Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DEAR READER'S DIGEST  (Read 22199 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE DEAR READER'S DIGEST
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2005, 07:36:41 PM »

I'll have to save ADVISE AND CONSENT for tomorrow, and I'd like to see LOST IN THE STARS tomorrow, too. Those two films may be all I have time for tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2005, 07:36:43 PM »

...In Portland, Oregon.

And I have a bit of a headache.  That's never good. :P
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 07:37:46 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2005, 07:39:03 PM »

Ugh! Mopping the kitchen is one of my least favorite things in the world to do. (Mowing the lawn is another.) I let it go during the last week of LA CAGE, so I mopped it on Monday morning, and it needed it again today. Hopefully I won't have to do it again until its usual rotation in my cleaning regimen - Friday.

George

« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2005, 07:42:20 PM »

Be back later!

But before I go, here's the Page Five Dance!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 07:42:35 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2005, 07:56:25 PM »

And Noah is a cutie, too! Thanks for the pic!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2005, 07:57:53 PM »

DRLaura I’m so glad you weren’t hurt.  That happened to me and it was a bit frightening.  I was only going about 45 on a dark road at night.  The kids were young and there was no way I was risking pulling over and getting hit.  I also knew where the next gas station was.  We pulled in trailing smoke.  The boys thought it was really cool. ;D

BTW, nice photos.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2005, 08:10:34 PM »

Rodzinski I don’t plan to see Mr & Mrs Smith.  The idea they are having fun trying to kill each other doesn’t appeal to me.  You just convinced me my decision is correct.

François de Paris, sad but interesting story on Robie Lester.  Thank you for sharing.

Once again we lost our internet connection this afternoon and now I’m having problems staying connected to the discussion.

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2005, 08:13:20 PM »

I've had trouble staying connected to discussions for years.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2005, 09:15:41 PM »

Grandneice Taylor's dance recital was quite a thrill for uncle Mike!

I left the house early so that I would have plenty of time to get to Sherwood, Oregon's Sherwood High School where the recital was to take place in that schools auditorium. No problem getting up I-5, but then I got onto the Tualitan-Sherwood highway ( a two lane hwy) and it was slow going...pretty soon the traffic slowed to a crawl, then just plain stopped. I was stuck in a traffic jam for 45 friggin minutes!!! 45 whole minutes! I was so angry, grumpy, whatever you want to call it...I was NOT going to miss little Taylor's first dance recital!! Not on your life! After about 25 minutes of crawling (from I-5 to Sherwood it normally takes only 10 minutes) I finally could see that the hold up was that the police had cordened off a section of the highway and was diverting traffic through a little country road (as that was the only road available for traffic to detour to). Another 20 minutes went by and finally I got to highway 99! I was about 10 minutes late for the recital, but fortunately Taylor's little group was last to perform.

Here is a lovely shot of the traffic jam.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2005, 09:28:36 PM »

Oy and vey is it a slow news day here at haineshisway.com.  And, of course, all the errant and truant will show up come Monday saying the usual, "I wasn't around all weekend, I was doing this and doing that," and we shall laugh and laugh and just when the errant and truant think we can laugh no more, we shall laugh again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2005, 09:28:55 PM »

Smoke on your pipe and put THAT in.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2005, 09:30:21 PM »

I may or may not post the notes a bit earlier than usual - I don't really have to get up until eight, so I don't need to go to bed before midnight - we'll see how I'm feeling.  Everything is laid out for packing, but I'll probably put the pants and shirts in the bag in the morning, so they don't sit there all night getting wrinkled.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2005, 09:30:34 PM »

I've had trouble staying connected to discussions for years.

ROTFLMAO!

And there are so "few" discussions worth being connected to, as well....

I am a magnet for people who never fail to use 25 words when five will do.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2005, 09:34:04 PM »

I just recently watched "The Purple Rose of Cairo," a movie that grows more poignant and wonderful with each viewing.

Now I'm in a mood for "Hannah and Her Sisters," but "Another Woman", which I've never seen and don't have on DVD or VHS, is going to air on my local PBS station in one hour.  

I picked up the 2-DVD issues of "East of Eden" and "Rebel Without A Cause" today.  I'm torn between which one to watch first.  That's why I decided to view "Purple Rose..."   Now I'm committed to more TV viewing.

Sigh.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2005, 09:35:48 PM »

And though I sat and sweated, well I do have air conditioning now so I did not sweat too much, through the traffic jam it was all worth it to see my little pumpkin!

Taylor is on the right...her best buddy Abby is on the left.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 09:36:39 PM by MBarnum »

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2005, 09:47:27 PM »

I just recently watched "The Purple Rose of Cairo," a movie that grows more poignant and wonderful with each viewing.

Now I'm in a mood for "Hannah and Her Sisters," but "Another Woman", which I've never seen and don't have on DVD or VHS, is going to air on my local PBS station in one hour.  

I picked up the 2-DVD issues of "East of Eden" and "Rebel Without A Cause" today.  I'm torn between which one to watch first.  That's why I decided to view "Purple Rose..."   Now I'm committed to more TV viewing.

Sigh.
"East Of Eden": Colin's favourite movie of all time.
The right age!  Father/son issues of course. Noticed it was out on DVD at last. I much prefer it to Rebel and Giant.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 09:47:58 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2005, 09:49:55 PM »

BK, you still never said what your favourite movie year was and why?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2005, 09:56:28 PM »

Lovely recital photo DRMBARNUM.

Patience is a virtue. It is also it's own reward. But as one vulture said to the other: "Patience my ass, I'm gonna kill something."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2005, 09:57:04 PM »

More lovely DR LAURA photos.  I, too, especially enjoyed the Cardinal photo...the Cardinal of course being the State Birdie of Indiana!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2005, 10:10:42 PM »

I'm leaving my house to house-sit at the house with no computer. :P I'll stop at a store to get fudge ingredients and make it first thing in the morning.  (The fudge is for the Portland Get-Together!)

Is anyone who is coming to the Portland Get-Together alergic to cashews?  I bought some cashews at Trader Joe's yesterday (because I love cashews) and want to make some cashew fudge.  But I'll also make plain fudge in case anyone wants plain fudge...or is alergic to cashews...or you just want two different kinds of fudge.  Did I mention that I LOVE fudge...and cashews?? ;D

George

« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2005, 10:11:13 PM »

And I want to share!

George

« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2005, 10:11:50 PM »

Good night all!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2005, 10:18:19 PM »

Watched the film of NOISES OFF. Fun, but I imagine the play must be a lot sharper.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2005, 10:18:43 PM »

'Night George!

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2005, 10:22:40 PM »

Watched the film of NOISES OFF. Fun, but I imagine the play must be a lot sharper.
Enjoyed the film myself Rodzinski - have never seen the play.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2005, 10:24:34 PM »

Partner Colin has been transferring Video to DVd today - latest was "The Rainmaker" - the made for TV version with Tuesday Weld. I would so much like to see a production of "110 In The Shade".  I'd even settle for 98 in the shade.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 10:43:24 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2005, 10:31:16 PM »

Package of CDs on the way to you as of today, Tomovoz. Of the 114 tunes, I hope there's one or two you don't already have!

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2005, 10:44:47 PM »

Thank you in anticipation DR Rodzinski.  If I indeed have the tracks, I won't have them in the same order!!
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2005, 10:59:23 PM »

Rodzinski, the film cannot compare to play. It is one of those intrinsically theatrical things where most of the amazement comes from it actually being performed live before...particularly the second act that happens all backstage.  Also door-slamming farce just works better onstage than in film.  After having seen the play a couple of times with different casts (British & American), the movie just seemed tired and laboured.  And the fiddled with the third act, if I remember correctly (though the third act of the play is the weakest part as well).

Charles Pogue

« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2005, 11:00:35 PM »

What is BK's favourite movie year?  Can you imagine?  He exhorts us all to answer the topic of the day and neglects to himself.  Tsk! Tsk!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up