Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SPEAKING VOLUMES  (Read 20307 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SPEAKING VOLUMES
« on: June 05, 2005, 11:57:57 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have spoken volumes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which will be directly after their speaking engagement, where they will be speaking volumes.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 12:04:03 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SPEAKING VOLUMES
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 12:00:22 AM »

And the word of the day is: HEMOGLOBIN!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 12:04:28 AM »

For me that's haemoglobin.

I had my first ever blood transfusion three weeks ago and my favourite Cast recording is not Dracula.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 12:10:04 AM »

We had our third best posting day ever yesterday.

And now - Dino at the piano.

HEMOGLOBIN, baby, HEMOGLOBIN!

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 12:10:12 AM »

Sticking to cast recordings that I like and I saw the production:
"Kiss Of The Spider Woman". (Vanessa Williams)
"Gone With The Wind" (London Cast)
"Gypsy" (Angela Lansbury) (I saw the London version)
"Sweeney Todd" (London Cast).
"Cowardy Custard" (London Cast)
"Passion" (Original Cast).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 12:13:28 AM »

Good Morning!

Ah, cast recordings....

The ones in my collection that seem to get regular play are:

Pippin
Baby
Big
Little Shop of Horrors (OCR)
Dreamgirls
Sunday in the Park with George
Company (OCR)
A Chorus Line

There was a time when I would put on the 3-disc complete symphonic recording of Les Miserables at least once, if not twice a week.  I probably would have done the same with the complete symphonic recording of Miss Saigon, but the Chris on that recording doesn't sit too well on my ears.

And I used to give Evita a regular spin.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 12:17:40 AM »

DR Tomovoz - Your news "yesterday" was much better than any Tony win!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 12:26:01 AM »

DR Tomovoz - Your news "yesterday" was much better than any Tony win!

:)
Fosca and Magnus and indeed Nurse Colin would agree.
Thank you Jose.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 12:29:47 AM »

OK...

I think I can WUSSBURGER safely now...

It truly was a swelll partay!

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 12:37:25 AM »

What a swell 2005 Tony Awards® par-tay it was!!

Topic of the Day:  I went through my CDs and these are the original cast recordings that I tend to listen to much more often than others:

Ain't Misbehavin'
Brownstone
Closer Than Ever
Follies
Gifts of the Magi
(with Eddie Korbich)
Little Shop of Horrors
Mack & Mabel
Nine
(especially the 2-CD original Broadway cast recording)
No Way to Treat a Lady
Pacific Overtures
A Rock & Roll Twelfth Night
(the original Olympia cast recording)
The Secret Garden
The Spitfire Grill
Sweeney Todd
Sunday in the Park with George
Weird Romance
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 12:41:10 AM »

Well, alas, I have not read the notes because they are not up even though I could get to today's message board.  I'll go back and read them, but I just want to jot down my observations re: Tonys.

1st Observation:  It has become virtually impossible to watch anything on network television any more with any kind of real enjoyment or sense of continuity because of the frequent and lengthy commercial breaks.  It's bad enough we get five minutes of commercials for what seems like five minutes of show but we also get the same dumb-ass commercials over and over again.  Do these companies really think they are endearing themselves to me and that I'll go out and buy their product when they inundate me with the same repetitive, nauseating crap every commercial break?  With everything chopped up with commercials between it, it is quite easy to see why Attention Deceit Disorder is now creeping into the adult world.

Anyway, the commercials made a show that was probably not much more than an hour and half seem like an eternity and much longer than the three hour running time, giving it no pace and no energy.

2nd Obervation:  Yeah, yeah, I know.  People tune in to see the musicals numbers, but I am much aggrieved how year after year straight plays get short shrift at the awards show.  

It is appalling that a giant like Edward Albee has his Lifetime Achievement Award presented before air time and, while we got his eloquent acceptance speech, it would have been nice to see his colleagues do him homage as he went up to accept his award (This never happens with a lifetime achievement at the Oscars).

And is Arthur Miller really only deserving of a couple of minutes as the lead-in to the Scroll of the Dead?  This man is American Theatre!  Can we not give him a segment to himself to acknowledge his great legacy to the theatre...can't we see scenes or just a list of his plays or stills from his plays like Death of A Salesman, The Crucible, View From The Bridge, All My Sons, The Price, After the Fall, etc.  What shoddy treatment for a man who devoted his life to the theatre.  Nope, can't give Mr. Miller more than a nod, we have to squeeze in a number from that tired old retread LA  CAGE AUX FOLLES or see the ripped-off choreography of Fosse in a mediocre production number from SWEET CHARITY (and , yes, I found poor Ms. Applegate's voice a little rocky, but I find Bruce's explanation of possibly why very credible...and I do give the woman props for getting her ass on the live stage.  She also had the best and funniest entrance of the evening.)

Observation #3:  How about calling the Tony for best theatrical event what it is:  Tony for best stand-up comedy routine on Broadway.

Ob #4:  Enjoyed opening banter of Jackman and Crystal lots of fun.  Thought Billy should have sung:  "Tony!  Tony!" ala his Oscar number.

Ob #5:  Why was the woman in Light in Piazza, holding a hand mic in the opening of her number and then it suddenly disappeared?

Ob #7:  I really didn't get the idea of the island in the middle of the audience that had folks craning their necks to see Hugh's "Won't Dance" medley.  A lot of the songs in it were from movies by the way...not the theatre.  Damned fine songs, just not theatre songs.

Ob #6:  If you're going to honour Steve Sondheim with a number for his 75th.  How about something that he wrote both words and music for?

Ob #8:  I want dear Tim Curry to have a nice long run in SPAMALOT, but the number they did, didn't impress me anymore than the original cast album did.  And it all looks a little too much like all that recycled Monty Python which I used to love until it just got overexposed with endless runnings on PBS and BBC America.  You just want a moratorium after awhile and say, "Fellas, give it a rest."  Maybe it all goes down better as a whole.

Ob #8:  Bill Irwin and Edward Albee gave the most gracious, eloquent speeches of the night.

Ob #9:  Let people finish their speeches, CBS.  Gee, so you go over a minute or two, big deal.  People actually watching the Tonys aren't impatiently waiting for the local Sunday night late news.  They want to see the Tonys.  You want it under three hours...cut a promo or two for the Tommy Hilfinger reality show. Who needs that?

Ob #10:  Again, just too many commercials to make the three hours justifible and sustainable.  No wonder the networks keep losing viewership every year.  First they put a lot of crap on the air and then interrupt the crap with more crap about selling crap.  And, in those odd moments, when they actually do have something good on, they still interrupt it with crap-selling crap.  God bless Turner Classic Movies.  No commercials....yet!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 12:50:53 AM »

The Cast Albums I pull out frequently are:

SHE LOVES ME
LI'L ABNER
KISMET
MAN OF LA MANCHA
SWEENEY TODD
KEAN
110 IN THE SHADE
MOST HAPPY FELLA
BOYS FROM SYRACUSE
BRIGADOON
GIRL CRAZY
HAZEL FLAGG

Danise

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 03:48:13 AM »

Morning all!

Sorry I wasn't here for the Tonys but I don't really care for award shows.   I watched about the first five minutes and that was enough for me. I didn't want to ruin your enjoyment.  

It's Monday.  Sigh.

DR SWW, good luck on your first day at work.  Did anyone ever tell you that work is a four letter word?  Ugh.  IF I could only win that lotto--not so much for the money, itself, but for the freedom it would buy.......

Gotta run for the bus!

I haven't said it in awhile but I do hope that DR's Elmore, Tomovoz and TCB are doing much better.

Laters!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 04:56:32 AM »

HEMOGLOBIN easily unites with Oxygen.

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 04:58:28 AM »

Good night Hisaka.  Good morning America.
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 04:59:17 AM »

Tom, three of your choices are also my choices and one I couldn't listen to without your gracious help

Gypsy (Angela Lansbury)
Sweeney Todd
Cowardy Custard (courtesy of Mr. Australia himself)
She Loves Me
110 in the Shade
Ain't Misbehavin'
Pacific Overtures
Follies

These are just the choices I could think of while sitting here at my desk after a night of too little sleep. I now must get back to work. I will return (a Douglas MacArthur reference).

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2005, 05:04:18 AM »

The only Broadway show I’ve ever seen in my life is “Dreamgirls”, in 1983, and I enjoyed it very much. And the party at HHW last night (say, 924 posts!) was very fun, too, though I almost don’t know the names of actors/actresses dear readers mentioned…oh, I know Jackman and Crystal.  ;) The Tony Award will be telecasted in a few days in Japan as usual.  Look forward to enjoying it reading posts from yesterday.  That a good idea, no? : :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 05:04:26 AM »

The Cast Albums I pull out frequently are:

SHE LOVES ME
LI'L ABNER
KISMET
MAN OF LA MANCHA
SWEENEY TODD
KEAN
110 IN THE SHADE
MOST HAPPY FELLA
BOYS FROM SYRACUSE
BRIGADOON
GIRL CRAZY
HAZEL FLAGG

DRPogue, we'd have almost the same list, and that leads to interesting questions like which BOYS FROM SYRACUSE (Lehman Engel studio cast, 1964 revival, London revival, or Encores!) or BRIGADOON (1946 cast, Lehman Engel studio cast, London revival from the 1980s, or John McGlinn-EMI) or KISMET (1952 Alfred Drake or 1966 Alfred Drake)?

To your list, I'd add:
CANDIDE (Barbara Cook, OBC)
KISS ME, KATE
FINIAN'S RAINBOW (1960s revival over OBC)
THE SOUND OF MUSIC (Mary Martin)
CARNIVAL
GOLDILOCKS
MY FAIR LADY (no one has sung Freddy's song better than John Michael King on the OBC)
BABES IN ARMS (Encores!)
OKLAHOMA! (1980 Palace Theatre with Christine Andreas)
I'm very fond of RENT, but I haven't played it in a while
I prefer the original London cast of LES MIS to the Broadway cast
PAL JOEY
FOLLIES (no one ever surpassed Dorothy Collins, but I like a lot of the complete Papermill production)
COMPANY

Off to Tams-Witmark!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 05:06:06 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 05:06:04 AM »

Good evening DR TOMOVOZ!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2005, 05:07:16 AM »

Good morning DR ELMORE and BEN !

Michael

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 05:35:58 AM »

Thanks for the observations Pogue. Glad I didn't watch. Probably would have been just as frustrated.
Never stop dreaming.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 06:01:22 AM »

The Tony Awards is the only program on network television I watch "live" instead of pre-taping it and zapping the commercials and last night was the perfect reason to do so.  The quantity and quality of these ads almost made me turn off the awards after the first hour.  At about 10:38 there were only three awards left and yet there were so many commericals that they had to rush final awards so the news could start on time.  This truly ruined the awards for me and next year I plan on watching them delayed like everything else.  What a pity that commercial television has sunk so low.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2005, 06:15:18 AM »

RE:  Last Night's Tony's...

Not the best presentation, but then, it's been years since we had anything near the best.  I'm with BK in that I hate that the show is in Radio City--it's just too caveronous a venue to present anything having to do with theatre--they even have to construct that false proscenium to give the stage some kind of framing.  Aside from allowing each show to truck in some of its scenery, there is no reason to hold the Tony's in Radio City other than to rake in some cash For the ATW by selling all those seats to "fans" at ridiculous prices.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2005, 06:22:10 AM »

TOD:

Pippin
A Little Night Music
The Pajama Game
A Chorus Line
The Producers
Hairspray
Into The Woods
Chicago
On The Town

There are probably a few that I'm not thinking of right now.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2005, 06:38:19 AM »

TOD:
Camelot
Lil Abner
Where's Charley
Salad Days
How to Succeed (OCR)
Greenwillow

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2005, 06:39:19 AM »

And the word of the day is: HEMOGLOBIN!
What kind of bloody word is that?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2005, 06:39:22 AM »

Oh, yeah, and West Side Story.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2005, 06:42:47 AM »

I've got oodles of catching up to do (oodles being the plural of ood, of course; I'd have thought it was the plural of oodle, but it's one of those exceptions to the rule, kind of like mouse/mice but not blouse/blice).  But first I've got to get ready for work.  Nice notes, though, BK.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2005, 06:46:06 AM »

FLOWER DRUM SONG
WILDCATS

I don't have a lot of cast recordings  ::)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2005, 06:47:09 AM »

Almost forgot:

Believe it or not, today is National Cow Day!

I'm not sure whethere we're all supposed to have one, or just celebrate them.  My calendar doesn't specify.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up