Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BEST IS YET TO COME  (Read 24438 times)

Ginny

Re:THE BEST IS YET TO COME
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2005, 09:43:19 AM »

Monday greetings!  Remember several weeks ago I posted that the community was voting on 4 books to select the title for The Big Read 2006?  I'm off to a meeting in about 20 minutes where we're going to tally the votes and find out our winner.  The titles were:

The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
Plainsong, by Kent Haruf
The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

Stay tuned!

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2005, 09:44:54 AM »

For page 3 - Dancing Books!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 09:47:18 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2005, 09:51:05 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

So, it was Richard Connemma was it?  Figures.  We'll let him get away with it this time, but there better be no more borrowing of our catchphrases, or we shall all have to trudge on over there and use our best catchphrase of all - we will bitch-slap him from here to eternity and hell and back.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2005, 10:09:45 AM »

Just a kiss, just a kiss
I have lived just for this.
I can't explain why I've become
Miss Chatelaine.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2005, 10:10:14 AM »

Why is everyone just sitting there like so much fish?

We have received our first two Kritzerland CD reviews (at least the first I've seen) - from Broadway's Biggest Hits, which is, I believe, a radio show (or was anyway), and a website.  I'll do these in tomorrow's notes, but here's a peek at them:

"NEW GUY IN TOWN"
GUY HAINES
Kritzerland (KR 20010-0)

Guy Haines' jazzy and fun "New Guy in Town" is a winner. Many of the 15 tracks are show tunes and he does them well. There are several unique show tunes like "I'm Past My Prime" from "Li'l Abner," the usually female torch song "Love Look Away" from "Flower Drum Song," and a wonderful "Little Red Hat" from "110 in the Shade" that is a duet with Juliana A. Hansen. There's a big rich band that accompanies Haines conducted with relish by Grant Geissman, who also does the orchestrations and arrangements with album producer Bruce Kimmel. This is the second release from Kimmel's new label and, just like "After the Ball," this is a classy album suggesting a bright future for the new company.

Grade: A

"AFTER THE BALL"
Irish Repertory Theatre Cast
Kritzerland (KR 20010-1)

It's nice to have Bruce Kimmel back producing show music albums and the debut show on his new Kritzerland label is the excellent Irish Repertory Theatre cast recording of Noel Coward's 1954 "After the Ball," a witty and clever adaptation of Oscar Wilde's "Lady Windermere's Fan." When the show opened, the signed star, Mary Ellis, once a musical theater legend, had lost most of her voice and the show was altered during tryouts eliminating much of Coward's excellent score for the role. For this version, Barry Day edited a new version from the original with some extrapolations. The show's music is lovely, some of Coward's best, and the lyrics include Coward's renowned wit and sparkle. The production's cast is excellent. Even though the production wasn't a fully staged one because the show's size would have made it cost prohibitive, this recording gives us a wonderful record of what Coward intended with this show and it's a delightful listen. As expected, Kimmel produces a classy recording with a well-illustrated and informative booklet that explains the show well. It's nice to have Kimmel back with such a nice recording and we know he will capture many interesting shows that would otherwise be overlooked for recordings.

Grade: A

FJL

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2005, 10:20:35 AM »

The title of the notes today brought to mind a story the truth of which I've always wondered about.  The story goes that Carolyn Leigh was out of town with a musical and they wanted to cut part of a song, and she stormed out of the theater saying something about her rights as a member of the Dramatists Guild.  Everyone else supposedly went on about their business, fixing the song, saying oh, that Carolyn, she'll be back.  But the story goes that she showed up with a policeman shouting and pointing at her co-workers, saying something like "Officer, arrest them!  They're violating my Dramatists Guild rights!"

I haven't been able to find this story on the internet anywhere.  Does anyone know if it's true, or even partially true?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2005, 10:23:26 AM »

Coolio on the reviews, BK!

DR FJL, I've heard that story more than once.  I think Neil Simon mentions it in his REWRITES bio.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2005, 10:27:32 AM »

DR FJL, check out this link to Amazon for the excerpt from the Simon book.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2005, 10:31:37 AM »

I love how we constantly reference TCB, when the fact is we are all just as foul at heart!  :)

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of HHW's?

Rodzinski knows!!!

my apologies to The Shadow

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2005, 10:32:01 AM »

Belated Birthday Greetings to DR Stuart!!!

vixmom

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2005, 10:32:39 AM »

Belated birthday Greetings to DR Jed's mom

vixmom

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2005, 10:33:55 AM »

Belated Congratulatory Noises to DR Jose on reaching and surpassing 8000...

your "acceptance speech" made me laugh out loud!!

FJL

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2005, 10:37:58 AM »

DR Dan - Thanks so much.  The Carolyn Leigh story seems even better than the way I heard it.

vixmom

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2005, 10:41:02 AM »

DR Ginny. the Vixter had her "Batle of The Books" competition Saturday this was for kids entering 6th - 9th grades.  Her team didn't win but they finished well enough to hold their heads high

the books were:
Artemis Fowl  by Eoin Colfer
The Secret of Platform 13  by Eva Ibbotson
Wrinkle in Time  by Madeline "/Engle
Danger Zone  by David Klawss
No More dead Dogs by Gordon Korman
Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man by Wendelin VanDraanen
All-American Girl by Meg Cabot
Driver's Ed by Caroline B. Cooney
Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
Cripsin: The Cross of Lead by Avi
Downsiders by Neal Schusterman
and
When My Name was Keoko by Linda Sue Park

vixmom

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2005, 10:43:18 AM »

bk: Nice Reviews!!!  

FJL

« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2005, 10:44:56 AM »

BK - Congratulations on those reviews.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2005, 10:49:58 AM »

It's downright COLD here in Oakland this morning.  I closed my balcony door last night, and I pulled down the windows.

Even then, I slept under a blanker.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

It only got up to F 60 degrees yesterday...and that's a lot warm than it is right now!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2005, 10:52:08 AM »

Good vibes to BK!  And great "A" reviews!~~~~~~~~~

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2005, 10:54:16 AM »

Now I need some verification of a theatre story:  we all know the tale of why "Momma's Talkin' Soft" was dropped from Gypsy.  But I could swear that in the past year or so that Sondheim himself discounted the story as a half-truth--that the little girl was indeed afraid of climbing up to the above stage platform, but that she was still able to satisfactorily perform the song and that the song was dropped for a completely unrelated reason.  There's been so much published lately about Sondheim that I'm not sure where I might have heard this.  Anyone have a clew?
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2005, 10:55:48 AM »

Big Brother 6 Spoilage:  

I watched "House Calls" this morning because I've become so disgusted by what has been going on in the house that I wanted to hear the reactions of Marcellus and Gretchen.

Both agree Jenn has become power-crazy.  They think Maggie is stupid because she declared herself to be "the leader" of her group in an exchange with Jenn.  Jenn said she was afraid she was going to be a huge target next week, and Maggie asked why since she (Maggie) is the "leader."  

Gretchen says she admires the way Jenn has played.  Marcellas vehemently disagrees.

Both aren't certain Kaysar will be evicted since the group has been flipflopping.

I, personally, believe he will be nominated to replace Rachel, who will save herself.  I don't know that he will leave Thursday since this becomes a chance for Ivette to advocate eliminating her hated Janelle.

Still...while I'm a bit disappointed that Kaysar trusted Jennifer -- and know it has ruined the game for who I consider to be "the good guys" --  it is fun to see James manipulating the "disciples" so very well.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 04:46:28 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2005, 11:02:46 AM »

I'm off to the wilds of the East Side and the Village.  Where's my gun?  And my pith helmet?

The gun I can understand, but there're plenty of available rest rooms so you needn't take a helmet to pith in ::)

der Bruther (trying to "hear" Madeline Kahn inviting Elmore to take off his pith helmet)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2005, 11:12:06 AM »

I had the chance to crack open The Muppet Show first season collection this weekend.  I couldn't get over how entertaining these shows remain.  The skits and musical numbers are pretty much hoary old vaudeville/TV variety show quality, but the Muppets and the guest stars carry everything off with such panache that everything seems fresh.  (And I'm surprised that the guest stars from such early episodes are so willing to throw themselves into the proceedings and go along for the ride--long before the show could have gained a reputation for being a fun gig.)  We watched the whole first disc all the way through on Saturday night and there are three more to go.  Each episode gets better than the previous one, and from what I've read, the show overall got better and better season by season.  I will be collecting them all!

I ordered this a couple of weeks ago and it hasn't come yet. :'( Maybe today...or tomorrow. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2005, 11:15:14 AM »

Berniece left another bruise across the bridge of my nose this morning. She's a tough broad! I'm gonna have to make some adjustments, I think, to prevent any further bruising...

DR George: How funny that her hubby uses CPAP and actually had the cojones to wear it on TV! Good for him. I've decided if I ever become a recognizable name, I'm going to be a spokesperson for the American Sleep Apnea Association (www.sleepapnea.org).

A part of the episode (and some of the next) was about Matt (Kathy's husband) becoming eligible for gastric bypass surgery.  He was approved, but decided not to do it.  That was pretty brave, also!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2005, 11:16:26 AM »

Favorite Cary Grant movies:
Arsenic and Old Lace
Charade
The Philadelphia Story

Favorite Sophia Loren movies:
Houseboat
Man of La Mancha

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2005, 11:25:57 AM »

Favourite Cary Grant movies:

PENNY SERENADE (He should've won an Academy Award)

I agree with you!  

Other Cary Grant favorites:
PHILADELPHIA STORY
NOTORIOUS
FATHER GOOSE
WALK DON’T RUN
ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
THE BISHOP’S WIFE
MR BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE
MY FAVORITE WIFE
BRINGING UP BABY
THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER

Sophia Loren:
HOUSEBOAT

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2005, 11:28:13 AM »

TPunk returns tonight!!!

Jane

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2005, 11:29:06 AM »

Bruce, nice reviews. :D :D :D

Jane

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2005, 11:29:35 AM »

Rodzinski and TPunk have a happy reunion.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2005, 11:33:26 AM »

DR MattH, where did you find the Lennon closing info?

I'm not surprised; the two reviews I saw basically said, stay home, drink wine and listen to the original recordings.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2005, 11:35:30 AM »

BIG BROTHER LIVE FEEDS TALK!

DR ron, you mean you're sorry kaysar trusted JEN, not Janelle, right?

IMO, Janelle is the only sane one there!

I am guessing they will surely vote out kaysar. Noms are happening any time (as we speak).

I just wish that kaysar et al had figured out what was going on so they could at least have had a chance to talk jen out of it.

And i'm disapointed howie/rach never went to maggie and reminded her of the agreement they had. That she swore they would vote out james and sarah.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up