Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TWO WEIRD MOVIES AND A BIT OF GOOD NEWS  (Read 5262 times)

ChasSmith

Re: TWO WEIRD MOVIES AND A BIT OF GOOD NEWS
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2021, 07:11:49 AM »

I have been to Art's Deli, but we're talking many years ago and I don't even remember thinking about the prices back then. So I got on their website this morning and browsed the menu items a little bit, and BK ain't kidding. What they're charging for yer typical deli sandwich is shocking, but you know what else struck me? The photos of the food. With maybe a couple of exceptions, nothing looked special enough to warrant that level of pricing, and the photos themselves are fairly pedestrian. Everything struck me as kind of ordinary.

If the Carnegie Deli were still with us, the prices would for sure be right up there. But the servings would be humongous and I always loved their food, especially the pastrami. It was always just totally worth it. At the dearly departed Artie's on upper Broadway, you never had that kind of sticker shock, their food was always delicious, and you could sit there and talk forever.

I'm guessing that Art's thrives by having a very established clientele who won't budge until they're carried out feet first, and plenty of movie studio expense accounts.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:25:03 AM by ChasSmith »

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2021, 07:13:41 AM »

Today I'll be having a late lunch - inside a restaurant - with a longtime friend who is passing through on her way from her winter home on the Gulf Coast to her summer home in Michigan.  I haven't seen Anne for almost 3 years and haven't eaten inside a restaurant since early March 2020.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2021, 07:22:15 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  We have survived the April snowstorm, which was very weird.

I hate those late season things. It seems like last April was slow to let go of the little snowfalls, and we've had other years like that. The big one that I remember was the April 1st blizzard of '97. In my memory it dumped something like six or eight inches on us. I know I couldn't get out of the driveway to go to work that day.

ChasSmith

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2021, 07:23:29 AM »

My last restaurant was March 12th last year. No idea yet what my first one in 2021 is going to be.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2021, 07:27:14 AM »

Remember that day, years ago now, when we all donned wax lips and a fez?

Yeah. Good times.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2021, 07:27:44 AM »

We were all so fetching.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2021, 07:29:05 AM »

My last restaurant was March 12th last year. No idea yet what my first one in 2021 is going to be.

March 12, 2020, was our last time inside Kroger.  Today, Anne and I are meeting at Panera for a late lunch, so I hope it's not very crowded.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2021, 07:29:23 AM »

Happy birthday, DR Sandra!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2021, 07:30:39 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  We have survived the April snowstorm, which was very weird.

I hate those late season things. It seems like last April was slow to let go of the little snowfalls, and we've had other years like that. The big one that I remember was the April 1st blizzard of '97. In my memory it dumped something like six or eight inches on us. I know I couldn't get out of the driveway to go to work that day.

I moved from upstate New York when it snowed in June. No.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:32:23 AM by John G. »
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2021, 07:32:02 AM »

Very sorry to hear that, DR ChasSmith.

Have you tried subway puns?      8)

Ha!
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2021, 07:39:53 AM »

DR John G, I just finished reading the Ethan Hawke book.  He spoke at the virtual ALA Midwinter conference, which is what prompted me to read it.  I liked his speech more than his book.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2021, 08:12:46 AM »

Has anyone here ever sampled one of Mr. Yap's  d i g i m i x  remasterings?  Do they really sound any different?

John G.

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2021, 08:14:23 AM »

DR John G, I just finished reading the Ethan Hawke book.  He spoke at the virtual ALA Midwinter conference, which is what prompted me to read it.  I liked his speech more than his book.

I’m listening to him read it. It’s a good performance of a fairly unlikable character. When he’s strung out on coke, he’s revved up, reading fast, etc., so it’s more than a reading. It’s making things slightly more palatable. But I doubt I’ll remember much, say, in a week or two.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2021, 08:15:05 AM »

Has anyone here ever sampled one of Mr. Yap's  d i g i m i x  remasterings?  Do they really sound any different?

I’ll pass.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2021, 08:20:34 AM »

The writer of the new Philip Roth bio was getting raves. Now, he’s been revealed to be a real nasty creep. But I still sorta want to read it. Because of who it’s about, not because of who wrote it.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2021, 08:41:39 AM »

Subway's Complaint.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2021, 08:42:11 AM »

thanks DR singdaw.  Since I was the one behind the camera, there are no photos of King Louis....but I will find a nice one to post.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2021, 08:45:14 AM »

Here we see the title character and some others.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2021, 09:19:31 AM »

No. Life is too short. If I already have one of his recordings, there's no way I'm falling for this new this new con.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2021, 09:30:50 AM »

No. Life is too short. If I already have one of his recordings, there's no way I'm falling for this new this new con.

How is his La Mancha? I've never heard it.

ChasSmith

« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2021, 09:36:12 AM »

I "ass"umed that's what y'all were referring to, since I got the email about it this morning.

Has he ever clearly stated what is meant by "digimix"? I looked for a definition once and I don't believe I found anything satisfactory.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2021, 09:39:53 AM »

Maybe it means he did it with his own fingers.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2021, 09:41:20 AM »

I was thinking about gasoline commercials that used to be on a LOT.

I remember putting a tiger in your tank.....and Platformate that sent your gas mileage soaring past the other cars.....stopped in their tracks....

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2021, 09:51:14 AM »

I don't remember the latest date we experienced snow.  Because it was memorable, I recall Bryan making an Easter Bunny snowman in April.  I looked it up.  Easter was April 19th that year.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2021, 09:52:10 AM »

Today I'll be having a late lunch - inside a restaurant - with a longtime friend who is passing through on her way from her winter home on the Gulf Coast to her summer home in Michigan.  I haven't seen Anne for almost 3 years and haven't eaten inside a restaurant since early March 2020.

Nice.  Enjoy your visit.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2021, 09:53:12 AM »

March 12, 2020, was our last time inside Kroger.  Today, Anne and I are meeting at Panera for a late lunch, so I hope it's not very crowded.

Wow!

Jane

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2021, 09:53:38 AM »

I moved from upstate New York when it snowed in June. No.

;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2021, 10:45:58 AM »

How is his La Mancha? I've never heard it.

Ron Raines is a great singer but not the best actor. He needed a good director. Cervantes is flirting with those prisoners so they will like him and there's humor in the role. Raines is humorless.

ChasSmith

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2021, 10:49:51 AM »

Got a question:

I'm sorting through some CDs and I have this BK one called Rare Tracks that DR George was kind enough to make for me. What I don't remember is which book it went with. I got here after all of these had come and gone, so that's the only one I have.

If I recall the conversation correctly when BK was looking for this one, there had been a few others as well. Which books had them, and who's got them now? (Maybe the answer is always: DR George.)  :)   Because I'd love to get the rest sometime.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up