Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BEST IS YET TO COME  (Read 24594 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE BEST IS YET TO COME
« on: August 15, 2005, 12:04:20 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know the best is yet to come and is simply awaiting your excellent vibes and xylophones, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, and babe won't it be fine when they do?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 12:14:56 AM by bk »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THE BEST IS YET TO COME
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 12:17:39 AM »

Favourite Cary Grant movies:

GUNGA DIN
PENNY SERENADE (He should've won an Academy Award)
HOLIDAY
PHILADELPHIA STORY
THE AWFUL TRUTH
NOTORIOUS

I confess I have never seen NORTH BY NORTHWEST.

FAVOURITE SOPHIA LOREN MOVIES:

HOUSEBOAT
IT STARTED IN NAPLES
EL CID
I remember being intrigued by HELLER IN PINK TIGHTS &DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS but it's been years since I've seen either.  I love Sophia Loren, however, my feminine ideal!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 12:20:43 AM »

Pogue - you MUST SEE NORTH BY NORTHWEST NOW!  If you want to watch it over here at my home environment on the big screen, just let me know when - I can watch it over and over.  It's a great film, great script (which I think you will love - it has so many quotable lines it's unbelievable), and is filled with the best actors.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 12:23:37 AM »

And the word of the day is: CHATELAINE!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 12:31:36 AM »

Cary Grant: Arsenic And old Lace
                   To Catch A Thief
                   An Affair To Remember

Sophie Loren: Boy On A Dolphin
                       Two Women
                       Houseboat
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 12:34:02 AM »

Chatelaine:
Wasn't that the father of Pippin? Or was it his mistress?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 12:36:45 AM »

I've never seen Two Women - haven't bought any of the PD DVDs because of the quality.  But, it's supposed to be coming out in a 2 DVD special edition.

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 01:18:48 AM »

I've not seen "Two Women" since 1961.  I remember it as powerful and very moving.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 01:40:31 AM »

I guess not too far to jump - my mind went from "Two Women" to "Tomorrow Is Too Late". I must have seen the Pier Angeli film some years after it was released.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 02:02:49 AM »

Good Morning Michael S.  Very early!!!
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 02:05:07 AM »

Good Morning Michael S.  Very early!!!

I went to bed earlier and now I am up. I think I will go for a very early morning walk.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 02:14:22 AM »

Sophia Loren:
Two Women
Lady L
Man of La Mancha (and also for Peter O'Toole)
and a couple of films that were not very goof but she was in them. Firepower, The Cassandra Crossing

Cary Grant:
Arsenic and Old Lace
Topper
His Girl Friday
Charade
To Catch a Thief
The Bishop's Wife
and several others
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 03:56:59 AM »

Good morning, all!  It seems much cooler this morning, and I hope the rains last night have blown away the heat.  I have to schlep this morning:  music to Tams-Witmark, then the recording office, where I'll be most of the day.  I have a couple of phone calls to make, an email address to track down, and some organizing of my desk which always looks like vandals have struck.

TOD:
  Cary Grant:  Arsenic and Old LAce
                   Holiday
                   Philadelphia Story
                   Charade
                   North by Northwest

Sophia Loren:  Two Women
                       Marriage Italian Style
                       A Special Day

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 04:02:01 AM »

Good morning DR Elmore.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 04:57:19 AM »

Good morning, DR Tomovoz!  I hope you're having a pleasant day.  I'm off to the wilds of the East Side and the Village.  Where's my gun?  And my pith helmet?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2005, 05:49:30 AM »

TOD:

Cary Grant:
Bringing Up Baby
The Philadelphia Story
Arsenic and Old Lace (the best triple take in motion picture history, bar none!)
North by Northwest

Sophie Loren:

I'm embarassed to admit that the only movies I can definately recall seeing Ms Loren in are:
Houseboat
The Fall of the Roman Empire
Grumpier Old Men
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2005, 05:50:03 AM »

I have not seen Cary Grant movies much but... North by Northwest is my favorite and I really agree with dear BK’s mention about it.

Sophia Loren: Sunflower (the best of all)
                      Two Women
                      A Special Day
                      Marriage Italian-Style
                      and she in Prêt-à-Porter was still gorgeous(I                                            
                      didn’t like the film itself much, though.)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 05:55:26 AM »

Lots of fun! Thank you for the great photos, DR MBarnum. Ms. Shirly Jones looks CUTE! She must have completely forgetten to get old for these twenty years.

DR Hisaka, I join DR TCB in complimenting you on this beautiful turn of phrase.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 06:36:00 AM »

BK - The phrase that Richard C. used on the other chat board was "Where else can you find such information?"  It's in the thread regarding bathrooms and such at the West Coast production of WICKED.  

SPOILER WARNING FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T SEEN NORTH BY NORTHWEST

Our law school drama group actually did a musical parody of NORTH BY NORTHWEST.  The movie didn't really deserve in any negative way to be parodied, but it was entirely title-driven.  The main classrooms at the school were in the Langdell Building, and they were Langdell North, Langdell North Middle and Langdell South.  So someone idly said wouldn't it be fun to call a show NORTH BY NORTH MIDDLE, and an ambitious, well-budgeted "original" (meaning all-new-book, all-new-songs) musical parody sprung from that.  One of the songs I co-wrote for it was about the fun of playing a video game and leaving your boring world behind (a theme in my life in the early 1980's).  The song and the first act were capped by our hero Thornbook ("hornbook" being a law school text term) playing a video game named CROPDUSTER which suddenly turns on him with fine special effects that almost burned down the theater during dress rehearsal but were top-notch and spectacular by opening night.  

Where else but on HHW can you find such information?  :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 06:50:00 AM by FJL »

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 06:36:49 AM »

Favorite Cary Grant: PENNY SERENADE, followed closely by THE BISHOPS WIFE.

No favorite Sophia Loren films, I am sorry to say.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 07:08:03 AM »

Hmmm...Among the DVD releases for tomorrow is the I Married Joan Collection 2.  I wasn't even aware that there was a first collection.  I just might pick up one of these.

I had the chance to crack open The Muppet Show first season collection this weekend.  I couldn't get over how entertaining these shows remain.  The skits and musical numbers are pretty much hoary old vaudeville/TV variety show quality, but the Muppets and the guest stars carry everything off with such panache that everything seems fresh.  (And I'm surprised that the guest stars from such early episodes are so willing to throw themselves into the proceedings and go along for the ride--long before the show could have gained a reputation for being a fun gig.)  We watched the whole first disc all the way through on Saturday night and there are three more to go.  Each episode gets better than the previous one, and from what I've read, the show overall got better and better season by season.  I will be collecting them all!
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 07:21:02 AM »

Good Morning!

I ended up falling asleep after a chapter or so of the book I'm currently reading.  It's not a boring book by any means, but the day, slowly but surely caught up with me.  Sleep is good.

Now I'm just continuing to clear out the cobwebs before heading over to Goodrich for today's tech...  And then who knows when I'll get back...  We're all just hoping that the "scheduled" 3:00am finish time does not have to be utilized.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 07:22:35 AM »

As for Cary Grant and Sophia Loren movies... Nothing in particular to into my still sleepy mind, right now... So...

DITTO.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 07:27:52 AM »

DR FJL: Thank you for sharing your blister story. I, too, recently had a large blister. Mine was on the bottom of my foot - on the ball of it, to be specific. Anyway, the other night I was walking to Eckerd and the skin...well...I'll just say it isn't there anymore. I've had to keep it bandaged up for the last few days to let the new skin toughen a little. I'm bandage-free this morning.

Berniece left another bruise across the bridge of my nose this morning. She's a tough broad! I'm gonna have to make some adjustments, I think, to prevent any further bruising...

DR George: How funny that her hubby uses CPAP and actually had the cojones to wear it on TV! Good for him. I've decided if I ever become a recognizable name, I'm going to be a spokesperson for the American Sleep Apnea Association (www.sleepapnea.org).

I don't really know from Cary Grant/Sophia Loren movies. I've seen "North By Northwest," which was quite good, and I've seen "Man of La Mancha" and "El Cid," so I'll vote for those, too.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2005, 07:37:05 AM »

I could go on and on about Cary Grant films because he certainly made just about more classic movies than anyone and not a lot of duds.

My favorite is CHARADE but right up there are BRINGING UP BABY, HIS GIRL FRIDAY, NOTORIOUS, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, and HOLIDAY.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 07:38:29 AM »

Yes, Charles Pogue, you need to take bk up on his offer and watch NORTH BY NORTHWEST on as large a screen as possible. The DVD is of astonishing quality, sharp as a tack, and one of the best transfers of any Hitchcock film out there. Really a one of a kind movie experience.

FJL

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 07:38:44 AM »

DR Jason-  I had thought sharing my own hardship would help alleviate yours, knowing that someone else had something more gross, but really - I can't top YOUR blister story.  Maybe if I tell you about my kidney stone, but that was many years ago.

Jason

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2005, 07:39:46 AM »

According to Playbill.com, the PAJAMA GAME revival with Harry Connick, Jr., is back on and scheduled to start previews on March 2 at the American Airlines Theatre. No one told MTI!!

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2005, 07:40:23 AM »

The only time I ever saw HOUSEBOAT was on ABC's Sunday Night Movie, and with all the assorted commercials, etc. it seemed six years long. Maybe I'd like it better if I could see it straight through, but I don't remember being particularly fond of it.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2005, 07:43:43 AM »

And I must ruefully admit to never being a particular fan of Sophia Loren. I was very surprised and somewhat impressed that she ended up being the best thing to me about the MAN OF LA MANCHA film (who knew she could act her way convincingly through those very difficult songs of Aldonza's), but overall, she never did much for me as an actress. However, I've never seen TWO WOMEN, so I should reserve judgment until I at least see one of her most acclaimed performances.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up