Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HAPPY PUNDIT  (Read 30295 times)

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE HAPPY PUNDIT
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2003, 07:07:01 AM »

woohoo.. I have been Karmalized and now feel KARMAliscious!

Danise

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2003, 07:12:12 AM »

Well, scum!!  I thought it would work.  Oh well.  It was Bugs , Daffy, Roadrunner and Taz.  All moving.  I can see them fine!

But your right, Ben.  How could I forget Scooby and Underdog!

Thank you Karma fairy!

D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2003, 07:16:37 AM »

I always had a preference for Scrappy-Doo and Scooby-Dumm.  Then there was also Underdog!!!  And of course, Chilly Willy, but we won't start on the Disney cartoon charactors!!

Ben

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2003, 08:05:34 AM »

Craig now looks just like a bag of the Caramel Corn from the store on the corner of 48th and Broadway (I think that's where it is) which sells different flavors of Popcorn. A little expensive for my taste but it's fun to walk by and take a big sniff and smell the chocolate and caramel.

Ben

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2003, 08:06:50 AM »

Now would I make one more post to get me to 230. Such a vanity thing. Naah, I wouldn't do that. Of course not! Well, maybe...(why are stars so important to us)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2003, 08:16:35 AM »

Good morning.  Getting ready to leave, but I'll have more to say when I get to the office, oh, yes, I'll have more to say when I get to the office.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2003, 08:21:38 AM »

Good morning all.
Well, if it was possible, my day from hell got worse.  The sicky icky feeling got worse, along with a killer headache.  The five year old was in a holy terror mood when he got home from preschool, pitched the tantrum to end all tantrums when it was time to go to karate class, spend the car ride throwing everything he could get his hands on at my head.  As I got him there, he flatly refused to get out of the car and into class, just then the phone rang, bearing the news that my fellow choir members demanded that I appear in rehearsal THAT MINUTE, or else, so I frantically tried to figure out ways to get there faster, possibly by using my car CD player and cell phone to build a transporter.  As I was contemplating bringing the kids to rehearsal with me, their mother called and said she was on her way...so I somehow got the older kid into class, pouting all the way, turned around to call my choir people back...and realized I'd locked my keys in the car.  

Yesterday marked the first day I've ever sat down next to my car in a rainy parking lot and cried.  

But I survived...somehow made it to at least part of both jazz and opera rehearsals, was up 'till midnight studying for the Art History test from hell, up again at five to study more...and now I'm off to take the damn thing, for better or for worse.

I'll post TOTD (Topic Of The Day in internet lingo) later

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2003, 08:24:13 AM »

On the Disney side, I always loved Donald Duck. On the Warner Bros. side, I always loved Daffy Duck, so imagine my joy when they both turned up on the same stage in WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT. Sensational!

I also loved Goofy from Disney and Witch Hazel (weird, I know) from Warners.

Apart from them, my favorites were Mr. Peabody and Sherman (I have plushes of them in my den; yep, a 50+ year old men with cartoon plushes. I have Boris, Natasha, and Bullwinkle plushes in my upstairs office, too.) I loved all of the characters in the Dudley Do-Right cartoons. Those wonderful Jay Ward writers and animators knew how to create whole worlds of different people, often voiced by the same people who did the voices in the other cartoons of the ROCKY series. I HIGHLY recommend THE MOOSE THAT ROARED for a very detailed look on the workings of Jay Ward and his cartoon factory.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 08:26:06 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2003, 08:25:00 AM »

Matthew....who in the world is Scooby-Dumm??

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2003, 08:31:26 AM »

Do any of the more "senior" members of HHW remember WINKY DINK AND YOU from mid-50s TV? You put a plastic sheet over your TV screen and drew in things for Winky Dink to use in his adventures. What a marvelous show for kids!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2003, 08:57:37 AM »

Maya:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Good vibes to you.

So many cartoon characters.  Of course DR Matt H I remember Winky Dink - had the set, couldn't draw for nuttin'

Tom Terrific for some reason scared me, I didn't like his cartoons, I think it was because they were always shown at the same time on the Captain Kangaroo program, and that was the time I had to leave for school!

Clutch Cargo   :P  what a cartoon, made the same way as Space Angel!

Rocky and Bullwinkle!  I liked some of the Popeye cartoons and Pepe LePew.

Most of all I liked Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck!  Disney seemed so preoccupied with animal backsides and I never took to Mickey or Donald on screen although I liked the comic books.

I liked the Beatles cartoon show, but WB Merrie Melodies rule, and still rule!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 08:59:33 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2003, 08:58:27 AM »

Like this:

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2003, 09:00:41 AM »

The cartoons that pitted Bugs and Daffy against each other are so hilarious. "Duck! Rabbit! Duck!" is one of my favorites. And, of course, the famous "Duck Amuck" is my favorite cartoon of all-time.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2003, 09:01:34 AM »

Ron P - your video will be on the way tomorrow!  ;D

Here is your Allison Hayes Picture of the Day.  A publicity still from The Steel Jungle from Warner Bros in 1956.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2003, 09:02:50 AM »

Some of the prime time cartoons were fun, too, like THE JETSONS and TOP CAT.

And I remember Heckle and Jeckle on Saturday mornings along with the hilarious Alvin and the Chipmunks.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2003, 09:23:17 AM »

I loved cartoons growing up...who didn't?  Some of my favorites were:

Bugs Bunny
Chilly Willy
Daffy Duck
Donald Duck
The Flintstones
Sylvester and Tweetie
The Jetsons
Underdog

As for modern cartoons (Bruce didn't limit the topic to cartoons when we were growing up), I love:

Futurama (sadly, it's been cancelled)
The Simpsons
South Park

Has anyone seen the new show "Kid Notorious?"  For some reason, I have no desire to watch that at all.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2003, 09:30:11 AM »

Once again I arrived to find my editor doing an "emergency" fix on another show, so he's now busy for an hour or two.  Of course, he has to make up the time he lost yesterday and today or we won't finish what we're doing by Friday, but I am NOT coming in on Saturday, and I've told them so.  This is what they do here, so there's nothing to be done about it, and if we're behind, we're behind and it will cost them money a week or two down the road because it will take us longer to finish.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2003, 09:31:51 AM »

Robert Evans is such an egotistical boor that I couldn't stomach KID NOTORIOUS either. The first show did fine in the ratings, however, but I was mad they moved RENO 911 to Monday for its season finale that week it premiered. Why do that when folks have been used to catching new episodes on a certain day and time?

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2003, 09:50:03 AM »

from playbill.com:

PBS stations around the country will not air the "Great Performances" concert of Wonderful Town as previously announced.

The concert, which featured Audra McDonald, Kim Criswell, Thomas Hampson and Brent Barrett, was originally scheduled for broadcast Dec. 22 at 9 PM. A "Great Performances" spokesperson told Playbill On-Line, "We got the show from EuroArts, [but] they didn't have all the U.S. rights. That show was done last year on New Year's Eve in Berlin — it's with the Berlin Philharmonic. So, we took it on, only to find out that we didn't have all the American rights."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2003, 09:59:49 AM »

How 'bout Beany and Cecil?  A Bob Clam--PETT car-TOOOON!  (Clampett of course had previously done a lot of the classic WB Merrie Melodies, including some with the aforementioned Buzzards, which, by chance, I saw only last night on the Yankee Doodle Dandy DVD).

And The Simpsons.  Do you non-Oregonians know that Portland-born Matt Groening gave all the characters surnames which are streets in and around Portland?  There's your trivia nugget for the day.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2003, 10:01:50 AM »

Also, re:  The Beatles cartoon.  I very well remember when it premiered (1964?  1965?  OK, maybe I don't very well remember), as it was sponsored by Sears and my Dad was then a Sears manager.  He brought me home a whole bunch of Beatles cartoon paraphenalia, including a big cardboard cutout of the cartoonized Fab Four which remained in my bedroom for years.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2003, 10:16:36 AM »

A lull?

JMK

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2003, 10:21:13 AM »

Well, then, I just found out something interesting about The Silly Book by Stoo Hample--someone followed up on my post of 11/2002 here (the old Board which is still cached in Google) in 7/2003 that Candlewick Press is reissuing The Silly Book in 2004!!  Any of you with kids and/or warped senses of humor should get this!

Who posted a while back that there was a Silly Record, too?  I have done exhaustive internet searches and can't find it anywhere?  Could whoever that was either post more info here (i.e., label, catalog number, etc.) or email me at:

jmkauffman@aol.com

I'd love to hear it.  When my Mom died a few years ago, after the service a woman who was several years older than I came up to me and began reciting "I want to see my Mommy a minute, my Mimmy a monnit," etc., from The Silly Book, and said she still remembered riding with me when I was 4 or 5 on a big multi-family excursion and that I just keep reciting that poem from The Silly Book as if it were my mantra.

Ben

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2003, 10:22:44 AM »

Craig, you beat me to it. I just saw the Playbill info about Wonderful Town and I remember last week one of our Canadian DRs couldn't find it on her schedule (don't remember if it was Em or Jen). That's probably why.

Here's the link anyway.

Karma and good thoughts to DR Ann.

And yes, I remember Beany and Cecil (the Sea Sick Sea Serpent). I had (had being the operative word) a Beany Copter as a child. I wish I still had it. You wound up a plastic thingy on the top of the hat, pulled the string which held the hat on your head and kazoom, it flew off the Beany Copter. I loved that hat. OK, I was easily amused back then.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/82691.html

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2003, 10:25:36 AM »

My favorite cartoon characters are the dancing hippopotamuses from the Dance of the Hours sequence in the original Fantasia.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2003, 10:43:05 AM »

Are people not posting today because they don't know what a pundit is? Kids... you can still post. Just look it up at dictionary.com!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2003, 10:46:10 AM »

Bugs & Daffy have to be at the top of the list, though I'm mighty fond of Foghorn Leghorn ("You're built too low to the ground son, everything keeps going over your head."  "I keep pitching 'em, you keep missing 'em."  "That boy's so dumb he thinks the Mexican border pays rent.").  Bullwinkle and gang are great stuff too (I loved the Fractured fairy Tales...anyone remember Fractured Flickers, where Jay Ward and company put words to silent movies?...My fav was Lon Chaney's Hunchback re-envisioned as Dinky Dunston, Boy Cheerleader), dim but fond memories of Crusader Rabbit and Beaney and Cecil.  DUMBO for movies.  I loved the musical cartoons.  I've been desperately trying to track down a cartoon with bunnies, I think, where one sings "I Wear My Green Fedora for Dora".  I kept hoping they'd slap it on one of those Carl Stallings' CDs, but no such luck.  I also love the one with the Owl singing "I Love to Singa" (I actually have a 78 recording of Cab Calloway singing this tune).

And I absolutely love SOUTH PARK...the sharpest, cutting-edge satire currently on TV.  They are always dead-on and get right to the heart of the absurdity of most trends and current events.  Brilliant stuff! The only must-see TV show I have.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2003, 10:47:41 AM »

Oh, cartoons.   ;D  Some of my earliest memories are of watching Scooby Doo and The Flintstones.  I think my favorite characters were the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote, and Tweety Bird and Sylvester.  Also love the Tazmanian Devil.  My favorite shows growing up were Voltron, Star Blazers, ThunderCats, Silverhawks, MASK, etc.  I had soo many of the toys.   ::)  Oh, and my favorite new character is No Face from Spirited Away!

DR Jay, it never fails to amaze me how poor my short term memory is.  I completely forgot I said those things about Love Actually until you wrote about it.  I also thought Km. 0 was a cute movie, and when I was in Madrid last month, passed by it on a city tour and said "Oh, I know that!"  I also love those dancing hippos.   :D

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~Good vibes and to DRs Maya and Ann~~[/move]
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

JMK

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2003, 10:52:44 AM »

Never mind re:  The Silly Record.  I've found the info.

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2003, 10:54:46 AM »

DR Ben wrote:
DR Jennifer, as I predicted, you have caught up with me and soon you shall surpass me. Especially since I will be errant and truant next week for three days.

Hmmm, you are at 231. I have not caught up! :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 10:57:10 AM by Jennifer »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up