News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: KEMPT  (Read 20460 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
KEMPT
« on: June 08, 2005, 12:06:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've found the notes both unkempt and kempt, and now it is time to post until the kempt kows kome home.  
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 12:00:00 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:KEMPT
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 12:08:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: FLANGE!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 12:20:38 AM »

As an actor, I like scenes with two actors and speeches both.  As a director you can tell how well an actor works with another actor in a dialogue scene.  With a speech, you can see how an actor holds the stage when he's out there on his own.  Of course, sometimes auditioning with another actor can hurt you, if the other actor is incompetent.  Then you have to quickly decide whether you can work with them or you have to work around them.  Sometimes working with a bad actor makes you look all the better.  I hate actor's who feel they have to do all the action in the script like grabbing you or miming a kiss.  Just hold your script and read the words and make eye contact occasionally...this is an audition, not opening night..

Records of my parents that influenced me...I raided my father's  78's at an early age.  He also had a record of Louis Jordan that I loved.  I think the first stage album was probably MY FAIR LADY.  They also had these BIG BAND record sets from Readers' Digest that were just great and I used to play a lot when I was alone in the house.  A child's record we had called Gossamer Wump narrated by Frank Morgan was a treat.  And Stan Freberg Discovers America...or whatever it was called was seminal...Another comedy album I remember was The First Family by Vaughn Meader.  I also remember being fond of Dvorack's (is that spelt right?) New World Symphony and Gershwin's Rhasody In Blue.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 12:25:51 AM »

We had the usual South Pacific (which I was enamored of) and My Fair Lady (less so), and my father liked those Ed Sullivan knock-off records of shows, which he bought and which I liked, too.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 12:26:49 AM »

My parents had neither record player nor records.
First LPs purchased (jointly with my sister) were:
The Buddy Holly Story
Carousel - Soundtrack
Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs - Marty Robbins
Johnny's Greatest Hits - Johnny Mathis
Conniff Meet Butterfield.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 12:31:05 AM »

We also had several Danny Kaye LPs, which I played endlessly.  We, too, had 78s, although I don't really remember too much about them.  I do think that's how we had South Pacific.  Once 45s came in, I used to get tons of free ones - all the cast-offs from the jukeboxes in my father's bars and restaurants.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 12:33:26 AM »

The speeches in this play are not monologues - they happen with another character on stage listening - but a couple of them are more than two pages long.  I think that would be good to read for an actor.  And I agree, simpler/better, in terms of trying to give an opening night performance in a reading.  Another thing that drives me crazy is when actor's stick in a bunch of "you knows" and "wells" and "I means".  If I want them in I write them, and I don't need any extra help.  Even Tammy was doing it and I told her to stop it.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 12:34:05 AM »

FLANGE, baby, FLANGE.  And I'm not kiddin'.

And now - Dino at the piano.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 12:35:25 AM »

Of course, we had the soundtrack to Around the World in Eighty Days - everyone did.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 12:51:20 AM »

My dad used to have an album by Barney Peters (from Canada, I think) but he was Irish.  I don't remember the name of it, but the whole album was Irish songs.  My sister and I used to listen to that all the time.  Another album that we had was "The Wandering Minstrels" by the New Christy Minstrels.  I mentioned it not too long ago and DR Rodzinski mentioned that he also liked and wanted it.  I ordered the CD from deepdiscountcd.com and got an e-mail message on June 3rd that it was shipped.  I still haven't received it yet.  Also, I looked at my account at deepdiscountcd.com and it shows "0" shipped!!  How rude!

Okay, mini-rant here:  A couple of days after I ordered the NCM CD, I ordered three other CDs, the original Broadway cast recordings of Dreamgirls, Shenandoah and Two's Company, the last with Bette Davis.  Dreamgirls was shipped with no problem, but when I received it, I went on-line to check on the status of the other two CDs.  Shenandoah was listed as "backordered" and Two's Company was listed as cancelled!  I never received an e-mail notice that it was cancelled!  Then just today, I did receive an e-mail about Shenandoah saying that "The order was cancelled per your request" (I didn't cancel this!) and that "This item has been discontinued."  I instantly went to amazon.com and ordered Shenandoah from there.  This is not the first time deepdiscountcd.com has done this.  I don't think I'll be ordering from them again any time soon. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 05:03:55 AM »

The cable man brought me a new modem yesterday, and now my computer is zipping along.  The new modem is compact and its four lights all sparkle and flash, which is more than the old one did.  I am very happy this morning.

My mother's family was all musical, and I learned to read from record labels in the late 1940s; my favorite was Khatchaturian's "Sabre Dance," recorded by the Boston Pops.  While my parents liked music, they never listened to it except on tv and radion, mostly in the car.  My brother and I had  portable 78  player and tons of Little Golden Records, mostly of Disney film songs, and then strange items like Rosemary and Betty Clooney doing songs like "Eggbert the Easter Egg."  I also remember a Little Golden Record of SWAN LAKE's "Dance of the Little Swans."  My first LP was the soundtrack to THE KING & I after seeing the movie, and my first stereo recording was the BYE BYE BIRDIE original cast recording, a Christmas gift, along with my first portable stereo player.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 05:41:22 AM »

DR JED was confused yesterday.

When I said I was the host of a cable Academy Award Show I presumed people would understand it was like a Ebert and Roper go to the oscars where they review the nominations that year.
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 05:51:17 AM »

Aside from our Christmas albums, I honestly don't remember being the least bit interested in my parents' record collection.  I know they had albums by Dean Martin, Andy Williams, Ray Charles, Kay Starr--along with a lot of big band recordings.  But such stuff didn't pull my fancy then.

I was sort of interested in my sisters' music, though right now all I remember is the Beatles' LPs and a couple of those teen party records.

My early record collection consisted of the Mary Poppins soundtrack, a knock-off of the Mary Poppins soundtrack (bought by mistake), Snoopy and the Red Baron, and a Charlie Brown and Lucy comedy album voiced by Kaye Ballard and Arthur Siegel.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 06:21:09 AM »

Our parents' LPs?  How young do you think we are.  My mother had 78s which was where I first heard Carmen Miranda.  She also had some Garland, Crosby and many other pop singers and big bands from the 30s.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 06:31:47 AM »

La da DAH dee dah dah - a GYPSY reference.

Well - records...WELL!!  Everytime we visited relatives, if they had records and a record player, that's what I DID!  I played everything.  And it got so I knew everyone's collection and knew what my favorite records were at which cousin's house.

We also had the ED SULLIVAN show LP's, I still have a few of them.  And they were okay.  

I got my OWN record player for my birthday when I was 12.  

At that time I was buying mostly 45's - my first two purchased on my own with my baby-sitting earnings were ROSES ARE RED by Bobby Vinton and VACATION by Connie Francis, both played thousands of times!

Then I went to the dime store to get another record - and guess what? They had some cut out LP's for 88 cents!  I looked and looked at the few in the bin and finally decided that 12 songs for 88 cents was better than two songs for 98 cents.  I bought THE KIRBY STONE FOUR, which looked interesting and had some songs I knew on it.

I loved that album.  TKSF imitated other singers, sang some songs straight, and were generally a fine, fine group.  I had that LP for many years.  Started my collection with it.

Show tunes - my first introduction to show music was an album my aunt gave me called JOHNNY MATHIS ON BROADWAY.  He sang "Small World" and "You Are Beautiful" and "If I Had My Druthers" and I loved them all! Under each title on the label was a "from LI'L ABNER" or "from GYPSY" - and of course I started choreographing my own routines IMMEDIATELY!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005, 06:33:15 AM »

But enough about me.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2005, 06:36:24 AM »

At the age of 3 I was learning how to use our family record player and my favorite music was an LP of NUTCRACKER SUITE and SWAN LAKE. Other first favorites were my parent's album of GRAND CANYON SUITE and my LP of BAMBI.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005, 07:23:25 AM »

Some of my parents' records that were favorites included Fiddler (OBC)and the soundtrack to My Fair Lady.  Also 1776, and The Rothschilds, which I know was in the house before I started purchasing records.

They also had a compilation released by Columbia, called "Broadway's Best"  It was one record as I recall, but might have been two because it was in a gatefold album, with production photos and little blurbs about each of the shows inside.  I remember the cover had little Hirschfeld's of all of the performers in the shows featured on the album.  I specifically recall "The Party's Over" and "I Enjoy Being a Girl" being on the album, and a  number from So. Pacific (I am pretty sure it was "Some Enchanted Evening"), but right now don't recall the others.  Maybe "Rain in Spain"

My father, when he was still living at home, was big on Readers Digest collections, of light classical music.  (His taste has become more discerning since then, as his second wife is much more of a heavy-duty classical music lover.) That is how I recall being introduced to the Boston Pops and Tchaikowsky, and orchestral music in general.  Which I still much prefer to chamber, instrumental recitals, or classical vocals.  In music, as with much of life, bigger is better in my book.  :)

I think I have mentioned it before, but the first album I ever purchased with my own money was the OBC of MAME, bought at the Korvette's in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 07:25:45 AM by Stuart »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2005, 07:28:25 AM »

Okay, it's all coming back to me...as if a veil has been lifted from my eyes...

I had a LOT of 45's as a kid.  Many of them were Disney mini soundtracks, each with about four songs from movies such as Bambi, Pinnochio, Cinderella, etc.  I had things like Fred Flintstone singing "Pebble's Lullabye"  and Popeye and Olive Oly singing songs of the sea.  One of my treasured 45's was a Kelloggs send-a-way which was a mini soundtrack to Hey, There, It's Yogi Bear.

I also remember enjoying one of my friends' 45's, which included Steve Allen's Be-Bop Fairy Tales.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 07:30:50 AM »

My father built his own stereo system when I was about 4 or 5.... he used to play  West Side Story and Alan Sherman - My Son the Folksinger and Camelot all the time

When I was 5 I got my own record player (one of those in a box, with a handle that you can carry around with you)    I have a distinct memory of lying on my bedroon floor listening to Bing Crosby singing "Swinging on a Star" Also the first reciord I bought with mny own money when I was about 6 was a Beatles 45  a "Hard Day;s Night" though I ended up preferring the "B" side  "I Should Have Known Better"

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 07:31:34 AM »

My first record purchase  :D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 07:35:20 AM »

My father was a Sinatra fan so the first LP I can remember seeing around the house was Sinatra's "Come Fly With Me." But, being older, there were lots of 78s but not in albums. Just stacks of them with people like Kay Starr and Vaughn Monroe and the Decastro Sisters and Dean Martin.

The only show album I can remember them having (before I started buying every one I could get my hands on) was the soundtrack to SOUTH PACIFIC with Mitzi Gaynor and Rosanno Brazzi on the cover.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2005, 07:37:09 AM »

DR George, Amazon will be able to get you TWO'S COMPANY. I got mine from them, and if you've never heard it before, I think the quality of the score will really surprise and impress you. I've had the LP for years but hadn't played it in awhile, and I had forgotten how lovely this score really is. Quite underrated, I think.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2005, 07:40:44 AM »

[sigh] NIGHTMARE ALLEY came today (hooray!) but not ADVISE AND CONSENT or BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK (darn!).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2005, 07:41:29 AM »

I loved the record player we had when I was a youngen.  It was a combo TV/radio/record player.  The record player was in a drawer at the bottom that played four different speeds (has anyone ever had a record that played at 16 rpms?)  Sometimes, the best fun was to be had by playing records at the wrong speed.  

"Mmmmmoooooooonnnnnn.....Rrrriiiivvvvverrrrrrr..."
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2005, 07:41:46 AM »

Also the OCRs of LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA and SPELLING BEE came today. I may listen to LIGHT on the way to the theater tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2005, 07:43:41 AM »

I loved the record player we had when I was a youngen.  It was a combo TV/radio/record player.  The record player was in a drawer at the bottom that played four different speeds (has anyone ever had a record that played at 16 rpms?)  Sometimes, the best fun was to be had by playing records at the wrong speed.  

My grandmother had a couple of old records that played at 16rpms. They were thick rather than the thinner records like 78s and 33s.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2005, 07:51:43 AM »

Another favorite 45:

DR Stuart reminded me that on one trip to Korvette's, my sister and I pestered my mom into buying the 45 of "My Grandfather's Clock".  The singer was Larry Hooper (a Lawrence Welk Show regular), who bared an uncanny resemblance to our Uncle Henny.  Uncle Henny would disappear for weeks at a time, and we were convinced that he was actually sneaking off to Hollywood to do his Welk appearances.

On the flip side of this 45 was Welk's "Calcutta".  Both of these songs were hee-larious to play at 78 rpms.
-- Anaïs Nin

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2005, 07:54:06 AM »

A fellow has a website where he is posting a different kids album each week from the golden age of kiddie records.

basichip.com

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2005, 08:04:05 AM »

You know what, I didn't have very many kiddie albums, but I sure do love the covers for them...the artwork is a lot of fun!

My parents evidently figured since I was listening to their LPs there was no reason to spend money on any kiddie ones...although I did have a whole line of the Magic Mirror Disney ones from the early 60s which might have been purchased by my grandparents.

Here is the Bambi one, which is the only one I ever listened to regularly.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up