Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HORMONES RUN AMOK  (Read 19236 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:HORMONES RUN AMOK
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2005, 05:24:58 PM »

There was a revival of 70 Girls 70 in London (more PC and a couple of new songs) and the CD was recorded. TER 1971.

Yes, but they stupidly cut the elephant song!  Where's Patsy?  What did you have here?  The Santini Brothers?

I never understood the Santini Brothers line until I moved to New York.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2005, 05:30:04 PM »

I suspect he's hunting bares.

Maybe bare bears! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2005, 05:31:14 PM »

I really find it hard to believe some producer(s) is/are going to risk millions on THE WOMAN IN WHITE on Broadway. Do they REALLY think that after a truly American iconic story turned musical like SUNSET BLVD. didn't make a dime that folks are going to be rushing to see this British gothic mystery musical (even if Lloyd Webber did write the music). Are they aware that the man has had a huge string of Broadway flops since PHANTOM? Haven't they looked at the grosses of the movie of PHANTOM? I think Lloyd Webber is basically over in this country as far as new material is concerned.

Lloyd Webber makes a zillion dollars a day; he produced the dreadful BOMBAY DREAMS, and he'll probably produce THE WOMAN IN WHITE to say it ran in Broadway.  Then, some community theatres who don't think his work stinks will do it, just as they do all his other turkeys.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2005, 05:38:48 PM »

Lloyd Webber makes a zillion dollars a day; he produced the dreadful BOMBAY DREAMS, and he'll probably produce THE WOMAN IN WHITE to say it ran in Broadway.  Then, some community theatres who don't think his work stinks will do it, just as they do all his other turkeys.

So, DR elmore, don't hold back; tell us what you really think of ALW!

Finally, I'm home for what's left of the holiday weekend.  It was a very slow library day today.  DS Rob cooked burgers & fries for us for dinner, in the style of The Jug, the burger joint where he worked as a cook last summer.  Now, he and some friends are going out to see War of the Worlds.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Tomovoz

« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2005, 05:43:47 PM »

Much appreciated review DR Ron. Colin and I may venture out to see WotW in a week or so.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2005, 06:01:35 PM »

So, DR elmore, don't hold back; tell us what you really think of ALW!

I can't!  I'm too reticent.  Now I'm off to watch AMELIE.

Ginny

« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2005, 06:06:53 PM »

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2005, 06:11:27 PM »

DS Rob's movie outing has been called off.  There's now a "Math Lab" taking place at our kitchen table - Rob and one of his friends tutoring DH Richard in college algebra, using a computer program called Mathematica.  It's all beyond me.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 06:11:53 PM by Ginny »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2005, 06:14:26 PM »

"Aspects of Love" IS a work of Art   :P  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2005, 06:14:27 PM »

Yes, but they stupidly cut the elephant song!  Where's Patsy?  What did you have here?  The Santini Brothers?

I never understood the Santini Brothers line until I moved to New York.
Strange; I first heard the score when I was in college, with little if any understanding of New York City, and I always at least thought I understood the Santini line.  Santini/sanitation.  Made sense to me.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2005, 06:18:44 PM »

Der Brucer is watching the epic film Troy on cable right now.  The pervasive music is by James Horner.  I don't mind when a composer sounds like himself, but there's too much of this score that sounds like his earlier Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2005, 06:24:20 PM »

"Aspects of Love" IS a work of Art   :P  
Horses and courses Matthew
ALW's attempt to do his "A Little Night Music". A seedy tasteless book to begin with IMHO.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2005, 06:36:05 PM »

I'm quite logey.  Have eaten some sauteed chicken, mushrooms, and onions, plus fruit for dessert.  Nice, healthy, and low-cal all.

Michael

« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2005, 07:25:08 PM »

Take a look
Never stop dreaming.

Matthew

« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2005, 07:33:53 PM »

If I can't mess with you, DRTomovoz, who can I mess with?  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2005, 07:49:19 PM »

Good Evening!

Greetings from Poughkeepsie!!!

Well... After walking around the Vassar campus for about an hour or so, I finally found one of the 24-hour computer labs.  Right in my dorm.

:-\

At least I got some good walking/exercise in!

;)

So... Now I read...

Laters... But not too much laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2005, 07:50:30 PM »

Too true DR Matthew. What do I know anyway - I like "Evita" and "Whistle Down the Wind"! I've not seen a production of "Whistle" but I've seen all the other ALW shows. I saw "Cats" thrice and enjoyed it! (Just don't let anyone here know that!)

My tastes don't necessarily run to the popular. I thought the score for "Seussical" was so much better than "The Producers" though I enjoyed both shows. I thought "Full Monty" had a better score than "The Producers" too. Such are the tastes of someone who doesn't play a musical instrument.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2005, 07:51:45 PM »

Don't you hate when you've replied to a post and the Hainsie has left the building.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2005, 07:58:52 PM »

ASPECTS OF LOVE is to my ears Musak to the worst degree. Of all his scores, ASPECTS OF LOVE is for me THE WORST.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matthew

« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2005, 08:01:21 PM »

Thanks, Tom... I didn't like the cast CD of "Whistle" and I found the story kinda dumb.  I LOVE "Seussical" MD'd it last winter.  If we all liked the same thing, then we'd all be after the same (ummm, the actual word in this phrase is "man" but I'll say) person. It's good to share thoughts.  :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2005, 08:02:46 PM »

I have such wonderful taste. I am listening to a compilation of Meatloaf and Bonnie Tyler material. mostly Jim Steinman songs of course. DR Danise would be in heaven.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2005, 08:03:07 PM »

For some reason, I had it in my mind that Lloyd Webber wasn't personally financing his shows any more, that he was using his name to attract OTHERS to invest in his shows.

I know that he supposedly did finance $75 million for the film version of PHANTOM so it could be just as he wanted it, but I'm not sure about his shows any more and how they're financed.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2005, 08:05:00 PM »

What with researching the trivia question, answering the telephone, and having a friend drop by for drinks and a chat, I haven't gotten ANY movies watched tonight. I can't believe it!

I'll try again tomorrow.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2005, 08:06:20 PM »

I can't!  I'm too reticent.  Now I'm off to watch AMELIE.

Oh, yes!  LOL!

I'm SURE!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2005, 08:06:34 PM »

Try and locate the DVD of the film of "Whistle" with the delightful Hayley. My fondness for the innocence of the story and the characters has remained for 40 years. The book of the musical created havoc with the warmth of that film.
I have to look at the film and musical as two different animals indeed.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2005, 08:07:00 PM »

And maybe the thunderstorms will stay away tomorrow so that I can watch something all the way through in one sitting. That would also be a plus!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2005, 08:07:24 PM »

Good Evening once again!

I've read, and now I shall post...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2005, 08:08:12 PM »

...That was one - or two depending upon how you're counting.

And now this is two - or three...

And here comes three - or four...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2005, 08:09:10 PM »

Der Brucer is watching the epic film Troy on cable right now.  The pervasive music is by James Horner.  I don't mind when a composer sounds like himself, but there's too much of this score that sounds like his earlier Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn.

Welcome to the world of film music discussion!  THIS Horner issue -- his tendency to repeat himself ad infinitum -- is one of the most frequent complaints about him.

No one who loves movies -- and who actually hears the music in the movie -- appreciates being ripped out of something like "Troy" and deposited into outer space because they've heard the same bits before in a "Star Trek" film.

But that's our little Jamie Horner...

But I will give him props on that entire sequence that shows the fleet of the Greek states at sail that segues to the triumphal arrival of Helen and Paris into Troy....totally thrilling music.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 08:15:09 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2005, 08:13:05 PM »

Strange; I first heard the score when I was in college, with little if any understanding of New York City, and I always at least thought I understood the Santini line.  Santini/sanitation.  Made sense to me.

Woody, the Santinis are a large moving company in NYC.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up