Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WHERE ELSE ON ALL THE INTERNET?  (Read 15677 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:WHERE ELSE ON ALL THE INTERNET?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2005, 06:51:30 AM »

1971, a great year for me. Let's just say that if you came looking for me prior to that year,  I was nowhere to be seen.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2005, 06:56:18 AM »

Much music acquired yesterday. A few LPs purchased on the way to Elmore's after work. Then Elmore gave me a CD collection featuring Mac and Katie Kissoon's "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep". It also features the Bobette's morbid sequel to their hit song, "Mr. Lee", entitled "I Shot Mr. Lee". Now why would they want to go and do that?

THEN, I got a package from Tomovoz that had two further CD collections of classic and rare tunes from the late 50s, early 60s. Quite an awesome haul! Thank you, gents.

Also, picked up the second half of Wheeler and Woolsey.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 07:03:43 AM by Rodzinski »

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2005, 07:08:45 AM »

DR Rodzinski, DR Tomovoz has introduced me to some wonderful music that I would never have otherwise heard before! I will bet you got some keen tunes from him!

Ok, you have your tape...now I am awaiting your review of KENTUCKY KERNELS!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2005, 07:18:50 AM »

Hopefully, I can watch KENTUCKY KERNELS tonight.

Question for BK: I'm nearing completion of KRITZERLAND, and I wonder of the namesame of Bert Wheeler's Magic Shop is Bert Wheeler of Wheeler and Woolsey fame?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2005, 07:57:52 AM »

Hello. No questions to ask at the moment.  I have NOT caught up... I am woefully behind and getting behinder all the  time!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2005, 08:02:55 AM »

Don't some Disney DVDs have DVD-ROM features that install an interface on your hard drive so you can see the movie on the computer?

I know the budget releases like THE BOATNICKS probably don't have it (or FAMILY BAND), but the cartoons like BEAUTY AND THE BEAST do, I think. So, maybe, if you install that interface, the regular Disney DVDs will play through that.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2005, 08:06:28 AM »

I enjoyed the recap show for DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES on SUnday, but I think I'm going to take a pass on the LOST recap show tonight. Rehearsals and memorizing cut into a large portion of my day now, and there is just no time to see everything I'd like to see. I'm recording a few shows like ALIAS and EYES and '24' that I'm fairly confident won't be repeated this summer. The rest I can catch up with later.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2005, 08:08:29 AM »

Didn't get the Doris Day box of DVDs yesterday, so it should arrive today. Alas, no time to watch anything in it until Friday unless the director decides he doesn't need me at rehearsal on Thursday. I know a good portion of next week is going to working with the Cagelles which should free up a couple of nights at least for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2005, 08:10:44 AM »

A couple of friends of mine were in NYC over the weekend and saw both DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS and SPAMALOT. They liked both shows very much, but really liked SCOUNDRELS better than the Python show.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2005, 08:13:01 AM »

And I read the line-up of upcoming cast recording releases. Many of the shows currently running are releasing cast recordings over the course of the next month and a half, several on the same day. Lots to look forward to! (Oh, my poor bank account!)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2005, 08:19:40 AM »

And I read the line-up of upcoming cast recording releases. Many of the shows currently running are releasing cast recordings over the course of the next month and a half, several on the same day. Lots to look forward to! (Oh, my poor bank account!)

Mine, also!  Too many all at once...but I want them all!  (almost a Baby reference) ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2005, 08:21:32 AM »

I will repeat a question from yesterday for anyone who is a DVD technofile.

I seem to have a problem playing Disney DVDs on my computer player. I do not have the same problem with any other company. Does anyone know if they have some kind of encoding block that prevents one from playing it on a computer DVD?

Which title(s)?  I've never had that problem...so far.  I just checked my copy of "Aladdin" and there was no problem.  I didn't install the InterActual software that automatically started to load when I put the disc in my computer.  I have Nero.  It works fine.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2005, 08:23:28 AM »

Dear DR elmore, thank you for the answer to my "Pirates" question from yesterday!!    

TCB  I agree, Kevin Kline WAS the show and O! what eye candy.... I was extremely disappointed when I saw him next in The Big Chill... where was that curly haired  opened shirted swaggering pirate.. *sigh.*
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 09:18:17 AM by vixmom »

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2005, 08:30:56 AM »

TALK OF LAST NIGHT'S TAR:

A few things I didn't get to watch live:  I didn't realize that Rob's fake comment caused U/Joyce and M/Gretchen to catch an earlier flight. That is too funny.  But really Rob did go to 3 travel agents. So he did cover his bases.  What was up with all those t. agents not knowing about the earlier flight???

I was happy Ron and Kelly weren't eliminated. Even though I don't love them, and it would be easier for Romber to win with them gone, I still didn't think they deserved to go.  They have been extremely competitive.

In last night's show U/Joyce were the strongest.  Meredith and Gretchen basically followed them. However I was impressed with her climbing that wall. Very nice!  Next week does look good.

And as for Idol, I liked Bo best i think. And then Anthony. I liked the montages of their lives at home.  It's amazing how many of them come from such small towns.  I do think Scott will go home tonight.  

And how cute was Heather Locklear's daughter. Loved that part.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2005, 08:48:21 AM »

DRMATTH you could be right about the Disney "budgets" - but then I haven't really tried to play a DVD in my computer, so maybe I don't have the right program for ANY DVD.....although I thought Real Player would do that.  

TV for me.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2005, 09:00:22 AM »

Good Morning!

Well... I think I'll be on a mission later on today... Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

-This whole laptop crap really has me down in the dumps.  Very inopportune timing.  But what can you do?

I installed some spyware/adware software on my roomie's computer lat night, and it seems to be doing the trick.  There is one pesky thing that keeps popping up, but it doesn't seem to be crippling the system like it used to, so...  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2005, 09:04:30 AM »

DR Michael Shayne - I believe the Disney DVD issue is a copy-protection device.  I have some non-Disney DVDs that will not play in my computer.  Additionally, there was a whole batch of music CDs which came out over the past couple of years with the same sort of "safeguard" in place.  I remember the brouhaha over all of that mess, but I'm not sure if it's been completely discoutinued.

*I also know that depending upon the model and speed of your CD/DVD-ROM drive, some media will not play due to a slight incompatibility issue.

I'm sure DR Francois may have some insight/info once he logs on this weekend.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2005, 09:06:07 AM »

As for ASK BK Day...

Nothing yet... I'm sure something will pop into my head as I'm going through boxes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2005, 09:07:14 AM »

OK - Let me finish the rest of my usual daily internet stuff... And then it's into the breach!  -Whatever that means... ::)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2005, 09:35:04 AM »

TALK OF LAST NIGHT'S TAR:

A few things I didn't get to watch live:  I didn't realize that Rob's fake comment caused U/Joyce and M/Gretchen to catch an earlier flight. That is too funny.  But really Rob did go to 3 travel agents. So he did cover his bases.  What was up with all those t. agents not knowing about the earlier flight???

I think, though I may be wrong, but Rob kept asking if about a 3:30 am flight as Ron had overheard Uchenna say something about 3:30...and I think Ron misheard and then passed it on to Rob. So I think Rob was asking the travel agents the wrong thing. I thought it was amusing and it was fun to see Rob a bit worried for a change.

I was VERY proud of Gretchen...but she scared me, this 66 year old lady scaling that wall!

I am also very much liking U/Joyce, and it warms my heart the nice things they say about and do for Gretchen and Meredith.

I wouldn't mind if Ron one, but I wouldn't want Kelly to win! LOL! She bugs me!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2005, 09:46:38 AM »

JRand54,  Actually HERC runs at the end of May...unless they changed the schedule without telling me.

vixmom

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2005, 09:47:59 AM »

~~MAN ON A MISSION VIBES~~~

to DR Jose

Ben

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2005, 10:01:48 AM »

George, I went up to Midtown at lunch on the rare chance that because it's somewhat rainy and yukky out there would NOT be a crowd for the Scoundrels giveaway. I didn't say anything about going because I didn't want to get your hopes up in case I wasn't able to get a CD. Boy, was I wrong about thinking there would be no line. I took one look and decided to come back downtown. If I had joined the line I would have been on it for, I'm sure, the full two hours of the giveaway. Some people got there very, very early. Far too early for me who is just getting back to feeling well. I'm sure it will be on the local news (maybe national also) today.

Oh, well. I will get the official version when it's released May 10

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2005, 10:02:02 AM »

My question for ASK BK day - and perhaps DR CP can help with this:

What is a continuity and what is an adaptation?  Why would you need both?  Or does a person who writes one depend upon the work of the other rather than the original material?

Not sure what you mean here.  An adaptation, as far as I know, is adapting material from another medium.  A continuity, if you're speaking of a cutting continuity script, is an exact transcription of what ends up in the film - each line of dialogue accompanied by each camera shot and action.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2005, 10:03:21 AM »

Question for BK:

When you worked with John McGiver on The Apple Dumpling Gang did you discuss Leslie Parrish who played his daughter in Manchurian Candidate?

I only wish I'd been smart enough to do so.  But, I'm rather shy on sets, especially with people I admire.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2005, 10:04:38 AM »

BK and all:  what was your favorite year?

I remember liking the years 1958 and 1975 quite a lot.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2005, 10:06:40 AM »

Hopefully, I can watch KENTUCKY KERNELS tonight.

Question for BK: I'm nearing completion of KRITZERLAND, and I wonder of the namesame of Bert Wheeler's Magic Shop is Bert Wheeler of Wheeler and Woolsey fame?

I always wondered that myself.  My recollection is that it did have something to do with that Bert Wheeler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2005, 10:08:40 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I was awakened pre nine by the Pool Man cleaning the pool, but fell back asleep for another forty-five minutes.

CALUMNY, baby, CALUMNY!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2005, 10:09:08 AM »

I watched the first four episodes of my "Dynasty: The Complete First Season" DVD last night.

And WOW!  I'm in love with the show all over again.  The first three episodes are actually the series opener, called "Oil" with Blake scrambling to recover whatever he can from a mideast uprising overtaking all his oil plants.  Meanwhile, he's getting married to Krystal Jennings and Denver society is either agog or aghast.

What a wonderful wallow from the 80s. It's a retro hoot watching the show.  Some of it is howlingly ridiculous, but it's never dull.

And how magnificent IS Pamela Sue Martin as Fallon?  TRULY magnificent.  When the actress left the show a significant element was lost...and it wasn't something replaceable.  

The fun thing about "Dynasty" is that both Carrington children had acting replacements.  First, Steven (Al Corely) was replaced, and it was done via an oil-rig explosion at sea.  Steven not only had reconstructive facial surgery, but had a complete body lift as he went from a swimmer's build to a football player's physique (Jack Coleman).

And then Fallon (Pamela Sue Martin)...she had a car accident and was in a coma.  Not only did she forget who she was, she forget what she looked like and how she sounded.  She was replaced by a British actress (Emma Samms) of extraordinarily little depth or personality.  Poor Fallon.

I could have watched entire first season (it started in the middle of a season and was only 13 episodes that year) in one sitting, but the ugly truth of another workday stared me in the face and forced me to bed.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 10:16:46 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2005, 10:16:32 AM »

The only thing that truly impressed me in the first season of DYNASTY was the representation of Ted Denard, Steven's ex-lover. He was handsome, masculine, in charge - exactly the opposite of the Billy Crystal/SOAP stereotype we had had on ABC (though Crystal toned down the effeminacy later in the run). And I liked Al Corley's Steven, but he was (to my memory) not a hugely expressive actor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up