Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HAPPY PUNDIT  (Read 30294 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE HAPPY PUNDIT
« on: November 10, 2003, 11:54:18 PM »

If you've read a fistful of notes, then you may now post the good, the bad and the ugly of what's on your mind, as well as address the topic of the day.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 12:03:29 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:THE HAPPY PUNDIT
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 12:15:17 AM »

Tom Terrific and Manfred The Wonder Dog of course!
Daffy would indeed be the real favourite of my years of viewing. I liked Sylvester and Tweetie when I was a youngster (in my thirties!) but Daffy with all his "hang ups" is brilliant.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 12:19:13 AM »

Apologies to those who like to celebrate the first post of the day. It is just that the time zone makes it so easy for me. Maybe first of the USA day should be the post to celebrate. My punishment is that I usually have to read pages and pages of posts when I wake in the morning before my next post. (Not that the posts are punishing - it is the time it takes and the braincells that must be overworked AND it is before breakfast!).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 12:41:41 AM »

No apologies necessary, Tom.  Looking at the ever-lengthening list of daily subjects, you've had a good bite of "last posts" and there's no reason why you shouldn't also have first posts, too.  

I can imagine that there's probably a bit of a lull on the list during some prime posting time in Australia, but perhaps one day we'll see another Aussie, or a New Zealander, perhaps a Malaysian, or who knows?

You guys will chat till the cows wake up ready to face a new day and we'll have four pages of notes to wade through in the early U. S. of A.M.

Favorite cartoon characters:  Droopy, Foghorn Leghorn, Yakky Doodle, Snagglepuss, Chip 'n' Dale, and Dudley DoRight!  Plus a whole slew of others already named or to be named.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 12:46:16 AM »

It's Veterans' Day here in the U.S.

It's a day to commemorate all the men and women who served in the military of the United States in all the conflicts of this nation's young history.

It is not a day for glorification of war or killing.

It is a day for remembering sacrifice of all kinds.  And for humility.  And for heroism.

There is no glory in war.  There is only glory in the way one conducts oneself in defense of his or her ideals, beliefs and dreams.  This sort of glory is not restricted to military men and women.  But this day belongs to them.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 12:48:15 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 01:47:46 AM »

I wondered what the holiday was in the USA. The 11/11 is Rememberance day in Australia. It is not a public holiday but the country does stop for a few minutes silence at the eleventh hour.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 04:20:55 AM »

I wondered what the holiday was in the USA. The 11/11 is Rememberance day in Australia. It is not a public holiday but the country does stop for a few minutes silence at the eleventh hour.

It is also called Remembrence Day in Canada. WW1 ended on the eleventh hour of the ekeventh day of the eleventh month. One of things I always did when I lived in Montreal was doante money and receive a poppy from veterans. But it occurred to me as the years go by who will be there to pick up the tradition? Canada has not really been involved in a conflict since Korea. The poppies are a remberence and refer to the poem In Flanders Field a poem we learned as children in school. I remember we used to stand in silence  at  11am on 11/11.

This is the poem:

Flander's Field

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch, be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McCrae 1872 - 1918
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2003, 04:42:45 AM »

Today's topic.

Captain Kangaroo used to have once a year animated version of Puff the Magic Dragon. I always waited to see that and there was Tom Terrific a cartoon that was crreatd especially for the Captain.

Another cartoon character that I like is The Buzzard. I am not sure which stable of characters he belongs to. But he was shy and had to go out an get dinner and was not always successful. Once of the reason I liked it was that I could imitate the voice.

Just did a google search for a picture and he is part of the Warner Brothers stable.

Another cartoon I liked was:

A cartoon I never liked was the Road Runner/Willie E. Cayotee. After you seen one you've seen them all. I wanted him to get the bird. That would have been a great ending cartoon.

BUT

The character I enjoyed the most was the Bugs

I enjoyed his progression from a "Stinker" to a hero. Another reason was he was a cartoon character that was not afraid of his sexuality. He did not mind dressing in drag or kissing a man.

Although he is only a rabbit, he should be considered a role model for young gay people proving that it is all right to dress in drag or to kiss a man.
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2003, 04:50:40 AM »

It also used to be called Armisitice Day.  My grandfather always called it that, so  I have a tendency to think of it that way.  My two favorite Armisitice days are very different from each other.  

One was while I was in high school (and it was a day off) and either that evening , the evening before (or even both) had something to do with being parked in a VW on a hilll overlooking the city making out with my first boyfriend.

The other one was in Paris.  The Champs D'Elysee was lined with flags; there was a parade, and that night three lasers shot red white and blue stripes into the sky over the Arc De Triomphe.   Very impressive.
I also remember slippping on a banana peel on the Champs D'Elysee.   It was like a scene out of  movie, and I loved actually living a cliche like that.  I have often thought since then that "I SLIPPED ON A BANANA PEEL ON THE CHAMPS D'ELYSEE" sounded like an Ernest and Meltz song.

Bruce? Anyone?  Do you  know if there was one called that or about that?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 04:55:07 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2003, 04:53:31 AM »

I would be remiss if I did not mention one of my all-time favorite cartoon characters since I feel we are somehow related

The amazing DangerMouse

When we did the switch to the new board, there was no DM avatar, but there was one of Penfold, DM's little hamster buddy so I used him for a while till I got my own picture up. It's not just because I toured the country as DangerMouse for two years in the mid-80s, that I loved it. It was also a great cartoon. A British kind of Rocky and Bullwinkle. Very funny and very intelligent. It was a cartoon that parents could enjoy along with their kids.

That being said, I also loved Rocky and Bullwinkle, especially the Fractured Fairy Tale segments and happily, Tom Terriffic and Manfred the Wonder Dog have been mentioned more than once already. TT was on Captain Kangaroo and was always having trouble with Crabby Appleton, the Meanest Man in the World.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2003, 04:55:39 AM »

DR Jennifer, as I predicted, you have caught up with me and soon you shall surpass me. Especially since I will be errant and truant next week for three days. Three days without HHW. How will I make it through Cleveland??? I'll just have to post up a storm before I leave.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2003, 04:58:47 AM »

Yes, Kerry, "I SLIPPED ON A BANANA PEEL ON THE CHAMPS D'ELYSEE" does sound like an Ernest and Meltz song. Perhaps, in between his editing and coughing and other life living, BK could look through the archives and find out if it exists.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2003, 05:00:13 AM »

Not only will I be errant and truant next week, in December I will be errant and truant for 15 whole days. I will lose my place on the Top 10 posters board. But, I'll be in London so I think I'll survive.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2003, 05:00:41 AM »

BTW, thank you Karma Fairy, whoever you may be.

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2003, 05:06:24 AM »

Cartoon character faves:   Whiskers the mouse, Tweety, Yakky Doodle, Roger Ramjet, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, Rocky and Bullwinkle (The Fractured Fairytale and Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman segments were my favorites), Dudley Doright.  I also always liked Casper the ghost (in comic book form and in cartoon form).  My favorite character would be DangerMouse if I had ever had the chance to see him.

Fave cartoons are all the Warner Bros. Vitaphone Musical Melody cartoons with silly plots featuring songs from Warner's musicals.  The ones where the store would be closed and all the books or magazine covers would come to life  or when they'd do caricatures of Hollywood personalities.  A few of my favorite cartoons are "Katnip Kollege," "I Love to Singa" and the one at the Cocoanut Grove with all the stars, and it ends with Helen Morgan singing and everyone weeping until the place is flooded with tears and everyone floats away.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 05:07:30 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2003, 05:07:17 AM »

At long last, arriving from Scotland, came the CD for this latest production of Murder at the Savoy and my royalty check (or "cheque" as they call it).  The number of pounds was twice as much as I'd bargained for: Apparently the show was such a success, they decided to share the profits with me, out of the goodness of their hearts.

The CD is very funny.  The lead character sports an outrageous French accent and they added dialogue to justify it.  One bit of dialogue that caught me off guard is when "Will you marry me?" is asked, the response, "I'd love to" is delivered in the world's highest squeaky voice.  Gotta love those Scots.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ben

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2003, 05:43:38 AM »

For those baby boomers on this board who remember Tom Terriffic and Manfred, here's a link to the opening sequence. You need Real Player on your system to watch it. It's fairly fuzzy picture quality but the sound is clear. Lionel Wilson sings the entire opening sequence. Once you're at the site scroll down to Tom Terriffic and click where it says See the Tom Terrific opening in RealVideo!
Enjoy!

http://www.toontracker.com/terry/terry3.htm
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 05:44:35 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2003, 05:51:26 AM »

Here's another link to a portion of a Tom Terrific episode. When you get there, scroll down and click on Tom Terrific and it should play in Real Player. The words Tom Terrific will be underlined and you will see the Web address if you put your cursor over the words.

http://www.tvparty.com/lostterrytoons.html
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 05:52:32 AM by Ben »

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2003, 06:02:30 AM »

Well Well Well (and WEL for that matter).  I am quiet excited because yesterday I found out that a dear friend who I haven't seen face to face with is coming into the city next week and staying with me. Oh the fun we are going to have catching up, telling stories and eating wonderful food - mostly desserts. It will just be too too or perhaps very very!  I might even get this dear friend to post the night they are here just for some giggles. Perhaps an update of how our foodfest is going. Maybe even post a picture or two.

Yes... it shall NOT be a blue monday this coming week!

Emily

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2003, 06:10:51 AM »

But it occurred to me as the years go by who will be there to pick up the tradition? Canada has not really been involved in a conflict since Korea. The poppies are a remberence and refer to the poem In Flanders Field a poem we learned as children in school

Michael - I remember reading that this is the first year that the actual poppy-sellers-on-the-street-corners are not actual veterans, but rather volunteers or current members of the armed forces.  They have also really developed their school programs, and I know that McGill has its students selling poppies.

I think we should take it as a good sign that Canada has fewer veterans of modern wars than many other countries.  While it is important that those who have experienced warfare share it with others, it is even more important that we don't embark in many battles in the first place.  "Take up our quarrel with he foe" could be read as war itself being our enemy.  Let's fight it today and all other days.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 06:11:36 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2003, 06:20:46 AM »

Good Morning DR Emily :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 06:21:01 AM by Craig »

Jason

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2003, 06:22:23 AM »

I love, love, love Scooby Doo. I also have a fond affection for Grumpy of the Seven Dwarfs...mostly because he reminds me of me. :)

The cartoon character that most resembles me at this very moment: The white rabbit from ALICE IN WONDERLAND because I'm late...I'm late...for a very boring day at work. Ciao!

Ben

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2003, 06:24:22 AM »

Jason, only 20 posts till Full Membership for you

Emily

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2003, 06:24:36 AM »

Good Morning DR Emily :)

Good morning DR Craig :)

To what to I owe this personalized greeting (other than my obvious charm, wit and the beauty radiating off that stick figure of course)? ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ben

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2003, 06:25:04 AM »

And 26 for me to Senior Membership. Maybe I will make it after all (a Mary Tyler Moore reference).

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2003, 06:35:09 AM »

Why DR Emily.. does one NEED a reason?  I should think and hope one does not

Emily

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2003, 06:35:53 AM »

just for that Craig - you have been karmalized :)

Danise

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2003, 06:56:03 AM »

Good morning all!  Hope those who were not feeling very well are MUCH better!

Well, since no one could see them, I updated my post.

Of course I like:

Bugs

and

Daffy

But I LOVE:

Roadrunner

and

Taz

D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 07:14:35 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ben

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2003, 06:59:29 AM »

At this point, Danise, all I see is a red X where the picture should be.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2003, 07:01:02 AM »

Since your signature line includes the word Scooby, one of those pictures wouldn't by chance be Scooby Doo would it? I know, I know, Scooby probably refers to Mr. Sinatra ;-)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up