Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DEAR READER'S DIGEST  (Read 21722 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE DEAR READER'S DIGEST
« on: June 17, 2005, 11:57:55 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you dear readers have digested the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the digested cows come home.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 11:59:23 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE DEAR READER'S DIGEST
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 12:01:12 AM »

And the word of the day is: CAMARILLA!

Smoke on your pipe and put THAT in.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 12:09:53 AM »

FIRST POST!!!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 12:14:11 AM »

Good Morning!

As I was saying...

-I had written up the final post about my evening on non-debauchery, but by the time I hit Post, I was locked out, and, of course, I had not saved or copied my text, so...  Here's my Reader's Digest version of the rest of my evening..

Andy and I Metro'd up to Dupont Circle.  We walked around.  A lot.  We had Chai Milkshakes at Teaism - very good, them make them with Ginger Ice Cream.  We saw a gentleman get arrested for making an illegal left turn, not having everyone in his vehicle buckled up, disobeying a police order, and resisting arrest.  -And possibly some other charges too.  The police did their job, and we - Andy, I and the other bystanders on the sidewalk - thought the driver of the car was just being stupid.  I had some more ice cream - Halvah flavor - vanilla ice cream with tahini and almonds - Yep!  It tasted like Halvah!  We ran into some of the Mamma Mia! boys about to go into one of the bars, but we did not go in ourselves.  It was getting late.  We bought some Krispie  Kremes at the new Krispie Kreme location right at the top of Dupont Circle South Metro entrance.  A dozen for each of us, assorted, for the morning.  We Metro'd back to where the car was.  I drove Andy home.  I drove myself home.  I started posting.  I lost a post.

-And now I'm here.

So...

What was today's topic?

;)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 12:24:44 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 12:16:56 AM »

All in all, it was a very nice evening.  And even though we didn't end up going into/out to a bar, or dancing, it was a very nice night out.  Andy is a good friend.  We're not dating - chemistry is just not there, and that was never the point for either of us anyway - but we're very comfortable around each other which is also a very good thing.  It's been a while since I've had a pal I can just pal around with.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 12:18:19 AM »

TOTD:  1968
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 12:22:09 AM »

As for the greatest year in movies...

Hmmm...

I'm afraid I'll have to defer to some of the resident experts here on HHW to answer that one since even though I do love the movies, I just have not invested that much time into watching them over the years.  The "classics" and the "new classics".

As I've said before, I make my living sitting in a darkened theatre, and, usually, the last thing I want to do during my free time is spend it in another darkened theatre.  ;)

However, I do love a good movie when it comes along.  And I usually end up seeing it a few times in the theatre when that happens.  I just haven't the time lately to do that.  -Which, in a way, has been a good thing.  Just means I'm working.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 12:23:46 AM »

TOTD:  1968

Aww... I'm very flattered.  How nice of you to commemorate the year of my birth!

-Oh, that's not the topic of the day?...  Nevermind.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 12:25:36 AM »

What were your favorite movies of 1968, so we have some CONTEXT, dear boy.

CAMARILLA, baby, CAMARILLA!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 12:27:39 AM »

Well, I'm on for both shows tomorrow/today.... So, I better get my rest.

-Oh, and, yes, Mamma Mia! is currently the highest-grossing musical running right now.  I did hear a figure a few weeks ago - truly amazing!  But basically, the whole Mamma Mia! machine has been running in the black for the past four years.  It's all profit right now.  That's a lot of drachmas!

Cue "Money, Money"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 12:28:11 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 12:28:29 AM »

Oh...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2005, 12:32:18 AM »

Aww... I'm very flattered.  How nice of you to commemorate the year of my birth!

-Oh, that's not the topic of the day?...  Nevermind.

;D
The year of "Funny Girl"  lol
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2005, 12:38:16 AM »

Context: Funny Girl, 2001 A Space Odyssey, The Lion In Winter, Oliver, The Fixer,The Producers, Romeo & Juliet, The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, Thomas Crown Affair, Star, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Such was 1968.
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2005, 01:09:49 AM »

Nope, 1939 was the year for me:  GUNGA DIN (one of the greatest adventure films of all time), BEAU GESTE (another one), Korda's FOUR FEATHERS (that makes three), GONE WITH THE WIND, the great Laughton HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, WIZARD OF OZ, the seminal STAGECOACH, DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, Basil Rathbone's first turns as Sherlock Holmes in HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES & THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (also his two best Holmes films), JUAREZ, WUTHERING HEIGHTS, OF MICE & MEN, THE LIGHT THAT FAILED (I loved this movie...for very strange reasons other than its a wonderful film), the best Frankenstein movie, THE SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON, GOODBYE MR. CHIPS, my favourite Shirley Temple, THE LITTLE PRINCESS, ELIZABETH & ESSEX (neither Davis or Flynn's best, but still...), DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK, TARZAN FINDS A SON, BABES IN ARMS, DODGE CITY, THE GREAT MAN VOTES, LOVE AFFAIR, NINOTCHKA, THE SAINT STRIKES BACK, ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS, The brilliantly funny MIDNIGHT, starring the magnificent Mr. John Barrymore and the divine Mary Astor, the hilarious NEVER SAY DIE with Hope and Raye. ANOTHER THIN MAN, NORTHWEST PASSAGE,  THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK, RAFFLES, THE REAL GLORY.

In fact, I think if I could see only movies from a certain time-frame I would want it to be from about 1937 to 1942.  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2005, 01:12:39 AM »

Okay, BK, what was your favourite year?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2005, 01:38:45 AM »

Andy is a good friend.  We're not dating - chemistry is just not there, and that was never the point for either of us anyway - but we're very comfortable around each other which is also a very good thing.  It's been a while since I've had a pal I can just pal around with.

Are you going to eat your dozen Krispy Kremes now or when you wake up????

Do this several times a week, and they'll be lifelong "pals," too!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2005, 01:42:26 AM »

Context: Funny Girl, 2001 A Space Odyssey, The Lion In Winter, Oliver, The Fixer,The Producers, Romeo & Juliet, The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, Thomas Crown Affair, Star, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Such was 1968.

FINIAN'S RAINBOW
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2005, 01:45:51 AM »

Ah, spit!

All alone at a quarter of 2 a.m.

LIGHTWEIGHTS!

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2005, 03:48:28 AM »

Good morning, dear elmore!  I'm glad you had such a delightful time at Light in the Piazza last night.  I've been reading the novel on which it's based and it doesn't really scream out "Broadway Musical" to me, but that could probably be said of the books on which many hits are based, huh?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2005, 04:29:04 AM »

Good morning, dear elmore!  I'm glad you had such a delightful time at Light in the Piazza last night.  I've been reading the novel on which it's based and it doesn't really scream out "Broadway Musical" to me, but that could probably be said of the books on which many hits are based, huh?

DRGinny, the first book I can think of that says "musical? no way!" is SHOWBOAT by Edna Ferber:  too long, too sprawling, everyone except for Parthy and Magnolia die and/or fade away, and it became one of the great musicals.  Then there's a novel like PRETTYBELLE, almost like a dirty joke (widow of southern bigot sheriff sets herself up to be raped by several minorities), which several folk thought could be turned into a musical.  Were they wrong!  There are some beautiful Jyle Styne songs in it.

I have nothing to report on the TOD:  my major movie going days were between 1954-1979, and I have no Favorite Year.  I guess it's too much sex and drugs.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2005, 04:30:01 AM »

And not enough rock and roll.  Or rock and rye.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2005, 06:50:17 AM »

Beau Gravitte and George Devorsky mentioned last night! Well George will be coming to Delray Beach next year in the Cabaret series I go to. Mrs. Beau Gravitte as just been announced as the special extra added attraction. Looking forward to that!!!
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2005, 07:15:08 AM »

Yesterday, DRMBarnum posted about a film called Test Tube Babies, but he forgot to include even a hint about the title song:

I'm just a Test Tube Baby,
Wishing that I had some feet.
Golly gee, that would be neat,
But they're a no-show...

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2005, 07:46:24 AM »

Yesterday, DRJose wrote:
OH!

And I have an apartment in New York City!

New York City!?!?!?
Where?

In the Bronx?  Staten Island?  Brooklyn?  Queens?  (No, too obvious).

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2005, 08:02:02 AM »

In addition to the movies that Charles Pogue mentioned, Bette Davis made FOUR films in 1939, all of them classics: ELIZABETH AND ESSEX (which he mentioned), DARK VICTORY, THE OLD MAID, and JUAREZ (which he mentioned).

I'd have to say from the stand point of classics, 1939 has every other year beat.

Now, as for my favorite year, it would probably be 1950 which featured two of the greatest entertainments ever made: ALL ABOUT EVE and SUNSET BOULEVARD, wonderful entertaining musicals like SUMMER STOCK, ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, THREE LITTLE WORDS, THE TOAST OF NEW ORLEANS, and Disney's CINDERELLA, grand adventure pics like KING SOLOMON'S MINES, THE GUNFIGHTER, PANIC IN THE STREETS, THE ASPHALT JUNGLE, terrific comedies like HARVEY, BORN YESTERDAY, and FATHER OF THE BRIDE, and one of the best films ever made THE THIRD MAN (released in the US in 1950).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 08:10:51 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2005, 08:03:28 AM »

no one ever reads my news clippings
But I do read them, DR Vixmom!  I'm just a day late in reading them.   :'( :-*

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2005, 08:06:37 AM »

How can you forget what is arguably the greatest film out in 1939 (though it was officially released in late November 1938):  the stunningly conceived, written, directed and acted Paramount classic Ride a Crooked Mile.?  I mean, how many films feature Russian emigre saloon singers serenading Cossack cattle rustlers?  Hmmm?  How many?  ;)

Still room at the Inn for BK's little get-together tomorrow.  Hardly any HHW-ers have RSVPd.  Shame.  And bitch-slapping.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2005, 08:09:00 AM »

1964 was also a wonderful year with MARY POPPINS, MY FAIR LADY, BECKET, DR. STRANGELOVE, THE PINK PANTHER, THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY, ZORBA THE GREEK, THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN, SEVEN DAYS IN MAY, TOPKAPI, GOLDFINGER, THE 7 FACES OF DR. LAO, THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE, FATHER GOOSE, and THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2005, 08:25:28 AM »

Thanks for the deepdiscountdvd codes DRs DtM & MATTH.  I was hoping to use one for The Doris Day Show - but as DRMATTH says - the codes are not good for pre-orders.  So I will have to do some serious thinking.

Nice picture of TCB - now how about one of him in costume? :)

TEST TUBE BABIES - with the tagline, "You Will NEVER Feel the Same" - whew!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2005, 08:27:57 AM »

Blocked the ending of the show last night - and made a couple of major RE-decisions about the set: stairs going up in the opposite direction, no lift up hatch into the kitchen (good for two small bits, but not important to the plot, and I don't have confidence that the builder can integrate it into the set without it destroying our great look).  

The final fights look good - and we are a bit bruised and battered, but not unhappy.  And I just realized this is a season in which there is murder in EACH one of our shows: OLIVER!, I'LL BE BACK BEFORE MIDNIGHT, PIPPIN, and MY THREE ANGELS.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up