News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: KEMPT  (Read 20445 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:KEMPT
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2005, 09:57:14 AM »

I believe the first records "I" bought was some K-Tel collection.  "Mellow Gold", I believe.

That also happened to coincide with how I found out what the term "C.O.D." meant.  -Well, at least how my parents found out.

:-\

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2005, 09:59:00 AM »

We had a bunch of kids LPs - Sesame Street, Alvin & The Chipmunks, Golden Books/Records.

I think the one that got the most turntable time was "The Little Drummer Boy".
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2005, 10:03:27 AM »

Of course, being the curious child that I was, the big "game" was always figuring out exactly how many LPs I could stack onto the changer at once.

:)

I think my record was 4, with the fifth on the turntable.  As much as I enjoyed watching those 4 records balance precariously on that spindle, I didn't take into account that the "tonearm" (how's that for a blast from the past!?) wouldn't necessarily lift itself high enough to clear the top of the fifth platter once it dropped down.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2005, 10:03:37 AM »

OH!!

Of course, I had the two LP set for "Saturday Night Fever"...  And my cousin, Althea, and I would set up a disco in my parents' basement.  We would line the walls with strips of aluminum foil, place strings of Christmas lights on them - some blinking, some not.  We choreographed some pretty elaborate routines too!  Very dramatic at times.

*Of course, since we were both just 10 or 11 at the time, we had not actually seen the movie of "Saturday Night Fever".  -But we did hear about it from some of our "lucky" friends who got to see it.  And, come to think of it, I don't I've actually seen it all the way through to this day.  Hmm...

The soundtrack to "Grease".

And about eight Billy Joel LPs - courtesy of the Columbia Record & Tape Club.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2005, 10:04:59 AM »

I think my record was 4, with the fifth on the turntable.  As much as I enjoyed watching those 4 records balance precariously on that spindle, I didn't take into account that the "tonearm" (how's that for a blast from the past!?) wouldn't necessarily lift itself high enough to clear the top of the fifth platter once it dropped down.

And then there were the times when two records would drop at the same time... DAMN!

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2005, 10:07:33 AM »

We had a bunch of kids LPs - Sesame Street, Alvin & The Chipmunks, Golden Books/Records.

I think the one that got the most turntable time was "The Little Drummer Boy".
How could I forget Alvin & the Chipmunks!!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2005, 10:07:36 AM »

First 45s...

Chic - "Le Freak", "Good Times"
Peaches & Herb - "Reunited"
Blondie - "Heart of Glass"

All purchased at Caldor's in New London, CT.  *Which also always seemed to have origami books in stock.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2005, 10:14:10 AM »

OOOHH...

And the trip down memory lane continues...

On a related note...

I was also a big cassette buyer...

My most memorable purchases:

The soundtrack to "Close Encounters" - I did like John Williams' score, but I mainly listened to the disco version of the theme.

And Barry Manilow's "This One's For You" - What a great collection of songs.  I would play "Jump Shout Boogie" over and over again.  -No wonder I still love "Weekend In New England".
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2005, 10:15:32 AM »

First 45s...

Chic - "Le Freak", "Good Times"
Blondie - "Heart of Glass"

Oh dear I am beginning to feel my age... I was already in my first "on my own" apartment when these came out

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2005, 10:24:26 AM »

Did anyone else have a Peaches record store in their area?  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2005, 10:25:42 AM »

Oh dear I am beginning to feel my age... I was already in my first "on my own" apartment when these came out

Well, at least I didn't say 8-Tracks!

:P

:D

;)

:-*
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2005, 10:31:51 AM »

Did anyone else have a Peaches record store in their area?  

Yes!

I remember seeing the commercials for them all the time when we lived in Seattle.  However, I don't I ever went to one while we lived there.

When I started school in Richmond, there was still a Peaches out on West Broad.  Of course, by this time, they no longer carried records/LPs - it was all CDs and a few cassettes.  It closed up shop a couple of years ago, and I believe it was one of the last stores in the franchise.  -There were two locations in Richmond, actually.  Both very identifiable by the box-like building with the dark wood trim - like a peaches crate - and those big paintings of various artists on the side of the building.  The Midlothian location eventually became another music store, but the West Broad location is still sitting there...  And those awful renderings of Cher, Garth Brooks and Madonna still look down at the passing traffic.

*Oh, and it's not "related", but the store on Midlothian is now called "BK Music".  -I'm not sure who this BK is, but it's a homegrown operation, and they have a very loyal following - and some homey, well-done TV spots.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2005, 10:46:01 AM »

BK,I also get driven crazy when actors add all those hems and haws and wells and you knows into speeches.  I craft dialogue meticulously, I read it aloud and change it until it rolls off the tongue like I want it to...I don't actors "improving" the dialogue with what they think our realistic hitches in speech.  I think it's part of that Lee Strasberg perversion of The Method that as Stella Adler said when he died, "It will take the theatre another hundred years to get rid of...all those mannerisms and verbal adornments that naive actors...or not very good actors...think are naturalistic.

"Acting is not about being real, but about being credible."  Sir Peter Hall

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2005, 11:20:17 AM »

I was given Chic's "Le Freak" 45 by one of my sisters who really just wanted it herself.

Defunct Record Chains that I once knew:
Record Bar
Turtle's
Record Land
Camelot (does that still exist?)
Sam Goody (in death throes here)
Coconuts (same thing)
HMV

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2005, 11:22:05 AM »

I think the actors get used to doing it in TV - certainly it's not part of most theater training.  It's lazy and silly and never helps.  I think the playwright who wrote that thing about Harpo Marx that I read a year ago, was astonished that I didn't do that, since all the other actors who were reading, did do it.  

It never helps, and it often dissipates the language that the writer has crafted.  I was surprised Tammy was doing it and I asked her why, and she said it just happens until she actually learns the lines.  But, I also know she's taken acting classes where actors do it, and you just get in the habit - I told her to break the habit now, because I wasn't interested in hearing any extra "wells" "I means" "uhs" or "you knows".  I've written the ones I want to hear.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2005, 11:23:05 AM »

Vinnie has dropped by the mastered ATB CD, which I have to listen to soon.  I like to proof in the car, so I'll have to go out shortly and drive around.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2005, 11:24:32 AM »

I'm very excited - there is a new four CD Michel Legrand compilation from Universal France which has just come out - all his film music themes, and it includes some incredibly rare stuff.  I'd ordered it from amazon France, but they also have it here in the US, so I changed and ordered it from here, and I'll have it Thursday or Friday.

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2005, 11:28:20 AM »

Blue, orange, and yellow rayon short sleeved button down shirt.

Tan, flat front khakis.

brown Skechers with tan socks.

...and I have a craving for fried chicken.

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2005, 11:29:10 AM »

I'm curious, did anybody else see the promo for the RENT movie last night on Access Hollywood?  It happened so fast that it's hard to know what to think.  I know I love the show and cannot wait to see the movie.  Hopefully it will be good.  I really like the poster (or what i assume will be their poster).  It has all the lead players standing in black and white in a line.

I thought the movie was supposed to open at Christmas.  But apparently it said November 11th.

One thing that caught my eye was Adam Pascal had longish hair.  Very different from how I remember him in the stage version.

vixmom

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2005, 11:33:44 AM »

Blue, orange, and yellow rayon short sleeved button down shirt.

Tan, flat front khakis.

brown Skechers with tan socks.

...and I have a craving for fried chicken.

Sapphire blue knit blouse,
black, knee length,  A-line skirt with sapphire blue and brown flowers patterned on it,

stockings, black high heeled slingbacks

and I just finished a cup of Baskin & Robbins ice cream, two scoops... Jamoca Almond Fudge and Caramel Praline

before that I had my Swanson TV dinner, fried white meat chicken, corn, masjhed potaoes and chocolate brownie

no dinner or dessert for me tonight!!

If I keep eating like this not only won't I fit into my bathing suit, I may not even fit into the pool

vixmom

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2005, 11:36:59 AM »

I thought the movie was supposed to open at Christmas.  But apparently it said November 11th.

These days November 11th is Christmas  :D, in fact these days as for as the retailers are concerned Ocotber 11th is Christmas!!  ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2005, 11:37:20 AM »

I love fried chicken.  I must have some soon, but not while I'm on my current diet.  Yesterday's diet consisted of one egg, two pancakes, two strips of bacon, and later, one California Roll (four pieces) and some low-fat Wheat Thins.  Not bad.  

Not sure what diet I'll be on today, but it will NOT include eggs or any type of breakfast.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2005, 11:47:20 AM »

Tan, flat front khakis.

Oh, to be able to wear flat front pants.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2005, 11:49:40 AM »

I'm curious, did anybody else see the promo for the RENT movie last night on Access Hollywood?  It happened so fast that it's hard to know what to think.  I know I love the show and cannot wait to see the movie.  Hopefully it will be good.  I really like the poster (or what i assume will be their poster).  It has all the lead players standing in black and white in a line.

One thing that caught my eye was Adam Pascal had longish hair.  Very different from how I remember him in the stage version.

I did see part of it while making dinner last night.  About this subject I will say this:

Though I ABHORED this show, the trailer actually intrigued me, and made the property seem more palatable than I remember it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2005, 12:04:58 PM »

DR RODZINSKI - I found a copy of my first KSF album at the Goodwill store, bought it, and that title sounds right.  I will check sooner or later.  It's a fun album.

We didn't have PEACHES stores in Indy.  We did and still have KARMA and MUSIC GO ROUND (gone), SAM GOODY'S, and a couple I don't remember the names of.  I still remember walking into the store and ALL of the racks of LP's were in the back and the new CD was being featured in the front.  That's when I decided I needed to get with the times....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2005, 12:05:29 PM »

How did I miss the source of the acting discussion?  Did it start in the notes?  What am I not reading?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2005, 12:06:23 PM »

My parents PHONO was one I discussed here before....tv-radio-phono combo.

Still not sure why we had the WSS album in mono...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2005, 12:07:51 PM »

Dockers blue/black/olive green vertical striped shorts.  White short sleeved polo shirt, white socks.  No shoes!  Indiana, you know.

Jed

« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2005, 12:11:02 PM »

I think I'm gonna settle in for the next 5 hours and watch Das Boot.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2005, 12:16:26 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, since I started catching on the posts when I got out of the shower, I decided to wait a few, so..

White socks
Jeans
Belt
Blue Old Navy "Ringer" Tee - ah, the joys of disposable clothing.  ;)

And when I head out later, White and Blue New Balance Cross Trainers.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up