Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A BLACK FROCK COAT PLAYING A TUBA  (Read 20714 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A BLACK FROCK COAT PLAYING A TUBA
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2005, 01:00:01 AM »

Jose is staring at my this, isn't he?  Or is he staring at my that?  Haitian dog!

EXSICCATE!

La Jolie Femme

• I can't read your mind, but you don't know that.
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2005, 01:00:23 AM »

You may have it! I give it to you.  If charity means giving, I give it to you.

Reminds me about how, when I was doing a production of "Fantasticks" and qwe got the music from New York, straight, apparently, from a high school production where El Gallo had forgotten to erase his pencilled-on changes and found out some nellie-aunt schoolmarm had changed the word "rape" to "abduction". Jesus help me! How does that go?...

Abduc-tio-o-o-o-on,o-o-o-on!
A-a-ab-du-u-u-u-u-u-u-uc-tion!
Du-u-uc-tion
A pretty abduction!

There's the obvious, open, schoolboy abduction,
With little mandolins and perhaps a ...SUCTION?!?

it boggles the mind, no?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2005, 01:02:08 AM »

Shouldn't boggle too much, since they completely rewrote the song at some point even for the off-B'way production.  Just more PC crap because people are too lame and too stupid to understand the use of the word "rape" in The Fantasticks MEANS abduction, as is well explained.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2005, 01:02:44 AM »

I must now toddle off to the bedroom environment to get my beauty rest before mixing up a storm.

La Jolie Femme

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2005, 01:03:56 AM »

Wise words, etc.....Beyond the Fringe.

BOW_WOW_RUFF!...Sunday in the Park.

You're ALL too quick for me

And this?

Me 'usband comes to me, 'is face a mask of grief, sayin' "Rationin' 'as been declared. I says, never you mind. I'll put on the kettle, an' we'll ave a nice cuppa boilin' 'ot water!"

La Jolie Femme

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2005, 01:05:45 AM »

BED, I say! BED!!!!!

Kisses!

La J.F.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2005, 01:10:57 AM »

Good Morning!

Haitian Dog, reporting for duty!

;)

Topic of the day...

Guitar - Yamaha, FG-45 - I think it's a 1/2 size.  And I still have it.  I begged my parents for one... and, well, they bought it for me.  No lessons, just books.  I learned enough chords in order to be "functional" in folk group in high school.  And I can still read a guitarist's fingers and tell what chord and/or notes he's playing.

Alto Sax - Started in sixth grade - school band.  Mr. Ward - Barry Ward - was my teacher.  We rented a "dipped" one my first year, then eventually bought it.  I was always embarrassed about it - it was "painted" with a gold paint since the original finish was no longer, well, finished, I guess.  It was a Bundy - THE brand of student-level instruments.  I had it through most of high school, then my parents finally bought me a brand spanking-new Yamaha.  *We got a great deal on it since we had rented so many instruments from the same family-owned-and-operated shop.  Of course, shortly after getting my new horn, I dropped band.  I hated marching band!  UGH!  However, I often wonder if I would have liked it more if we were actually good... and had nicer - and more "breathable" uniforms.  Polyester for days!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2005, 01:27:17 AM »

Topic of the day - Part Deux

My mom signed me up for lessons at one of the piano/organ stores in the mall when we lived in Seattle.  We learned on Yamaha "organs".  I actually remember liking the book a lot.  It was a mix of "teaching" material, as well as some classical themes.  I specifically remember "Caucasian Sketches" in it.

*I also remember the Orange Julius stand in the mall... across from the Yamaha place. :)  As well as the ice cream place where one of my cousins worked.  -Bubble-gum ice cream with Chiclets in it, and Black Licorice ice cream which stained my teeth and gums for a few days.  But I digress...

When we moved to Connecticut, my parents bought a piano - a Chickering upright - and I started lessons with Mrs. Young.  At 9:30 on Saturday mornings.  Ugh!  Actually it wasn't too bad - I just didn't like the fact that I was missing my cartoons - especially the Kroft programs.

My first year, I went through four levels/books.  I was a very good sight-reader from day one, so it was easy for me to advance through the books.  And I also liked theory, so I made good time doing my "homework" in those books too.  I used a Palmer-Lethco series.

When we moved down to Arlington, VA, I then took lessons, from Sister Edward Eileen, IHM.  I took lessons in the convent before school, sometimes after school.  We used good ole John Thompson Books- I believe I made it to the "G" level.

Once in high school, I moved on to Mrs. Anne Alexander - which then became Mrs. Anne Heritage.  With her, it was strictly classical repertoire and technical exercises.  I loved it.  She would have group class every month, and it was fun reading through piano duet and two-piano lit with other students.  It wasn't a "prodigy" studio, but there were some very good players.  *However, the DC area is sort of known for some of their "wunderkind" studios - some amazing talent out there!

Then it was onto college where I studied with Dr. Sonia Vlahcevic.

And the rest is history.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2005, 01:28:13 AM »

WOW!

I just had a massive "case" of deja-vu...

Spooky...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2005, 01:30:43 AM »

Oh... And I studied flute for a semester in college too...  I never had the embouchure for it.  But it sure was fun practicing by spitting out grains of rice!

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2005, 01:32:23 AM »

And since it's now 4:36AM here on the East Coast of the United States...

Good Night.  Good Morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2005, 02:45:14 AM »

DR Tom, the show was surreptitiously recorded (you didn't hear that from me) but we don't know the quality of the recording yet. Will know more in July when Anthony gets back from Virginia. I will keep you posted.

It's 5:45am and we are about to load up Anthony's car for his drive to VA. Since we didn't get to bed until after midnight, at this moment, I'm rather tired.

Later.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 04:46:42 AM by Ben »

Tomovoz

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2005, 04:10:02 AM »

Thanks for that Ben. I didn't read it or hear it any where and especially not here and from you.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2005, 04:45:19 AM »

Mr. Morelli is en route to Roanoke, VA. Estimated time of arrival is around 4pm Eastern Standard Time (if he doesn't stop much which is his way of long distance driving). Good trip vibes will be appreciated.

I just came back from the diner where I had breakfast, two eggs over easy, home fries, buttered whole wheat toast and large amounts of coffee. A change from my usual oatmeal with raisins. Since it's a quiet holiday in New York I may walk into midtown and see if there are any special holiday matinees on the TKTS half price board.

That's it for now. Later, gaters.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2005, 06:25:17 AM »

You're all staring at my this, aren't you?

Actually, Dear Friend BK, I was staring at your those.

I could not sleep last night, and it wasn't a pain problem; I just couldn't sleep. DRTCB, sorry I let you down with the postings last night; you were revving up as I was closing down.  Giving last night's sleeping success, I should have stayed online.

This morning I have to hie myself to my producer friend Matthew's and do a bit of fixes on his Broadway Tenors concert which is coming up with Mssrs Brent Barret, Sean McDermott, and another gentleman I've forgotten.  I've also got DARLING OF THE DAY waiting on my desk.

TOD: I think everyone should have music lessons, and I'm appalled at the vast number of young men and women who never had any.  Actually, I'm more appalled at their parents' not pushing lessons of some sort. My mother's family was quite musical, but hers was a typical early 20th Century family in which home music making was common and centered around the parlor piano.

I began with violin lessons and failed miserably: I needed better ear training, and I've never been a success at pressing my finger on a string and producing a decent pitch as I discovered playing with my brother's guitar.  Piano was next, and I was much better there, although my left hand technique was never any good.  My teacher was Irene Price, a wonderful and patient lady who was one of three sympathetic and encouraging music teachers in my adolescence; the other two were my junior high school choir director Valda Wilkerson, in whose class I met DRGinny's husband Richard, and my high school choir director Helen Weinberger.  If the three graces ever need replacements, they should look no further than these women.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2005, 06:33:00 AM »

My secret desire has always been to be a piano lounge singer, warbling all the great American Standards.  Eat Your Heart Out, Bobby Short.

DRPogue, I find this very endearing, and I encourage such secret desires in one and all.  I have always been capable of singing just under pitch, and I was lousy at playing and singing at the same time; it's a skill I admire in others and wish I had.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2005, 06:37:32 AM »

I learned Japanese traditional dance for about ten years (three-twelve years old), as my mother had wished me to be a well-mannered girl, not to be a good professional dancer, and I liked dancing very much. However, when I entered a high school, for some reason, I quited it. I don’t remember why I quited it…  Maybe it's that my teacher was very strict with me and I hated it.  I think I needed more patience to continue.
I’ll post a photo of me dancing on a stage if I find it.

Danise

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2005, 06:54:39 AM »

Morning all!

I’m sorry I couldn’t make it back on the site last night.  Something seems to be happening—it’s like everything freezes up.  I’m having the same problem on a couple of other sites as well.  I don’t know if it’s my browser (but I haven’t changed any settings---that I know of) or Road Runner or the site I’m trying to get on to.  It’s starting to get very frustrating.

I worked on the lap top instead, transferring my address book and internet favorites to it.  I loaded the Adobe photo editor on it so I can instantly upload photos of the upcoming trip onto the site but I’m going to have to test that later today to make sure it works.

I’m going to take a photo, load it onto the laptop, edit and upload it to this here very site and we shall see if we can see it.  

TOD.  I had the usual lessons in piano when I was a kid but the lady told my parents that my hands/fingers were too small.  I could choke her with those small hands now because I dearly wish I could play/read read music.

Then there was ballet until someone told my Mom it would deform my feet and that was the end of that.  She never thought of tap.  I don’t honestly know if that was a good thing or bad.

Then my Dad got it into his head that I should learn to play guitar.  It didn’t really interest me.  It’s still sitting in the closet.

I tried to take piano lessons as an adult but it was too late.  It’s like I have a block in my head that stops me from being able to learn to read music.   If the teacher played the song, I would play it but I couldn’t READ it from the sheet music.   I kept getting so angry at myself for just being like a tape recorder instead of doing what I was supposed to do that I quit.

I also took voice lessons and had more success with that.  Not to brag but I was told I was quite good.  That’s when I was working my way up the ladder with a local theater group.  

That picture I used to use as my avatar in the blue dress was the night of my first solo at a fund raiser for the group.  A week or two later, my Mom had her accident and that was the end of that.

I still dabble.  I’m having fun with that singing software I bought—when I get around to using it.  It’s nice to know that I can still sing on key but I hardly think I’m American Idol material.
 :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2005, 07:07:31 AM »

I hope DR Charles Pogue got to see the Herc items I uploaded.

DR Jrand, not only do you know where to get Sod but also who to call if your ever arrested!  LOL!  Notice it's a 800 number.

Thank you and DR Jane for the kind words about the bird.  It would sure be nice if it was that little bird.  I honestly think it could be because I could see that this bird was just a little older then the first time I saw it.  Still no mistaking that it was a baby but the wing  & tail feathers were much longer.  

I don't know how long it takes them to grow them that long but it would seem to me that it would be at least a week or so.  That would make the time frame just about right from the first time I saw him/her.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2005, 07:11:31 AM »

I've way too many posts to catch up with.

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2005, 07:14:11 AM »

I still dabble.  I’m having fun with that singing software I bought—when I get around to using it.  It’s nice to know that I can still sing on key but I hardly think I’m American Idol material.
 :D

Good morning, DRDanise!  I think you should keep up your singing.  I personally believe that the "American Yokel" candidates know nothing about singing, and their professional judges are morons who know next to nothing about the musical values of phrasing, meaning of the text, or how to do anything but promote a generic soulless "pop" sound of their creation and promotion.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2005, 07:18:44 AM »

Being an arts baby, I started dance at a young age - six. I took  twelve years of tap and jazz dance as a kid (and took tap and musical theater dance for about five years here in town with some other actors just to keep my skills sharp), just for fun. In the South in the 50s and early 60s, a career in show business seemed a pipe dream, so I was allowed to take all this arts training but it was all for hobby's sake. I was expected (and I thought I needed to as well) to go to college and study for a "real" profession.

Anyway, in addition to the dance, I took five years of piano and during the last year of piano, I started studying clarinet in school and was taken into the high school band at age 12. I became the first chair clarinet in the eighth grade and kept it all the way through high school.

During elementary school, I took two years of baton. Yep, I never twirled a baton before anyone but my teacher, but I did take lessons because I thought it was so neat. I also took voice when I was in college, but I was so busy with studies and other things that I gave it up after a year.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Danise

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2005, 07:19:21 AM »

Good morning back to you, DRs Elmore & SWW!

Thanks, DR Elmore.  I do still sing.  In fact, I'm ready for the next reality show--American Shower Singer SuperStar!   ;) :D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2005, 07:23:09 AM »

You know, I often wonder if all the kids that played in school bands still play their instrument by the time they are in their fiftys.

They should have a Seniors Marching band in the Macys parade.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2005, 07:23:20 AM »

A friend and I are going to STAR WARS III this morning (I'm expecting him any second to pick me up). I should be back later in the day to give reactions. I must say I'm not expecting a whole lot. I did not like either I or II very much.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2005, 07:24:07 AM »

Being able to play the clarinet was a great asset when I auditioned for A DAY IN HOLLYWOOD/A NIGHT IN THE UKRAINE.

Danise

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2005, 07:28:01 AM »

In the South in the 50s and early 60s, a career in show business seemed a pipe dream, so I was allowed to take all this arts training but it was all for hobby's sake. I was expected (and I thought I needed to as well) to go to college and study for a "real" profession.

That's a shame but I have heard that before.  Unless it's a nine to five, five day a week, it isn't a "real" job.  Some people don't know what work really is.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2005, 07:29:47 AM »

Enjoy the Star Wars movie.  It's a lot darker then the others but I have a real beef with one part of it.  After you get back, I'll tell you about it, DR Matt and see if you felt the same way.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2005, 08:30:54 AM »

I am poking my head from beneath a pile of Bacharach scores in order to say Hi!

I started piano lessons at a very early age.  When I was 2 or 3, my Mom said I heard "Small World" on the radio and toddled over to the piano and began playing the melody perfectly.  She knew that was a bit unusual and I think I had my first lesson by the age of 4.  DR Pogue:  I, too, have very stubby fingers for a pianist (I stare in awe at some of Gershwin's voicings), so don't let that hang you up.  Someone who came to one of my jazz gigs was talking to me and I mentioned something about my stubby fingers and she said, "That must be how you can play all those notes in between the spaces so well."  :)

At various other times in my life I have played clarinet, drums/percussion, flute and various saxes.  I have absolutely no guitar ability whatsoever.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2005, 08:46:16 AM »

I've finished with Friday's posts.

Welcome, Jinx!  Post again soon!

I've enjoyed most of what Guettel and JRB have written.  On the other hand, I've never cared for LaCuisa's work, or however he spells it.  I'm looking forward to Light in the Piazza, when I can finally find it.

As for Elmore's pic from Naked Boys Singing, all I can say is that it's a good thing none of those boys were wearing dunce caps!   ::)

On to Saturday's notes (when der B hogged the computer all day because he had work to do, all of which had to be done on-line, but at least he was earning some extra money in the process).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 08:47:02 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up