Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DEAR READER'S DIGEST  (Read 21468 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE DEAR READER'S DIGEST
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2005, 08:28:58 AM »

I am intrigued by the trivia question....and I will begin working on it momentarily.  HOWEVER, I am watching my wonderful new $5 video of SEVEN SAMURAI - I love this movie.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2005, 08:30:12 AM »

PAGE TWO - but no dance.

Yes DR RLP - I was influenced by Mr Edward Albee...he was a "special interest" all by himself.

Thanks for the PIAZZA precis, DR ELMORE.  I was hoping it was just as grand as it looked in the photos!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2005, 08:30:17 AM »

Good Morning!

I guess I slept a little "funny" last night.  My neck is a bit stiff.  Hopefully, some time in a hot shower will help.

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2005, 08:33:25 AM »

Today is World Juggling Day!

And it is also International Picnic Day!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2005, 08:33:55 AM »

Are you going to eat your dozen Krispy Kremes now or when you wake up????

Do this several times a week, and they'll be lifelong "pals," too!

:D

Well, Saturday morning is usually the morning when one or more of my brothers stops by the house for various and sundried reasons.  -Usually before or after one of their children's activities.  And my father usually makes some sort of donut run on the weekend too.  And as it turned out, they headed either to Virginia Beach or up to Atlantic City this morning with some friends - so they took one of the half boxes with them.  Timing is everything!

:)

Hmm...  Guess I could have a donut for breakfast.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2005, 08:34:18 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmm.....  very difficult to choose a favorite movie year...and DR CP certainly makes a good case for the familiar 1939 - how can you beat all those great flicks?  In ONE year!

And 1950 wasn't too shabby either, as DRMATTH points out.  And 1968, for sure, I graduated from high school in that year.

And although it will never qualify as the GREATEST year - one of my favorites would be 1956:  THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, FORBIDDEN PLANET, THE LONG LONG TRAILER, BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK.  Oh, and TEENAGE REBEL with Miss Ginger Rogers.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2005, 08:38:11 AM »

MY THREE ANGELS . . . . brings back memories. I was a replacement for someone who dropped out of the cast of the show - two and a half weeks before opening.

I can't remember ever being more petrified trying to learn lines. Fear can be a GREAT motivator.

BTW, I played Felix Ducotel.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2005, 08:39:44 AM »

OK...  Must get ready for today's shows...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2005, 08:40:43 AM »

...I have nothing to report on the TOD:  my major movie going days were between 1954-1979, and I have no Favorite Year.  I guess it's too much sex and drugs.
In the movies?  Or... :o

;) ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2005, 08:46:03 AM »

What made MY THREE ANGELS so daunting was that I was doing THE SOUND OF MUSIC at the time I was trying to memorize those MY THREE ANGELS lines. I hadn't auditioned for MY THREE ANGELS. The director called and asked me as a favor to her to fill in. I was so exhausted from THE SOUND OF MUSIC that I really didn't want to do it, but she HAD cast me in TWELVE ANGRY MEN and one just doesn't say no to directors who may cast you again one day in something you really want to do.

Turned out fine. Met some wonderful actors in the cast I had never worked with before whom I now consider friends, so it was a positive experience (once I got those blasted lines learned.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2005, 08:50:16 AM »

I tend to not think of films in regards to the year they were released.  Time, as they say, is an illusion.  (Lunchtime doubly so, as Douglas Adams wrote.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2005, 08:54:21 AM »

Right now, der Brucer is watching some film starring Will Smith and Martin Lawrence.  I've a hunch it's not a family film, just from the language.  The music sounds like a lot of electric guitars, all being played at full amplitude and engaged in a contest to see who can sound most like an out-of-tune bagpipe.

:P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2005, 08:59:52 AM »

Good news on the work front: I keep getting more hours each week!  They like me!

Bad news on the work front: I need a back brace.  I didn't realize I was this much out of shape.  I figure it's a better idea to get the back brace before I hurt myself than after.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2005, 09:05:40 AM »

She of the Evil Eye is here, but I'm not quite ready to leave.

I am pondering my favorite film year (several candidates), but I suspect it will be from the late 50s or early 60s, but then you never know.

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2005, 09:09:11 AM »

Well, it's not every day that a parade steps off right in front of Dayton Metro Library's main entrance, but the Gay Pride parade just did!  Yes, I'm at work on this beautiful Saturday...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2005, 09:13:00 AM »

My favorite film year would have to be 1958. That is the year that ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE arrived in a theater near you.

June Kenney and Allison Hayes were both quite busy on the big screen that year. June appeared in AOPP as well as EARTH VS THE SPIDER and HOT CAR GIRL, while Allison was busy in ATTACK OF THE 50 FT WOMAN, HONG KONG CONFIDENTIAL, and WOLF DOG.

1957 would be a runner up, movie year wise, as so many of my favorite films came out that year also.

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2005, 09:15:14 AM »

Well, I had better get my day going...at 1:00pm my little 3 year old grand-neice Taylor will have her first ballet recital...then I will hie myself to Vancouver to visit with my buddies Terry and Jim.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2005, 09:22:20 AM »

I'm on my way to do things, but I shall return when she of the Evil Eye is gone.

Only one person has made a stab at the trivia question, and that stab was incorrect.  Perhaps I have finally stumped everyone???  Can't know that unless you try to answer, however.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2005, 09:25:06 AM »

My favorite film year would have to be 1958. That is the year that ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE arrived in a theater near you.

June Kenney and Allison Hayes were both quite busy on the big screen that year. June appeared in AOPP as well as EARTH VS THE SPIDER and HOT CAR GIRL, while Allison was busy in ATTACK OF THE 50 FT WOMAN, HONG KONG CONFIDENTIAL, and WOLF DOG.

1957 would be a runner up, movie year wise, as so many of my favorite films came out that year also.

1958 was my SECOND CHOICE.... for obvious reasons! Two obvious reasons: Allison Hayes!  :o

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2005, 09:25:46 AM »

I am mulling the trivia questions...trying to decide which Piazza to travel down first in my journey to the answer.

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2005, 09:50:36 AM »

TOD - Of years not mentioned so far, I liked:

1973 - The Sting, American Graffiti, The Way We Were, and A Touch of Class

1977 - Star Wars, Annie Hall, The Goodbye Girl, Julia, and The Turning Point
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2005, 09:55:59 AM »

DR GINNY has chosen another good year: 1977!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2005, 09:56:33 AM »

Just think of the 1000's of people who are going to hear DRJOSE play the keyboard today!  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2005, 10:00:03 AM »

DRMATTH -  Felix is a marvelous role.  I am torn between Jules and Joseph - although Uncle Henri is a wonderful role as well.

I guess I will just audition and let the director decide....LOL...I guess that's what I should do anyway.  

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2005, 10:00:20 AM »

Just think of the 1000's of people who are going to hear DRJOSE play the keyboard today!  

...and would I love to be one of them!

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2005, 10:11:52 AM »

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, easy to use software for burningd CDs?

RECORDNOW is the software that came already installed onh my computer, but it seems to have fizzled out and won't work anymore. It keeps trying to install itself when I open it and then just comes up with a big old error message and then freezes my computer.  So I think it might be time to invest in some other software for ripping and recording cds.

Any helpful suggestions are quite welcomed.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2005, 10:47:56 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmm.....  very difficult to choose a favorite movie year...and DR CP certainly makes a good case for the familiar 1939 - how can you beat all those great flicks?  In ONE year!

And 1950 wasn't too shabby either, as DRMATTH points out.  And 1968, for sure, I graduated from high school in that year.

And although it will never qualify as the GREATEST year - one of my favorites would be 1956:  THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, FORBIDDEN PLANET, THE LONG LONG TRAILER, BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK.  Oh, and TEENAGE REBEL with Miss Ginger Rogers.

That's a good year, too, and included THE KING AND I, CAROUSEL, THE SWAN, ANASTASIA, FRIENDLY PERSUASION, GIANT and WAR AND PEACE.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2005, 10:49:42 AM »

Yesterday, DRMBarnum posted about a film called Test Tube Babies, but he forgot to include even a hint about the title song:

I'm just a Test Tube Baby,
Wishing that I had some feet.
Golly gee, that would be neat,
But they're a no-show...

Oh-h-h....

;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 10:50:24 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2005, 11:00:49 AM »

I wish I had hours to cull my Theatre Worlds and reference texts of Theatre and TV to solve the riddle of the trivia question, but alas, I don't.  It's too hard!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2005, 11:31:03 AM »

Jose-LOL-that was late for us.  When I’m in NY I will function on your late hours (love the 3 extra hours of play time).

Not that I slept in late today, just stayed in bed longer than usual.  Keith didn’t get much sleep.  I didn’t do my usual workout, just did my stretches and then took a short walk.  Those hill we have still get my heart rate up.

The drywall guy finished this morning so I will pick up the paint later today and Keith will paint on Monday.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up