Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE IDLING CAR IN THE NIGHT  (Read 3630 times)

ChasSmith

Re: THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE IDLING CAR IN THE NIGHT
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2024, 05:38:09 AM »

If the Nocturnal Car Idler ever returns to BK's street, just send the guy with the Tesla.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2024, 05:46:30 AM »

Thanks for PAGE TWO, DR ChasSmith.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2024, 05:46:41 AM »

:)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2024, 05:53:37 AM »

I absolutely HATE to complain, but your list omits that today is International Falafel Day!!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 06:18:43 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2024, 05:56:14 AM »

Thank you, DR Ron Pulliam. I had no idea.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2024, 05:56:27 AM »

Nobody puts Baby in a corner.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2024, 05:57:25 AM »

Happy Wednesday, everyone.

The second Wednesday of every month is always very special to me.

It's the day my Social Security is deposited into my savings account.  I just love watching that number grow a little bit each month.

It passses the time, at any rate.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2024, 06:03:59 AM »

Speaking of Social Security, I had the oddest telephone call yesterday afternoon:

The phone rang and the ID showed a 908 area code.  I answered and a pleasant man's voice inquired if I was the party to whom he was speaking.  I verified that I was.

He wanted to know if I had received my letter from Social Security regarding an upcoming increase.  I pondered that for a moment and remembered I had received such a letter.

He asked me to get the letter in hand so he could guide me through it.  I thought about that one for a moment as well.  After all, I have been reading my own letters since I was in the first grade nearly 70 years ago.

I told him I kept the letter but couldn't remember where I put it.  He suggested I find it while he waited.

Just a wee bit exasperated, I told him I was not inclined to go rummaging around discarded mail.  What was so important about the letter?  So far as I know, I will not be one of the recipients of the increase.

He said, "Never mind.  Just tell me what you draw monthly from Social Security."

I said, "No, that's just none of your business.  Have a nice day."  I hung up.

I immediately googled to see if this was a scam ongoing around the country.  There are scams, but I couldn't find one exactly like this one. 

It later dawned on me that this guy never identified himself.  He simply assumed an "officious" tone.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 06:58:00 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2024, 06:14:32 AM »

And while I am remarking about scams:

I am a DirecTV customer.  They have had several breaches of their records in recent years, but the thieves get names, addresses and phone numbers.

I always wondered what good they could make of such basic info.

I have had two (count 'em two) calls from men representing themselves as DirecTV employees.  They both wanted to inform me that new offerings were available, or there were specials, or -- in the latest call a couple of weeks ago --  a technical upgrade was needed for my DVR.

I said okay, so what do you need?  He again explained the upgrade and told me all I needed to do was turn off my TV.  It was already off.  He then embarked into what the upgrade would do for the quality of my video and sound, and that  with my approval, DirecTV would charge me $300 for the upgrade.

Now let me assure you I knew I was being scammed, but I just had to know where the scam was coming from.  My first clue on both calls is that the men were natives of India and have a rudimentary command of English but with no concept of syntax. 

I laughed at the absurd notion that he expected me to pay extra, and I told him he was scamming me.  He protested and suggested i call the Better Business Bureau to verify that DirectTV is legitimate.

At that point, I suggested that he learn to speak English better before trying such a scam again. I hung up.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2024, 06:17:15 AM »

I have no idea where the rest of today will take me, but most of it will see me with my feet UP.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2024, 06:49:16 AM »

I enjoyed reading DR VIXMOM's story last night.....and I agree with DR ELMORE that it is a good portent for the future.
....it has an undertaste.....

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2024, 06:51:30 AM »

Thanks to MR BK for the music information.

The idling car is a mystery to be sure.

They have finished digging up the sidewalk and driveway across the street.

There is an orange arrow on the sidewalk in front of my house....it points to the edge of my driveway - then there is another orange arrow on the other side of my driveway.

I don't know if they means my driveway is being skipped or that ONLY my driveway and not my sidewalk or being upgraded.

I guess I will know when it happens.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2024, 06:52:49 AM »

My question for ASK BK DAY.

Since you now have a nice Medicare Advantage Plan - you might see a doctor and maybe get prescriptions for your allergies and indigestion...your plan may even pay for them.  And you can say goodbye to the OTC products.

Freddie

• The poster formerly known as FJL
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2024, 07:01:01 AM »

What a story from vixmom last night!
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Something like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

Freddie

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2024, 07:03:06 AM »

Speaking of Social Security, I had the oddest telephone call yesterday afternoon:

The phone rang and the ID showed a 908 area code.  I answered and a pleasant man's voice inquired if I was the party to whom he was speaking.  I verified that I was.

908 is a New Jersey area code.  What bad intentions could anyone from New Jersey possibly have?

This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Something like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

Freddie

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2024, 07:05:47 AM »

They have finished digging up the sidewalk and driveway across the street.

There is an orange arrow on the sidewalk in front of my house....it points to the edge of my driveway - then there is another orange arrow on the other side of my driveway.

I don't know if they means my driveway is being skipped or that ONLY my driveway and not my sidewalk or being upgraded.

I guess I will know when it happens.

Is there a local agency that can alert you on this - whether it will affect the automotive comings and goings around you, so you can plan? 

Freddie

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2024, 07:08:31 AM »

And while I am remarking about scams:

I am a DirecTV customer.  They have had several breaches of their records in recent years, but the thieves get names, addresses and phone numbers.

I always wondered what good they could make of such basic info.

I have had two (count 'em two) calls from men representing themselves as DirecTV employees.  They both wanted to inform me that new offerings were available, or there were specials, or -- in the latest call a couple of weeks ago --  a technical upgrade was needed for my DVR.

I said okay, so what do you need?  He again explained the upgrade and told me all I needed to do was turn off my TV.  It was already off.  He then embarked into what the upgrade would do for the quality of my video and sound, and that  with my approval, DirecTV would charge me $300 for the upgrade.

Now let me assure you I knew I was being scammed, but I just had to know where the scam was coming from.  My first clue on both calls is that the men were natives of India and have a rudimentary command of English but with no concept of syntax. 

I laughed at the absurd notion that he expected me to pay extra, and I told him he was scamming me.  He protested and suggested i call the Better Business Bureau to verify that DirectTV is legitimate.

At that point, I suggested that he learn to speak English better before trying such a scam again. I hung up.

This sounds like a trick someone unaware could fall for. 

Freddie

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2024, 07:08:43 AM »

I've found that legitimate U.S. business often have phone people from foreign countries answering the customer service calls.

Freddie

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2024, 07:10:17 AM »

Sleep not good. Resting on a heating pad.

Sending more healing vibes!

Freddie

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2024, 07:10:57 AM »

Great story from vixmom, and what a genius way to get that flag removed. That last guy you talked to knew just who to dispatch to get the job done!

LOL!

Freddie

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2024, 07:15:35 AM »

Rodzinski, sorry to hear about that scary dream of the biting dog!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2024, 07:41:48 AM »

Wordle 1,089 3/6

⬜🟨⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That's great, Vixmom!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

George

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2024, 07:45:24 AM »

He wanted to know if I had received my letter from Social Security regarding an upcoming increase.  I pondered that for a moment and remembered I had received such a letter.

He asked me to get the letter in hand so he could guide me through it.  I thought about that one for a moment as well.  After all, I have been reading my own letters since I was in the first grade nearly 70 years ago.

I told him I kept the letter but couldn't remember where I put it.  He suggested I find it while he waited.

Just a wee bit exasperated, I told him I was not inclined to go rummaging around discarded mail.  What was so important about the letter?  So far as I know, I will not be one of the recipients of the increase.

He said, "Never mind.  Just tell me what you draw monthly from Social Security."

I said, "No, that's just none of your business.  Have a nice day."  I hung up.

I immediately googled to see if this was a scam ongoing around the country.  There are scams, but I couldn't find one exactly like this one. 

It later dawned on me that this guy never identified himself.  He simply assumed an "officious" tone.

Oh, my goodness! :o

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2024, 09:21:54 AM »

From DR Vixmom:

Oh, when they took away the broken pole, the flag went with it .

Yay, but such a drastic way to get it removed ;)

Jane

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2024, 09:22:54 AM »

From Vixmom:

It seems somehow poetic that an electric car made the disagreeable rag go away

;D

Jane

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2024, 09:24:44 AM »

It is sad what the flag has come to mean to many of us thanks to the "patriots" who feel the need to fly it everywhere.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2024, 09:33:29 AM »

From DR George:
I knew this 98 year old woman who had been living alone since her husband died a few years ago.  Then, for about a year, her son just had someone come in twice a day to help with her breakfast and meds and to help her get ready for bed.  Then about six months ago, she went from that to needing 24 hour care, to needing to be moved to a home facility, to dying just a couple of weeks ago. :-\

:(

Jane

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2024, 09:35:11 AM »

That was quite a tale, DR vixmom.

It sure was.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up