Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: FOR THE LOVE OF ART  (Read 3179 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: FOR THE LOVE OF ART
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2020, 11:20:01 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2020, 11:27:09 AM »

I have a question regarding book ratings on Amazon.  My cousin wrote a book called #80: And Other Dog Stories, #80 referring to the identification number of a dog she rescued.

After reading my cousin's post on FB today I am confused about the ratings.  I thought Amazon was rather strict and only those that purchased the books from Amazon could give them a rating.  Maybe, someone/Bruce can explain this to me.

"As much as I would love it, not everyone is going to like me our like what I do. That is a fact. So today when I looked and saw I had a 3 star review on Goodreads, I had a sad face. It goes along with a 4 star review on Goodreads. Goodreads is owned by Amazon, so those stars appear on Amazon.  73 five stars, a 4 star and a 3 star.  The 4 star person was kind enough to write something and I appreciate those words. 3 star person, not one word. It is hard to learn to improve without a few words.
So, I have a frowny face this morning. But there is nothing I can do about it. I am not going to re-write the book (although I seriously thought about it) It does not discount the 73 fantastic reviews. Some are not going to like my book and that is going to have to be OK."

No you can review a book on amazon without buying it on amazon. But you need to have spent a certain amount of money on amazon.

Goodreads reviews and ratings are completely separate from amazon reviews. Many people can review on one or the other. They don't transfer.

Thanks.  On Amazon period or just Amazon books?  I was able to rate the book so obviously not just Amazon books since I don't purchase enough of those.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 11:48:33 AM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2020, 11:36:45 AM »

DR Jane, continuing from above about your cousin's book.  The problem on goodreads is that a person could accidentally click on a low number of stars without even reading the book.  And also lots of people only rate books on goodreads without reviewing them.  But I personally wouldn't make too much of it.

I find it crazy when people rate books without rating them.  You see that before books are even released and the person did not receive an advance copy. 

It must have been a coincidence the ratings changed on Amazon after the 3 star on Goodreads.

Jane

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2020, 11:37:08 AM »

Got a pot of mushroom lentil soup on the stove. Smells wonderful. Used some very fragrant porcini mushroom bouillon I had.

YUM!

KevinH

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2020, 11:40:25 AM »

Good afternoon!

KevinH

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2020, 11:40:38 AM »

It's a rainy day in the neighborhood. 

Jane

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2020, 11:52:23 AM »

Same here.

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2020, 12:16:58 PM »

DR Jane, continuing from above about your cousin's book.  The problem on goodreads is that a person could accidentally click on a low number of stars without even reading the book.  And also lots of people only rate books on goodreads without reviewing them.  But I personally wouldn't make too much of it.

I find it crazy when people rate books without rating them.  You see that before books are even released and the person did not receive an advance copy. 

It must have been a coincidence the ratings changed on Amazon after the 3 star on Goodreads.

I find it terrible to rate books without reading them. But tons of people rate books without writing a review.

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2020, 12:17:30 PM »

I have a question regarding book ratings on Amazon.  My cousin wrote a book called #80: And Other Dog Stories, #80 referring to the identification number of a dog she rescued.

After reading my cousin's post on FB today I am confused about the ratings.  I thought Amazon was rather strict and only those that purchased the books from Amazon could give them a rating.  Maybe, someone/Bruce can explain this to me.

"As much as I would love it, not everyone is going to like me our like what I do. That is a fact. So today when I looked and saw I had a 3 star review on Goodreads, I had a sad face. It goes along with a 4 star review on Goodreads. Goodreads is owned by Amazon, so those stars appear on Amazon.  73 five stars, a 4 star and a 3 star.  The 4 star person was kind enough to write something and I appreciate those words. 3 star person, not one word. It is hard to learn to improve without a few words.
So, I have a frowny face this morning. But there is nothing I can do about it. I am not going to re-write the book (although I seriously thought about it) It does not discount the 73 fantastic reviews. Some are not going to like my book and that is going to have to be OK."

No you can review a book on amazon without buying it on amazon. But you need to have spent a certain amount of money on amazon.

Goodreads reviews and ratings are completely separate from amazon reviews. Many people can review on one or the other. They don't transfer.

Thanks.  On Amazon period or just Amazon books?  I was able to rate the book so obviously not just Amazon books since I don't purchase enough of those.

Yes you have to spend i think $50 on amazon (nothing to do with books) to be able to review products on amazon.

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2020, 01:00:13 PM »

Sunday afternoon greetings!  After my busy few days, I've taken it slow today.  Didn't even "go" to church with Richard, but we did spend some quality time together making our traditional Sunday lunch and watching the Bengals lose - again.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2020, 01:01:30 PM »

Here is a cute, 30-second video from the library where my career began.  It's part of a series about their pandemic response procedures.  DR Elmore might notice some changes in the building's interior:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3draiWnXZ8A&list=PLY75KN-23SJckacbISy_6gYKXZZXLThDw&index=4
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 01:05:58 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2020, 01:04:30 PM »

Thank you, all, for the nice comments about the card making photos I shared on Facebook.  Thanks, especially, to DR Jane for the comment on my hair.  It was the third compliment I'd received in 2 days, just when I'd begun to wonder if it's time for another cut.  When I saw the cover of the PARADE magazine that came in today's paper, I realized my hair doesn't look any worse than Martha Stewart's.  And she probably had a stylist.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 01:44:44 PM by Ginny »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2020, 01:25:07 PM »

Thanks for uploading that full, glorious photo, DR George.

My pleasure, Sindaw!  I just wish the image could be hot-linked and show here on HHW without having to go to another site to view it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2020, 01:26:14 PM »

I have ordered a deck of Phase 10 cards.

Great!  Hope you enjoy it!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2020, 02:04:38 PM »

I find it terrible to rate books without reading them. But tons of people rate books without writing a review.

There was a woman in my Ashland book group that often read about the book vs reading it herself.  She had much to say about a book she never read ;D  It was annoying and funny when we all loved the book and she had many negative comments regarding it.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2020, 02:05:07 PM »

Yes you have to spend i think $50 on amazon (nothing to do with books) to be able to review products on amazon.

Thanks.  We easily do that though I rarely review a book on Amazon.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2020, 02:09:41 PM »

Here is a cute, 30-second video from the library where my career began.  It's part of a series about their pandemic response procedures.  DR Elmore might notice some changes in the building's interior:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3draiWnXZ8A&list=PLY75KN-23SJckacbISy_6gYKXZZXLThDw&index=4

Very cute.  I like sanitizing your space when you are done, kind of what people should always have been doing at gyms.  Like gyms I wouldn't trust that to be done correctly and would also sanitize first.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2020, 02:10:20 PM »

Thank you, all, for the nice comments about the card making photos I shared on Facebook.  Thanks, especially, to DR Jane for the comment on my hair.  It was the third compliment I'd received in 2 days, just when I'd begun to wonder if it's time for another cut.  When I saw the cover of the PARADE magazine that came in today's paper, I realized my hair doesn't look any worse than Martha Stewart's.  And she probably had a stylist.

;D  I really do like your new hair length.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2020, 02:27:05 PM »

I think Billy Bigelow was a roister.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2020, 02:28:45 PM »

DR JANE some confused people also use the product review page to review the seller & item they got.......including comments such as "crushed when it arrived" and "took a long time to ship", etc.....or they just leave a few stars and NO comments.......although this wouldn't apply if the book is only available NEW.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2020, 02:31:18 PM »

Checking to see what happened this morning while I was fast asleep getting about ten hours of sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2020, 02:31:37 PM »

Relaxing and will shave and shower shortly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2020, 02:31:56 PM »

Made sure everything is ready and it seems to be.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2020, 02:56:16 PM »

I have an unscheduled rehearsal beginning in five minutes.....if I'm not around for the show....that's were I be.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2020, 03:09:35 PM »

We watched a very well done and very disturbing documentary on Netflix this afternoon called The Social Dilemma. It's about how social media is changing society, and how the "customers" are the advertisers and we, the "users," are the product.  Highly recommended.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2020, 03:10:09 PM »

Two hours to show time :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2020, 03:10:36 PM »

When there's a Kritzerland show no one can make an unscheduled rehearsal - please inform your people.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2020, 03:13:31 PM »

We watched a very well done and very disturbing documentary on Netflix this afternoon called The Social Dilemma. It's about how social media is changing society, and how the "customers" are the advertisers and we, the "users," are the product.  Highly recommended.

Scary.

Jane

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2020, 03:13:59 PM »

Two hours to show time :)

Have a good show.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up