Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF  (Read 22550 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:LIKE A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2005, 09:45:09 AM »

TOD: It's all moot to me now -- I flunked my cholesterol test.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jason

« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2005, 09:45:51 AM »

Laura: I just spoke with a customer who lives in your Dale. I'm sorry to say she wasn't nearly as pleasant and friendly as you are.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2005, 09:45:59 AM »

I've been waiting do get a page dance!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2005, 09:51:20 AM »

I got polenta o' nothin'!
And nothin' is polenta for me.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2005, 09:53:47 AM »

And the word of the day is: POLENTA!
Also known as grits.  (Or, quite similar in how they are made, although Southerners are more likely to mix in some cheddar than Parmesan.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2005, 09:56:28 AM »

Me, I much prefer a chicken with it's head cut off.  The head lends nothing to the roasting process.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2005, 10:00:14 AM »

Laura: I just spoke with a customer who lives in your Dale. I'm sorry to say she wasn't nearly as pleasant and friendly as you are.

Hmm. Probably belongs to the community theater to which I no longer have season tickets.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2005, 10:00:39 AM »

Favorite pastries: I too am a big fan of the Beard Papa cream puffs.  I often find cream puffs to be a big disapointment- they look so good, but then either the cream is tasteless and/or the the pastry itself is unremarkable.  Beard Papa has neither of those problems.  The chocolate ones are amazing.

I am also a fan of chocolate croissants and boston creme donuts from dunkin' donuts...anyone notice that chocolate is a recurring theme here?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 12:09:26 PM by TPunk »

Jason

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2005, 10:01:18 AM »

Mmm...cheesy grits. I loves 'em!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2005, 10:02:32 AM »

I read an article about J. K. Rowling (author of the Harry Potter books) somewhere on the Internet earlier today which said that she's richer than the Queen of England!  Who'da thunk it??
(Spoken in a highly stentorian, John Houseman tone): The Queen of England made her money the old fashioned way...she inHerited it!

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2005, 10:07:01 AM »

Chocolate IS good, TPunk!

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2005, 10:08:31 AM »

DearReaderLaura, how can you tolerate that heat year after year???

It occasionally will get into the 100s here in Salem, but thankfully, only for a few days in the summer.

Jason

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2005, 10:09:20 AM »

What is this Beard Papa cream puff that everyone is going on about? Is it a New York thing? Jose...when you get back up here, I think you need to introduce me to these things.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2005, 10:10:15 AM »

DRHisaka, it's actually a rather graphic description.  when my family used to visit my Father's mother in Appalachia, she'd go out to the yard where her chickens were wandering around pecking the gound for food; she'd chase one down, wring its neck until she could pull off the head, and the headless bird in its death throes would wander aimlessly about the yard till it fell over.   She'd do the same to two or three other birds and that's how we had fried chicken for dinner
Preferably plucked and gutted, I hope!   :-\

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2005, 10:14:10 AM »

Watching "The High and the Mighty" last night, I found it interesting to hear one of the characters use the phrase "....and get a load of this..."

It reminded me that I had heard this phrase most of my life until probably the last 20 years....

...But what would younger folks today make of "...get a load of this..."???

I'll ask some of the baggers at work when I get a chance.  They're mostly around fifteen/sixteen, and a good resource for information.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2005, 10:24:03 AM »

What is this Beard Papa cream puff that everyone is going on about? Is it a New York thing? Jose...when you get back up here, I think you need to introduce me to these things.
Here is a link to the Beard Papa website http://www.muginohousa.com/

They go into great detail about the making of the vanilla custard- yum!

Jason

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2005, 10:35:45 AM »

Wow - those sound fantastic. I especially liked this part, though:

"You may discover tiny black grains in our custard cream. While tasteless, it is those black grains that create the special aroma."

Don't worry about those tiny black grains...we have an ant problem. They do have a bit of an odor, but at least they're tasteless!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2005, 10:56:52 AM »

Here is a link to the Beard Papa website http://www.muginohousa.com/

They go into great detail about the making of the vanilla custard- yum!

Have you ever been to "La Farine" in Oakland (near Berkeley) on College Avenue?

Their pastries are TO DIE FOR.  The morning buns are heaven, but their "chocolatines" are out of this world!

http://www.lafarine.com/

« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 11:01:57 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2005, 10:57:00 AM »

Well, first you pluck it, silly boy!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2005, 10:57:37 AM »

Oh, I see you knew that.  Never mind.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2005, 10:57:46 AM »

Thanks, Jason-- now I want a Krispy Kreme. And chocolate croissants. I'm drooling now.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2005, 11:01:15 AM »

Actually, much as I thought it was funny to watch headless chickens tapdance across the lawn, I thought the plucking and gutting was terrifying.  On my one and only hunting trek, I watched my father gut a rabbit, and that was the end of of that adventure.  I remember one year on my mother's sister's farm, my father and Uncle Harold castrated hundreds of piglets.  That was not a good day, either.

Reminds one of the excesses of the French Revolution.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 11:02:17 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2005, 11:03:50 AM »

DRDan(theMan), I tried to send you a PM; your box is full.  I tried to email you and got bounced.  I wearing my welcome out everywhere!

Back to work.

Jason

« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2005, 11:04:50 AM »

Mmmmm....Krispy Kremes. You know, for this being one of the largest metropolitan, cosmopolitan areas in the world, I think it's a crime that there are only two Krispy Kreme stores in this city (that I'm aware of, anyway) and they're 55 blocks apart from one another! The one on 72nd Street is quite enjoyable - you can watch them making the donuts - whereas the one in Chelsea is cramped and doesn't have much of a selection. There again, I guess Chelsea boys don't really eat donuts. They smoke cigarettes and eat bark. And that, my friends, is why I am not a Chelsea boy (among other reasons that we won't go into here...)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2005, 11:05:42 AM »

Which makes me wonder...does a castrati's voice necessarily sound like that of an angel, or do some of them sound like squealing pigs?

:o

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2005, 11:11:18 AM »

GUY HAINES WAS IN MY MAILBOX TODAY!!!

I shall listen momentarily.

There is also a NEW GUY IN TOWN order page on Amazon, and we can post reviews after the posted release date of July 21, I assume.  

At the risk of being called accolytes, however.

DR RLP -  Get a load of this, The High and the Mighty also included the wonderful phrase: "Dumb bunny - that's a phrase describing mentally retarded American girls like me" - said by the ONE stewardess on the plane.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2005, 11:12:14 AM »

My grandmother also used to wring a chicken's neck by grabbing it around the throat and swinging it over her head.

No wonder I turned out the way I did, after seeing  THAT!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2005, 11:12:35 AM »

Which makes me wonder...does a castrati's voice necessarily sound like that of an angel, or do some of them sound like squealing pigs?

:o

Only when they're "becoming" castrati.   ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2005, 11:12:52 AM »

I think DR HISAKA posted the loveliest picture EVER!  Wow - that looks like Death by Chocolate!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2005, 11:13:30 AM »

Mmmmm....Krispy Kremes. You know, for this being one of the largest metropolitan, cosmopolitan areas in the world, I think it's a crime that there are only two Krispy Kreme stores in this city (that I'm aware of, anyway) and they're 55 blocks apart from one another!...
There are more stores than two in NYC.  I counted five, using KK's locator.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up