Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SALLY FORTH  (Read 18086 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:SALLY FORTH
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2005, 08:27:58 AM »

The Innocents was the first play for which I provided underscoring, yesterday when I was young.   ;)  I was still in HS (maybe 15 or so) and was hired to write the music for a professional production in SLC.  I had never actually written down my "tunes" before--I just kind of remembered them.  So this was my first experience in notating "everything" for everybody.  But I think I wrote some evocative music for the show, including a nice haunting theme scored for solo violin, piano and IIRC celesta (might have been glock--I don't think I even have the music anymore).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2005, 08:29:21 AM »

Another show to watch out foron TCM

Tonight, TCM is premiering a new one hour documentary on sci-fi movies of the 1950s called WATCH THE SKIES! It's by critic/documentarian Richard Schickel (whom I know quite a few on here don't like), but the show sounds good from the VARIETY review if a bit truncated since an hour isn't much time to cover such a vast array of material from that decade.

Anyway, I still plan on watching.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2005, 08:31:43 AM »

Forgot to mention that WATCH THE SKIES comes on tonight at 8 p.m. (EDT) with an encore at 10:30 p.m.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2005, 08:32:31 AM »

Ah, that's better... No more widescreen... Just had to close and reopen my browser...

And now let me switch to my laptop...

-Don't just love the play by play...

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2005, 08:44:00 AM »

Going to be another scorcher down South today, so once again, no walking for me. Will have to exercise inside. Looks like the rest of the week is going to be more of the same. At some point, I will have to mow my grass unless the intense heat burns it away.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2005, 08:48:06 AM »

Ah, the joys of multi-tasking - and working on two computers at the same time.  I'm printing out orchestra scores and parts on one.  And surfing the net on the other - my own - whilst said scores and parts are printing out.  How convenient.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2005, 08:49:19 AM »

Going to be another scorcher down South today, so once again, no walking for me. Will have to exercise inside. Looks like the rest of the week is going to be more of the same. At some point, I will have to mow my grass unless the intense heat burns it away.

Loose, light-colored, light-weight clothing.

Sunscreen.

Water.  Lots of water.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2005, 08:55:38 AM »

Lovely photos yesterday - camping and fireworks and beaches.  Thanks!

Yes, as DRMATT and DRELMORE have written - Mr Larson's partner was Mr James Bridges, most famous for his film THE PAPER CHASE.  But my favorite Bridges film is calle 9/30/55 and stars Mr Richard Thomas as one of a group of Midwestern teenagers who are obsessed with James Dean and the effect his death has on them.  Uses a LOT of the score from REBEL and GIANT!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2005, 08:56:15 AM »

DR Elmore, the first blind item is either Allison Janney or Star Jones, both of whom are recently married to men who have gossiped about on the boards for awhile.

Who did Allison Janney marry?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2005, 08:56:50 AM »

Hmmm....TOD:

THE RAINMAKER to be sure, and AUNTIE MAME.  

Since a lot of my favorites have been mentioned, I will add one that is new to the list:

WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

and THE WOMEN.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2005, 09:02:19 AM »

DR ELMORE mentioned that a new biography of Henry Willson will soon be published.  Oh my!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2005, 09:02:26 AM »

In other news...

After our very brief, but very good orchestra rehearsal yesterday, the conductor and the director took out the orchestra members and myself out for dinner.  We had tried to make reservations at one of the nice places near campus, but since it was the Fourth of July, everything was closed.  Except for the Chinese carry-out place.  *Which is surprisingly good.  So, we ended up at Uno's Chicago Pizzeria & Grill.  Or just "Uno's" for short.

Once we got to the restaurant, we were also joined by the director daughther, Tess; Michelle, our composer; Amanda McBroom, our lyricist; Wayne Wilcox, one of the actors; and, as "promised", Laurel Massé.

Laurel, it turns out, is a dear friend of Amanda's.  In fact, it was Amanda who helped Laurel start to get back into the business and start performing again.  -More later...

We had a very good time.  The food was good - and we only had to send back one salad since the mandarin orange slices were "off" - they had started fermenting already.  There was plenty of dish, of course, since this was a table full of theatre types and musicians.  How could there not be dish!

And there were also some wonderful stories shared by everyone about their experiences in the "biz" and in life.  It's just amazing to think that we could all be sharing stuff like that - and most of had just met yesterday.  Some of us just then at Uno's!
Make Your Own Luck.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2005, 09:06:00 AM »

My favorite play to film adaptions are
   DINNER WITH FRIENDS
   WIT
   ANGELS IN AMERICA
   AUNTIE MAME
   THE BAD SEED
If Shakespeare counts, I loved the resettings of ROMEO & JULIET and HAMLET (Ethan Hawke).

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2005, 09:07:35 AM »

It's always good to have a corrupt official in your pocket, but a party until 4 am is not neighborly but rather the height of rudeness and inconsideration.  You've got a lawfirm, can't  they do something for you?

It's not really a law firm kind of issue, if they ever caused any permanent kind of damage I could sue, but its noise and debris.. and since I cannot get a police report. (these guiys have sokmeone pretty good in their pocket because all they do is sell fireworks and illegal cigarettes out of their garage and they do it quite openly... while people all around are being arrested for fireworls possession nothing happens here and they have been reported numerous times by numerous neighbors and nothing happend.  I suppose we could try going to the local newspapers but as they are quite obviously  "connected" we are not quite sure what the personal ramifications would be... so better we go out  every 4th to miss most of the noise and come back at night to make sure they don't burn down our house.

They have actually offered in the past to get us a hotel room for the evening but we are afraid to leave the house alone because we are afraid of a stray rocket burning the place down

So we run the sprinklers, hose down the roof and siding  and keep a couple of hoses ready just in case.....
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2005, 09:12:18 AM »

Favorte Movies from Plays:

Becket
The Lion in Winter
Witness for the Prosecution
Suddenly Last Summer
Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
Ten Little Indians
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Women
The Man Who Came to Dinner
You Can't Take it With You
Anastasia
Auntie Mame
The Seven-Year Itch
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
Sleuth
The Odd Couple
Barefoot in the Park
I Am A Camera
Member of the Wedding
Born Yesterday

...among others.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 10:07:17 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2005, 09:15:31 AM »

Still printing out parts...  Boy, do these PDF files take forever!

However, it is kind of neat being able to use the internet to send and receive the scores and parts from the people in NYC.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2005, 09:23:48 AM »

DRs Danise, Ginny, Jane:

About this October trek, can you please PM or email me with dates and hotels in the City?  I need to start a calendar, because there are things brewing . . .

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2005, 09:31:13 AM »

Welcome back Rodzinski, that was a loooong trip! Hope it was a fun one!

TOD:
THESE THREE
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR
both from the same play.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2005, 09:33:16 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Meeting is being rescheduled, which is good because it would have made me late to rehearsal.

Excellent lists all!  I agree with many of the choices.

I'm glad that haineshisway.com beat out Page Six in terms of gossip number two.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2005, 09:33:34 AM »

PHEROMONE, baby, PHEROMONE!

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2005, 09:34:52 AM »

DRs Danise, Ginny, Jane:

About this October trek, can you please PM or email me with dates and hotels in the City?  I need to start a calendar, because there are things brewing . . .

DR elmore - check your email!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2005, 09:37:44 AM »

DR elmore - check your email!

I just answered yours.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2005, 09:42:09 AM »

I just answered yours.

Got it!  Ain't technology grand?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2005, 09:43:39 AM »

DR Elmore, the first blind item is either Allison Janney or Star Jones, both of whom are recently married to men who have gossiped about on the boards for awhile.

I've heard nothing about Alison Janney's marriage or husband, but my suspicion from NYC gossip was that it might be Jennifer Garner's new husband.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2005, 09:50:27 AM »

Re: the gossip.  Hasn't Jennifer Garner only been married a week?  I doubt she has gone to any award shows since then.

Btw, no Big Brother comments? :(

So who will be watching this year? (DRS Ron? MattH? Stuart? MBarnum?)  Anyone else?  I think the twist sounds very interesting.  Survivor has nothing on them!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2005, 09:51:07 AM »

The fireworks here last night were really neat.  A slew of us gathered around Sunset Lake here on the Vassar campus starting around 8:30.  The New York Stage & Film staff had set up a dessert buffet for those of us in the program this summer.  Cupcakes, hamantaschen, rugelach, cheesecakes, pound cakes, pudding cakes, cookies, ice cream, popsicles.  Oh, and a keg of beer!  Dessert and Beer - What could be be better?  And more Fourth of July?!?!

;)

Sunset Lake is a small lake.  The crowd sat on one side, and the fireworks were set up on the other side - only about 200 feet away.

It was amazing being soooo close to the fireworks.  We could see the guys with flares lighting them, and then they fireworks would be right overhead.  And sometimes we could see the "sparks" trailing off into the tree tops.  The "booms" were really boomy, and the colors were electric.  They only lasted about 15 minutes - and we knew they were over when we could see the "flarers" waving their flares in the air signaling that the show was over.  Lots of ooohs and ahhs.  It wasn't the biggest display I've ever seen in person, but the "intimacy" of the situation added some extra excitement.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2005, 09:52:35 AM »

Now, wait just a darned minute - who is Jennifer Garner's new husband?  Last I heard she was with Ben Affleck.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2005, 09:56:52 AM »

Yes Jennifer Garner's new husband is Ben Affleck.

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2005, 09:58:17 AM »

Apparently they are having a baby this fall (i think november).

So the pregnancy is being written into the storyline on Alias.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2005, 10:06:20 AM »

Wait a minute - they JUST got married and the baby is due in November?  Why, that means that...

I'm so bored of these marriages - it's like kiddie playtime.  He leaves JLo in January of 2004 - she marries Marc Anthony a few months later.  Amazing how you can just fall in and out of love so fast, isn't it?  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up