Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I HAS SPOKEN  (Read 2644 times)

ChasSmith

Re: I HAS SPOKEN
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2020, 07:07:51 AM »

Kristi just got a phone call from CVS saying that they're out of flu shots. She'd made an appointment to get one tomorrow. They said Walgreens and the other local stores are also out as of yesterday or today. She hadn't had one in years and was going to resume with this one. I'm sure she'll do fine because she's exceedingly careful and rarely even gets a cold.

But if it turns out they really aren't getting any more supply this year -- with participation up for obvious reasons, and greatly encouraged by the medical professionals -- how are they ever going to manage an eventual Covid vaccine?

I'm very glad I walked into Walgreens last Friday and got mine.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:10:41 AM by ChasSmith »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2020, 07:08:59 AM »

TOD:

Several, but I will go with the first one I heard that made me think....it's a Sondheim/Styne song....."Some People."

Just made me think that if you want it - go get it!  I was about 11 years old when I heard the first time.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2020, 08:22:16 AM »

I ordered the 1954 stop-motion film and the 1982 Met production of H&G, and I might get that other one DR Elmore recommended later on. Looking forward to kicking off the season with these.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2020, 08:27:36 AM »

Yesterday was J.S. Bach day in the notes. I forgot to post then that I have the Bach 333: The New Complete Edition, which contains 223 discs and which will take some time to get through in its entirety.

That's a LOT of Bach. 

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2020, 08:33:26 AM »

Good Morning - all is calm this morning as we go through yet another day with 5 people out - 4 people quarantined and 1 person out with the flu.  All hands on deck!  I actually only have 1 class today and it's in person!  So no Zoom classes today.  3rd grade and I will continue with the joys of learning to read music and write on the staff. 

This afternoon, I have the walk-through of the new place.  I'm very excited by that.  My friend Sabrina will accompany me as she knows all of the furniture and stuff I have because she has moved me several times. LOL.   Hoping all questions will be answered and the move next Friday (!) will be a smooth one.  I did order the truck last night! 

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2020, 08:52:12 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Whew, just got that one in under the wire...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2020, 08:52:53 AM »

The Radio City Christmas Tree has been set up for decoration, and they discovered that an owl was a stowaway in the tree;s trip to Manhattan.

Awww, how cute!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2020, 08:56:42 AM »

Our county is governed by a 3-member commission.  All 3 county commissioners have tested positive and one is "very ill," according to this morning's paper.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2020, 10:31:06 AM »

Good afternoon, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2020, 10:31:19 AM »

Crazy day so far.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2020, 10:32:28 AM »

TOD:

Like It Was from Merrily breaks my heart every time I hear it.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2020, 11:14:44 AM »

Kristi just got a phone call from CVS saying that they're out of flu shots. She'd made an appointment to get one tomorrow. They said Walgreens and the other local stores are also out as of yesterday or today. She hadn't had one in years and was going to resume with this one. I'm sure she'll do fine because she's exceedingly careful and rarely even gets a cold.

But if it turns out they really aren't getting any more supply this year -- with participation up for obvious reasons, and greatly encouraged by the medical professionals -- how are they ever going to manage an eventual Covid vaccine?

Good news:  Some stores do still have them, and she'll get her shot this evening. The supply is low in this area, but we're all covered.

ChasSmith

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2020, 11:17:25 AM »

More good news:  The Met H&G will be delivered Monday, so I'm assured of having at least that one over Thanksgiving weekend with which to bring in the Holiday Season Proper. A little Nutcracker wouldn't hurt none, either.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2020, 12:04:32 PM »

More good news:  The Met H&G will be delivered Monday, so I'm assured of having at least that one over Thanksgiving weekend with which to bring in the Holiday Season Proper. A little Nutcracker wouldn't hurt none, either.

When it comes to The Nutcracker, I've seen most of the videos, along with the other two Tchaikovsky ballets, and these are my top choices.  I think Balanchine's is the best, and I prefer this PBS broadcast to the film with Macaulay Culkin, although the color seems off.  The San Francisco Ballet peroduction is nice, set in San Francisco in the 1890s, which is similar to the Cincinnati Ballet's production, set in old Cincinnati.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2020, 12:21:22 PM »

As I read DR singdaw's post yesterday, I kept thinking how much more interesting JUDY would have been if Renee had spent half the movie making that shepherd's pie.

;D

Jane

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2020, 12:24:33 PM »

The fear of this is why Keith insisted we get ours early.  Darn, I was right.  They still would have had them in late September, early October when I wanted to go.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2020, 12:27:03 PM »

Good Morning - all is calm this morning as we go through yet another day with 5 people out - 4 people quarantined and 1 person out with the flu.  All hands on deck!  I actually only have 1 class today and it's in person!  So no Zoom classes today.  3rd grade and I will continue with the joys of learning to read music and write on the staff. 

This afternoon, I have the walk-through of the new place.  I'm very excited by that.  My friend Sabrina will accompany me as she knows all of the furniture and stuff I have because she has moved me several times. LOL.   Hoping all questions will be answered and the move next Friday (!) will be a smooth one.  I did order the truck last night! 

Exciting.  I hope it goes well.  This is the first person I have heard of that has the flu.  Of course it was connected with exposure to children.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2020, 12:27:56 PM »

Our county is governed by a 3-member commission.  All 3 county commissioners have tested positive and one is "very ill," according to this morning's paper.

Were they hanging out together without masks or taking any precautions?

Jane

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2020, 12:28:20 PM »

Good news:  Some stores do still have them, and she'll get her shot this evening. The supply is low in this area, but we're all covered.

Good.

Jane

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2020, 12:31:10 PM »

Bruce that was quite an opening on your notes today.  Kudos to you.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2020, 12:33:09 PM »

I also like this Royal Ballet version of The Nutcracker, choreographed by Sir Peter Wright.  To my knowledge, this was his first attempt, and to mind his best. I would guess there are now 3-5 other videos of his later stagings for the Royal Ballet and other companies that only get worse as he "improves" the work.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2020, 12:36:21 PM »

I must call my urologist's office tomorrow to set up this December CT-scan.

ChasSmith

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2020, 12:50:22 PM »

I have a few Nutcracker DVDs but I couldn’t tell you which ones they are.
Will check them later.

In the meantime, I have my favorite recordings which are:

Dorati’s on Mercury (I think it’s the first of two? - if so, I may or may not have the second)
Ansermet’s on London (my first one ever, and a real favorite)
Fiedler’s excerpts (nicer than just the Suite, and beautifully done)

KevinH

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2020, 12:55:46 PM »

Good afternoon!

ChasSmith

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2020, 01:01:22 PM »

TOD:

Like It Was from Merrily breaks my heart every time I hear it.

“Our Time” kills me.

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »

Were they hanging out together without masks or taking any precautions?

I am curious about this as well.

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2020, 01:07:45 PM »

At 5pm we will find out if any of the covid restrictions will be lifted in my province.

I hope that they will let 1-2 people go in other people's houses spaced 6 feet away.

What they are planning to announce is what we are allowed to do for Christmas. And what the kids will do for school in December. They were thinking of having the kids be off for an additional 2 weeks.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2020, 01:20:04 PM »

I have a few Nutcracker DVDs but I couldn’t tell you which ones they are.
Will check them later.

In the meantime, I have my favorite recordings which are:

Dorati’s on Mercury (I think it’s the first of two? - if so, I may or may not have the second)
Ansermet’s on London (my first one ever, and a real favorite)
Fiedler’s excerpts (nicer than just the Suite, and beautifully done)

Dorati's first Mercury recording, along with his Sleeping Beauty, was really spectacular.  I wish the Fiedler excerpts were on CD.  It's really good.  The Dorati was my first recording through the Columbia Record Club. I really liked the Kapp recording of the NY City Ballet Orchestra conducted by Robert Irving amd I wish that were on CD as well.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2020, 01:21:27 PM »

I think the Sondheim song that still reduces me to a blubbery mess is "Anyone Can Whistle."

Jane

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2020, 01:28:32 PM »

I just read that Richard Schiff has been in the hospital with covid.  He is off of oxygen and hopefully beginning to recover.  His wife and son are sick at home but ok.  I did not realize that his wife his also his Good Doctor wife.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up