Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SLEUTH  (Read 32911 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SLEUTH
« Reply #210 on: August 07, 2005, 08:32:51 PM »

The only Vangelis score I can even stomach is Blade Runner.  

My goodness, what a unexpectedly busy Sunday night.  I've watched one great movie on DVD, and am now watching a movie that I've never seen all the way through, and which I'm enjoying immensely.

MBarnum

« Reply #211 on: August 07, 2005, 08:33:49 PM »

Last book read was CARE BEARS STORYBOOK TREASURY which I read to little Taylor and little Mykala this weekend at the lake.

Currently reading, for my own enjoyment, Ray Stricklyn's autobiography.

MBarnum

« Reply #212 on: August 07, 2005, 08:34:43 PM »

BK, I very much enjoy the 1960s film version of DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS...on of my favorite films...I wonder if I would enjoy the mini-series?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #213 on: August 07, 2005, 08:35:07 PM »

Thanks, DR Jose, for the information about the SPAMALOT standbys. It's GREAT to know someone who's "in the know" about these folks. I really was greatly impressed with all three because in a madcap dash like SPAMALOT, it's every man (and woman) for himself once the show starts, and they pulled it off wonderfully.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #214 on: August 07, 2005, 08:36:10 PM »

I've heard there's a place in downtown Rehoboth that is serving bacon flavored ice cream.

There are other reasons why we locals avoid downtown during the season, but this could well join them.    :P :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #215 on: August 07, 2005, 08:36:54 PM »

I don't think Phone Booth was a hit.  I think Colin Farrell's biggest problem as far as Hollywood goes is he hasn't proven he can carry a movie yet. Given his track record, I suspect he won't get many more chances. His career here may be doomed to playing second fiddles or small independent film leads.

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: August 07, 2005, 08:40:12 PM »

Our second show was CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG which, I am sorry to say, was DOA. Honestly, within five minutes, I knew we had an uninspired, show-by-the-numbers.

I don't fault the cast. They worked very hard (Marc Kudisch with his teddy bear WAS the show for me), and the physical production was just fine. But the script was joyless, uninteresting, and lacking humor and spark, and the Gillian Lynne choreography was lackluster, drab even in numbers like "Me Ol' Bamboo" which should have stopped the show. Lifeless.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #217 on: August 07, 2005, 08:40:43 PM »

RE: Colin Farrell - I've said it before...  I thoroughly enjoyed his performance in "A Home At the End of the World" last year.  A very nice, "small" movie.  -And he actually played a "virgin" rather convincingly too!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #218 on: August 07, 2005, 08:42:19 PM »

I almost missed seeing Merman, and it would have been my own stupidity, but my mother insisted.  At ten years old, i only knew of Merman as the mother in IT'S A MAD MAD etc. WORLD.  My mom surprised us with tickets to HELLO DOLLY, and I was saying stuff like why do we have to take an hour's train trip into Manhattan when we can see the movie right in our neighborhood.  My mother insisted, and needless to say, I never argued with Mom again, at least on choice of entertainment.  

DR Jason:  Does that mean the interview with Harvey was on tape, and they opted not to cut out that part for the rebroadcast?  Just wondering.

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: August 07, 2005, 08:45:20 PM »

I haven't seen A HOME AT THE END OF THE WORLD yet, but I plan to very soon. I have heard some pretty nice things about it.

Farrell was also just fine in THE RECRUIT and S.W.A.T. But he wasn't the top billed star in either of those action films, and that's probably best for him. Again, his very convincing American accent was superb in those movies.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #220 on: August 07, 2005, 08:45:58 PM »

Hmmm... For the past hour, I've been previewing this Yoga DVD I bought a few weeks ago.  -I just need a good, easy stretching routine.  There's and A.M. and a P.M. workout.  The A.M. workout seems very doable.  The P.M. workout, however, seems like it would cause me great pain since it's really aimed for people who are very(!) flexible - that "downward dog" position... OUCH!!!!  -It's kind of "funny" - the DVD is titled "...for Beginners".  The A.M. portion, yes.  The P.M. portion... No way, Jose!

;)

*However, I did check out the "bonus" workout which uses props - blocks, yoga blocks, a strap - and that actually has a nice a "workout" for those who are still gaining flexiblity.  I think I shall use stick with that one for now.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #221 on: August 07, 2005, 08:46:57 PM »

Hmmm... That last paragraph of mine is fraught with "possibilities".

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #222 on: August 07, 2005, 08:47:32 PM »

No comment. Oh, that's a comment.

Matt H.

« Reply #223 on: August 07, 2005, 08:49:01 PM »

I'll save my thoughts on the other two shows for tomorrow. I am looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight. There is nothing better than being back home.

Matt H.

« Reply #224 on: August 07, 2005, 08:51:17 PM »

Oh, DR MBarnum, the guys that I went with to NYC visited the Museum of Sex while I was at the Museum of TV & Radio. On exhibit this month was a spread on beefcake and bodybuilders of the 1950s. When they were telling me about it, I thought instantly of you and how much you would liked to have seen that exhibit.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #225 on: August 07, 2005, 08:51:32 PM »

RE: Colin Farrell -... -And he actually played a "virgin" rather convincingly too!  ;)
Clearly, he has a long memory.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #226 on: August 07, 2005, 08:51:57 PM »

Some don't get Colin, I don't get Adrian Brody. . .just watched THE VILLAGE, still don't get Mr. Brody, but, my oh my is Ron Howard's daughter ever talented!  
I just picked up a used copy of A HOME AT THE END OF THE WORLD, which I had seen before. . .Colin certainly didn't seem uncomfortable with Dallas Roberts. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #227 on: August 07, 2005, 08:53:17 PM »

« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 08:53:40 PM by S. Woody White »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #228 on: August 07, 2005, 08:54:15 PM »

BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY TD.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BEN AND ANTHONY

« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 08:57:28 PM by Jane »

Tomovoz

« Reply #229 on: August 07, 2005, 08:54:40 PM »

Thank you for all the OzDerek vibes. I've forwarded them to him via his cellphone.  I hope it's switched off during his scans today.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #230 on: August 07, 2005, 08:54:52 PM »

Our second show was CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG which, I am sorry to say, was DOA. Honestly, within five minutes, I knew we had an uninspired, show-by-the-numbers.

I don't fault the cast. They worked very hard (Marc Kudisch with his teddy bear WAS the show for me), and the physical production was just fine. But the script was joyless, uninteresting, and lacking humor and spark, and the Gillian Lynne choreography was lackluster, drab even in numbers like "Me Ol' Bamboo" which should have stopped the show. Lifeless.

I've always wondered about the choreography and if it was the same as the London production.  I once saw a clip of Michael Ball (no dancer, he...at all ::)) doing the Bamboo song and it was just everyone walking around the poles.  Totally boring because it was obvious that he couldn't dance, but they didn't let the real dancers dance around him, which would have at least made the number a bit more exciting.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #231 on: August 07, 2005, 08:56:51 PM »

GOOD HEALTH VIBES OZDEREK!!!

Joey I like your new avatar.

Iris please let me know your thoughts on THE KITE RUNNER.

Cillaliz

« Reply #232 on: August 07, 2005, 08:58:39 PM »

Peter Jennings has passed away.

I just saw that. It's only been four months since he announced he had it. How sad.

FJL

« Reply #233 on: August 07, 2005, 08:58:54 PM »

QUEER AS FOLK SPOILER COMING

I thought the Queer as Folk finale was extremely moving and powerful.  But I was bothered a bit by how cavalierly they dealt with the obviously mentally ill boyfriend of Ted's, who clearly needed help or otherwise would have been (in real life) a great danger to himself.  I know we're supposed to care only about the main characters on a show like this, but to introduce a genuinely sick character and then just slough him off like so much garbage seemed to be sending the wrong signals to the viewer.  I mean, why bother bringing that storyline in at all?  But otherwise,  I thought it was a fitting finale to a show that I've greatly appreciated watching over the years.

Boy, I've had a kvetchy day of Tv viewing today.  Maybe I shouldn't watch Tv if stuff on it ends up bothering me so much.  :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #234 on: August 07, 2005, 09:00:12 PM »

I'm not sure about Mr Brody either - or maybe it's the films.  I didn't care for the "detachment" of "The Pianist" and I certainly did not find any surprises in "The Village" - in fact some of it was, IMHO, just plain silly.

On the other hand, I like "K-Pax" a lot and  I watched and enjoyed "The Forgotten" the other night. Not a problem with the ending for me at all. (Touches of the Cabinet of Dr Caligari" perhaps).

horses/courses
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #235 on: August 07, 2005, 09:01:30 PM »

HISAKA CONGRATULATIONS ON BECOMING A GODESS.

Tomovoz

« Reply #236 on: August 07, 2005, 09:02:11 PM »

I gave up on QAF after series 2 when it became just plain silly soap.. I'll stick to the original UK series which had heart.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #237 on: August 07, 2005, 09:08:53 PM »

DR Jay says hello to all and misses EVERYONE. He really is very busy with work (and travel to and from) plus his other major interest.
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #238 on: August 07, 2005, 09:10:24 PM »

By now you have noticed we are home.  We had a great time in the city and are glad to be here.

We had a lovely evening at JMK’s.  Dinner and the plums were delicious.  The company was warm and charming.  It was great meeting Cillaliz.  Keith and I were fortunate to have a bit of extra time with her on the drive to and from Jeff and Betsy’s.  We were thrilled George made the long drive down to see us.   It was good to see Jeff, Betsy and George again.  MBarnum you were missed.

For the past year I have been raving about BeeGee to Keith and he completely agreed with me that is one terrific dog.  As you saw in the photo they spent a good part of the evening snuggled on the couch together.  Keith offered to pet sit him anytime and he means it.

JRand I asked but BeeGee didn’t ring the doorbell.

George & Cillaliz thank you for posting the photos.  I will try to get to ours sometime this week.  First Keith needs to transfer them to the computer for me.  He has been working hard since we returned home.  To begin with the fuse to the electrical outlet the frig is plugged into blew.  Luckily for us that seems to have happened today and we didn’t loose much food.

Jason

« Reply #239 on: August 07, 2005, 09:10:42 PM »

I'm so sad to hear about the passing of Mr. Jennings. He was quite my favorite anchor on the air.

DR FJL: I'm assuming the interview with Harvey was pre-recorded and they're just showing it on all the local PBS stations.

I can't say I've ever seen a Colin Farrell movie, so I can't really comment on his acting. He is easy on the eyes, though...

SHITTY SHITTY BANG BANG didn't do it for me, either. Jan Maxwell, though...she's the real deal. Funny, funny woman.

I forgot that I did see Ms. Channing in the 9000th tour of DOLLY! Actually, it was the tour that BK recorded. And I saw Ms. Lorna Luft, though she's really only the daughter/sister of a legend.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up