Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: COIF THE DO  (Read 21062 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:COIF THE DO
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2005, 02:24:26 PM »

And now...

"My Foolish Heart"

The entire score to Sunday In the Park with George - especially "Lesson #8".

Is this the Kurt Weill or the Victor Young song?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2005, 02:28:26 PM »

Nurse Jane is home!  I missed you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2005, 02:34:58 PM »

I wish I had written:

Rhapsody in Blue
Slaughter on Tenth Avenue
The Warsaw Concerto

Joanna
Sometimes a Day Goes By
O Holy Night
The Man That Got Away
Being Alive
I'm Still Here
Once upon A Time
New Tork, New York
Over the Rainbow

What do you mean, "I sound gay"?

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2005, 02:39:44 PM »

Any chance you could help me out here in Richmond next week?

Ha!  You might be sorry if I did.  I'm quite merciless when it comes to cleaning out other people's clutter.

But I have done a fair to middlin' job with my own stuff, today.  The boxes are all sliced and tied and ready for Monday's recycling pick-up.  Some of the sturdier boxes are now packed with computer programming books I no longer want, ready to be driven to the Goodwill, along with a bag of clothing.  Unwanted magazines are bundled and the few I want to save articles from are placed next my scanner.  All in all, a good day's work.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2005, 02:41:13 PM »

Welcome back, Jane!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2005, 02:48:54 PM »

Hi Jane, hope you had a wonderful visit to the Rose City!

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2005, 02:53:25 PM »

Just finished watching the DVD of Lil Abner..what memories that brought back of our Phoenix High School production! LOL!

What stumps me is how our high school was able to put on such a provocative play....and no one complained! It really is a very sexually suggestive show.

This play was one of the few, or only, times that the school jocks and the drama people ever together for any amount of time. Lil Abner was played by one of the biggest football stars at our school and of course the "after" husbands were all the really built athletes...I don't recall any of them actually speaking to any of us theater people, however. LOL!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2005, 03:01:36 PM »

Thanks you Jose, TCB, elmore, DtM and MBarnum.

We had a wonderful time in Portland.  Keith enjoyed driving my car there for one last trip.  A bit teary eyed I said goodbye to my cherished car, but I shall keep all the good memories of young children and Echo which are part of the car I had for thirteen years.  Bryan was very pleased with how good it looked after we had it detailed.  Shortly after we passed the car along to Bryan I received a call from the Toyota dealership informing us my new car had arrived.  Keith is in the car now trying to figure out how to work the satellite radio and the other hi-tech gadgets in it, such as setting the clock to the correct time.  ;D

Jed

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2005, 03:08:28 PM »

What do you mean, "I sound gay"?

And what does it mean that I'd agree on a number of your choices?

Also...
Piano Concerto in F (Gershwin)
Trois Chansons (Debussy)
What Can You Lose? (Sondheim)
Ave Maria (Beibl)
...and, as Jose said, most of the score of SITPWG (especially "Children and Art" for me)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jane

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2005, 03:09:37 PM »

We had a successful trip accomplishing the shopping we needed to get done, a great visit with Bryan and a superb meal on Keith’s birthday at our favorite Indian restaurant Plainfield's Mayur http://www.plainfields.com/ .  For our appetizer we had Papadums and Somosa’s, both of which were delicious but the papadums were incredible.  For dinner Keith and I shared the Malai Kofta and the vegetable Bhaji.  Bryan and his girlfriend shared the spicy version of Malai Kofta and something else.  To round the meal out we had naan and a special bottle of Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc.

The best part of the trip-we really like Bryan’s new girlfriend.  :) :D :D

We returned home with a bag of egg (for me) and sour dough (for Keith) bagels from Noah’s and chocolates and Jordon Almonds from the Lebanon store. http://www.verdunchocolates.com/index.htm

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2005, 03:11:51 PM »

We returned home with a bag of egg (for me) and sour dough (for Keith) bagels from Noah’s and chocolates and Jordon Almonds from the Lebanon store. http://www.verdunchocolates.com/index.htm

Did you find any good chocolate fudge with dried cherries and slivered almonds?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2005, 03:16:02 PM »

Welcome back Jane & Keith.  And congratulations and best wishes on your NEW car!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2005, 03:16:24 PM »

It is cold and windy today and they are predicting SNOW tonight!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2005, 03:19:10 PM »

DR MATTH - I like THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN, although it goes on for a LONG time and some of the process shots are very obvious - but the scenery is lovely and the performers are attractive.  The only fly in the strega for me is the always irritating Maggie McNamara - what a pill.  Giving nearly the same grating performance she gives in THE MOON IS BLUE - and completely self-involved with her own cuteness and coyness, she NEARLY NEARLY sinks the enterprise for me.  It is saved by Jean Peters and Dorothy McGuire and Clifton Webb AND the scenery and music.  But it is a tough battle for them.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2005, 03:20:44 PM »

A bag of egg?

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2005, 03:32:52 PM »

Do they still have a Teuscher's Chocolates near Rockefeller Center?  Their champagne truffles used to be better than sex.  They closed the store in downtown Seattle.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2005, 03:43:38 PM »

DR Elmore: I hope you enjoy the John Mills cameo in "Bright Young Things".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2005, 03:45:59 PM »

>:(  RANT!!!   >:(

If an adult teacher/school administrator cannot handle a five year old girl who is throwing a temper tantrum without having the police come in and handcuff the child, then that person has no business working in a school.

End of Rant!!!
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2005, 03:47:26 PM »

And you are partially correct TCB, I did interview one of the muscle guys from LIL ABNER, the one in the pink swim trunks,  Mr. Gordon Mitchell who one year later would move to Italy and become a huge star there!

I have spoken with, but not yet interviewed, one of the other guys...Mr. Brad Harris.  Nick Dimitri is another of the muscle guys in LIL ABNER and he is still working today as a stunt man! He and Gordon Mitchell were part of Mae West's troup during her 1950s nightclub act.

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2005, 03:49:14 PM »

And DR Elmore3003, I could have sworn, while watching LIL ABNER today, that Vic Seipke was one of the muscle guys...but upon closer inspection I guess it was not.

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2005, 03:53:11 PM »

>:(  RANT!!!   >:(

If an adult teacher/school administrator cannot handle a five year old girl who is throwing a temper tantrum without having the police come in and handcuff the child, then that person has no business working in a school.

End of Rant!!!
Fear of litigation!! (I do find it difficult to contemplate the whole scene).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2005, 03:57:13 PM »

"L'il Abner" was a joy for kids and staff when one of the Schools at which I taught staged it in the pre PC days. I don't think a School would do it now. Another School at which I taught staged "How To Succeed..." and the show was boycotted by the PC Staff of our junior campus.
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2005, 04:00:58 PM »

Elmore-LOL.  At the moment I’m eating a little squares of milk chocolate with little crispy & almond toffee pieces-oh so yummy.

Thanks JRand.  The color is called phantom grey.  I don’t know what that means but to me it looks like a chocolate grey.

TCB Teuscher's seem to be everywhere I go these days, but then I haven’t been to Seattle recently.  ;D At first I really liked them, especially the milk chocolate with caramel, but I have decided they are too sweet and way over priced for the pleasure I get from eating them.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2005, 04:04:20 PM »

Elmore-LOL.  At the moment I’m eating a little squares of milk chocolate with little crispy & almond toffee pieces-oh so yummy.

Thanks JRand.  The color is called phantom grey.  I don’t know what that means but to me it looks like a chocolate grey.

TCB Teuscher's seem to be everywhere I go these days, but then I haven’t been to Seattle recently.  ;D At first I really liked them, especially the milk chocolate with caramel, but I have decided they are too sweet and way over priced for the pleasure I get from eating them.

Well, they are made with beef!
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2005, 04:13:41 PM »

I've always admired GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT and disagree with those who think it's dated now. I think some of the messages it offers about prejudice are as vital and meaningful today as ever.

If anything fails to ring true, it's the happy ending forced on the story. Otherwise, it's entirely relevent today about prejudice of all kinds.

When I first saw the movie I felt the same way about the ending, until I read the book.  The happy ending was simply the tool to get people to change the way they think.  And not just those who are obviously prejudice but those who aren’t but don’t speak up.   I realized even I wasn’t speaking up.  I  often receive “compliments” about not being “typical”.  After reading the book I realized simply nodding was not the correct response.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2005, 04:14:36 PM »

Good Evening!

Dishes washed.  Refrigerator cleaned.  Windshield wiper fluid re-filled.  Coolant topped off.  Floor vacuumed.  And showered.  Well, I showered, not the floor.

:-P

Notice how "packing" is missing from that list....

Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2005, 04:14:48 PM »

TCB  ;D I think not!  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2005, 04:15:54 PM »

One more line of storms is due through here in the next hour or so...  Looks like I'll be heading up to Fairfax around 9:00.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2005, 04:23:34 PM »

Didn't Peter Palmer (LI'L ABNER) perform at a Broadway Cares benefit last year, or the year before?
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2005, 04:30:16 PM »

Peter Palmer and his wife starred in a stock production of I DO! I DO! (Palmer also directed) that left a lot to be desired.....even an audience.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up