Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I'VE SAID IT AND I'M GLAD  (Read 19587 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I'VE SAID IT AND I'M GLAD
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2005, 10:27:12 AM »

AH!  Mystery solved....

It's my parents' Wedding Anniversary.  -Which I always think is in May for some unknown reason...

I just called my brother and he cleared up the mystery for me.  He, too, was sent an "invitation", and he really wasn't sure what it was for either since there's nothing indicated on the paper.

Hmm.. Guess I should get a card or something now...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2005, 10:33:25 AM »

PAGE THREE DANCE!!!!!

FREESTYLE!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2005, 10:33:54 AM »

-Is that even a dance?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2005, 10:41:11 AM »

YIKES!

Just checked the current pollen counts here in Richmond....

Mold Spore
3360 VERY HIGH
Tree Pollen
3060 VERY HIGH

YIKES!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2005, 10:41:16 AM »

DR VIXMOM, I also use an outline - and I rewrite as i go along.....with another run through after finishing.

What script are you thinking about bidding on, MBARNUM?

DR RODZINSKI have you seen a Campbell Scott movie called INVASION!  It is the movie that THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA tried to be.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2005, 10:41:51 AM »

My allergies are THE WORST today they have been so far this season.  DR GINNY watch out for some HEAVY rain showers.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2005, 10:44:44 AM »

Hmmm.... I just had a reunion via internet/chat/IM with a friend I haven't seen nor spoken too in a while... Hmmm...

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2005, 10:48:23 AM »

I think Frances Farmer and/or Kurt Cobain just got their revenge department:  I went to Fred Meyer to take advantage of their 20% off boxed set DVD sale.  The clerk had to open the glass case, and as he did a gigantic boxed Nirvana Set fell off the top shelf and whacked me very hard on the neck/shoulder area.  I have a huge welt and am finding it hard to move my left arm.  They totally freaked out, brought me an icepack and had me fill out a customer incident report.  I wonder if this will be good for a gift certificate?   ???

The good news is I got the first 2 seasons of the Definitive Edition of Twilight Zone for a great price--first season came in at about $60 and the second season $35.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2005, 10:50:02 AM »

JRand54, it is an origianl script from ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE...I would love it! But I think the price will go rather high.

However, as I told Dan (the man), I found a place at which I can buy a copy of the script for $15.00.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2005, 10:57:49 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Anniversary to DR Jose's dear parents!![/move]

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2005, 10:58:04 AM »

Also,  A left over question from yesterday that I didn't get a chance to post:

To all our DR's who are professional writers:

When you write, do you just sit down and write and then revise later   or do you actually use the methods drilled into us by years of English teachers: outlines, first drafts, second drafts etc etc....?

I, being on ornery cuss, never do anything I was taught.  I have never done an outline for any of the books.  For me, they constrict me and stop me from ever thinking outside of them.  So, I make lots of notes about things I want to write about and use those, but I let my fingers do the walking and take me where they take me.  So, in that sense, the books write themselves.  The best things in the Kritzer books came because I didn't have an outline - things that were completely unexpected.  In fact, had I had an outline, the whole Susan Pomeroy story would have been over on page forty-six of Benjamin Kritzer.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2005, 11:00:42 AM »

DR Jose, can I hire you to take a new avatar pic of me?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2005, 11:04:01 AM »

JRand54, it is an origianl script from ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE...I would love it! But I think the price will go rather high.

However, as I told Dan (the man), I found a place at which I can buy a copy of the script for $15.00.

I put in a bid for some kind of 1972 Tony Award portfolio thingy that was valued at about $300-$400.  I bid $50 and I lost to someone who did $110.  I didn't take the time to understand how these live eBay auctions work.  I wasn't even sure when the auction ended.  Aw, well...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2005, 11:08:34 AM »

I think Frances Farmer and/or Kurt Cobain just got their revenge department:  I went to Fred Meyer to take advantage of their 20% off boxed set DVD sale.  The clerk had to open the glass case, and as he did a gigantic boxed Nirvana Set fell off the top shelf and whacked me very hard on the neck/shoulder area.  I have a huge welt and am finding it hard to move my left arm.  They totally freaked out, brought me an icepack and had me fill out a customer incident report.  I wonder if this will be good for a gift certificate?   ???

The good news is I got the first 2 seasons of the Definitive Edition of Twilight Zone for a great price--first season came in at about $60 and the second season $35.

Congrats on the good price, my sympathy for the  injury.  You don't think you broke your collarbone do you?

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2005, 11:11:56 AM »

Part two of answer:  I tend to rewrite as I go - I find it actually difficult to go on unless I'm happy with what's preceded, so I keep tinkering until I'm happy.  Even when I do go on, when I start in the morning I go back ten pages and do more fixing.  I also do any fixing if my muse has probs, then, once I'm done, I go back and smooth out all sorts of things.  By the time I'm ready to actually print the thing out, it's a fifth draft.

Then I give it to my handy-dandy editor-types, and do all their fixes.

With film scripts, I'm more like Pogue - for those, I really do have to know where it's going, because it's a much more constricted form - same with plays.  

For the Kritzer books, I had no idea what the actual "story" of the three books was going to be.  For the first book, that didn't come to me until page forty-six, when I wrote the real-life version of the Susan story.  But, when I looked at it the next day I said, "Ah, that's the story of this book" so I moved it and began part two with it.  And that became the formula for the three Kritzer books.  The color, world, characters and set up in Part One, the story in Part Two.  Interestingly (for me at least), I didn't even know if books two and three would have a story - I thought the life was interesting enough.  The fact is, I had, in the back of my head, the inkling that I could tell the story of Benjamin's friend, and I had the same inkling about Samantha in the third book - but I didn't want to go there.  I really fought it in both books, but that's where I was led and that's what I did.  Had I outlined, I just don't think they would be the same books at all.

In terms of the two books that followed, again lots and lots of notes.  What I did with both books when writing them is unconventional, but again, I prefer it.  I didn't know who was going to die in Writer's Block until I was a third of the way through.  But, I knew the two major twists going in, and I pretty much knew who was going to be the killer, although I left that open until I was half-way through.  Who should die became obvious to me as I was writing it - it didn't become something arbitrary that I just decided early on.  I set the scene and let the characters take me where they took me.  That's what jazzes me and that's probably the way I'll always do it.  In the new book, lots of notes, but I did know everything that would happen (although not necessarily how it would happen) going in.  I knew the layout of the book going in.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2005, 11:15:10 AM »

Well, I don't think that I will contribute to the Hair bad casting Topic of the Day. :( I don't know the show.  I have cast recordings and know individual songs, but that's about it.  I've only seen one production a couple of years ago and it didn't leave a strong impression...other than I had to endure looking at nekkid boobies. :P Not my idea of an ideal evening. ;) So that's that.  

As for delicacies and desserts, I don't think that I've ever had anything that was odd enough to remember.  I've never been an adventurous eater, so there goes my contribution to that topic, too. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2005, 11:17:33 AM »

Okay, let's get this one out of the way...

HAIR

Claude -- Telly Savalas
Berger -- Ron Howard
Woolf -- Patrick Stewart
Shelia -- Sinead O'Connor

Dan (the Man), you could add Persis Khambatta (from "Star Trek:  The Motion Picture")!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2005, 11:18:42 AM »

DR Jose, can I hire you to take a new avatar pic of me?

Let me check my book...  We can take one in the Mamma Mia! pit in two weeks!

Actually, while going through my photos, I was sort of amazed that I had so many pictures of myself, taken by myself.  Fun with the self-timer - and it's something to do during long tech rehearsals.  When I was on the road a few years ago, and changing cities almost daily, I snapped pics of me in each city, each hotel room and each pit/theatre that I was in.  Then I would send them back to Steve.  It was sort of like he was on the road with me.

There is also a series of photos that my friend, Chris, took of me and Steve.  Very nice.  I need to get those transferred/scanned to disk.  But I think I may have a few already on my computer... Hmmm.....
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2005, 11:19:23 AM »

But that's the grand and glorious thing about writing - there are no rules other than telling your story the best way you know how to tell it.  The way I tell it might not be the way another writer would tell it, but I just write the book I have to write and hope it will be enjoyable.  Thankfully, almost 100 percent of the comments I get are positive.  I've only had two negative comments out of all the people who've read the Kritzer books - those were two classmates of mine who didn't like the world I presented because it didn't mirror the world THEY knew at the time.  In other words, I didn't write the book they wanted me to write.  I've really only had one negative comment on Writer's Block (I mean REALLY negative), and the same has proven true for the few people who've read the new book - all have really liked it except one person.  

But, that's the marvelous thing about writing novels - unlike movies or TV and to a lesser extent plays, you don't have to change anything you don't want to, unless, that is, your publisher DEMANDS it, and then you have the choice of pulling the book.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2005, 11:20:07 AM »

Now, enough of that - where in tarnation IS Jessica Skerritt?  That's the important question.

FRIZZY!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2005, 11:20:58 AM »

Excellent Hair casts.  Excellent Hair Casts - that's the title of my next novel.

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2005, 11:24:13 AM »

Delicacies and adventurous eating: my favorite thing to do is try new and exotic or strange foods!

In fourth grade we tried chocolate covered ants!

More recently I have had boiled chicken's feet...I often have Menudo (tripe soup)...I love eel and even have some canned eel in my cupboard. Frogs legs and pigs feet I have eaten and liked.

I bought cow brains once and was going to cook them, but just couldn't figure out how...but if I could find a diner that served them I would order them.

I have cooked cow tongue in my crock-pot...and I have bought head cheese for sandwiches.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2005, 11:34:00 AM »

I Cooked Cow Tongue in my Crock Pot - that's the title of my next novel.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2005, 11:45:09 AM »

One thing if you're going into professional writing...and trying to sell screenplays before you write them or are trying to get assignments or trying to sell a book before it's written, you better know how to outline.  Because they will pretty much want to know what you're going to write before you write it.  The days of selling a screenplay or a book on just a line or two are long past.

Unlike Bruce, the outline for me is freeing.  I can stray from the path as often as I like because I know how to get back to the main road no matter where I wander.

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2005, 11:45:28 AM »

I ate many unusual things when I visited Japan, also.

And speaking if Japan...where has Hisaka been lately??

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2005, 11:46:25 AM »

BK, did you enjoy todays Jessica Skerritt photos?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2005, 11:51:41 AM »

Delicacies and adventurous eating: my favorite thing to do is try new and exotic or strange foods!

In fourth grade we tried chocolate covered ants!

More recently I have had boiled chicken's feet...I often have Menudo (tripe soup)...I love eel and even have some canned eel in my cupboard. Frogs legs and pigs feet I have eaten and liked.

I bought cow brains once and was going to cook them, but just couldn't figure out how...but if I could find a diner that served them I would order them.

I have cooked cow tongue in my crock-pot...and I have bought head cheese for sandwiches.

I knew I liked you a lot, DR MBarnum!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2005, 11:52:14 AM »

RE: vanishing food: When I was little we had an egg that disappeard, from a pot of boiling water

Mom put  the egg in to boil for my breakfast and we went in the other room so she could "do" my hair, and we got distracted by one or the other of my little brothers We suddenly heard a "POP" from the kitchen.  We ran into the kitchen where we discovered the pot boiled dry, but no egg!  We looked on the ceiling on the floor, in the burners, behind the stove...the egg  just vanished! My dad to this day insists it fell into the  "fourth dimension" from Twilight Zone!!

It went to the land where bad eggs go.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2005, 11:54:25 AM »

Preeeesenting!

Here we are in color.  These pics were taken about four or five years ago.  I think.  In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2005, 11:56:27 AM »

And here we are in black & white.  This is actually just a scan off the contact sheet.  Not bad.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up