Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HORMONES RUN AMOK  (Read 19215 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HORMONES RUN AMOK
« on: July 01, 2005, 11:58:46 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you and your hormones have run amok having read the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - their hormones are currently running amok, and the cows are mooing each other like crazy.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 11:59:59 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:HORMONES RUN AMOK
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 12:02:43 AM »

And the word of the day is: MILQUETOAST!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 12:11:45 AM »

Nat King Cole:  "Pretend"/"The Song From Raintree County"/"Time And The River"
Perry Como: "Round And Round"/"And I Love You So"/"Catch A Falling Star"
Jack Jones: "The First Night Of The Full Moon"/"The Race is On"/ "Wives and Lovers"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 12:20:23 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 12:17:14 AM »

Nat "King" Cole:  Unforgetable (especially with daughter Natalie)

Perry Como"  not a fan...can't name any songs of his (other than what Tom posted)

Jack Jones:  the theme from The Love Boat! ;) Actually, I really do like this song. :D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 12:17:33 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 12:21:46 AM »

Perry Como: You Are Never Far Away From Me, Catch a Falling Star, Magic Moments, and just about anything he sang.

Nat King Cole: When I Fall in Love, Mona Lisa

Jack Jones: Wives and Lovers, Lollipops and Roses, Dear Heart, Love With the Proper Stranger, Toys in the Attic.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 12:37:21 AM »

Nat King Cole: When I Fall in Love, Mona Lisa

I like "Mona Lisa" but "When I Fall in Love" is one of my absolute all-time favorite songs ever!  A couple of years ago, I was taking a group voice class/workshop with this incredible jazz pianist, Joe Baque, and I came up with this unique idea for a two-song medley.  I started with "When I Fall in Love" and then went into "A Quiet Thing" by Kander and Ebb.  My take on it was that they both started on the same note (B-flat) but of course, they were in two different keys.  Joe figured out this wonderful bridge between the two songs that worked itself through the key change so that the second song started on the same B-flat in a completely different key.  I never got to perform it, though.  Our class/workshop split up before we were able to finish working on it.  But I love the song!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 12:39:32 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 01:11:38 AM »

Hello DR Rodzinski. I have spent so many hours with your little tin box. Wonderful.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 01:12:05 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 01:12:21 AM »

I especially love the verse -

Maybe I'm old-fashioned
Feeling like I do
Maybe I am living in the past
But when I meet the right one
I know that I'll be true
My first love will be my last

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 01:15:14 AM »

Gee whiz, I have a lot of catching up to do. Been runnning amok myself here in Northern California, including a fine dim sum lunch with the great Ron Pulliam a few days back. Been missing y'all and will accept my bitchslap with openly bitchslapped arms.

Many family events, gatherings, outings and whatnot, little access to a decent computation device. I shall be back in the York of New on July 4. Then the catching up begins in earnest.

In the meantime, three great singers. And my favorites jump right to mind...
Como: Glendora and Magic Moments
Cole: That Sunday That Summer
Jones: Lady

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005, 01:19:25 AM »

Glad to hear it, Tomovoz. So many goodies on there!

More Jack Jones: Two deep cuts from the Lady LP: Brother  Where Are You? and Girl Talk. Those are good stuff.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2005, 01:22:30 AM »

While haunting a thrift shop in Berkeley, I found a cast LP from a Kander and Ebb show called "70 Girls 70". Anyone know anything about this?

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2005, 01:27:56 AM »

On CDnow. Failure but lots that's good.  The old movie was "Make Mine Mink" (1960 UK).
I enjoy the Cd very much.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 01:29:58 AM »

The trouble with the world to day is coffee in a cardboard cup.
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2005, 01:30:03 AM »

Cool. I snapped it up for a buck. Also a Four Coins LP with "Memories of You" on it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2005, 01:31:50 AM »

Hit it Lorraine.
(a 70 Girls 70 reference).  Competition for Dino.
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2005, 01:32:07 AM »

Well, gotta get off the Gal's mom's laptop now and hit the hay.
Good night!

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2005, 01:32:42 AM »

Goodnight.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2005, 02:07:20 AM »

DR Ron has appeared at 2.00am. I guess fighting martians was a drawout affair.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2005, 04:26:13 AM »

And the word of the day is: MILQUETOAST!
Milque can be found on aisle one; toast is in the bakery section.  (Takes a grocery store man to know these things!)

I've proof that the job is settling in, or that I'm settling into the job.  I've been dreaming about the place for the last three or four nights.  No, this is not the stuff of nightmares, it's actually good news, because it means that all the tricks of the trade are sinking in, becoming second nature to me now, like breathing out and breathing in in my best Rex Harrison impersonation.

Today is going to be especially busy, as the weekend crowd comes in and stocks up their larders.  That's all right, I'm feeling happy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2005, 04:29:26 AM »

While haunting a thrift shop in Berkeley, I found a cast LP from a Kander and Ebb show called "70 Girls 70". Anyone know anything about this?

70 GIRLS 70 is one of my favorite scores.  When I met Mildred Natwick, I told her how much I loved the elephant song.  One of my best friends from college was the assistant to costumer Jane Greenwood; he claims that if David Burns hadn't died in Philadelphia (causing the recasting of Hans Conreid) that the musical would still be running.  He said David Burns was brilliant and that there wasn't enough time to readjust/tailor the material to Conreid's very different approach.  

Good morning, all!  I have to pick up three days' worth of mail at the PO and then head to the recording office to drop off my LoC materials.  Back later.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2005, 04:36:04 AM »

Great, fun score.  Don't know much about how the script runs, but the LP doesn't have the script on it, does it!

"Coffee in a Cardboard Cup" was brought back in And the World Goes 'Round, the Kander and Ebb review.  I also enjoy "The Elephant Song" and "Go Visit Your Grandmother," which includes the lyric "You went to Fire Island this summer?/For God's sake show her the photograph!"  And "Boom Ditty Boom" is a perfect case of a Kander vamp being stretched into a complete number.  Yes, Rodzinsky, if you can snag that LP and have fun!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2005, 04:37:21 AM »

See!  Like minds!  (Hi, DRElmore!   :-*)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2005, 04:44:44 AM »

Have to get ready for work.  

I'm having to laugh, however, at customers with their cell phone addictions.  I used to think they were having severe ear aches, what with holding their hands to their ears all the time, but yesterday a woman came in, having a complete conversation while checking out, using one of those mike-and-earplug contraptions.  I couldn't tell when she was talking to me or to the other end of the line.  It was obviously just as confusing to the other end of the line, because she had to explain that some of the conversation was with me!

Just as ridiculous was the couple who were engaged in separate conversations on separate cell phones.  While using his free hand to communicate with me.  Does this couple ever talk with each other?  Intimately, over a dinner table?  What happens when, in the middle of said conversation, one of them has their minutes run out?  Such is intimacy in the new millenium.

All for now, time to get showered and pressed and on to work!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2005, 05:17:00 AM »

See!  Like minds!  (Hi, DRElmore!   :-*)

Woody, you beat me to it! ;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2005, 05:55:52 AM »

I like all three singers.  Very underrated,  really.  It's easy to forget how pleasant almost all of their stuff is.

For Jack Jones, it would have to be "Wives and Lovers" and "Lollipops and Roses."  

Nat King Cole:  "That Sunday That Summer" and that wonderful Gordon Jenkins' arrangement of "Stardust."  I like "Nature Boy" too.

Perry Como- "Glendora" and "Catch A Falling Star."  "Magic Moments" is catchy.

Luckily all three didn't get stuck with so much of that gimmicky crud that Mitch Miller foisted upon the world (and which many artists were forced to perform to compete).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 05:56:24 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Danise

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2005, 06:11:21 AM »

Morning all.

I hope you had a good nights sleep.

I need to putter around a bit then go get ready to have lunch with one of the ladies who retired from down at work.  

DR Ginny, So what are your plans for NYC--how long are you going to be in town?

Hi DR Kerry!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2005, 06:17:00 AM »

I'm sorry BK but I don't try the trival questions.  I know they are way beyond me.  I'm just not good with that kind of stuff.  

I used to try the quiz on BWW and never could get a good score.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2005, 06:30:54 AM »

I haven't looked at the map in a long time.  It seems I have finely given up the sea and have settled down to the correct place for my pin.  DR Rodzinski, on the other hand, is swimming off the west coast coast of Africa.   :)

I couldn't find DR Janes pin.   :(
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2005, 07:10:32 AM »

MBARNUM you are up early getting ready for the trip, I see.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2005, 07:11:12 AM »

7:11 am and I am drinking massive amounts of coffee to wake myself up for my drive to Lake Merwin.

Will meet up with Mark and James in Wilsonville for breakfast. We would carpool but they are only staying at the lake for the day while I will spend the night there...besides Mark hates the music I listen to in the car... and I tend to turn up the volume just to annoy him.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up