Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THAT IS CORRECT, TURN THE PAGE  (Read 18070 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THAT IS CORRECT, TURN THE PAGE
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2005, 07:41:34 AM »

Very, very sad to read in VARIETY this morning that the great screenwriter Ernest Lehman has died.

For those who didn't already know, he wrote the screenplays for such classics as NORTH BY NORTHWEST, SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, WEST SIDE STORY, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME, and WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF.

He was nominated for a bunch of Oscars during his career, but he never won one in competition. The Academy voted him a Special Oscar a few years ago, the only screenwriter ever to have been voted a special Academy Award.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2005, 07:44:04 AM »

Sorry I can't answer your Allison Hayes question, DR Jrand. I know it's something of a sacrilege, but clips flew by very fast in a couple of montages, and I don't have a good enough working knowledge of Ms. Hayes' looks to know her when I see her, despite the pics you provide for us.

But I'm sure some others who watched and who are more familiar with Allison will be able to respond.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2005, 07:44:21 AM »

::))

"You roll those eyes one more time, mister, and I'll give you such a smack on the head that they'll roll up and never come back down!!!"

...sorry...I'm having a flashback of the nuns in grammar school...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2005, 07:47:37 AM »

Another note on the new WAR OF THE WORLDS. A friend of mine who's a movie fan (still goes to the theater to see them all the time) has already seen it twice declaring it superb and the best thing he's seen in a long time.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2005, 07:49:30 AM »

A question for BK -

Are you considering making an original cast CD of WHAT IF? for release on your new label? And are you considering packaging the script and songs for licensing by other performance groups?

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2005, 07:52:21 AM »

Another day with no packages. sob, sob.  :(

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2005, 07:54:28 AM »

And wouldn't you just know it? I forgot once again about RENO 911! last night. It may be summer, but there are still plenty of shows on now playing new episodes (at 10 last night were RENO 911, RESCUE ME, and QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY with new episodes)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2005, 07:57:40 AM »

Nuns in grammar school?  I didn't know they let them take the vows that early!!!

;D ;D ;D ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2005, 08:02:20 AM »

DR DtM answered my question, DRMATTH....I am stunned that you are not familiar enough with Miss Hayes to notice when she passes by...  Obvously the holders of those particular rights don't want to overexpose Allison before the release of the 2-Disk Criterion Special Edition of ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN later sometime in the future maybe it will happen....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2005, 08:09:24 AM »

DR SWW...re:My CD.  As Tony Randall once said when Arlene Francis mentioned his new LP on the Mercury label during an appearance on WHAT'S MY LINE:  Yes, this is the record the WORLD has been waiting for!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2005, 08:09:43 AM »

I forgot to mention...it's a simple little system.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2005, 08:11:53 AM »

Well, do you know what makes doing community theatre so stressful and unpleasant?  And yes, I know there are many answers to that question, but I will only say, it is untalented boyfriends of directors who know EVERYTHING about putting on a show even though their only experience in theatre was four years ago as a contestant in the Miss Sunset Manor at-large drag contest - in which they place fifth out of five contestants.

And that, as they say, is that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 08:13:02 AM by JRand54 »

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2005, 08:16:08 AM »

Another BK question -

Since you reviewed the early Paramount releases ANOTHER TIME, ANOTHER PLACE and THE RAINMAKER, did you also get a copy of ELEPHANT WALK? All of these are to be released next week, but I wondered what you thought of EW if you did indeed get it.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2005, 08:20:51 AM »

Very pleased to read that another DVD of 1950s MICKEY MOUSE CLUB episodes is coming out next week. And it's budget priced - unlike the more expensive Disney tin that came out last year of the first week of episodes.

But I wish Disney would release an entire set of its serials: "Spin and MArty" or "The Hardy Boys" or "Annette." I'd quickly snap up any of those from the old Club days.

Jason

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2005, 08:30:12 AM »

BK - I know how you feel about the customer demanding his/her CD without having actually paid attention to the provided information. Last week our library was closed for inventory, so no materials were shipped out at all for the whole week. Two months ago, we started sending out notices with every piece of mail that went out and we posted a notice on the website that you had to read and click on before you could proceed to any other pages. I can't tell you how many people called me bitching about how their materials hadn't arrived yet. Well, guess what?!? They waited til the last minute and ordered the stuff the day after the library closed and then acted as if it were a big surprise - that they hadn't been notified. What a crock!

Then there are those people who are dumb enough to return contracts to us without signing them or even filling out the necessary billing information, but that's a story for another day...

Last night I did laundry for nearly three hours. THREE HOURS!! And it was pouring rain outside, so between the heat from the dryers and the humidity from outside, you can imagine what that laundromat smelled like. Not pretty.

I'm seeing ALTAR BOYZ tomorrow night. Has anyone seen it? Am I going to hate it?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2005, 08:30:53 AM »

Now to make my posts an even half dozen, my ASK BK question:

We are all familiar with knock-out musicals and musical numbers in movies - BUT is there a musical number that takes place in an otherwise mediocre film (original or adaptation) that is so terrific it lifts the whole movie for you and what musical number in what film do you think is the best staged of all - for a motion picture?

Is it My Sister Eileen that has the Challenge Dance?  If so, that's a great number in a not-great movie.  I don't remember what it is, but I think there's an equally good number in the just okay Give a Girl a Break - and there's Bobby Van's number in, I think, Small Town Girl.  

I think the Prologue and the Dance at the Gym are brilliantly staged numbers for the camera - also Singin' in the Rain's title song.  And I love Do Re Mi from The Sound of Music - again, brilliantly done for the camera.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2005, 08:36:48 AM »

A couple of questions for BK:  In all of your cast recording experience, have you ever had to make a cut in a number because of time constraints that agonized you to do so?  If so, what was it?
Are there any recordings that you have produced that you would like to re-release on Kritzerland so that you could remix them or include material that was previously left off?

In the cast album world, I've been pretty lucky to include pretty much everything - in certain cases, maybe more than we should have.  But, the only album I would have liked to include one more thing was The King and I, but it would have brought the album just past the "safe" level that was then acceptable for CD - The Small House of Uncle Thomas.  I could have cut something else to include it, but I really wanted to make that album the way I wanted to make that album, and I'm still happy with my decisions (which everyone on the production staff concured with).   There isn't really anything where material was left off that I'd like to reissue.  And I could spend the rest of my life going back and remixing and nitpicking, but there's nothing I'm that embarrassed by that I would.  Well, there was one track, which elmore well remembers, where I wasn't that pleased with the mix, but I eventually did it again - Disneyland.  I'll let elmore tell the story, but we spent four or five hours on that mix, and then "lost" it due to a power failure.  We remixed it quickly and it was okay but it really has always rankled me.  When we put it on as the "hidden" track on one of Michelle Nicastro's albums, we used that orchestral track and I was able to get the mix just the way I liked it.

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2005, 08:37:05 AM »

Well, do you know what makes doing community theatre so stressful and unpleasant?  And yes, I know there are many answers to that question, but I will only say, it is untalented boyfriends of directors who know EVERYTHING about putting on a show even though their only experience in theatre was four years ago as a contestant in the Miss Sunset Manor at-large drag contest - in which they place fifth out of five contestants.

LOL! That gave me my big guffaw of the day!  :D

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2005, 08:38:04 AM »

....and I have been wondering where the Allison Hayes pictures of the week have been???

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2005, 08:40:49 AM »

Now, I am not probably a good judge of choreography, but I know what I like...not so hot movie: GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS with fun dance number to the song Girls, Girls, Girls.

Most magnificent choreography:

GRANT AVENUE in FLOWER DRUM SONG

That number from 7 BRIDES FOR 7 BROTHERS where they are dancing while building the building.

Those are the two that stand out in my mind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2005, 08:41:37 AM »

A question for BK -

Are you considering making an original cast CD of WHAT IF? for release on your new label? And are you considering packaging the script and songs for licensing by other performance groups?

We are considering it - it depends how well these first two CDs sell.  Recording What If, like any cast album, costs more than you would think, due to AFTRA's unyielding rates and outrageous pension and welfare percentage (32%).  I may, in fact, try to work out something with LA AFTRA, with the actor's permission (which they'd all do) - NY AFTRA are the worst, but I know a couple of people in LA, and I'd love to get them to do what I've tried to get NY AFTRA to do - a low budget pressing plan agreement like the AFM has done.  

As to stock and amateur, I'd love to do it, but I just haven't had the time to do all the legwork with clearing the rights.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2005, 08:42:23 AM »

Another BK question -

Since you reviewed the early Paramount releases ANOTHER TIME, ANOTHER PLACE and THE RAINMAKER, did you also get a copy of ELEPHANT WALK? All of these are to be released next week, but I wondered what you thought of EW if you did indeed get it.

Elephant Walk has been sitting on the table for three weeks.  Maybe I'll run it tonight.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2005, 08:42:35 AM »

Hello, DRTomovoz!  Please give my regards to DROzderek when you next speak to him.

DRRonPulliam, I liked LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, but I believe the orchestration, which sounds better in the theatre without the added strings, is all of a same quality: string pads, occasional reed, lot of harp and keyboard noodlings.  Some of it is quite beautiful and a lot of it sounds the same.  It's the only Tony Award from PIAZZA that I question.  Larry Hochman's scoring caught the mood of every song in the score, and he had a much larger palette of orchestra colors to work with.  I think he deserved the award for "The Song That Goes Like This" alone.

I appreciate that, Larry.  I do.  You've been nothing if not clear about your assessment of "Light in the Piazza."

But when you said you thought Hochman was robbed at the Tonys, I heard a call for some karmic balance.  

That's all.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2005, 08:49:45 AM »

And I hope I've been clear about MY assessment of Piazza - a one-time listen.  I'll still see the show, but I really wasn't so thrilled with what I heard on the CD, which I found not so ravishing (the word that Frank Rich uses in the booklet that everyone else has used), and not so interesting.  In fact, I was sent a review of the show (mostly the score) that appeared in the NY Observer - sent to me by someone who agreed with my assessment.  It's pretty interesting.

And, even thought it's a bit early -

UNDULATE, baby, UNDULATE!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2005, 08:52:16 AM »

I like how the title song in the On The Town movie is staged.  It's nothing really spectacular, but I like how it evokes the excitement of a group of friends who are striking out to have a fun time in the city at night.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2005, 08:58:39 AM »

It's an interesting view of Indiana!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2005, 08:59:03 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

I have tried to "win" two copies of a Japan mini LP CD of Connie Francis singing Bacharach.  I put outrageous top bids on them and sniped through eSnipe.  And lost both of them to crazy people.  I would never have expected to pay the top I put in, so I'm glad I "lost" them.  One idiot paid close to sixty-eight bucks, and the other idiot paid for three imports, of which the Bacharach was one - he paid 149.00.  Now, it JUST came out.  The most it would cost in Japan is somewhere between twenty-six and thirty-six bucks.  

Jason

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2005, 08:59:47 AM »

My thoughts on PIAZZA and SPAMALOT (not that anyone asked): I think PIAZZA is a breath of fresh air on Broadway right now. It's one of the most romantic new scores I've heard in a long, long time and it just makes you want to get kicked in the head by a Shetland pony and fall in love - though it took more than one listen before I thought so. In fact, I was bored by it the first time I saw the show. After listening to the recording multiple times, however, I can't wait to go back and see it. I think the orchestral arrangements are gorgeous - they remind me of a 1950's film score with the harps and strings and the loveliness. Yes, it all sort of sounds of one vein, but...well, it IS all of one vein.

I have no doubt that Mr. Hochman's orchestrations are brilliant for SPAMALOT. I've seen the show. I've got the recording. I don't remember his orchestrations, though. Maybe that's a good thing - orchestrations shouldn't beat you over the head, I suppose - but honestly, I didn't notice them. I was too busy being horrified by how boring the leading men were and waiting for Sara Ramirez to come back onstage. She's the funniest thing on Broadway right now, though Sherie Rene Scott gives her a run for her money. I'll have to go back to the CD and listen for the orchestrations 'cause I really don't remember them at all.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 09:05:33 AM by Jason »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2005, 09:04:54 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

...We're on an unfortunate, unexpected break right now...

VIBES would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2005, 09:05:48 AM »

I appreciate that, Larry.  I do.  You've been nothing if not clear about your assessment of "Light in the Piazza."

But when you said you thought Hochman was robbed at the Tonys, I heard a call for some karmic balance.  

That's all.

Well, I still think he was robbed, but I told Sir Ian MacKellan when I worked with him on BABES IN TOYLAND that he'd been robbed the year he lost the Academy Award for GODS AND MONSTERS.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up