Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IF I KNEW YOU WERE COMING I'D HAVE BAKED A TAPE  (Read 28054 times)

Jason

Re:IF I KNEW YOU WERE COMING I'D HAVE BAKED A TAPE
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2005, 07:35:34 AM »

My first guess would be MOVIN' OUT. Second guess: FIDDLER ON THE ROOF.

Jason

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2005, 07:37:53 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 07:38:49 AM by Jason »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2005, 07:40:14 AM »

Good Morning!

What a beautiful morning!

-And to think that 82 degrees actually feels "cool"?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2005, 07:40:27 AM »

Jason, I second your guesses.

Jose, just wink if we are right.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2005, 07:47:56 AM »

King's Island was my first as well. The way I'd describe it is it was like walking inside a television set with all your favorite cartoon characters in there. It was Hanna-Barbera Heaven. The Banana Splits were there, Fred Flintstone, the Hair Bears, Huckleberry Hound. There actually was a ride that was a giant TV set that you rode in on a boat and there were Gulliver and the Little People and Yogi Bear and numerous other animtronic characters in there.

On the scary side, there was a train ride that got robbed while I was on it by an outlaw with a gun, which freaked me out. Of course my dad played along to make it even more scary.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2005, 07:48:41 AM »

Like the new avatar, DR Jose. You put it up last night after I went to bed, so it was a great surprise this morning when catching up on last night's posts.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2005, 07:51:28 AM »

First amusement part for me was the Pavillion at Ocean Drive Beach in South Carolina. A much smaller and less famous beach than Myrtle Beach, but our cousins had a house there, and that's where we went for many years for a week each summer.

Anyway, they had a much smaller amusement park than Myrtle Beach did, but they had Tilt-a-Whirl and Scrambler and a ferris wheel, all of which I loved and rode constantly. I must have been 6 or 7 at the time of my earliest memories. I also loved their arcade where I used to play this baseball oriented-pinball machine all the time. Good times.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 07:57:03 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2005, 07:52:13 AM »

Yes, it's much cooler today here, too. And we're on a downward trajectory for the rest of the week. By Sunday, it's supposed to barely get into the 80s. Quite a change from the last week.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2005, 07:53:03 AM »

I have definitely decided on CALL NORTHSIDE 777 for my DVD movie today.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2005, 07:54:06 AM »

DR George, how did you like RENO 911! this week?

And did you know the actress playing Trudy Weigel is pregnant in real life. Supposedly she's pretty far along, but they've done such a good job hiding it that I didn't even notice. A friend told me this morning that's she's due in August.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2005, 07:54:37 AM »

As for amusement parks...  I think the first one I ever went to was Disneyland.  We stopped there for a day en route to San Diego during one of the family visits from Seattle.  They still had the whole lettered-ticket system, and I can sort of still remember the look on my parents' faces each time we asked to go on another ride.  I'm not exactly sure what that look was, but it was a look - as they held the little ticket/punchcard.  -Was it a ticket/punchcard?

I remember the Pirates of the Caribbean and It's A Small World... And Thunder Mountain Railroad...  BUT, I did not ride the Teacups.

Otherwise, when we lived in Ledyard, CT, we frequently would go to those travelling midway parks.  Sometimes they would just travel from one county to the next, basically down the road, and we would end up "following" them.  -And I seemed to have a knack for winning free passes to them via radio call-in contests - WRNL in New London!

...And it would always take me a bit of time to get out of the Fun House.  But my favorite "effect" was the Haunted House ride.  There was that first pass through the dark tunnel, and you would feel furry fingers grazing your head.  A very simple effect, but very effective.  At least to a nine year old.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2005, 07:55:05 AM »

It's 84 outside right now, but that's still quite a bit cooler than this time yesterday.

Jason

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2005, 07:55:37 AM »

Rodzinski: I remember that boat ride! When I was there, though, it was a Smurf thing. All things Smurf. And it was also a Scooby-Doo ride at one time. I think it's defunct now.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2005, 07:55:56 AM »

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2005, 07:56:11 AM »

I believe that my first amusement type park was Happy Hollow in San Jose.  I remember riding in the train and a petting zoo.

I also remember a particularly assertive goat chasing around my younger sister, attempting to devour her dress.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2005, 07:57:37 AM »

Well.. I have to hang out here for a little while waiting for some contract stuff to arrive via FedEx... So...DR elmore... I'm not sure when I'll be able to make it over to help you out with Golden Apple stuff.

Hmmm... I guess I could get a head start on packing... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2005, 07:58:43 AM »

It's funny. We have Paramount Carowinds just over the SC line, about 15 miles from my house. It's a BIG theme park with lots of rides and live entertainment, and I haven't been there in over 20 years. Amazing that something like that is so close, and I don't ever go,

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2005, 08:00:06 AM »

We spent a week in Orlando a few years ago, but we did all of the Disney theme parks during that week and never went to Universal Orlando.

So, the next time I go to Orlando, I must give a couple of days over to Universal.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2005, 08:02:37 AM »

All these theme parks and resorts now are so sophisticated. I'm old enough to remember the old county fairs fondly that had a few rides, some sideshows, and lots of things like agricultural exhibits and baking contests and the like.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2005, 08:03:06 AM »

I also remember a particularly assertive goat chasing around my younger sister, attempting to devour her dress.

OHH!!!!

That's one of my vivid memories from my first trip to Busch Gardens Williamsburg - The Old Country.  They had this petting zoo.  They had this candy machine of sorts set up so that you could buy handfuls of kibble by the quarter.  Well, the goats were always on the lookout for free food!  However, I remember one of them started to chew on my shirt... then it started to chew on the water gun I had just bought...  I remember trying to get away from it...  And I was very sad (crying) that I had lost my water gun...  However, my Dad eventually shooed the goat away... and got my water gun back - which was still in it's wrapper, but the goat had chewed up the paper "hang tag".

Needless to say, I had no interest in the petting zoo after that experience.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2005, 08:08:32 AM »

BK, I see that the original running time for WHITE NIGHTS was 107 minutes but that TV versions now run 94 minutes. Is the Criterion version the complete original release version or has that one been lost to time?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2005, 08:09:03 AM »

We spent a week in Orlando a few years ago, but we did all of the Disney theme parks during that week and never went to Universal Orlando.

So, the next time I go to Orlando, I must give a couple of days over to Universal.

DR MattH - If you do make it back to Orlando.... You will only need a day to make it through Universal Studios Orlando.  Possibly two, but if you get up early and get there when the park opens...  It's a lot smaller than the commercials make it out to be.  It's mainly rides down there, and since there's no working moving studio attached to it - like there is in LA - people mainly go there for the rides.  However, the City Walk area is very nice.  Some decent restaurants, and the pricing is very "locals friendly" - not marked up too much, if at all.  But, again, the park itself is really not that big - especially in comparison to Disneyworld.

And the last time I was there, I found it sort of strange that the park closed at 7:00pm.  ???

And I highly recommend the branch of Emeril's down there.  However, stay away from his Asian-fusion place at the adjoining resort.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2005, 08:09:53 AM »

Greetings from Cleveland!  I arrived here in good time, the computers are not busy here at the Foundation Center, and my meeting doesn't start for half an hour.

DR Jose - congratulations on the Williamstown job and compliments on your new avatar!

DR Ben - I did see your post from last night and will convey your greetings to Cindy; we have an appointment this afternoon to go over plans for a presentation we're giving together in November.

TOD - Boblo Island, downriver from Detroit.  You boarded a delightful riverboat at the foot of Woodward in Detroit and cruised to the island for a day of fun.  Or, you could take a "Moonlight Cruise," which was just the boat ride down and back - no amusement park.  Boblo is no more, I understand, but those of you who've mentioned Kings Island will be glad to know that the one near Cincinnati is thriving and has just announced that they're bringing back Winterfest after several years of not doing that.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2005, 08:11:01 AM »

I think I had heard that it became Smurfs after awhile. Or maybe I heard Pac-Man too. At the time I went to the park, it was the pre-Smurf mid '70s.

Other memorable Kings Island rides:
Instead of tea cups, you could ride in big beer kegs in a pseudo-Bavarian section of the park.
There were giant wooden shoes you could "fly" around in
A giant roulette wheel you could ride on
The Racer, which I was too little to ride
A log flume
A Safari of some sort

Jose, did you ever go to Kings Island's sister park KINGS DOMINION in Virginia? I went there once when I was little and I remember "Yogi Bear's House" which was supposedly built by Yogi and had weird slanted floors and caves and such.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2005, 08:11:40 AM »

Yes, Visconti's filmography is not a succession of masterpieces, but he certainly did do some awesome films. Have you said before that THE LEOPARD is your favorite of his or ROCCO & HIS BROTHERS? I can't remember.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2005, 08:14:15 AM »

Thanks for the tips, DR Jose. We stayed at the Holiday Inn that's very close to Universal when we were there last time, and I'm thinking that one of those days that we went to the Magic Kingdom could have been given over to Universal.

However, I think the plan was that we WOULD go back just for Universal at some future date, but that was four years ago, and we haven't made it back yet.

Jason

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2005, 08:15:08 AM »

Rodzinski: I think it was the Bavarian Beer Barrels in which I vomited.

And who could forget King's Island's "scale" reproduction of the Eiffel Tower?

I just looked at pictures of their new looping wooden coaster, the Son of the Beast. WOW! I wanna ride that! The Beast is a great, great, great coaster, too. Maybe I'll go to King's Island when I go home in August...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 08:18:00 AM by Jason »

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2005, 08:15:45 AM »

BTW, I haven't seen WHITE NIGHTS, but being such a fan of Jean Marais, I must put it on my must-see list.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2005, 08:16:42 AM »

Matt H-
County Fairs are still alive and well. TPunk and I have been lucky to find different ones the last couple years. We were mesmerized by the goat judging at the Ulster County Fair upstate last year.

And we went to a fair in Pennsylvania the year before. I am hungry for funnel cake just thinking about it.

Ginny

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2005, 08:18:24 AM »

And who could forget King's Island's "scale" reproduction of the Eiffel Tower?....Maybe I'll go to King's Island when I go home in August...

DR Jason - for Winterfest they'll turn that Eiffel Tower into a giant Christmas tree.  Is "home" close to Cincinnati?  Maybe we could meet for coffee or Graeter's ice cream or something.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up