Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN A TRICE  (Read 26598 times)

Jason

Re:NOTES IN A TRICE
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2003, 04:49:29 PM »

Matt--I agree, generalisms never seem to help anything. The thing that kind of bugs me is, the office used to be a lot of fun and people were free to engage in conversation, sing, laugh, do whatever--as long as the work got done. I am a very hard worker, I pay very close attention to detail and I work quite quickly, which in every other office I've temped in has been a good quality to have. I'm not sure when the office etiquette changed, or when their expectations for us changed, because they haven't been consistent with enforcing any of their new "rules." Some people are hounded and hovered over while others get away with virtual murder. I wasn't aware that it was an infraction of any rule to lean over and say something to the guy sitting next to me, as that had never really been a rule before. When Fussbudget was hired, a new employee handbook was distributed (only to full-time employees--not to temps) and they had to sign agreements and things, but since I never got a copy of the handbook, I have no idea what they were agreeing about. It's like we've gone from working at Disneyland to working for the Weisslers, and everyone's heads are spinning trying to figure out what's what. It's making my stomach hurt to think about it... I know work isn't supposed to be fun (necessarily), but it's not supposed to give you ulcers, either...especially when you're "just" a temp.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2003, 04:55:03 PM »

LOL - The Weisslers. THanks for giving me my best laugh of the day.  :D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2003, 05:04:07 PM »

A quick post from the school library.  It is raining cats and dogs and also dogs and cats outside.  The lawns resemble swamps, and no one is stupid enough to cross them.  And yet what did I see as I ran from the bookstore to the library?  Someone had turned on the sprinklers!  Yes, you heard it here.  Apparently the grounds people neglected to check outside a window before they went to work this morning...or else they decided that swampy lawns aren't good enough, oh no, we're going for on-campus bogs now.  I swear I saw a duck swimming past the 10 yard line on the football field.  

TCB - It was the Pearl street Safeway, never fear.  I live just a block away from it, so driving a car seems rather silly, even in the dead of night in the middle of a windstorm...

I am now off to the music building where I will not leave until I have my two Brahms songs commited to memory, or I am commited myself...whichever happens first.  I got a scary lecture from my voice teacher this morning because my recital is two weeks away and they're not memorized yet.  I think she doubts I'll manage to pull it off...well won't she be surprised! I'm not giving up yet...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 05:05:27 PM by Ann »

Jason

« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2003, 05:06:17 PM »

Best of lucks with the Brahms, Ann. German was always hard for me to memorize. I could knock out a French chanson with no problem, but those lieds kicked my leiderhosen.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 05:10:34 PM by Jason »

Tomovoz

« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2003, 05:07:59 PM »

DR Jane: The sound of any member of the possum family in fright or mating would have terrified the first white inhabitants of this country - as no doubt would the melodious laugh of the kookaburra.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2003, 05:10:00 PM »

Perhaps it helps to Brahms and Liszt at such a time Ann. Maybe that is not a Washington expression.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2003, 05:50:43 PM »

TCB has your house been invaded by cats and dogs? Are your cats safe. Do you have severe wind! Is the storm heading across the Pacific? Will I write anything just to post?
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2003, 05:54:39 PM »

The rain still hasn't arrived here. All threats but no action. Yet.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2003, 06:12:14 PM »

...and where she stops, nobody knows.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2003, 06:25:02 PM »

Too many fershluganah smilies and not enough posts!

We were a handful of posts from breaking 200 over ONE HOUR ago!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2003, 06:25:32 PM »

Do I.....

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2003, 06:25:41 PM »

...have to...

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2003, 06:25:54 PM »

...get us there...

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2003, 06:26:05 PM »

,,,all by myself?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2003, 06:26:10 PM »

TCB your package is on the way!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2003, 06:27:30 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #196 on: November 18, 2003, 06:28:14 PM »

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #197 on: November 18, 2003, 06:30:17 PM »

I think I will watch The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse with Mr Glenn Ford and Ms Ingrid Thulin (who speaks in Angela Lansbury's voice) and Miss Yvette Mimieux and Ms Harriett MacGibbon and Mr Karl Boehm.   ;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #198 on: November 18, 2003, 06:31:05 PM »

Shouldn't we leave it up the mortals Ron?
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2003, 06:31:20 PM »

It's nearly time for the left coasters to start their volley and leave us with 3 pages of notes to read on Jason' birthday!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #200 on: November 18, 2003, 06:33:42 PM »

"Hello, Mr. Chips!"

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #201 on: November 18, 2003, 06:34:36 PM »

There!  Now it's done!

I suppose you're right, Tom from Oz, but BK has expectations.  Oh, YES!  He has expectations!

Tomovoz

« Reply #202 on: November 18, 2003, 06:35:17 PM »

I am pleased to know that at least someone makes the effort to read all those posts the next day.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #203 on: November 18, 2003, 06:35:24 PM »

And, oh, what the heck, I'll give myself a nice round number, too!

Tomovoz

« Reply #204 on: November 18, 2003, 06:40:47 PM »

Will it be Jack or BK who next make it to this omniscient position. Is someone omniscient supposed to know what is going to happen as well?
James Thurber 1957

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #205 on: November 18, 2003, 06:42:31 PM »

Some of you have been karmalized today for making me laugh :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #206 on: November 18, 2003, 06:44:47 PM »

Oh DR Ron, what a lovely photograph!  I love that movie - so many perfect moments spelled out in song by Mr Bricusse - and performed in character by O'Toole and Clark!

And the juxtaposition of the rollicking "SchoolDays" number with the announcement that someone else is being named Head of the School is so dramatically touching.  :'(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #207 on: November 18, 2003, 06:46:19 PM »

I am working at it, but don't expect GodHood before Thursday.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #208 on: November 18, 2003, 06:47:53 PM »

Jason:
Here's some unsolicited advice from someone who has temped for years upon years.  

You are (I assume), first and foremost, a performer.  You audition, you love theatre, and your goal in life is not to be a receptionist for the Boss From Hell, but to be a successful performer, am I right?  So there is no good reason why you should stay in any job that makes your stomach hurt.  When you go home at night and you're still thinking about the job, it's time to quit.  A "day job" is only to support you while you are focusing on your real job as a performer.  You can't afford to be distracted by it.  I've been in that situation and too often I've stuck around and suffered and you know what?  It's not necessary.  There are way too many temp jobs around to put up with that crap.

I worked at a theatrical general  manager's office for a while, as a gopher, and while the perks were great and the people were wonderful, it didn't pay enough to live on and the job, frankly, sucked my ass.  I stayed there longer than I should because I loved the people and I thought, "Hey, at least I'm working in the business....sort of...".  But it wasn't worth it, and in the end I was much more focused and successful when I found temp jobs that allowed me to concentrate on what I came here to do.

And then I took a year off to work at a law firm.  But in 16 days, I'll be freeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Tomovoz

« Reply #209 on: November 18, 2003, 07:00:53 PM »

But it's Thursday in less than 12 hours Jack. Well it is from my viewing platform (Cloud 15). I am sure the number of posts remaining for you has something do do with the meaning of life.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up