Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WILD, WILD WEEKEND  (Read 29851 times)

Jennifer

Re:WILD, WILD WEEKEND
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2003, 09:41:50 AM »

Sorry I couldn't make the special chat last night.  I'm still not completely over my "cold" and for some reason I've been waking up VERY early. I was so dead tired by 9pm last night I think I actually fell asleep as soon as my head in the pillow. I never go to bed that early. But it felt so good. Hope you all had fun!

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2003, 09:43:41 AM »

DR Ben I am WAY behind you. But at least we don't have too much more to go.  Did anyone find out if anything actually happens at 500 posts?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2003, 09:47:10 AM »

My college roommate was a HUGE fan of Jane Froman. Spent years trying to find everything out about her he could. Got it touch with her widower, and he even found and sent me a copy of some Jane Froman show episodes circa 1954-55. How he got them, I'll never know.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2003, 09:48:00 AM »

How come nobody wants to name the baby?

Emily? Maya? Anyone?

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2003, 09:50:40 AM »

Does this remind anyone else of an M+M?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2003, 09:51:26 AM »

Had fun at the chat last night.

JR, sorry to hear your "Ebay nemesis" won out.

For those who took part in my insta-poll about Mulholland Dr., I heartily recommend this very excellent article:

http://www.avguide.com/film_music/film/reviews/david_lynch.jsp

Some really good stuff in there.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2003, 09:51:42 AM »

Wow, I got to 200 without even realizing it.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2003, 09:54:51 AM »

How about naming the baby, Kim?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2003, 09:55:08 AM »

Fascinating stuff in last night's chat.  We talked about our new crepe pan and learned that Maya likes her crepes sprinkled with ground bits of human knee caps.  Now, where else could one get this information?

Our favorite crooner appears to be Dinah Washington.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2003, 10:01:54 AM »

Dean Martin -- Yes!  Now I loved to hear Dean Martin sing.

And I'm a fan of Jimmy Durante, too!  He could put over a tune!

And there were Vic Damone and Tony Martin (a real SOB, I've read).  But they sang beautifully.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 10:02:59 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2003, 10:04:44 AM »

Yep, I'd rather hear Jimmy Durante's version of "Young at Heart" than Sinatra's (though that's one of the few tunes Sinatra sang that I like his rendition. I also like "Time After Time" and "I Didn't Know What Time It Was.")
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2003, 10:11:14 AM »

I feel one can't talk enough about a new crepe pan.  So, I pulled myself out of bed and dragged myself to work only to learn that my editor is doing an "emergency" fix on another show and we won't start till eleven or even noon.  Had I but known that I would and could have slept in.  That said, I did get my full eight hours last night, thank goodness.  I feel a little better today, and hopefully that means I'm at the end of this thing.

Only a handful more posts and we pass the 4,000 mark, which we've achieved in a very short amount of time.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2003, 10:15:00 AM »

Babs Streisand has gotten to a point with me where's she just showing off the instrument.  I hate all these singers who think their voice is more important than the song and proceed to go through with all these trills and frills and vocal gyrations.  Just sing the damned song the way it was written.  It doesn't need your help.  Let it live and fall on its own merits.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2003, 10:19:37 AM »

One of my favorite crooners is Frankie Laine (Mr. Nan Grey). Also like Gordon MacCrea, and Roy Hamilton.

Judy Garland, Kitty Kallen, Doris Day, and Kay Starr on the female side.

If Paul Robeson counts then I would add him in there too as he has one of the most beautiful voices of any singer anywhere!

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2003, 10:21:18 AM »

Babs Streisand has gotten to a point with me where's she just showing off the instrument.  I hate all these singers who think their voice is more important than the song and proceed to go through with all these trills and frills and vocal gyrations.  Just sing the damned song the way it was written.  It doesn't need your help.  Let it live and fall on its own merits.

I second that! That is one of my pet peeves with so many current singers.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2003, 10:23:06 AM »

What is the proper way to season a new crepes pan?

Anyone have an inkling?

And while we're at it, I've often needed, and have never found, a good double boiler.

Any recommendations?

Charles Pogue

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2003, 10:23:11 AM »

Regards my above post about vocally gyrating singers who show off their voices, I mentioned this to Nick Clooney when his sister Rosemary died and how I appreciated that she was a pure singer who served the song, rather than her ego.  He told me the following:  "She (Rosemary) and I were listening to a very popular contemporary singer trilling all around the melody, when Rosemary said in irritation "I wish she'd light somewhere."

Ben

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2003, 10:27:43 AM »

Don't have a clue how to season a new crepe pan. Haven't needed a double boiler since, forever! I know they do come in handy when you're melting chocolate and things like that but I've never used one before.

Well, if this day is any indication, it will take me more than a week to pump up my posts to 251 so I can become a senior member.

I think in the next couple of weeks we will find out if anything happens at 500, via the Posting Duo of Pulliam and Jack (sounds like a comedy team, eh?)

I will do my bit, though, to push us over the 4000 total mark. Hoo and Ray.

Ben

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2003, 10:28:51 AM »

210 here I come!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2003, 10:33:15 AM »

DR MBarnum,  I agree about Gordon MacCrae. I have an album of his called Gordon MacCrae:  THE CAPITAL YEARS, where he sings a lot of nice standards like Where or When, Spring is Here, I'll Remember April.  They're somewhat atypical when you think of MacCrae because they seem to be in his higher register. It's a little smoother and less robust.  No one recognizes it as MacCrae when I play it.  I wish he had recorded more stuff in this vein and less operattas and some of the other tatty stuff he did.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2003, 10:35:55 AM »

Oh yes, I had forgotten all about Gordon MacRae.  God, how I loved his voice.  His If I Loved You was the song that actually taught me what the word swoon meant.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2003, 10:38:19 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam, was Tony Martin an SOB?  I always found him somewhat dull as a singer, but when I worked with Cyd Charisse many years ago, Martin was around a lot and seemed nice enough...again, a little dull, but both he and Ms. Charisse were perectly nice to me.

Ben

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2003, 10:56:49 AM »

This just in from Playbill On-Line. Bobbie Boland, the new play starring Farrah Fawcett has closed in previews. Yesterday was the last performance. It started previews November 4 and was scheduled to open November 24.

Not much more info at the site, but I bet the rumor boards are hoppin'

Here's the link.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/82669.html

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2003, 10:57:08 AM »

I'm here at school, finally on HHW! I'm in lunch right now, but I feel awful and I'm afraid of the vile reactions I might have if exposed to food. BLECH, BK, you have passed your stupid sickness on to me!

I miss HHW, although Maya and Laura II have been sending me all of the posts via email. Report cards are distributed on Wednesday, so unless I get some awful comments, I should be back soon. I was FULLY planning on attenting chat last night, and I very well could have...if my internet had not gone down. It's karma...I'm being sneaky, it's punishing me. ERG!

Crooners? I like everything that has been said. I'd be more creative and think of some good ones, but I think my head is about to explode. And the librarians are being vultures and eyeing my every move. If they ask, I'm researching singers that have influenced music dramatically.

And hmmm...not much else to say. Email me, damnit! Hopefully my internet wil be up when I get home, and I expect messages galore. Babble away, my dears.

Oh, and since I have a few minutes:

I found HHW on accident I think. Someone said that it was through Julianas Journal, but I don't think it was. However it happened, I know that I've learned more in the last 4 months than I have in my singing lifetime. Echoing what Jason said earlier, the people here are what keep me coming back everyday. I've made some great friends through this site! It keeps me sane :).

I had better get goin' to History, where I shall fail a test on Chapters 16 and 17. Erg. Au revoir!
...Walk in the sunshine...

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2003, 10:59:46 AM »

I read it in a book.  Perhaps Martin's toned down over the decades.

Ken Darby, vocal supervisor and musical associate for Alfred Newman at 20th Century-Fox (and winner of Academy Awards for his work with Newman on "The King and I," Previn on "Porgy and Bess" and Newman again on "Camelot"), wrote a book called "Hollywood Holyland" about the travails he and Alfred Newman endured at the hands of the megalomanical George Stevens during production of "The Greatest Story Ever Told."  Some of the story involved Newman's nomination for the Oscar for "How the West Was Won" and the trip to the Oscarcast, during which "the Tony Martins" cut Newman's car off in traffic and Martin apparently laughed and flipped them off or something -- at any rate, Darby had a comment or two about Martin that pointed to SOB-ness.  This would have been the spring of 1964.  Perhaps Martin has gotten over himself after all this time.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 11:00:19 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2003, 11:03:00 AM »

DR Ron - when you get your double boiler, have it shipped by Wells Fargo Wagon.

DR MBarnum - I agree heartily with your choices of Kay Starr and Doris Day and Gordon MacRae (or however it is spelled)!

DR Jennifer - my baby name suggestion is Treble Clef.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 11:03:17 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2003, 11:04:22 AM »

Does anyone else have a sense that SwishySarah's time at lunch might have been better spent STUDYING for that history test?

I hate to see bad things happen, but flunking history is not going to be overlooked just because one passes algebra!

Of course, it was only a few minutes.  And she's sick.

Let's hope it's phlegm/mucous sick and not "going to the bushes" sick, as in Ann's case.

Still feeling like "leftovers", Ann?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2003, 11:04:46 AM »

Just looked it up - it is Gordon MacRae

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2003, 11:05:51 AM »

Jack:  I sure hope that Wells Fargo Wagon doesn't dare to stop unless it stops for m -- be it with a double boiler or a new mackinaw!

Thanks for the Willson reference!  I think I'll watch "The Music Man" tonight!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 11:07:07 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2003, 11:06:03 AM »

No it isn't it's Gordon MacRea
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up