Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A GENERAL MALAISE  (Read 29856 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A GENERAL MALAISE
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2003, 08:34:55 AM »

The add photo function does not seem to work at this time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2003, 08:42:38 AM »

Interestingly, my HHW board has propagated but my direct link to haineshisway.com has not.  So, propagation is happening.  As I said, the only difference you will see is that you may have to re-log in, and there may be an occasional hiccup as things get settled in.  One such hiccup is still the ability to post photos.  Also, if you click to go to the notes from HERE you will be taken to the old site (where you'll click again to get to the new server - simple as pie) until propagation is complete.  Can someone go to haineshisway.com and get to the new server and try out the radio show?  Don't do it from here - do it from the new bk's notes page "A General Malaise" is what you should see.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2003, 08:48:08 AM »

I heard that story on the news also, Ann, but I thought they meant that Washington was selling one of our fairies.

MattH:  I'll bet you were a great teacher.  I will be interested to hear what you think about last night's WILL & GRACE.  

Media Check:   Another week of OLIVER, OLIVER, AND OLIVER (we are off book next week).  The DVD player is currently empty in anticipation of FINDING NEMO.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2003, 08:51:34 AM »

A longish appreciation of a Way Off-Broadway Production.

Wagon Trails Revue
Well, dear readers, last night I attended the annual show put on by the Mooresville High School Annual Staff...the book is called Wagon Trails - since we are the Mooresville Pioneers.   I say "we", because yes I graduated from this public school some years ago.

As in most schools - I assume - there are many vocal groups & choirs.  Some are mixed, some are boys or girls only.  The absolutely tippy top of vocal musical achievement at my alma mater is a group called The Spotlighters - the stage crew is of course called The Spot Removers.

On to the show.  It began ON TIME with a slide show of the previous production particularly featuring those Seniors whose last show this would be.  Karen Carpenter singing "We've Only Just Begun" was played under the presentation.  

The show proper began with the introduction of the Yearbook staff who were called onstage from different parts of the auditorium on cell phones with the oft repeated phrase "can you hear me now?"  

The first number - or the first I remember - were three girls dressed in Britney Spears short plaid skirts and tied white blouses, etc, singing 'Three Little Maids' from <The Mikado.  It was a cute idea, but because I couldn't understand what they were saying and the staging was so dreadful, I quickly lost interest.

Another comedy skit encouraged us to order our new Wagon Trails.

Then some mixed groups sang, and I couldn't understand them...does NO ONE teach diction along with singing?  I thought they were singing a song about Indiana and then checked the program to find out they were singing "In Vienna"!   Then there was the Jazz Band which did a very nice version of "Sing Sing Sing" which I enjoyed very much.  

Another comedy sketch.  I guess they were determined that I would order Wagon Trails.  This sketch had a "survivor" theme.   Would that I could, I was hoping.

Then came the Madrigals.  They were wonderful.  I could understand what they were singing, and the staging was very clever.  They sang an "amen" song and then one called "Throw Another Log on the Fire, Uncle John."

More "comedy" involving walking furniture reading Wagon Trails.

A jazz dance solo number that was VERY GOOD.

Then came two boys dressed in drag who were very funny - one looked like Edna Turnblad and the other dressed like Madonna.  They were introducing an all girl group Finesse....or as the heavy set boy said....in an exagerrated lisp:  Finessssssssssssssse.  Very funny.

Well this group was great!  They sang a song about angels and a couple of other rock songs with some really great choreography.  They used the stage and all of the members got to be in front for a least part of the numbers.  It was very good.  They were dressed in butter yellow short dresses with full chiffon skirts and lots of bugle beads, small straps with a yellow silk fold over at the bustline.  Really beautiful dresses and some good singing.

Then something else happened and it was intermission.

After that - a drum trio that rocked with the only imaginative lighting of the evening - black lights on white tee shirts, etc.  A couple of solos - most of these sung nasally.  One boy sang a lot of his song falsetto which was very irritating.  

A duet - the "Elephant" duet from Moulin Rouge that includes many songs.  It was done well - but there was a lot of noise on other open mikes around the theatre.  A bit of better staging would have saved the number, as it was, it entertained.   I am not sure I believed the boy and girl singing it felt anything about each other.

Then came the orchestra to do two pieces:  Danse Cardinale (?) and The Rosin Eating Zombie.  Okay, interesting and they were all together.  Would rather hear something I knew, but that's okay.  They did a nice job tempo wise.

Next up more "comedy" Yearbook Eye for the Nerd Guy.

Then "Genesis", my nephews group.  Freshmen boys and girls.  Cute routine...they did some really nice dance steps and moved a LOT!  Their second number was "Middle" about their lot in life and it was very funny.  I could understand them, and there was always something to look at.

The the Nerd Guys came back all dressed up and introduced The Spotlighters.

This mixed group really does some nice work.  They did three songs - middle number "A Little Less Conversation" was my favorite.  They ended with a gospel number that was well staged, but not their strongest suit.

ANYWAY show over....THREE HOURS AFTER IT STARTED!!

I don't have my Wagon Trails - I don't even think I have one from my High School Days.

Please if you are learning to sing - learn to enunciate!  And at least once every ten years, attend a high school choir show!   ;D  It will be a great reminder or a sobering eye-opener!  :P
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 10:47:55 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Emily

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2003, 09:00:02 AM »

Good morning!  Good Yawning!

It is 11:47 EST and I have already had three fullll cups of coffee!  Including and espresso from Second Cup!  Yippee!  I am "Excited Espresso Emily" today!  ;)

I am typing this in the arts undergraduate lounge and computer centre as DR Andrea frantically works on her The Age of Innocence paper for some God-awful English class.  She is frantic.  Almost as frantic as if she had drunk far more than one espresso.  She says hello between frantic screams.

DR Ann:  The Muppet Christmas carol is a TRADITION among my sisters and I.  We can sing the entire score off by heart!  "No cheeses for us meeces!"  Ha!  "Even the vegetables don't like him!" Guffaw! :)

I have nothing new in my VCR or DVD player and since I got the new computer I am far too scared to install Kazaa (it brought a TON of viruses to the old family 'puter) so I am also pretty stagnant when it comes to MP3s.  I am listening to "Zanna Don't" though still.  It has to be one the most perfect public transportation travel cast albums ever.  I mean - it's loud enough to be heard over the métro and it's upbeat enough to not make you want to throw yourself at an incoming train or bus.  ;)

Speaking of public transportation, the STM (that's the Société de transport de la ville de Montréal for all of you are not Jennifer or Andrea or Angela) is planning a massive strike for Nov. 16 and onwards.  I have no idea what I'm going to do seeing as I don't drive and I have no money for taxis.  Do you think my gun control bosses would shell out for a taxi to take me to and from work and school and work and home (all of which are of course on opposite sides of the Island)!?  I hope so, because otherwise I am screwed with a capital $. :(

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2003, 09:01:07 AM »

Noel already told you what's in the various media outlets, so...

Since I missed Ask BK day:  BK, have you ever read the book "TeeVee Humphrey"?  The Kritzer books reminded of it.  It's not the same story, but it has that nostalgic feel to it.  It's about a boy who wants to work in TV and his many amusing adventures thereof.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2003, 09:04:05 AM »

OMG DR Joy - I haven't thought of TeeVee Humphrey for many years....LOL.

And you are right TeeVee and Benjamin share many things in common.  Most of all, they make me laugh!  LOL...

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2003, 09:15:32 AM »

In CD player: PARADISE HONOLULU -The Hawaii Shochiku Orchestra. This is one of a series of CDs of 1940s Japanese-American Big Bands. Great music!!

DVD Player: Have been having a Brad Harris film festival as I prepare to do an interview with him. Watched SO DARLING, SO DEADLY and DEATH IS NIMBLE, DEATH IS QUICK last night. Today will be SAMSON and THE FURY OF HERCULES.

Still sick. Blah.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2003, 09:16:51 AM »

Wow, my Karma has almost doubled! That makes me very, very happy!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2003, 09:27:14 AM »

DR MBarnum our Karma is identical!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2003, 09:31:11 AM »

DR MBarnum our Karma is identical!

Now boys, no measuring each other's karma in public!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2003, 09:33:25 AM »

lol TCB.

DR Emily - perhaps you should dust off your skateboard.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2003, 09:52:35 AM »

Never read TeeVee Humphrey.  Still way under the weather, but the viewing situation for both today and tomorrow is much lighter than I thought it would be.  I thought I'd have fifteen tapes per day, and it looks more like six and five, so I might try to view all eleven tapes today, and then use tomorrow to start outlining the first show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2003, 10:09:02 AM »

I can't recall a time since the new board went up (except after midnight) when there's only been one person perusing the board.  Really, let's not have one of THOSE Fridays - I'm much too sick and I want stuff to read while I'm going blind viewing tapes.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2003, 10:27:42 AM »

WEL-

That will be happening in the very near future. Switching to a new host is part of that transition to make it happen (and sooner rather than later)

Does this mean that Donald Feltham is [sniff] [gulp] leaving???????

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2003, 10:31:51 AM »

In my CD player at work:  Brownstone with Liz Callaway, Brian D'Arcy James, Debbie Gravitte, Rebecca Luker and Kevin Reed.

In my (region-code-free) DVD player at home:  By Jeeves written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Alan Ayckbourn...only available in a region 2 DVD from England, but it was the Canadian production that was filmed.

In my record player:  Candide.  I was supposed to make CDs of two different versions of this show for a friend of mine, but I didn't...yet.  Maybe this weekend.

In my VCR:  nothing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 10:32:42 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2003, 10:36:05 AM »

I heard that story on the news also, Ann, but I thought they meant that Washington was selling one of our fairies.

LOL.  This reminds me of one of my first days on an aircraft carrier I served on that was homeported here in the Bay Area in the mid-80s.  One of the boys in my new shop was regaling me with stories of what it had been like when the ship had sailed around the world from Newport News, VA to Alameda CA.

After he detailed all the hoopla and fuss made over the ship as it moored at Alameda and hosted tons of press and family, he told me how excited he was to be here.  

What I thought he said next was that he went into San Francisco, hopped on a fairy and rode him all the way to Sausalito.  

I was a bit appalled, but fascinated.  Then it became clear, after a few more uses of the word, that he was pronouncing "ferry" as "fairy."

;D

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2003, 10:39:56 AM »

In the CD player:  Wagner's Siegfried.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2003, 10:42:28 AM »

Jrand:  LOVED the report of the Mooresville High presentation!

It was Indiana quaint.

I also loved the way it perked up as you were describing the outfits of the two guys in drag!   ;D

Mary Tyler Moore it was fabulous!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2003, 10:48:44 AM »

Ron: Hope you're kidding about Donald, otherwise I don't know why you would think that.  Donald is here and will continue to be here until the cows come home.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2003, 10:57:37 AM »

Hello DR's!

CD--Gypsy OCR, Avenue Q OCR

Record--Mack and Mabel OCR...can you believe I found the LP for like $2...maybe I should just by LPs from now on.

DVD and VHS--nothing lately...I haven't had much time...though I may be seeing Pulp Fiction for the first time later in the day!

BK--I'm so sorry that you're sick!  Would sending more pretty multicolored health vibes be effective at all?  Hell, you're getting them anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emily--My KaZaa days are also no more!  I'm completely paranoid now that if I download so much as one song, I'll be arrested and have to pay the equivalent of my entire college tuition for the next 2 years.  So I'm back to the good old-fashioned practice of paying for all (or at least most--I have some nice friends) of my music!

Jrand--Thanks for the account!  Talent shows and choir shows are always so much fun!

Ron--LOL!  I didn't even know there was a difference in the pronunciations of ferry and fairy until a few years ago!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2003, 10:59:39 AM »

Craig said the archives will be made available when you guys get a new host.  Donald is the current host.  What else was I to think?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2003, 11:03:41 AM »

EEEE! I am vexed!( Stanley Holloway reference...Albert and the Lion).  So I come on the boards last night and this morning.  And suddenly there are no pictures along the side, no karma points, no astrological signs, no little quotes.  No quick post box at the bottom.  Then I  decide to post a message about all this.  They tell me I have to log in.  Now I had pressed the permanent log-in button and have for the past several days had no problem at all.  But I log in (with my new password) and now all the pics and quotes and karma points are back.  

But "consistency is all I ask" (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead reference).  I hate computers.  If you're going to make a product for the mass consumer, it should be as easy to operate as your TV set (and some of them are getting damned complex).  It shouldn't take an engineering degree to operate all these so-called "conveniences" that are supposed to make our lives run easier.  I'm an old man.  I'm tired of being behind the curve all the time.  I don't want to have to learn anything NEW.  I want to rest on my laurels, dammit! My life is not being made easier. In fact, I have a theory that all this technology and all this access to an excess of information and diversion is why we as a nation are so totally stressed out.  We all need to partake of Li'l Abner's druthers more often.  End of rant!  Where's my hammock?

In the car tape player:  Righteous Bros.

In the CD player:  Warriors of the Silver Screen, soundtracks from swashbucklers and costume epics.

DVD:  THE SEAGULL, Frank Langella & Blythe Danner

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2003, 11:17:32 AM »

The "host" of the radio show is of course a different species than the "host" of HHW - a computer somewhere that keeps track of everything on the site, so that when we log on it is here!

Host:  Human.  Stay.  Host: Website.  New.

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2003, 11:18:04 AM »

Craig said the archives will be made available when you guys get a new host.  Donald is the current host.  What else was I to think?

Er, no.

Craig said:

That will be happening in the very near future. Switching to a new host is part of that transition to make it happen (and sooner rather than later)

That is to say that we had just changed web hosts and that should allow us to get more shows up from the archives.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2003, 11:18:57 AM »

Dear Reader Charles Pogue--

Methinks you should switch to decaf coffee.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2003, 11:21:30 AM »

EEEE! I am vexed!( Stanley Holloway reference...Albert and the Lion).  So I come on the boards last night and this morning.  And suddenly there are no pictures along the side, no karma points, no astrological signs, no little quotes.  No quick post box at the bottom.  Then I  decide to post a message about all this.  They tell me I have to log in.  Now I had pressed the permanent log-in button and have for the past several days had no problem at all.  But I log in (with my new password) and now all the pics and quotes and karma points are back.  

What happened was we in a sense shut down the community on the old server. Last night when you accessed the site you were accessing the copy of the site on the old server. This is why you were unable to login and post.

However, had you read the news and announcements posted in several places on that page you would have seen that you could instantly get to the site on the new host by clicking one link. For some reason you just assumed things were broken and waited until you logged in this morning.

Then, when you came this morning the host change had propogated and you were finally accessing us from the new server. Because it was at a new server the cookie that had been set to remember your login information didn't work. That means you had to log in once again but now, as always, it should remember your login information next time you access the site.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2003, 11:33:51 AM »

I’m in.  That was easy.

Jennifer, at least you made it to full member.  Others of us are stuck at newbie with no idea of our progress.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2003, 11:34:37 AM »

But it still won't figure my income tax!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2003, 11:35:16 AM »

Jane...50 posts (or thereabouts) gets you to Jr. Member.  100 posts gets you to full member.  I have no clue about the star system
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up