Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FALL OF FACEBOOK  (Read 2502 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE FALL OF FACEBOOK
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2021, 07:08:20 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2021, 07:13:42 AM »

I do know we’re going to the symphony this weekend and that Carpathia Jenkins is singing with them.

I love her! Encores! should have cast her and not LaChanze in the Ethel Waters role in their Cabin in the Sky.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 07:16:08 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2021, 08:33:30 AM »

I was just looking over the Naughty Marietta vocal score, and two numbers that were on the old Smithsonian release from 1981, No. 15 "Intermezzo" and 16 "New Orleans Jeunesse Dorée," that are omitted from Harbinger's Complete" CD release.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2021, 09:13:27 AM »

From TCB:

Actually, my friend, the Titanic struck the iceberg on April 14, 1912, but sank on the morning of April 15, 1912. Which is why April 15  commemorates the day we now pay our taxes.  That way we can all experience that sinking feeling!

:))

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2021, 09:22:51 AM »

I forgot to thank DR TCB for correcting my (mis)information.  The "On This Day" website that I used stands corrected.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2021, 09:24:43 AM »

To former DR Ron,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2021, 10:12:55 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - probably six hours of sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2021, 10:13:25 AM »

Vibes of not too much water to those in the path.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2021, 10:13:46 AM »

I can't remember the last time Mr. Pulliam was with us.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2021, 10:14:31 AM »

I wish the noon o'clock lunch were later, but alas...

ChasSmith

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2021, 10:22:49 AM »

He was on Facebook for a little while -- way back when he'd just moved to the Carolinas -- but I haven't seen him on there in a long time now.

ChasSmith

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2021, 10:25:10 AM »

Ask BK (on the wrong day):

What was the occasion of that 1991 presentation of "She's Moving In", and who was at the piano? Apologies if I missed this information in the booklet. I did look for it, maybe not thoroughly enough. Anyway, that was most enjoyable, and the playing was excellent.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2021, 11:09:20 AM »

Ask BK:  (also on the wrong day)

What is the proper display ratio for The Court Jester in Vistavision?  The version from Amazon Prime fills the whole TV screen. That can't be right, can it?

Any other DR that knows about these things is welcome to chime in.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

KevinH

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2021, 11:36:18 AM »

Good afternoon!

KevinH

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2021, 11:37:29 AM »

Congrats, DR George, for paying off your mortgage!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2021, 11:46:25 AM »

My neighbor Judy says that those of us on Pandemic Unemployment Assistance will get six more weeks pf NY State unemployment, minus the Federal Government aid. According to the email I just received from the NY State Dept. of Labor, she's wrong. I need to call my state representative and find out what's going on.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 12:18:11 PM by elmore3003 »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2021, 12:28:55 PM »

~~~WEATHER VIBES~~~ to all DRs as needs 'em!!!!!

~~~Super Ditto!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2021, 12:31:04 PM »

Congrats, DR George, for paying off your mortgage!

Thanks, Kevin!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2021, 12:32:16 PM »

I was just looking over the Naughty Marietta vocal score, and two numbers that were on the old Smithsonian release from 1981, No. 15 "Intermezzo" and 16 "New Orleans Jeunesse Dorée," that are omitted from Harbinger's Complete" CD release.

I waa wondering about that.  I saw what was supposed to be the track list of the original vinyl album, and that had two extra tracks.  If that was correct, then they did record them.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2021, 12:43:13 PM »

I waa wondering about that.  I saw what was supposed to be the track list of the original vinyl album, and that had two extra tracks.  If that was correct, then they did record them.

They were indeed on the LP set. I once owned it. Why did Harbinger drop them is the question, especially when they bragged about this being the firsr complete Herbert operetta recording in their initial ads for the CD.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2021, 01:32:03 PM »

What's the problem?  They're stackable!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2021, 02:24:14 PM »

Ask BK (on the wrong day):

What was the occasion of that 1991 presentation of "She's Moving In", and who was at the piano? Apologies if I missed this information in the booklet. I did look for it, maybe not thoroughly enough. Anyway, that was most enjoyable, and the playing was excellent.

The recording of She's Moving In is from my club act at the Gardenia - it was the first time the song was ever performed. Rich Ruttenberg is on the piano.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2021, 02:25:42 PM »

Ask BK:  (also on the wrong day)

What is the proper display ratio for The Court Jester in Vistavision?  The version from Amazon Prime fills the whole TV screen. That can't be right, can it?

Any other DR that knows about these things is welcome to chime in.

While VistaVision could be shown anywhere from 1.33 to 2.1, no one ever projected it at 1.33, the Academy ratio. The recommended ratio for VistaVision was and is 1.85, so yes, it should fill your widescreen TV.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2021, 02:26:07 PM »

Back from a fun lunch with Kay Cole - Vitello's. Had the chicken Caesar wrap and a few fries.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2021, 02:26:29 PM »

Now I'm home and I've got the rest of the day and evening to myself.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2021, 02:32:09 PM »

Spent forty minutes on the phone with Apple earlier, because I got a pop-up thing that said my Airport/Time Machine had its name changed or some such thing and that it had no back-ups at all and would have to do a new one from scratch and to make sure no one had somehow gotten into the system and was trying to glom onto it. So, that was a worry and I didn't do the back-up. I ultimately got a Time Machine expert on the phone and she was great - we did a Malware Bytes scan of the computer and it told us everything was safe and sound, so that was good. She had me check a lot of other things, too, just for safety's sake. She ascertained that the device is ten years old and said it could have just been a glitch in the mechanics. On my computer, everything looked right - it was named properly, there was only one device listed, etc. So, she felt safe in doing the new back-up, which it's been doing ever since. I suspect it won't finish that until either late tonight or morning, as that's over 500 gigs o' stuff to do. I'm going to buy a new 3 terabyte back-up drive and back-up the entire computer to that, too, just to be safe.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2021, 02:35:11 PM »

I also talked to her about finally doing the update to the operating system - I'm two behind with Mojave. I told her I hadn't done it because of iTunes, but she told me there's no problem at all. It's just not called iTunes anymore - it's music-only and once you open it you see your library exactly as you saw it in iTunes. She, in fact, was screen sharing with me so she had me open iTunes then she opened her music app and said it literally looked exactly the same, the ONLY difference being there were no Video, Podcast, stuff on the left sidebar, as those now have their own apps. So, I feel safe doing it. She did say there's another new operating system coming later in the year, so maybe I'll wait, but I'm thinking I might just get to the most current one now.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2021, 02:46:11 PM »

Thank you for answering my question, bk!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2021, 02:46:48 PM »

Glad there don't seem to be any hidden problems with your computer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up