Bing Crosby to Billie Holiday to Disney teen heartthrob Annette Funicello in a long and distinguished career as a composer, arranger and trumpeter, has died at the age of 91.
Camarata died Wednesday at Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank after a brief illness, said his son, Paul Camarata.
In addition to his Big Band work in the 1930s and '40s, Camarata was the musical conductor for several TV series, including "Startime," "The Vic Damone Show" and "The Alcoa Hour." He was also the vocal supervisor for the 1963 movie "Summer Magic," which included musical performances by Hayley Mills and Burl Ives.
While living in England in the late 1940s, Camarata co-founded London Records with Sir Edward Lewis to make classical and pop recordings for U.S. distribution. Among the label's best known artists were the Rolling Stones.
Returning to the United States in the 1950s, he joined with Walt Disney in co-founding Disneyland Records, which recorded such pop stars as Funicello and Mills.
It was there that he helped Funicello the former "Mickey Mouse Club" mousketeer, develop the vocal style that briefly made her a pop star in the mid-1960s.
"Annette felt she couldn't sing," Camarata once said. "So I developed a way of recording her voice, creating an echo. The first time she heard it, she was surprised and happy. She began to gain more confidence as a vocalist."
In 1960 he opened Sunset Sound Recorders, where the Rolling Stones, Van Halen, Miles Davis and others have recorded. His son currently runs the studio.
Camarata studied music at the Juilliard School in New York before embarking on a career as a Big Band trumpeter in the 1930s. He was both lead trumpeter and arranger for Jimmy Dorsey's band, arranging such hits as "Tangerine," "Green Eyes" and "Yours."
He left Dorsey in the early 1940s to work as an arranger for Glen Cray and the Casa Loma Orchestra and for Benny Goodman's band. He also arranged music for Crosby, Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald and others.
His own recordings include "Tutti's Trumpets," recorded in 1957 and considered a classic for trumpet composition. In the 1970s, he orchestrated and conducted a series of albums for the London label that showcased the work of Bach, Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff.

François de Paris

« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2005, 04:35:23 PM »

And a reaction from Randy Thornton who worked with Camarata on the Annette boxe cd set in 1993:

"This is truly sad news. I had the great honor of working with Tutti – first was when I asked him to join me in the studio as we remixed and restored Annette’s songs for “Annette: A Musical Reunion with America’s Girl-Next-Door”. Not only did Tutti (the original Producer) join us,  but Bruce Botnick (the original Engineer) and the Sherman Brothers. It was an incredible time working with these legends. Though Tutti and I kept in touch on occasion over the years, we recently began working together (in preliminary stages) on the History of Disney Records for the Seattle EMP as we planned to interview him about his extraordinary career. But, alas, that was not to be. However, several months ago, David Agnew (President of the Buena Vista Music Group), Tutti and I went to lunch. I had the opportunity to give Tutti several copies of some records he did and that I restored for The Wonderland Music Store. He was delighted and quite tickled that I remembered. It was then he told me what a great job I had done with the classic soundtracks and that even Walt himself would have been pleased with the amount of effort and detail that went into each restoration. I was speechless – literally speechless for a couple hours. For you see it was Tutti who created what we know as soundtracks today. He felt that the soundtrack should be more than just the songs, that the score was even more important in expressing the story that the songs alone. To receive a compliment from someone like Tutti, who created the genre (so-to-speak), was, for me, life changing. You may find my reaction a bit maudlin, but Tutti was a genius, a true pioneer and a wonderful man.
The Maestro shall be missed and I am honored to have known and worked with such a brilliant and gentle man. God Bless You Mr. Camarata!"

Charles Pogue

« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2005, 04:37:43 PM »

BK, go, go, go on Flynn.  and for those of you wondering why BK is doing this for me, I have a phobia about ordering things over the internet and putting my credit card out there on the world wide web.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2005, 04:39:07 PM »

...And I do believe that is Steve's first appearance here on HHW!

:)

WELCOME,

STEVE!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2005, 05:02:56 PM »

Lives of a Bengal Lancer is on right now on TCM!

Anyone interested - WHAT'S GOING ON sends Kitty Carlisle out in the field tonight and that should be something - she can't see OR hear very well!  Tomorrow night's episode should be the last EVER.  We shall see....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2005, 06:06:23 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from dinner.  Steven and I just went ahead and headed around the corner to Three Monkeys.  We had about a 20 minute wait for a table, but we were able to get one on the covered patio.  Unfortunately, since it was still raining, they had the 'sides' down, so the cigarette smoke was not airing out as fast as it could.  Ah, well...

*It's the one thing I do not like about the Richmond restaurant scene - non-smoking sections are at the discretion of the management not mandated by the county/city/state.  I can tolerate smoke, but I have always found it frustrating trying to eat something while people on either side of me are puffing away on Marlboros and Camels.  -Oh, and, of course, they exhale the smoke towards me rather than towards their dining partner who also happens to be smoking too.  But such is the burden of dining in Tobacco Town.

-Oh, I guess that was a rant... Where was I?

We started off splitting an order of saganaki - the flaming cheese dish.  Then Steve ordered the Shrimp & Scallops in Three-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese, I opted for the Garlic Shrimp with Creamed Orzo, Salted Ham and Thyme.  Both dishes were good, not great, but the portions were very generous.  We both fished out our seafood (get it? fished? ;)), and ate what we could of the pasta portions of our dishes before cutting out of there.  -I think it's best to stick to the sandwiches and standard pub grub fare there.

Since dinner took a little bit longer than expected, Steve just headed on back to his place.  I'll just go over tomorrow night and pick up boxes and packing materials - which I will hopefully do after finally(!!!!!) going through my closets and starting to pack and purge.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2005, 06:22:50 PM »

Two sort of "funny" things we noticed while dining...

A gentleman had ordered the Seared Tuna special.  When the waitress brought the dish to the table, he learned that "seared" did not mean "cooked through".  He was "shocked" at the amount of redness in the tuna.  So, he sent it back to the kitchen to be cooked further.  When the waitress brought it back to the table, the plate was covered with battle-ship gray pieces of the sushi-grade tuna.  Hmm... But the gentleman ate every bite, so...  The customer is always right.  ;)

On the other side of us was a young woman who ordered one of their signature pizzas.  After it had been brought to her table, we noticed that the pizza just sat there for a couple of minutes.  She wasn't touching it all, but her friend had dug into her sandwich..  Hmm... Maybe she's waiting for it to cool?  She motioned to her waitress and asked for something.  The pizza continued to sit there.  And get cold.  After a few more minutes, she eventually got up in a little huff, and returned to her seat.  The pizza continued to sit there.  The young woman took out a cigarette and started puffing on it "with purpose".  Then she started bitching to her friend - who had practically finished her sandwich by this time.  I couldn't hear her since it was a little noisy, and she was a bit out of earshot.  But her "attitude" was definitely projecting.  A few minutes later, the waitress came by with a small dish of ranch dressing.  "Oh, finally!  I can eat my pizza!!"  So... The only reason she wasn't eating her pizza was that she had no ranch dressing to dip her pizza crust in.  Well...  I guess if that's how you need to eat your pizza, that's how you need to eat your pizza...

Like I said, sort of "funny"...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2005, 06:59:14 PM »

There's nothing funnier than people - unless it's two of them.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2005, 07:01:26 PM »

A random Amazon search revealed that there is a nice 2-disc 5-movie Gary Cooper DVD set coming in May.  It will include:

Peter Ibbetson
The Lives of a Bengal Lancer
The General Died at Dawn
Beau Geste (!)
Design for Living

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2005, 07:21:21 PM »

I definitely have the same phobia, CharlesPogue. If I want something off the net, the Gal orders it for me and I pay her. Maybe a bit annoying for her, but she understands. I was actually victimized by an identity theft once, not internet related but it has left me paranoid nonetheless.

I pay for Ebay purchases with money orders or checks. No problems so far.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2005, 07:24:34 PM »

I gotta figure something out. As MBarnum so kindly pointed out, they are showing a whole slew of Wheeler and Woolsey tomorrow on the TCM. Like 5 or 6 movies, only one of which I've seen! How the heck can I record all of these? Not to mention in late afternoon they are showing the Ritz Brothers' STRAIGHT PLACE AND SHOW, which I have never seen. What to do????

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2005, 07:29:26 PM »

Lives of a Bengal Lancer is on right now on TCM!

I had a bengal lanced once.  I didn't find it a particularly cinematic event.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2005, 07:34:30 PM »

Hmmm...I am here, and yet my name does not appear at the top of the page.  Ominous...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2005, 07:44:43 PM »

Singing-wise, the closest thing would be on the BK-produced "Jeepers Creepers" CD.  I'm part of the "village people" who back up Judy Kaye.
Cast as the Cop?  Indian?  Construction Worker?  Army Guy?  Cowboy?

Leather Guy?   :o

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2005, 07:59:38 PM »

Cast as the Cop?  Indian?  Construction Worker?  Army Guy?  Cowboy?

Leather Guy?   :o

;)

Short order cook!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up