Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RICHARD WITH AN R, NOT JOHANN WITH A J  (Read 3519 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
RICHARD WITH AN R, NOT JOHANN WITH A J
« on: October 10, 2020, 12:13:01 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were notes with an N, and now it is time for you to post until the cows with a C come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: RICHARD WITH AN R, NOT JOHANN WITH A J
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 12:14:21 AM »

And the word of the day is: NEWFANGLED!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 12:26:51 AM »

Sasha seems like a sweetheart. 

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 12:27:03 AM »

'night

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 12:33:22 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I've mentioned this before (but not in a while) but I have a set of slides that I bought on eBay.  They were taken and sold by Gorman Bechard, and it turns out that Vixmom actually went out with him a few times back in the day.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 12:36:21 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 12:40:24 AM »

Good night, Jane.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 12:48:54 AM »

Today, the family is going to my sister's to play Scrabble.  My mom love the game (and wins more than anyone else in the family), so we'll play that instead of Phase 10, which we played yesterday, anyway.

George

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 12:49:11 AM »

And now, I'm off to bed.

Have a good day, all!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 01:04:42 AM »

I love Scrabble.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 03:18:29 AM »

I love the Sondheim "scrabble" album!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 03:19:21 AM »

DR Ginny, forgot to mention what a hair-raising story you posted yesterday!        :P
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 03:20:37 AM »

I'm not familiar with Phase 10. Does it require a special deck of cards?

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 03:21:12 AM »

The DH and I are going to experiment with Cribbage. Just ordered a Cribbage board online.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 03:28:08 AM »

Thanks for that interesting link on the Cleveland Orchestra, DR ChasSmith. Spent many happy evenings listening to them when I was in college and nearby. At the time, the music director was Christoph von Dohnányi. Which is fun to say.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 03:30:04 AM »

DR Jane, we raised dogs for Guiding Eyes for the Blind (in NY) many years ago. It was so hard to give them up, but oh so rewarding to attend the graduation ceremonies and meet the people "our" dogs had been assigned to!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2020, 04:06:29 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2020, 04:07:29 AM »

I would rather be in bed, but three hungry cats put the kibosh on it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2020, 04:09:15 AM »

This morning I will make a trip to the lobby to pick up yesterday's mail and a few packages.  After that I will work on my orchestration.  I would like to get 40-50 bars written today, if possible.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2020, 04:27:59 AM »

Last night I watched the 1933 film of Noel Coward's upstairs-downstairs epic play, Cavalcade. I liked much of it but I think I like the play more.  The cast, though, is amazing.  I've always loved Una O'Connor, from Bride of Frankenstein to Witness for the Prosecution, but her performance as Annie, former maid to the Marryots and later wife of a drunken pub owner and mother of a stage star, is complex and richer than her usual comic cameo appearances. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2020, 04:31:02 AM »

I was careless with my possessions in the 1970s.  I had letters from Lotte Lenya and Benjamin Britten that have completely vanished.  I think the only collectible item I have today is an original George Gershwin drawing that Leonore Gershwin, Ira's widow, gave me as an opening night gift around 1988.

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2020, 04:54:17 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2020, 05:04:03 AM »

Richard with an R tends to go on a little too long. And there's so much of him! Those prone to being diabetic had best take BK's observations seriously.

In the scheme of things, I know relatively little of his output. But I'm at the point at which I don't feel the need to know any more. Actually, if truth be told, I was at that point quite a few years ago. And yet, his works and the parts of his works that I love are some of the most magnificent and drop dead gorgeous music I know. Isn't that a fine how-de-do?

ChasSmith

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 05:09:29 AM »

I was careless with my possessions in the 1970s.  I had letters from Lotte Lenya and Benjamin Britten that have completely vanished.  I think the only collectible item I have today is an original George Gershwin drawing that Leonore Gershwin, Ira's widow, gave me as an opening night gift around 1988.

Ouch!!!

If I think about it hard enough (and I don't really want to), I'll come up with a couple of painful losses myself. Probably not from anything as remarkable as those letters. But I know the feeling.

Now wouldn't that be the topic: "Irreplaceable Collectibles We Have Lost".

No. Let's not go there.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2020, 05:28:10 AM »

Kitty cleanup is over, and curious Stella has been both loving and irritating this morning.  She's so beautiful and affectionate, but her curiosity is working my last nerve this morning.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2020, 05:29:00 AM »

I have a letter from Mr. Sondheim and a letter from Ned Rorem and a letter from Lukas Foss, but that's the extent of it.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2020, 05:30:20 AM »

Back from an extensive grocery run. I only go first thing in the morning or late at night, to avoid as many people as possible.

For breakfast, I will be enjoying my impromptu purchase: pumpkin English muffins, toasted, buttered, and served with a generous slice o' cheese over the top.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2020, 05:31:58 AM »

Oh, I almost forgot - we also have a bit of notation, drawn and signed by Percy Grainger, which was given to us as a gift some years ago.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2020, 05:32:33 AM »

I realize that this "collection" is quite paltry, compared with some of the items bk has accumulated over the years.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2020, 05:34:58 AM »

Richard with an R tends to go on a little too long. And there's so much of him! Those prone to being diabetic had best take BK's observations seriously.

In the scheme of things, I know relatively little of his output. But I'm at the point at which I don't feel the need to know any more. Actually, if truth be told, I was at that point quite a few years ago. And yet, his works and the parts of his works that I love are some of the most magnificent and drop dead gorgeous music I know. Isn't that a fine how-de-do?

I'm very fond of R. Strauss' tone poems Don Juan and Tyl Eulenspiegel, but Don Quixote is a little too long for me and Also Sprach Zarathustra is endless, as are too many of his operas.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2020, 05:40:23 AM »

I have never seen a Percy Grainger autograph score, and to my knowledge, I don't think recall seeing much of Grainger's music published.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up