Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DAYS OF WANE AND ROSES  (Read 18819 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:DAYS OF WANE AND ROSES
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2005, 02:05:29 PM »

And Fox is doing an ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT marathon tonight with four episodes back-to-back in an attempt to increase this award-winning comedy's core audience. It also starts at 8 p.m. EDT.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

François de Paris

« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2005, 02:16:45 PM »

As BK recommended once, do NOT watch the Ghibli Studios animated productions the way the Disney Studios release them in the States. They have wall-to-wall music and the dubbing is faulty...
Do watch them in Original Version with the English subtitles; they are masterpieces and the animation is far from cheap; they are done the "old fashioned way" with cells and painted backgrounds.

The stories are far from the old mold too, without the manichaeisms we're so accustomed to. "Good" characters are not totally good, and the "bad" ones are not entirely bad either.

I enjoy Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle In The Sky as much as the Disney vintage masterpieces.

Last June I saw some of the original artwork from the Ghibli Studios productions on display in Paris and that was just out of this world!

Btw, does anyone know why Japanese animation uses a French term, Animé, to qualify that art?

That would translate into "Agitated" here!! LOL!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 02:44:57 PM by François de Paris »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2005, 02:24:23 PM »

DRFrancois, welcome back!  Tell us about your sojourn.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jason

« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2005, 02:24:36 PM »

Salut, Francois! Comment ca va?

François de Paris

« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2005, 02:38:54 PM »

In today's local paper there's a long article on a French singer who's a total unknown here in France but a biggie in Japan.

Her name is Clémentine and I wondered if DR Hisaka has ever... heard her?

She tours Japan twice a year, produces 2 cds twice a year there and lives in Paris the rest of the time!

http://www.francomix.com/article-Clementine___Long_courrier-120.html

and her blog is (in case you... care!)

blog.excite.co.jp/clementine

Interesting no?!?!

François de Paris

« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2005, 02:42:48 PM »

DRFrancois, welcome back!  Tell us about your sojourn.

Oh, DR Larry, I'm so glad you got SWEPT away by Spirited Away!

My sojourn was calm and bland but nice; I mainly stayed home with my mother and WATCHED too much TV, something I never do the rest of the time since i don't have a TV!

It was a nice break from the Parisian fastpaced life!

François de Paris

« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2005, 02:44:07 PM »

Salut, Francois! Comment ca va?

Je vais très bien, merci!

Nice to see you again aboard the HHW Band Wagon!

Back on the... boards??

Tomovoz

« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2005, 02:45:44 PM »

DR Michael Shayne - "Norsica of the Valley Of The Winds" would be my suggestion. Of course if you like to filled with joy you could watch "Graveyard of the Fireflies". lol there.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2005, 02:47:32 PM »

It's good to see you, too, Francois.

And I plan to be back on the boards very soon, God willing. :)

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2005, 02:49:55 PM »

Another welcome back from me, DR Francois! Glad to have you among us again.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2005, 02:50:46 PM »

And now, as is my Friday ritual, time to adjourn to the downstairs and mop the kitchen floor. I'll be back later.

François de Paris

« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2005, 02:53:30 PM »

I did one special visit one day to that castle, or what remains of it, which is located one hour and a half away from my hometown. My third vist over the years in fact!

http://www.t3a.com/LaRocheCourbon/frameEn.htm

François de Paris

« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2005, 02:54:47 PM »

It's good to see you, too, Francois.

And I plan to be back on the boards very soon, God willing. :)

If you see God, tell him He'd better be willing!!

François de Paris

« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2005, 03:01:11 PM »

Another welcome back from me, DR Francois! Glad to have you among us again.

Thanks for the greetings!
Mop the kitchen floor???
One of those activities I could do without for sure, but then there's no one else to do it for me!

AND with the dvd list given today by DR Michael Shayne we're gonna turn into Big Spenders again!

Oh.... forgot to say that I listened again lately to that gorgeous cd of Rodgers and Hart songs by divoone Dawn Upshaw and also SEVENTEEN, an oldie but goodie.

Now, why Dawn Upshaw has stopped singing show tunes is beyond me!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 03:06:04 PM by François de Paris »

Jennifer

« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2005, 03:07:31 PM »

Just a reminder that CBS is showing the pilot to VERONICA MARS tonight followed by another episode of the show, just to introduce folks who haven't already gotten into it about its virtues. It's been pretty much embraced by the entire critical community, so I will tune in to see what all the shouting's about.

And it looks like the second episode is the next episode in line for me. So i will watch too!  Unfortunately our CTV station is playing around with it, and it will now be on sundays at 5pm (instead of thursdays at 8pm). Not happy about that.

DR MattH, I will be curious to see what you think of this show.  It's better once you get into it.

I wish i got UPN. :(

Hopefully my sister who does will tape it for me. She said since it comes on with America's Next Top Model (which she does tape for me),  that she might consider it.

Jason

« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2005, 03:07:40 PM »

Francois: Do you have Ms. Upshaw's "I Wish It So" album? It is too too too diveen.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2005, 03:08:02 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Just checking in before heading out again...

Got some more errands done.  Got my hair cut - I headed down to Chelsea Barbers again (like I did back in March).  Got a very nice cut, and, best of all, I only had a five minute wait before a chair (there are only three of them) became available.  -It's so nice to feel the breeze on my scalp again!

WHHEEEE!!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2005, 03:11:07 PM »

BK, THE POGUES is an Irish Rock Group.  Their full name is POGUE MA HONE...which, in Gaelic, means "Kiss my ass...or arse, as they might say over there.  Yes, "pogue", in Gaelic, means "kiss"!

I knew that DR Charles Pogue would supply information about Shane MacGowan's seminal band before I came back on line.
Well, they are Irish, they are rock, they are a group, but. . .they are also traditional, jazz-influenced, Morricone-influenced and a bar band.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2005, 03:12:14 PM »

RE: Veronica Mars - Kristen Bell - who is Veronica Mars - is another Broadway Baby who has headed West to Hollywood.  She was in the Tom Sawyer on Broadway, and she played Fredrika (sp?) in A Little Night Music during the Kennedy Center's Sondheim Celebration. And she was in the Showtime production of Reefer Madness.  Quite the spitfire - and her ever-youthful looks have served her well.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2005, 03:12:53 PM »

And now I have some more flitting to do...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2005, 03:13:52 PM »

Hello François!
Well, hello François!
It's so nice to have you back where you belong!

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2005, 03:50:47 PM »

Finally, the return of both Francois and myself.

Jane, parking was hardly the problem with POP - the problem was that they let it go to seed, and with all those owners it's not surprising.

What a strange day.  I spent way too much time on the phone dealing with the problem I started dealing with yesterday - it finally got resolved at eleven this morning, although I'm going to double check at four, just to make certain that everyone did what they needed to do to resolve matters.

It's the second time this week when a mistake has been made, and sometimes the incompetence of businesses and government orginazations is just appalling.  

The auction was a bit wacky.  I had two items I wanted to win, and I got one of them, although I had to pay more than the high end estimate, because all the costume sketches in this auction went crazy, mostly from sickening and idiotic dealers on the phone and the Internet.  While it's wonderful for the auction houses and consigners, this phone and Internet crap has taken all the fun out of auctions - there is no way to get a bargain anymore, what with these loonies who don't even know what an auction is, all jumping in and driving prices sky high.  It used to be that you attended an auction, you bid, and you either won or were outbid on the floor.  That was that.  Now any yokel can get in on the act from their own home or phone and it's just ridiculous.  But, I'm happy I won the main item and I still think I got a good deal since it's really two items I won.  What were they, you might be wondering, and I might tell you because why should I withhold such things from you?  They were two original Alvin Colt costume sketches (and gorgeous, detailed works of art they are) for the film of... Li'l Abner - Mammy Yokum's, and one of the Dogpatch wives' costumes from Put 'Em Back The Way They Wuz."  It went four hundred bucks over the estimate, but, as I said, was still not unreasonable.  Take away the phone and Internet wackos and I could have had it for half of what I got it for, because there was only one floor bidder besides myself, and he got out relatively early.

François de Paris

« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2005, 03:54:05 PM »

Francois: Do you have Ms. Upshaw's "I Wish It So" album? It is too too too diveen.

Yes, I do! I believe it's the first cd of hers I ever bought; I have a lot of hers, even the "serious" stuff! She sings with a smile in her voice; as BK said of Liz Callaway's pipes (And I'm quotting BK tonight, right?!) her voice makes me happy.

There's a moving documentary about Miss Upshaw called "The Voice of An Angel" when she was appearing in some Messian work some years ago. (I have to admit that Messian bores me).
She comes across as a vulnerable artist who doubts about her own talent, and is on the verge of tears because she can't get a certain gesture her character has to do.

I love her rendition of "What More Do I Need."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2005, 03:55:21 PM »

The item I lost was Danny Kaye's The Black Fox cowl from The Court Jester.  The estimate was 300-500 bucks, but, again, the Internet and phone wackos (I was the ONLY floor bidder) drove the price up to a whopping 1800 bucks.  How stupid are these people.

Every single costume sketch went way over the estimate except two - which were strange anamolies - a Donna Reed costume sketch from The Far Horizons by Edith Head went for only 200 bucks (a steal), and the creme de la creme sketch, Travilla's original costume sketch for Monroe's Diamond Are A Girl's Best Friend, went for the low end of the estimate, with only two bidders.  Of course, the low end estimate was 8,000 bucks.  There were a whole series of costume sketches from The Ten Commandments, and every one of them tripled their estimates of 300-500 dollars.  Some did even better than that, so I guess I still got a relative bargain with my Li'l Abner paintings.  As soon as I have them I shall photograph them and share them with you.  

François de Paris

« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2005, 04:01:57 PM »

Hello François!
Well, hello François!
It's so nice to have you back where you belong!

;D

"It's so nice to be back home!"

... and I DO remember the steps! Ah!
You haven't changed a bit,  George!

François de Paris

« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2005, 04:57:21 PM »

Oh, my goodness!
I have JUST found that info and... I'm a happy man!

NEWS FLASH!

Anthony Releases New CDs!

Anthony Warlow will release two new recording projects on the Skylark label later this month. The recordings, 'The Snow Goose', a narrated work adapted from Paul Gallico's moving short story features the London Symphony Orchestra.

His second release 'Tenor & Baritone' coincides with his success in Opera Australia's latest productions of 'HMS Pinafore & Trial by Jury'.

Anthony is joined on this musical voyage of Victorian & Edwardian ballads and duets by acclaimed Australian Tenor, David Hobson.

Tomovoz

« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2005, 05:16:20 PM »

Sad.  I need to check with France to find out what is going on in OZ!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2005, 05:37:59 PM »

Chuck and Julieanne Pogue made an album?  I must hear it.

We had our own Dance Ten Looks Three story here a few months ago:

"You're all staring at my this, aren't you?"

That reminds me of auditions the other night for "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" - some woman came in and sang "Dance Ten, Looks Three" complete with the end of the monologue - Now remember the show she's auditioning for, not necessarily a "family" show... but she sang the song as "This and That" instead of the real lyric.  I found it amusing.

Jed

« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2005, 05:52:04 PM »

Will be leaving in about an hour for a family reunion (my other father's family).  Will be nice to see them, as I wasn't able to make last year's reunion due to the wedding of a couple good friends of mine.  My primary hopes for the weekend are that a) it won't be too hot in the greater Packwood/Randle, Washington area (aka The Middle of Nowhere), and b) Ann won't be too traumatized by meeting so many people at once. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2005, 05:53:02 PM »

That reminds me of auditions the other night for "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" - some woman came in and sang "Dance Ten, Looks Three" complete with the end of the monologue - Now remember the show she's auditioning for, not necessarily a "family" show... but she sang the song as "This and That" instead of the real lyric.  I found it amusing.

Perhaps she's a lurker, and sang that purely for your personal amusement.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up