Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IN A MELLOW MOOD  (Read 712 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: IN A MELLOW MOOD
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2024, 07:32:33 AM »

I gotta get to work!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 07:34:32 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2024, 07:34:05 AM »

My friend who had been planning to direct Mattress up here in Nov.-Dec. saw the Encores! production and absolutely loved the orchestra, but he just re-summarized it to me thusly:

"Charles, it was really horrible, like a really really bad sitcom. They stripped it of all its charm."

If you've lost MATTRESS, you might look at THE TRIUMPH OF LOVE; it's intelligent, funny, and the score is really lovely.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2024, 07:55:38 AM »

I too am sad that SO HELP ME TODD is gone.....  Fun characters and some fine actors on the show.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2024, 07:56:05 AM »

That's quite a resume DR ELMORE.....I can't wait for the book!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2024, 07:58:32 AM »

My friend who had been planning to direct Mattress up here in Nov.-Dec. saw the Encores! production and absolutely loved the orchestra, but he just re-summarized it to me thusly:

"Charles, it was really horrible, like a really really bad sitcom. They stripped it of all its charm."

If you've lost MATTRESS, you might look at THE TRIUMPH OF LOVE; it's intelligent, funny, and the score is really lovely.

I don't know it. Thank you! 

We're also thinking about trying for one of the shows for which there's a good two-piano version. (Not Streets of New York, though, not this time around.)

ChasSmith

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2024, 08:01:06 AM »

That's quite a resume DR ELMORE.....I can't wait for the book!

:D

MichaelG

• Well, back to square one.
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2024, 08:37:27 AM »

Anyone listening to Here We Are today?

Ooh, thanks for the reminder! I've just ordered it so it should arrive tomorrow.

Freddie

• The poster formerly known as FJL
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2024, 09:07:01 AM »

Sending more health vibes for DR Iris.  If you're reading, Iris - hope you're feeling OK these days.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Someone like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

Freddie

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2024, 09:52:59 AM »

Has anyone ever seen Fanny Price and Fanny Brice in the same room at the same time?

You may be on to something there. 

:)
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Someone like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

Freddie

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2024, 09:56:52 AM »

Cherry Cobbler Day and Pizza Party Day sounds like an enjoyable combo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2024, 10:25:48 AM »

ChasSmith, do The Brain from Planet X for heaven's sake. Small band, great orchestrations by you-know-who, and FUNNY, with great roles for everyone.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2024, 10:26:37 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - eight hours of sleep interrupted at six by a thirty-minute allergy attack. Took the last of my twelve-hour pills, so later this evening I'll go get more.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2024, 10:27:05 AM »

I've never like Coughlin's work, if truth be told.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2024, 10:28:03 AM »

As to it going to Broadway - why is every show now a limited run (or so they say)? But this is purely a Sutton thing because they all feel she's a draw.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2024, 10:32:40 AM »

DR George, are you going to give us the Amélie repor?

It's a cute show and the lead was very good...most of the cast were, too.  It did take me a while to get into it, though.  Part of me was thinking, "What's going on? What's the point?"  And another part of me was just enjoying the ride because I really like the score. 

« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 11:20:41 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2024, 10:32:48 AM »

Ultimately, I got into it and ended up really enjoying the sweet story of a quirky young woman who really likes a (very attractive ;) ) young man and how they got together.  I know it's not everyone's cuppa, but it was mine. :)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 11:20:57 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Freddie

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2024, 10:34:17 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - eight hours of sleep interrupted at six by a thirty-minute allergy attack. Took the last of my twelve-hour pills, so later this evening I'll go get more.

Anti-allergy vibes to you, Bruce.  Will Medicare let you see a doctor about that?

Freddie

« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2024, 10:40:33 AM »

As to it going to Broadway - why is every show now a limited run (or so they say)? But this is purely a Sutton thing because they all feel she's a draw.

The press release mentions the L.A. engagement at the Ahmanson (starting Dec. 10) is already scheduled. 

"Following its Broadway engagement, Foster will headline the production in Los Angeles for a four-week engagement at Center Theatre Group's Ahmanson Theatre from December 10, 2024 – January 5, 2025."

George

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2024, 10:57:10 AM »

Anyone listening to Here We Are today?

Not "officially." ::)

;)

George

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2024, 11:00:10 AM »

DR George, you're not a pack rat. You're a curator.

You could also say that I'm a connoisseur and a collector! :D

George

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2024, 11:13:17 AM »

TOD:

Am expecting delivery today of "Dune, Part 2" on 4K Blu ray.  I don't know if I will watch it right away, but it is in my near future of things to see.

I haven't seen either part, but am considering getting the two movies. 

George

« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2024, 11:13:38 AM »

I hope this at least brings some good news for DR Elmore and Josh.

Fame!!! Fortune!!! Ya know?

That would be so cool!

George

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2024, 11:14:43 AM »

Does that mean they're re-orchestrating it again?

Or they're using Coughlin's work from the Sarah Jessica Parker revival.

Darn. :-\

George

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2024, 11:17:13 AM »

I agree.  I saw a local production many years ago, and it was absolutely delightful.

George

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2024, 11:19:51 AM »

ChasSmith, do The Brain from Planet X for heaven's sake. Small band, great orchestrations by you-know-who, and FUNNY, with great roles for everyone.

I agree with this also!!  I was in a production here in Olympia that BK and David Wechter came up to see.  We had a great time doing it!

ChasSmith

« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2024, 11:56:39 AM »

Wouldn't I love to. Though in this time slot we should be doing A Carol Christmas! I've told these people it's out there, but some of them feel the sting of recent shitty home-grown Dickens adaptations, and it's going to take some time to get past that.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 01:37:17 PM by ChasSmith »

George

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2024, 12:10:30 PM »

Wouldn't I love to. Thought in this time slot we should be doing A Carol Christmas! I've told these people it's out there, but some of them feel the sting of recent shitty home-grown Dickens adaptations, and it's going to take some time to get past that.

You could forward them the link to BK's original production that's still available to watch on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LRMqTFeZXs

Then, they could see for themselves how delightful (and good!) a show it is!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2024, 01:06:17 PM »

The article I just read on this summer Once Upon A Mattress implies the Coughlin orchestrations will be new and not the Sarah Jessica Parker revival's.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2024, 01:28:50 PM »

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Freddie

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2024, 01:31:41 PM »

Because of looking for TV theme songs yesterday, YouTube now keeps suggesting other TV theme songs. 

This was the theme song for the pilot of "Alice" sung by Linda Lavin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuWZnGuTbT0

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up