Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: SLOW DOWN  (Read 17437 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:SLOW DOWN
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2005, 08:23:47 PM »

Flying Monk(ey)s, eh?

Oh....Matt H....I don't think you're in Kansas!

OH, DR Ron, you are so WICKED. . . . (there is no groaning allowed at HHW).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2005, 08:27:35 PM »

I get an update of the guest via e-mail and Kim was listed...maybe she isn't listed on the website just yet...I met Pamela Ferndyn one time when I went to that show and she was very nice and still looked the same!

I thought her name was Pamelyn Ferdin. I always liked her.

Matt H.

« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2005, 08:29:46 PM »

Lots of choices tomorrow about what I'll watch. I've got THE RAZOR'S EDGE out, but it's so long. I still have BEWITCHED episodes, or I could get around to SYLVIA SCARLETT on the DVR. I haven't seen it in decades.

Decision, decisions . . . .

Matt H.

« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2005, 08:53:25 PM »

Almost midnight on the East Coast, so I'm off to bed. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their evening.

Tomovoz

« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2005, 09:28:19 PM »

Hello DtM. A busy day for emails.  It's wet and cold here.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2005, 09:55:18 PM »

I thought her name was Pamelyn Ferdin. I always liked her.

You are correct...I knew there was a Y in there someplace...I just put it in the wrong name  :-X

Sorry Pamelyn!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2005, 09:57:53 PM »

DRMATTH - you will NEVER be sorry you started THE RAZOR'S EDGE!

The Emperor of the North Pole....could have been DR RLP.  Could have been.  There have been some great drive in double features....among my favorites:

JUDGE ROY BEAN and HAROLD & MAUDE
BONNIE & CLYDE and UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2005, 09:58:27 PM »

Hello JRand. I hope the night was a success.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2005, 10:00:21 PM »

Terrific audience tonight....a couple of missed sound cues.

And Miss I Know Everything decided to bring the stage lights up after ACT TWO while the actors were still moving into place....including the actress playing the dead girl.....  The audience laughed and applauded the error, but it was not a happy moment for me!

Good responses to all the moments that should have had them, and some nice laughs where nice laughs should be.

Of course, when one actor went back to make a quick change, someone had moved his sweatpants, so he came out in running shorts....

Tomorrow will have its own errors, I am sure.  Saturday!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2005, 10:00:41 PM »

Anxiously awaiting the SONDHEIM celebration precis.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2005, 10:00:59 PM »

I think it's time to go to bed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2005, 10:02:00 PM »

Hello JRand. I hope the night was a success.

All in all DRTOMovOZ - an okay night....as the above will let you know.  ;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2005, 11:19:00 PM »

I got home this evening and in the mail was a package from DR Jose!  I opened it and it was an autograph from Laurel Massé to ME!  I love her!  She was the original soprano in The Manhattan Transfer and I have almost all of her solo albums.  Anyway, here's a scan of what Jose sent to me.  It's on his very own origami paper (very nice!):
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2005, 11:20:33 PM »

:-* THANK YOU!! :-* THANK YOU!! :-* THANK YOU!! :-*
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jed

« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2005, 11:29:39 PM »

As promised, a report on TCB's production of 42nd Street...

The dance numbers came across quite well, definitely the highlights of the show.  Musically, fairly strong.  Good orchestra, nice sounding chorus, fairly good voices on the leads.  Acting, well... the dance numbers were quite good. :D  Actually, the acting wasn't all that bad, just not particularly good in most instances, though TCB was quite fun, of course.  The sound system was quite problematic, unfortunately, and the board op didn't seem to have a clue how to handle it.  I also wouldn't mind if the spotlight operator were given a bit of a training session before the next performance.  All in all, a decent evening's entertainment.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 11:31:49 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2005, 11:50:10 PM »

I'm back, and will now write the notes, which will be long and probably won't be up until 12:30.  Had a great, fun night at the Bowl - not a great show, by any means, but the Bowl itself is just so much fun, and I saw so many people I knew.

George

« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2005, 11:50:48 PM »

BK, were you able to take any pictures??

George

« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2005, 11:57:36 PM »

Since I have nothing better to do, I thought that I'd go back to the posts of July 4th, since I was away at the beach with my (biological) family all day.  I didn't know until just now that Jose had written this:

And the following will be of particular interest to DR George...

Its looks like original and former member of The Manhattan Transfer, Laurel Masse, will be supping with us tonight after the orchestra rehearsal.  She's a friend of the composer.

He was SOOOOO right!!  It WAS of particular interest to me! ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 11:58:23 PM by George »

Tomovoz

« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2005, 12:28:07 AM »

Come on along and listen to, a lullabye of Birkeland.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2005, 12:34:50 AM »

Vanity Post!

George

« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2005, 12:35:35 AM »

Today's 200th post and MY Post number 4444!!

George

« Reply #201 on: July 09, 2005, 12:42:26 AM »

I have finally finished reading all of the posts of July 4th.  What a splendid day of posts...especially the Laurel Massé info from Jose(!) AND the gossipy tidbit about Mr. T. Cruise! :o I vaguely remember reading somthing about his divorce from Nicole...that he had it done before their 10th anniversary because if it was afterwards, he would have to pay her a LOT more money in the divorce settlement.  I don't know if it's true, but it might seem like he's setting up Katie for the same deal. ::)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2005, 01:07:27 AM »

Well, I have returned from opening night of 42nd Street.  I would say that son, Jed’s, assessment of the production is fairly accurate.  Personally, I think the dance numbers in the show are fantastic.  I can’t say enough about the talented group of young (and not so young) hoofers who dance their hearts out and their feet off in this show.  Acting-wise, well, there isn’t a lot of it going on in this show, but, then again, I don’t remember anyone ever mentioning Ruby Keeler and Oscar in the same breath.

Technically, this show has had more problems than most theaters have in a season.  A week ago tonight, our lighting designer was walking a ladder off the stage, fell, and broke five ribs.  They finally managed to find a woman designer to take over the light design, who had, at least, done the show before; but who, unfortunately, had never worked at this theater or with any of their equipment.  She managed to light the show, but not without turning Wednesday night’s full dress rehearsal into a five hour tech rehearsal.  Unfortunately, Wednesday night was the first time the cast and, more importantly, the dancers got all of their costumes for the first time to try and see if they could do all the costume changes.  It wasn’t a problem for most of us, but the dancers had over a dozen costume changes to get through during the show.  Our sound operator was introduced to the cast last evening at 7:00 p.m., as he passed out the body mikes; and he then saw the show for the first time in his young life, exactly one hour later.  By the way, the follow-spot operator that Jed mentioned is the son of our Dorothy Brock, and is, I would guess, twelve years old.  

And to top of the tech nightmare of this show, about an hour before the show started tonight, the musical director came running in the back door and announced that Dory had fallen and possibly broken her hip.  All of us in the men’s dressing room were, of course, shocked and concerned; but mostly confused, because none of us had the slightest idea who the Hell Dory was.  We later learned that Dory was our scenic designer and painter and she had literally fallen only a few feet away from the stage door.  So, for the next forty minutes, the theater parking lot was filed with ambulances and fire trucks.  Fortunately, late word was that Dory probably only dislocated her hip, although she also may have broken her ankle (ohhh, a 42nd Street reference).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 01:08:29 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #203 on: July 09, 2005, 01:10:43 AM »

Whew!  I made it before BK went through the change!
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #204 on: July 09, 2005, 01:11:04 AM »

TCB, how long does the show run and is it at the same theater that I saw Scrooge?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #205 on: July 09, 2005, 01:11:18 AM »

............of the notes for the day!
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #206 on: July 09, 2005, 01:12:29 AM »

Whew!  I made it before BK went through the change!

I didn't know that BK ... maybe I shouldn't make that joke! ;) Every time I hear the phrase "the change," I think of the "All In the Family" episode where Edith is going through "the change" and Archie tells her to change...now!

George

« Reply #207 on: July 09, 2005, 01:13:21 AM »

............of the notes for the day!

Thanks for the clarification. ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #208 on: July 09, 2005, 01:14:03 AM »

Fortunately, this theater is actually in Tacoma (although only a few blocks from the Narrows Bridges).  We play the next three weekends, we are dark the last weekend of the month, and then we play again the first weekend in August.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up