Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SLEUTH  (Read 32086 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SLEUTH
« on: August 07, 2005, 12:40:52 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know the ins and outs of the notes and also the outs and ins of the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the sleuthing cows come home.  Yes, those cows are sleuthing away, led by Mr. Hercowl Poirot.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 12:11:32 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SLEUTH
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 12:42:26 AM »

And the word of the day is: TRANSMUTATION!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 12:55:10 AM »

And a very happy anniversary to dear reader Ben and his ever-lovin' Ant.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 12:55:42 AM »

I'd like to know the exact date that dear reader Rodzinski became a WUSSBURGER.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 12:56:41 AM »

I've just started to read Gregory McGuire's "Lost". DP Colin did not finish it (lost interest) and DR td was also disappointed. I shall be interested to read "Son Of A Witch" which will be published soon.

Last book I read was a collection of linked short stories "The Turning" from my favourite author, Tim Winton.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 12:57:41 AM »

Wasn't DR Rodzinski out of town this weekend? (Chicago!)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 12:58:08 AM »

Happy anniversary Ben and Anthony.
James Thurber 1957

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 01:00:49 AM »

I have seen The March Of The Penguins.

Is there anything cuter than a baby penguin?

I want one. I swear, I would take such good care of it.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 01:05:09 AM »

The next book I plan to read is The Kite Runner. I have been inspired by DRJane and DrGinny.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 01:06:41 AM by Iris212 »

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 01:09:04 AM »

***And a very Happy Anniversary to Ben and and Anthony***

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2005, 01:10:50 AM »

The Very Happiest of Anniversaries to DR Ben and his ever-lovin' Anthony!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2005, 01:14:14 AM »

The last book that I read was BK's very own "Writer's Block."  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 01:14:38 AM »

My TRANSMUTATION is about to take place.

From wake cycle to sleep cycle.

Good night, all.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2005, 01:15:38 AM »

I am currently reading a book called STAND & DELIVER, a history of Highwaymen.  Then I have a play caled BLOODY POETRY by Howard Brenton about Byron, Shelley, Mary Shelley, etc. I am also thumbing through ALEXANDER OF MACEDON because I watched Oliver Stone's director's cut of ALEXANDER and what a tedious piece of emptiness this is.  Barely a half hour into it, I turned to The Lovely Wife and said, "The Burton ALEXANDER THE GREAT isn't a good film, but it's already better than this.  This is my first experience with Colin Farrell and I must say I find him appalling uncharismatic and not a particularly good actor.  Val Kilmer and others seem to be affecting Irish accents...for Greek and Macedonian characters...I guess to accomodate Farrell, although his Irish seems to come and go in an attempt to do standard, neutral North Atlantic.  Angelina Jolie uses something that sounds like bad Russian-Italian-vaguely Middle Eastern.  Then you've got some smaller roles who are doing Cockney or Low English accents that would make Dick Van Dyke blush!

Both accents and ability notwithstanding, there is not much people can do with the ponderous, pretentious, somnambulistic dialogue (I thought Oliver Stone could write better than this) that preaches and predicts the future and doesn't really say much at all.  Production values are handsome, but spectacle without plot  or character and dynamic dialogue is rather pointless.  

A big part of the problem is you don't believe that Colin Farrell, who plays Alexander as a petulant, puzzled, whiny little boy, could lead anybody anywhere. Nor that anyone would follow him for very long.  He gives what are supposed to be mesmerizing, rousing speeches that just leave you scratching your head and sound like mindless screeching or whinging (People shout a lot in this film...it's not subtle).

At least Burton was focused, driven, and vaguely messaniac in his approach, and his anguish came off as anguish, not the pouting of a teenage boy.  Which is the biggest difference.  Burton plays a man; Farrell is yet just another immature youth of which we have too many in the movies.

We actually watched the Burton Alexander later.  And it's amazing either how much Stone just swiped from the movie or how much history is actually recorded about Alexander, because some scenes down to the dialogue were eeriely familiar.  That's why I thumbing through the bio...I want to find these moments.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 01:22:11 AM »

Yes, Colin Farrell doesn't do it for me, just a bore like so many of today's actors.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005, 01:23:12 AM »

I only have ever enjoyed one Oliver Stone "film" and that's JFK, but only because I find the subject interesting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2005, 01:23:32 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2005, 01:24:35 AM »

Ye olde iPod is playing - my "Pretty Vocals" playlist.  Currently playing: Karen Carpenter and The Carpenters, Rainy Days and Mondays.  That girl has such a voice from God.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2005, 01:25:03 AM »

I'm having me a late-night frenzy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2005, 01:27:47 AM »

Holy moley on rye, I just got a load of how many hainsies/kimlets are having birthdays this month.  Non-stop.  We'll be eating lots of cheese slices and ham chunks, that much I can tell you.

George

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2005, 01:48:29 AM »

Party Hearty!! ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2005, 01:51:51 AM »

We have a quorum on the forum, yet their all sitting there like so much fish.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2005, 01:54:26 AM »

Wasn't DR Rodzinski out of town this weekend? (Chicago!)

Good morning, DRTomovoz!  Yes, DRRodzinski is away until Monday with some family reunion in the midwest.  I hate gaetting up at 4:30.

TOD:  
   I've been working my way through bios of Michael Redgrave, John Fraser, Denis Quilley, and Madame de Pompadour.  I decided to reread A TALE OF TWO CITIES, since I've been listening to the recording of this version DRJoey is working on.  Dickens has just introduced the DeFarges and their wine shop.  I have a long way to go.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, ANTHONY AND BEN!!!
[/move]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 02:10:14 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2005, 01:55:56 AM »

Ye olde iPod is playing - my "Pretty Vocals" playlist.  Currently playing: Karen Carpenter and The Carpenters, Rainy Days and Mondays.  That girl has such a voice from God.
Can't argue with that.
Often on my playlist is Karen.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2005, 01:58:42 AM »

I've never been that fond of gaetting either DR Elmore.  I've just never really coped with those involved steps using ballet foot positions.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2005, 02:00:17 AM »

You could do no far far better reading DR Elmore.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2005, 02:00:27 AM »

I've been printing the DVD cover that I made for What If? but my printer ran out of ink, so I had to refill it.  The problem is that I have to print something several times or let the printer set for a while (it'll be over night, this time) for the ink to be completely saturated into the sponge in the ink cartridge, otherwise the colors don't print properly...which they're not. :P

Tomovoz

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2005, 02:03:05 AM »

So no Prints Charming in Olympia DR George?
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2005, 02:06:38 AM »

Both accents and ability notwithstanding, there is not much people can do with the ponderous, pretentious, somnambulistic dialogue (I thought Oliver Stone could write better than this) that preaches and predicts the future and doesn't really say much at all.  Production values are handsome, but spectacle without plot  or character and dynamic dialogue is rather pointless.  

DRPogue, thanks for your thoughts about the film.  I hope never to see a film by the pretentious Mr Stone ever again since catching his bundle of lies, homophobia, and trash called JFK.   I have vague memories of his glowing tribute to himself as a great writer in the published screenplay to PLATOON, which I haven't thought abput in the past 15 years or so.  

I was never much interested in Alexander the Great, and I never understood the popularity of the Mary Renault novels about him.  I much preferred her account of Theseus in THE KING MUST DIE.  I'd be more interested in reading a bio, so you'll have to tell us how the bok is.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2005, 02:07:35 AM »

So no Prints Charming in Olympia DR George?

Sadly, no. :'(

;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up