Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: IT'S A GAS  (Read 4786 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: IT'S A GAS
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2023, 06:49:31 AM »

DR singdaw it would be easier for you to get into GREASE than it would be for you to buy a ticket to see it.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2023, 06:50:08 AM »

Page Three - Greased Lightnin' dance.

And remember when the lyrics repeat - you repeat the same steps.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2023, 06:51:13 AM »

And when Sandy sings "Hopelessly Devoted To You", be sure to watch the ballet dancer doing her interpretive movements behind her.

Movie songs cost EXTRA to add to the show....thank you very much.

ChasSmith

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2023, 07:01:47 AM »

Good morning, all.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2023, 07:02:35 AM »

TOD:

Always loved him as Luke McCoy on "The Real McCoys"
"The Sand Pebbles"
"Wait Until Dark"
"Star!"
TV movie: "The Rape of Richard Beck"  (He won an Emmy as lead actor in a special)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ChasSmith

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2023, 07:04:08 AM »

It's supposed to rain some today, off and on, and I really need it to start soon - if it would be so kind - so as to ease, and ultimately dispel, any vestiges of guilt from not choosing to do outdoors work today. Happy to get back to that tomorrow, but I want to accomplish indoor stuff today.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2023, 07:05:01 AM »

Decent night's sleep.  Dreams of no consequence (since I have no memory).

Thunderstorms began in the wee hours of the morning and continued until about 7 a.m.

Didn't mind one bit, although frequent loud claps woke me.

It's now mostly sunny, but muggy.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2023, 07:06:25 AM »

Coffee has been drunk.  I cleaned my Keurig last night.  Took all evening, too. 

Couldn't tell any difference this morning, though. Oh, well.

I took trash out by the street for pickup (around noon).

ChasSmith

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2023, 07:09:20 AM »

TOD

I grew up only knowing him on The Real McCoys, and I know that's all I remembered him from when I saw Wait Until Dark. I didn't see The Sand Pebbles until years later, and never in a theeder. And you can throw things at me if you wish, but I have yet to see Star!

ChasSmith

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2023, 07:10:27 AM »

Vixmom:  AVERT YOUR EYES.

Spider dream last night.

Fortunately, not a bad one. This is probably a first, but in this one I had a can of RAID at the ready, and they were mostly little ones anyway who accepted their fate without putting up a fight.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2023, 07:11:56 AM »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2023, 07:14:27 AM »

I have no idea where today will take me.

Hopefully, I will do no harm to myself or anyone else.

Hopefully, I will fear no evil.

Hopefully, I will have some good food to eat.

Hopefully, all of you will do the same!!

ChasSmith

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2023, 07:24:07 AM »

Having never lived in a house in California (except for one brief time in between other places), I have no idea how to picture the kind of gas valve BK tells about. Maybe it isn't even exclusive to that locale, but I'm still unfamiliar with it. I have propane tanks right next to the house and I know where their valves are, but we don't have any natural gas lines running through my area.

I'm just wondering why such a thing would be in a place where a vehicle could contact it in any way.

ChasSmith

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2023, 07:26:12 AM »

I never knew about Air Patrol.

I must seek it out forthwith. And posthaste.

ChasSmith

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2023, 07:50:10 AM »

I watched an L.A. movie last night:  Welcome to L.A.

I've been really screwed up about this one. Meaning: All along I hadn't been sure whether I'd ever seen it. It was released in 1976, but apparently not in the U.S. till early 1977. In hearing about its release on Blu-ray a few years ago I had this vague feeling that it had been more like 1971. Don't know why I had that idea. Next, I'd been thinking all along that it was a Robert Altman film. It is, but he produced it and Alan Rudolph directed it. But Rudolph had a strong connection with Altman, as did of course a couple of the cast. Anyhoo, I think I spot-checked the disc and put it away for another day. That was easily a couple of years ago. Finally, something made me think of it, and it was time to give it a spin.

Most interesting. I watched it straight through, even though I wasn't 100% into its goings on, but I had to figure out whether I had indeed ever seen it, and I had to finally have familiarity with it regardless. Believe it or not, I'm still not entirely certain that I *didn't* go to see it in 1977. If I did, it sure didn't stick with me. So that will have to remain a mystery. But great fun revisiting the still young Sissy Spacek, Geraldine Chaplin, and Keith Carradine. Whenever I see one of his films, I always find it jarring to associate that with having seen him on stage in the Encores! Paint Your Wagon. And it's still an "Altman film" to me, even though not quite.

I really wished this one had had more L.A. locations. We get some Century City from a distance, but we sure could have used a lot more. Anyway, a strange return (?) to a film that is certainly "of its time".

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2023, 07:59:14 AM »

I want to see Maury Dexter's 1960 film THE HIGH POWERED RIFLE starring Miss Allison Hayes - but it seems to be a lost film.  When former DR MBARNUM interviewed Maury years ago, he said he himself had only seen it once and he didn't know anyone who had a copy.....

I spent time looking for this movie by title online and now a dept of homeland security agent would like to meet with me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2023, 08:00:07 AM »

I did have one bit of good news: Indiana University's second payment landed in my account this morning. Now I can buy a new computer.

That some very good news, Larry!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2023, 08:00:55 AM »

Was Jon Bon Jovi actually a Golden Girl all this time?

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2023, 08:01:48 AM »

I finally watched Prime Cut last week. I think I posted that I had specifically not gone to see it. As it turns out, I did recognize the opening sequence, and one or two other scenes looked vaguely familiar. But the story itself was basically new to me, so I must have half-heartedly caught it on TV or something at some point.

So here's a question:  How many films have had a scene with attempted murder by a harvester? Either I was clearly remembering this scene from a past viewing, or it's been done by others as well. And if so, which movie was first to use it?

George

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2023, 08:02:08 AM »

No posts yet, but Seth Christenfeld posted the program cover.

Very nice.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2023, 08:05:29 AM »

DR RODZINSKI this is a typical result of that particular search.

ChasSmith

« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2023, 08:07:31 AM »

It's so wonderful having these evenings in which to watch movies again. This is the free-est (how do you write that?) I've been for such leisurely activities since January. But going farther back than that, it's been since last July when we began rehearsing Carrie. The last two shows of the year took nearly five months out of me, likewise February through May of this year.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2023, 08:08:52 AM »

DR John your photos are beautiful.   I want to go there.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2023, 08:10:31 AM »

Thanks for the vibes George.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2023, 08:13:05 AM »

But then the most amazing thing of all - I sat with my mouth on the floor. At the end, the bad guy is driving north on the 101 freeway. First of all, it's amazing how EMPTY LA was back then - tons of still unused lots. Anyway, he's being followed by the Air Patrol's helicopter. The shots from the car are moving just a bit too fast to read the exit signs, but then they definitely pass Laurel Canyon Blvd, my old off-ramp. And then - wait for it - he gets off at MY off-ramp - Woodman Ave. You can see the one store that was there (the May Company) where the Westfield Mall is now. He turns left, which is what I do. He passes what is now our local car wash - empty lot. He turns on the first street, Valleyheart, which runs along the Valley wash - all houses on the left rather than the ugly apartment buildings. He passes - wait for it - MY street. I was so hoping he'd turn and we could see the 1962 version of my street but he goes straight, to Hazeltine and then past Hazeltine and past my FIRST house on Valleyheart and Calhoun. I don't think you could see it but I'll rerun that bit. He ends up at the Sepulveda Dam. Just incredible. Plus, while most of the actors are just barely okay, I've always been a fan of Merry Anders, the leading lady.

Fun :)

Jane

« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2023, 08:14:37 AM »

I would have liked to have moved to L.A. when it was less crowded.
I moved there in 1976, and the freeways were not fun.
I did love driving around Sunset Blvd…enjoyed the billboards.

By then we were desperate to get out, and did so two years later.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2023, 08:14:56 AM »

~~~ULTRA TREATMENT VIBES~~~ for DH Keith as he begins his health journey today.

Thank you.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2023, 08:17:53 AM »

I was just waking up for school on the East Coast, with my trusty transistor radio by my side.
Heard the news, and woke up my parents.

I was watching his speech.  After he was shot I immediately called Keith as he had gone home instead of watching with me at my apartment.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2023, 08:19:17 AM »

Jane

« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2023, 08:20:36 AM »

I want to see Maury Dexter's 1960 film THE HIGH POWERED RIFLE starring Miss Allison Hayes - but it seems to be a lost film.  When former DR MBARNUM interviewed Maury years ago, he said he himself had only seen it once and he didn't know anyone who had a copy.....

I spent time looking for this movie by title online and now a dept of homeland security agent would like to meet with me.

;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up