Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: READY TO GO  (Read 17172 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:READY TO GO
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2005, 07:55:21 AM »

A gentle nudge is all it takes to get us to Page Two.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2005, 07:58:26 AM »

BK, congratulations on the e-mail from Jessica Skerritt!  What does she say??

In my CD player:  a copy of the promo CD to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels through very kind courtesy of DR Ben!

Oh, by the way, according to the Calendar, it is Eliza Doolittle Day!

http://www.inforesearchlab.com/giftideasmonth.chtml
In honor of Eliza Dolittle Day, I'm going to listen to the original Israeli cast recording of My Fair Lady...sung in Hebrew!  It's quite good.  After that (and keeping with the foreign language cast recordings) will be the German cast recording of La Cage aux Folles, sung in German (I just saw a local production on Wednesday and loved it).  Then, Sweeney Todd in Catalan!  (with a woman playing Toby! ::))
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2005, 07:59:19 AM »

In my VCR:  nothing

In my DVD player:  "9 Dead Gay Guys" from Netflix.  It's quite funny.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2005, 08:00:02 AM »

And a Page Two Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2005, 08:00:21 AM »

Okay shoot me, but I love tv cliffhangers.

And yeah Kendra! (but what CHEESY JOB CHOICES).

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2005, 08:02:28 AM »

Well, the world's slowest reader (me) has news to report.
I have finally completed the KRITZER trilogy!
I will miss those characters, the rhythm of that boy's life and the unique perspective he had on his world.

Now that you are done reading, I'd like to know whether you related to the physical freedom that Benjamin had.  Growing up twenty odd years later , do you feel you had a  more "restricted"  childhood?

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2005, 08:21:36 AM »

Fox announced their fall lineup.  Only show i watch is The OC.

http://www.tvrules.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8161

UPN also announced theirs and cancelled Kevin Hill. :(
(that was one of the saddest season finales ever).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2005, 08:27:40 AM »

Okay shoot me, but I love tv cliffhangers.

There have been some that I liked.

J.R. being shot on Dallas -- the king of cliffhangers!

I was also intrigued by the Bobby in the shower season ender.

Abbe Lane's shooting spree on Falcon Crest.

Jill forcing Val to commit suicide at gunpoint on Knot's Landing.

Sam and Diane kissing for the first time on Cheers (not so much a cliffhanger but it did set up the situation for the following season.)

Who shot Mr. Burns on The Simpsons.

Who is Cartman's father on South Park.

There are probably some others I'm not thinking of.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2005, 08:38:56 AM »

Season end cliffhangers do not bother  me, but it is interesting how just about every show does it now...and I guess it has been going on a lot longer then I thought! LOL!

And if it does encourage viewers to remember to tune in when the new season begins who can blame the networks for going that route.

vixmom

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2005, 09:02:08 AM »

Apparently the world view that  the US is the evil empire contunues

MOSCOW - A Russian village was left baffled on Thursday after its lake disappeared overnight.

advertisement

NTV television showed pictures of a giant muddy hole bathed in summer sun, while fishermen from the village of Bolotnikovo looked on disconsolately.

“It is very dangerous. If a person had been in this disaster, he would have had almost no chance of survival. The trees flew downwards, under the ground,” said Dmitry Zaitsev, a local Emergencies Ministry official interviewed by the channel.

Officials in Nizhegorodskaya region, on the Volga river east of Moscow, said water in the lake might have been sucked down into an underground water-course or cave system, but some villagers had more sinister explanations.

“I am thinking, well, America has finally got to us,” said one old woman, as she sat on the ground outside her house.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7921587/

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2005, 09:02:47 AM »

Another great cliffhanger:  on Star Trek:  TNG, in which Picard has been assimilated into the Borg.  That one was a chiller!
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2005, 09:13:30 AM »

And this looks like an interesting court battle.

Wrong beer costs man his job
Bud distributor worker fired for drinking CoorsThe Associated Press
Updated: 12:00 a.m. ET May 18, 2005DENVER - Ross Hopkins still likes to drink Bud, even though he says a brief tryst with a Coors beer cost him his job at a Budweiser distributor.

Hopkins, 41, is suing American Eagle Distributing Co., saying the company wrongly fired him for drinking Coors in a bar two years ago.

“They flat-out told me ’We’re putting food on your table so you could put it on theirs?”’ he said Tuesday. “I thought I could drink it, no problem.”

Hopkins’ lawsuit, filed in a Greeley court, seeks unspecified damages for lost wages and benefits. No trial date has been set.

Jeff Bedingfield, an attorney for the distributor, declined to comment, saying: “American Eagle prefers not to try this case in the media.”

Colorado law says workers cannot be fired for a legal activity while off duty and away from work. There are exceptions, such as when a worker’s actions relate to an occupational requirement or create a conflict of interest.

In a court filing, American Eagle said Hopkins’ termination “was necessary to avoid a conflict of interest with his responsibilities to American Eagle and/or the appearance of such a conflict of interest.”

Hopkins, who was a warehouse supervisor for the distributor, said he was not wearing a uniform or representing American Eagle when he was at the bar in May 2003 with some co-workers. He said he had ordered a Budweiser but a waitress brought Coors. He decided to drink it because he didn’t want to wait.

The son-in-law of the distributor’s majority shareholder also was at the bar, and offered twice to buy him a Budweiser, but Hopkins turned it down both times.

He was fired the following Monday.

vixmom

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2005, 09:14:25 AM »

They had a cliffhanger on ER last night that I must admit put my heart in my throat  

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2005, 09:16:50 AM »

Now that you are done reading, I'd like to know whether you related to the physical freedom that Benjamin had.  Growing up twenty odd years later , do you feel you had a  more "restricted"  childhood?

Interesting question. I was relatively unrestricted compared to kids these days, I mean, my sister in Ohio now worries about her kids walking to the gradeschool that is two blocks away. To say the least, I lived in a more small-town atmosphere than LA. Growing up, I walked to school unsupervised; after school, me and a pal would ride bikes all over town having adventures. I don't think I would have been allowed to go to a movie by myself as young as Benjamin was. I would not have been able to take a bus into Chicago, say, from where I lived. But there was definitely a lot of time where I was out playing and my parents were comfortable having no idea where I was.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2005, 09:18:28 AM »

Well....everyone knows how the HHW cliffhanger involving me will turn out!

Another trip to NYC - sounds like it will be a busy and productive one for BK & CO.

Media check:

VCR:  Dark Shadows Volume 26
CD: GYPSY Original Soundtrack
DVD: 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2005, 09:21:29 AM »

The allergies are getting the best of me...whew....taking some powerful meds which make me fall asleep....

Last night on TCM it was Mexican Cinema night....Osborne still looks like he's reporting from Iran.  But I watched AVENTURRA....it was a pretty good melodrama.  And the leading lady looked just like Senor Wences.  I kept expecting her to say... "S'all right...."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2005, 09:25:26 AM »

The seductive brunette slinked towards me from across the room, her sheer chiffon nightgown parting in a way that television censors wouldn't have allowed twenty-five years ago.  "Darling," she whispered into my ear, "Of course we have J. R. Ewing getting shot to blame for cliffhangers on television.  Everyone was talking about it, and the first episode of Dallas the next season got boffo ratings.  Producers all want a piece of that action."  Her hands, out of camera range, reminded me of how her career had begun with a guest shot on Different Strokes.

"But, Sweetheart, that doesn't mean that every show has to have a cliffhanger," I mumbled as my cufflinks fell to the floor.  "Shows with continuing story lines, sure, it makes sense.  It's like how daytime soaps had almost nothing happen during the week, and then on Friday something big was bound to happen.  But if they start putting cliffhangers on shows like, say, Two and a Half Men, then I think they've gone too far."

She gently pushed me backwards, and I fell onto the bed.  Like a tigeress, she had me pinned.  "There's an easy way to know part of what's going to happen next, Pookiekins," she purred.  "All you have to do is find out whose contracts have been signed for the next season.  They're not going to knock off a character played by someone with a good contract, now are they?  Speaking of which, I've heard your contract is running out."

She had me there.  Wait, how did she get a gun in her hand?

*Click*

Freezeframe.  Superimpose title: To Be Continued...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2005, 09:25:30 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Of course, dealing with last minute contract problems re the show we're recording on Tuesday.   This has happened on every single cast album we've ever done, this last minute crap, and I really thought we'd avoided it this time - I should have known better.  It could scuttle the recording, but I don't think it will.  I must get ready to leave now, but shall return in a short while.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2005, 09:26:55 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

Well, the internet connection here at the house did indeed go down again last night.  It was sort of weird.  I guess they were doing system maintenance or something like that.  Since we're on a cable modem here, when the cable goes down, the internet goes down.  However, last night all the TVs in the house were still getting reception, but none of the computers in the house were connecting to the internet.  In any case, I was have a serious case of the "drowsies" as it was, and I ended up heading to bed around 1:45 - which is sort of early for me.

In any case...

Things seem to be working fine this morning.  However, I just wish the rain would stop.  It's been going on all night and all morning, and quite heavy at times.  The sound of the rain hitting the bedroom windows was my alarm clock this morning.  Oh!  And the rain also had a "snooze" feature too!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2005, 09:28:34 AM »

Good Recording Contract Vibes, BK!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2005, 09:30:11 AM »

I just have to say this whole "Cassie leaving the hospital after being in a serious accident and going through major surgery, and then having the Genoa city police department looking for her" has been making me laugh out loud (LOL, in internet speak) all week.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2005, 09:33:10 AM »

Friday Media Check...

Is it really Friday?  I mean, is it really only Friday today?  *With the extra rehearsals this week, a bunch of us thought last night was Friday - or at least hoping it was.  Er...  In any case...

Lots of stuff on stand-by, but nothing actually off the stand.  Again.

But there is a certain Bollywood movie that a certain DR sent me last August, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2005, 09:34:42 AM »

Media Check:

DVD Player: Team America, World Police.  Wonderfully un-PC.

Car CD Player: A Year With Frog and Toad.  The grandlads loved it!

Home CD Player: The Frogs and The Frogs.  Interesting comparing the two recordings.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2005, 09:45:17 AM »

I always liked the sort of reverse cliff-hangers that "Friends" would end up having.  Will Chandler (Matthew Perry) come back thin or pudgy?  (Which, unfortunately, was usually related according to his substance abuse during the hiatus.)  Will Monica (Courteney Cox-Arquette) come back even thinner and tan-ner?  What new hair-do will Rachel (Jennifer Aniston) be donning?  (-and that thousands of girls will be asking their stylists to duplicate the next day.)  How much more product will Ross (David Schwimmer) have in his hair?  Will Phoebe look she just had a baby?  Will Joey (Matt LeBlanc) - could Joey come back looking different at all?

Of course, in TV time, these "transformations" took place in the span of a minute or two - or even the very next moment.  The first episode after Monica-Chandler proposal "cliffhanger" was particulary funny.  At least to me.

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2005, 09:46:01 AM »

Friday media report:

CD (car) - Cast recording of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, inspired by last night's discussion with my book group of The Red Tent.  Sir ALW's version of Jacob's family is certainly much more whimsical than Anita Diament's!

DVD - DH Richard has some Netflix envelopes, but I have no idea what's in them.  I'd put money on the likelihood that there's a clever British sleuth in at least one of them.

VCR - Maybe I'll finally have time this weekend to watch A Damsel in Distress and Honolulu, which are both due back here at the library on Monday.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2005, 09:46:53 AM »

*And my favorite rolling of the credits on "Friends" has to be one where they hyphenated everone's name with "-Arquette".

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2005, 09:48:19 AM »

I highly recommend Aventurera for all those who like VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, IMITATION OF LIFE, and other like movies.

It is available on a DVD with English subtitles.  Yes, this film comes with the JRAND SEAL OF MELODRAMATIC APPROVAL with special kudos for musical numbers with pineapple hats and banana skirts, double dealing by madams with secret identities, knife-wielding cripples, bump & grind dancing while wearing a dress with knee-length peplum at a High Society soiree, and general sliding down into the depths of despair in high, high heels.  ;D

The star of Aventurere....Senor Wences....err I mean Ninon Sevilla.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2005, 09:49:57 AM »

Interesting history...

On this day seventy-eight years ago, on May 20th, 1927, Charles Lindbergh began his historic solo flight across the Atlantic.

Coincidentally, ninety-seven years ago on this day, in 1908, actor James Stewart was born.  Stewart would later portray Lindbergh in a film reenactment of that flight, The Spirit of St. Louis.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2005, 09:50:34 AM »

I would like to see Miss Meryl Streep do a musical number and then play a serious scene in this hat, as does Senorita Wences!  ::)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2005, 09:53:16 AM »

BUY THIS MOVIE - but be sure to get the DVD with subtitles, the less expensive ones do not have them.

Here Senorita Wences (aka Elenita in the movie) gets a subtle reminder of the rules of the whorehouse-cabaret where she works...temporarily of course on her way to marrying a millionaire lawyer, after she drives the getaway car in a jewelry store robbery.  8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up