Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THAT IS CORRECT, TURN THE PAGE  (Read 18084 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:THAT IS CORRECT, TURN THE PAGE
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2005, 09:06:15 AM »

Speaking of getting kicked in the head by a Shetland pony, I could give one to myself for forgetting that TCM ran the movie version of Light In The Piazza last Friday.  Anyone catch it?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2005, 09:06:54 AM »

How can I undulate?  I haven even dulated yet!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2005, 09:07:48 AM »

Time to get ready for work yet again.   :-* to all!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jason

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2005, 09:09:55 AM »

GOOD VIBES, JOSE!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2005, 09:12:01 AM »

Page Three Dance At The Gym:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2005, 09:14:54 AM »

End of Connie Francis/Bacharach story: Just went to cdjapan.com and purchased it.  Cost: $21, add 10 bucks for quick EMS shipping and voila.  Perhaps I'll drop a note to the crazy bidders, just to let them know how crazy they are.

Jason

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2005, 09:15:35 AM »

I think "Rich Man's Frug" comes off very well on film. I think "Steam Heat" does, too. Of course, Mr. Bob Fosse was directing his own material.

I also get a kick out of seeing "Turkey Lurkey Time" in "Camp" only because of the choreography - it's so exciting! I wish I had a copy of Donna and company doing it, though - now THAT was some dancing! A friend of mine has all of the Tony performance clips dating back to the first broadcast, and he keeps promising a copy for me, but I've yet to get it. To have "Turkey Lurkey Time," the CHORUS LINE sequence and the DREAMGIRLS sequence would just make my day.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2005, 09:15:37 AM »

Oh My Goodness!  Oh My Goodness!  Oh My Goodness! (an Annie reference) It's 9:20 and I haven't even taken a shower!  I've been catching up, but now I must shower and shave and hie myself to my work environs and order new books and return defective books and deal with other assorted library related issues.  I'm off to work. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2005, 09:48:32 AM »

They may seem like pedestrian choices, but my vote for thrillingly staged musical numbers on film include (in addition to some of the aforementioned):

"Fame" (From FAME)
"Don't Rain on My Parade" (From FUNNY GIRL)

In fact, never having seen FGirl on stage (There, I've admitted it, though I love the stage score), I can't imagine this number being as thrilling on stage.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2005, 09:54:05 AM »

Well, I still think he was robbed, but I told Sir Ian MacKellan when I worked with him on BABES IN TOYLAND that he'd been robbed the year he lost the Academy Award for GODS AND MONSTERS.

Indeed he was...and a few years later when he was denied Best Supporting Actor for "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"!!!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2005, 09:55:25 AM »

Speaking of getting kicked in the head by a Shetland pony, I could give one to myself for forgetting that TCM ran the movie version of Light In The Piazza last Friday.  Anyone catch it?

IIRC, DR Matt H missed it, too!  And angst ensued.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2005, 10:08:27 AM »

Oy and vey - such mysteries and oddities going on.  Sometimes, trying to deal with master tapes and such is like being Phillip Marlowe.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2005, 10:13:27 AM »

trying to deal with master tapes ....

Don't!  You'll go blind!

Oh.  Never mind

Ladies and gentlemen, my homage to DR TCB (and Emily Litella).  Merci.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2005, 10:17:01 AM »

Vibes to DRJOSE - I hope the director's boyfriend didn't cause it!

Probably the only good view of Indiana, DRELMORE.

I was at the theatre and couldn't tape PIAZZA, but perhaps TCM will rerun it again....they have been doing LOTS replays lately, and it is included in their July monthly promo in conjunction with the show on Broadway.

I agree with DRJASON in having TURKEY LURKEY TIME in the movie CAMP in order to see the terrific choreography, and I am enjoying hearing about everyone's favorite dance sequences.

Yes MR BK - MY SISTER EILEEN had the challenge dance between Bob Fosse and Gower Champion, and featured the Misses Betty Garrett and Janet Leigh.

The Challenge Dance-Barn Raising in 7Bfor7B is outstanding and makes me excited each time I see it.

As for little known numbers or numbers in otherwise ordinary films...I love the dance duet by Marge and Gower in LOVELY TO LOOK AT to the tune of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes and Eleanor Powell's hula-tap number in HONOLULU.  And the funhouse number by Astaire and Burns & Allen in DAMSEL IN DISTRESS.

And that's enough for one post.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2005, 10:17:40 AM »

DR MBARNUM I am giving HHW a rest from the Allison Hayes pictures of the week.  I want to come back with something spectacular in August!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2005, 10:17:43 AM »

Jason it is nice to see you again.  As I was showing my friend the site she asked if anyone ever talks directly to me, AND THERE WAS MY NAME!  :D Perfect timing!

Those fireworks were spectacular on TV and yes, very nice not to deal with the crowds.

Ben

« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2005, 10:18:51 AM »

Jason, re your laundry, at least you're no longer dealing with Senorita Lavadora (or whatever you used to call her), right? I mean, she didn't move to Astoria did she?

Re Altar Boyz. I thought it was cute, not much more. I have friends who LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. For me it wore thin after a while. Some good performances adroitly straddling the line between camp and bad but I don't see it as a long runner.

Out of the 4 musicals nominated for Tonys I still think Dirty Rotten Scoundrels should have won. I laughed at Spamalot. I had a good time. I think it's well directed and has some great funny moments (if you're a Python fan) but Best Musical - I don't think so. The same goes for Spelling Bee. I had a good time. I laughed a lot but the laughter was from the book, not many of the songs. I think it's a weak score and would have been better as a quirky play. Dan Fogleberg did a great job in the show but the more I hear his big song (on CD) the more annoying I find it. I am not a fan of forced speech impediments as a character trait and there is more than one of these in Spelling Bee. As I just said about Altar Boyz, it wears thin, hearing lisps and adenoidal clogged noses, etc.

For me, the two real contenders for Best Musical were Piazza and Scoundrels. Obviously, the majority of the voters felt otherwise.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2005, 10:23:28 AM »

Good Vibes for Jose!!

Jane

« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2005, 10:26:24 AM »

Matthew, so glad you are having a great time.  It is hard not to in Paris.  You only found one place with Madeline’s!  When we were in Paris it seemed every bakery had them.  Of course some were better than others.

Good news about OzDerek! :)  Continued good work vibes for him.  Thanks for passing along the card Tomovoz.

Thanks Danise.  Sorry I couldn’t stay longer.  

Jason

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2005, 10:27:25 AM »

Ben: No, La Lavadora did not come with me, but my Spanish-speaking skills are helping me a great deal when speaking with the owner of my new laundromat.  Of course, my first time there I was nervous and ended up asking for soup instead of detergent, but I quickly corrected myself. :\

I agree that SPAMALOT really didn't deserve Best Musical. I would have been equally happy if SCOUNDRELS or PIAZZA would have won it. At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, it seems as if the Tony voters have something against Mr. Yazbek. Of course, he sort of said he'd never write for the theatre again after MONTY, but...he came back with what I think is an even better show. SPAMALOT was a bore to my way of thinking. I guess it would have been more fun if I were a Monty Python fan. As I said before, I thought the leading men were terrible bores - very disappointing as I've been a big fan of most of their other work - and Sara Ramirez was the only saving grace IMHO. I certainly didn't think Mr. Nichols' direction was Tony-worthy, either. But that's what makes apples and oranges, right? Or something like that...

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2005, 10:29:04 AM »

Vibes for DR Jose.

Jason

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2005, 10:29:27 AM »

Jane: Good to see you! It made me happy to hear that you saw Louisville's fireworks all the way out west.

Re. ALTAR BOYZ: I have a feeling it's a one-trick pony and I'm going to get bored with it. MTI thought about picking it up for licensing, but as many of us pointed out, poking fun at religion doesn't really sell well in the midwest, so I think  we're passing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2005, 10:35:14 AM »

I shall now be on my way to Mr. Grant Geissman's home environment.  I shall then be on my way to an old haunt, which should be a bit peculiar, and then I shall be on my way to rehearse with Mr. Kevin Spirtas.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2005, 10:41:43 AM »

Ben guess I won't be spending next year watching the Louisville fireworks.  We have friends who want to watch them in Alaska next year.  I guess we can force ourselves to join them.

Anyone know where they have great fireworks in Alaska?

Ben

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2005, 10:44:41 AM »

I think the most over-rated performance in Spamalot is Tim Curry's. I felt he was walking through the show when I saw it (early in the run just before the reviews).

I think you're right about Altar Boyz. There is an underlying tone to the show that is difficult to describe but, at least as I saw and heard it, is condescending and rather off-putting. I'm not remotely religious and I wasn't offended so much as just, I don't know. I can't put words to it. I do know that I wouldn't feel comfortable sending anyone who is seriously religious to the show. There is a smarmy quality about it that I don't like, despite the caveats from the creative team that they are not "dissing" religion at all. It just doesn't ring true to me

Jane

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2005, 10:45:29 AM »

Jed and Ann did you drive through or past Ashland?  
The views of Mt Shasta from Mt. Ashland are beautiful.  If I weren’t so busy I would be hiking Mt Ashland today with my hiking group.

Ann, I’m with your mother when it comes to Streisand but my children definitely don’t feel the same as you do.

Ben

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2005, 10:46:02 AM »

I've heard that Alaska in the spring and summer is amazing. I've always wanted to take a trip there. Alaska is not high on Anthony's list of places to visit.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2005, 10:47:13 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Thank you, all, for the VIBES.  One of our actors had a cardiac emergency about an hour into rehearsal.  He was just sitting in the house waiting to go on, and then one of the actresses thought he had fallen asleep, and then...  However, by the time the paramedics came, and they were carrying him out building, he was already complaining, so that's a good sign.  He was more "angry" at himself rather than "scared".

And Vassar's Hospital is also a "heart hospital" too, so he's in good hands.

We'll be gettng updates throughout the afternoon.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2005, 10:49:40 AM »

In other news...

As for the Topic of the Day...

DITTO

;)

...But "Moses Supposes" always brings a smile to my face.  And what the other Gene Kelly movie where he's a sailor (again), and there's that dance where they put the trash cans on their feet?  I like that one too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2005, 10:51:48 AM »

For you NYCers - It looks like I'm going to stay here at New York Stage & Film through Friday morning - this way I can see the first performance.

But then I plan to leave on the 9:30 train to NYC, and then grab head to Amtrak in the afternoon to head back to DC.

Anyone up for lunch in Grand Central on Friday?  Or anywhere en route between Grand Central and Penn Station?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up