Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IF I KNEW YOU WERE COMING I'D HAVE BAKED A TAPE  (Read 27026 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
IF I KNEW YOU WERE COMING I'D HAVE BAKED A TAPE
« on: July 28, 2005, 12:04:14 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've baked the notes, the notes have baked you, and now it is time for you to post until the half-baked cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 12:06:40 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:IF I KNEW YOU WERE COMING I'D HAVE BAKED A TAPE
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 12:07:41 AM »

And the word of the day is: TONNEAU!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 12:09:49 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 12:12:20 AM »

First Amusement Park: Melbourne's Luna Park. It's still around and about to have a major revamp. I remember the "Big Dipper" and "The Scenic Railway". There were also River Caves (sort of a Tunnel Of Love) and of course a Ghost Train.  I think I used to enjoy the Penny Arcade area most - just to get the fortune telling cards etc from the machines.
I've never really liked the "thrill rides".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 12:16:27 AM »

I used to drive a small tray truck (useful on our small semirural property) and always planned to buy a tonneau for the back to protect the tray contents and to reduce wind resistance (and save fuel). I didn't ever get around to the purchase.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 12:20:51 AM »

I don't really remember the first amusement park(s) that I went to.  I vaguely remember some that my family went to when we lived in Germany, but that was when I was 4-6 years old, so my memory's quite faulty.  Anyway, the only other amusement park that I can specifically remember going to is Disneyland.  I've never been to Disneyworld or any of the Six Flags or Knott's Berry Farm (which I used to think was "Knotsberry Farm" ;)).  That's it, really.  I guess I've been deprived. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 12:25:24 AM »

And now for something completely different:

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Harlequin Productions' website.  They're a local semi-professional theater company where, for several years, I played the character of Sidney in their annual "Stardust" shows...book musicals that they've written, set at the fictional Stardust Club during Christmastime and each show was set in a different year in the 1940s.  For the most part, they've used actual 1940s music.

Anyway, at their website under "about us" and then "history," I found this picture of ME!  It's a point in one of the Stardust shows when I entered in full Carmen Miranda drag in an attempt to distract some gangsters from taking over the club.  It's a small picture, but you can tell it's me.  I forget which season the show came from, but it wasn't the 1993-94 season where the picture links to.  They didn't do a Stardust show that year.  Here it is!  The two women behind me are Linda Morris (on the left...and she now works at Ashland's Shakespeare Festival!) and Jana Tyrrell. ;D:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 12:28:30 AM »

I know this site is fig friendly. No wonder you have fruit DR George. And it's Goodnight from OZ...
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 12:33:14 AM »

And it's Goodnight from him! (a "Two Ronnies" reference!)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 02:06:24 AM »

Nice new avatar, DR JOSE!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 02:08:56 AM »

Le Notti Bianche!!!
Visconti!!!
That's my favorite one from his adorable films.
He made a beautiful fictional world with Fog, Rain and Snow in it!

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 02:59:12 AM »

Good morning DR Elmore.  I'll catch up with OzDerek tomorrow for lunch and will pass on all the sundried wishes and greetings. He is becoming more tired every day it seems.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 03:21:59 AM »

Good morning, DRTomovoz!  I got a dirty joke from DROzderek in my email yesterday and I was hoping that meant he was doing better.  Please send him my best wishes.

Well, I officially finished DARLING OF THE DAY yesterday evening.  The BIG NUMBER totaled 82 pages of scoring and came to 328 measures.  After finishing it, I had to score the two smaller pieces that used the music.  At least it's all gong to the copyist now, and I can devote full time for the next week to finishing THE GOLDEN APPLE.

On a note of regret yesterday (A), I had to turn down a job I would have killed for:  Patrick Vaccariello asked me to do a new musical about Kinsey, DOCTOR SEX, which goes into rehearsals next month.  Since I'm booked with THE GOLDEN APPLE and the Chicago Humanities Festival, I had to turn him down.  I recommended my friend Larry Hochman, and I'm still kicking myself for saying no.

DRJose, I'm glad you said yes.  In 1973, when I was working at the Jacobs Pillow Dance Festival, I saw every production at Williamstown that season.  Except for a dud new musical, NOBODY'S EARNEST, it was the best theatre I've ever seen, including such excellent unknowns as David Dukes, John Glover, John Lithgow, and actors whose reputations I'd known but not seen like Olympia Dukakis.  Orton's WHAT THE BUTLER SAW is one of my favorite plays, and the only really good production I've ever seen (out of about 6 or 7) was at Williamstown that summer.  Also, my friend Curtis is a really wonderful writer and mensch.  He's got the most wonderful musical floating around waiting for option called FOR THE LOVE OF TIFFANY.

By the way, DRJose, the new avatar is great, although I miss the Amelia Earhart glamour of the other.

And now off to copy some scores.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 03:58:50 AM »

Moew Best Wishes to DR OZDEREK!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 04:01:51 AM »

We had an earthquake which registered 3 (on the Japanese scale) five minutes ago in Tokyo and its surrounding area and,  we have, at least, one earthquake registered 3 or 4 (not big but not small) a day somewhere in Japan these days.  I spend a little uneasy days  :-\

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 04:39:12 AM »

My first surprising experience was happened in a “haunted house” , when I was seven years old. There’re many horrible spooks in the house, especially for children, but the most surprising device for me was a SOFT SPONGE, which was put under the floor in a very small special area. I mean, when I stepped on the sponge floor… I can’t explain right in English. :-\ Just imagine the moment you step on a Tofu, instead of a floor you thought it’s hard. :o

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 05:39:42 AM »

Bake a tape?  Who would have thought such a thing possible, let alone necessary?

DR HISAKA your explanation of the sponge floor does sound very scary!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 05:42:36 AM »

We ran the first act of PIPPIN last night.  First act, you say....PIPPIN is NOT a two act play!  Well in the revised version sent to us, it can be....and so at the Putnam County Playhouse IT IS!

Didn't look as bad as I thought it would - but the dances certainly need some smoothing out.  And that horrible look a performer gets in his/her eyes when the next step is forgotten and the music goes on was seen a few times.  I moved around in the audience just to see the people searching for me.  A few extra sessions with particular people will be helpful and necessary and have already been scheduled.

I like PIPPIN more than I thought I would.  This is the first production of it I have ever worked on, and it is certainly challenging to me as a choreographer.  Much more so than, say, SOUTH PACIFIC!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 05:48:14 AM »

MR BK, I asked if you were going to be seeing Mr Tony Walton, because a young lady in PIPPIN is a great fan of his.

She is a senior at Cloverdale Indiana High School.  And I heard her talking about him with another Player.  She has several souvenir books with his designs.  She bought these on EBAY.  She plans to major in art and design at university.

ANYWAY - I mentioned HHW and that I knew you, MR BK, and that you were a friend of Mr Tony Walton's and she was stunned.  She then asked if perhaps she might get Mr Walton's signature.  I told her I would ask.

I will email her name & you could send it to me, if it is possible.  Thanks!

And that is all for now.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 05:50:18 AM »

Riverside Amusement Park.

No longer open in Indianapolis.

The RACER roller coaster was my first experience with such a ride.  It scared me more than anything in my life!  I was about 8 years old.  I didn't ride coaster again for 20 years!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 05:50:53 AM »

Oh, I also ate a hot dog which wasn't so good.  And I saw three nuns in short habits riding the Tilt-a-Whirl!

Kerry

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 05:57:40 AM »

The first amusement park I went to when I was a wee sprig of a twig of a tad of a lad was Pacific Ocean Park (good old P.O.P.) of Benjamin Kritzer fame.  I rode the roller coaster (my sister was afraid to).  I also rode the sky tram (or whatever is was called) that went out over the ocean.  I remmber it vividly and thought I could see the whole country (including my grandmother's house in Phoenix--some view from the Pacific Ocean).

We also went to Knott's Berry Farm, which was still a berry farm with an "Old West" town (goldmining, etc.)
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2005, 06:00:28 AM »

I actually just heard Eileen Barton singing about baking.  I'm sure she'd be baking a tape with today's technology and low-carb awareness. We settled for cake, however.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2005, 06:04:14 AM »

Anyway, at their website under "about us" and then "history," I found this picture of ME!  

DR George--will you use it as a new avatar?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2005, 06:07:01 AM »

There were not many "amusement" parks in Minnesota when I was growing up. I have vague memories of going to Excelsior (which no longer exists), We also went to Paul Bunyan Amusement Park in Bemidji (IIRC). Now they have Valley Fair and Knotts Camp Snoopy at the Mall of America.

I remember going to the Midway at the Minnesota State Fair as a kid. We ate hot dogs and cotton candy and popcorn and candy and toffee apples until our little tummies felt like they would burst. My favorite ride was the Tilt-a-Whirl. I am not a fan of Roller Coasters.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2005, 06:22:11 AM »

DRGEORGE - your photo of course reminds me of the I Love Lucy episode in which Lucy Ricardo dressed up as Carmen and mimed one of her records - with disastrous results....or maybe Jerry Lewis in Scared Stiff!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2005, 06:47:50 AM »

How do you know when a baked tape is done?

TOD:  My first amusement park was Clementon Lake Park in Clementon, NJ.  My mom and dad took us there a couple of times every year as far back as I can remember.  Early on, my favorite rides were the Cup and Saucer, the Merry-Go-Round and the Cannonball Express train ride.  WHen I got older and a little more daring, I would ride the Jack Rabbit wooden rollercoaster, the Whip and the Tilt-A-Whirl.  I also liked the Mirror Maze (the path of which I had memorized down pat) and the Whacky Shack (with it's Tilted Room and the Magic Carpet ride--you sat on this decrepit sofa which would collapse onto a wide industrial conveyor belt that would carry you down a slope to the floor below.  There is no way they would allow that kind of ride today.)

The only thing that I would not go on was the Salt And Pepper Shaker.  Not just because it was the scariest ride in the park, but also because a former version of the ride had once broke and killed all of its riders.  Now I have no idea whether this was true or not--you have to wonder why the park owners would call the new ride by the same name after such a tragedy--but the legend carried a lot of weight when I was a kid.

Also, Clementon Lake Park made the only cotton candy that I liked.  I doubt that it was any different from anyplace else, but it was the only cotton candy that I would eat.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2005, 07:09:12 AM »

The first amusement park I went to was in England. I don't remember the name, but I didn't ride any of the rides - I was afraid. I was only 6!

The first American amusement park I went to was (Paramount's) King's Island in Cincinnati, OH. Yes, the Brady's King's Island. I can't tell you how many times I ran around that park, retracing the steps of *the* Marcia Brady.

Anyway, my friend, Brian, convinced me to ride the Racer - one of those huge wooden coasters with two tracks: one backwards and one forwards. We got to the top of the hill and I decided I did NOT want to finish that ride, but it was a little too late, so I distinctly recall holding onto the safety bar for dear life through the whole ride. I didn't even scream for fear of tossing my cookies, which I eventually did on the Spinning Barrels ride.

Since then, though, I've been an avid fan of roller coasters and I'm desperate for someone to go with me to Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey to ride the coasters. Any takers?

My First Roller Coaster:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 07:24:50 AM by Jason »

Jason

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2005, 07:26:13 AM »

The entire New York compendium of Hainesies are here...and nobody's talkin'.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2005, 07:29:50 AM »

Jose, yesterday you mentioned that a sort of long running show was going to announce its closing soon... can we make guesses?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up