Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BLANK PAGE  (Read 77932 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:THE BLANK PAGE
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2005, 06:35:04 AM »

If there's one thing I think this country desperately needs it's strict campaign reforms, along with crack downs on PACs and soft money.  As long as it's possible to buy a politician one way or another, nothing will ever be done that is truly for the good of the people.  

I'm no fool--I know that no matter what comes along the pike in the way of reforms that there will always be some form of graft and corruption.  But the way things are set up now, even the most sincere and honest of politician will eventually find him/herself in someone's pocket.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2005, 06:41:39 AM »

Page Two Dance:

(I had another one here but it was too disturbing.  This one is nicer...)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2005, 06:58:26 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY , DR WILLIAM E. LURIE!!![/move][/color]
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2005, 07:14:55 AM »

Harry and Tonto on DVD?  I am so there!  

Paul Mazursky directed a slew of films from about the late 60s to mid 80s that were gems--my favorites being An Unmarried Woman, Next Stop Greenwich Village and Moscow On The Hudson.  I remember distinctively not liking The Tempest, finding it dull, convoluted and pretentious, but I would still like to revisit it some day.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2005, 07:18:10 AM »

I am all alone.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2005, 07:22:19 AM »

There is the temptation to frenze!
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2005, 07:22:37 AM »

I'd like to see Medicaid and the various HMO's , ect etc abolished and replaced with a national health care system.  Perhaps our Canadian friends can give us their opinions on this, but all our relatives in Grande Prairie, Alberta are very pleased with the care they receive.

Also, my sister -in-law informed me that the school taxes they pay go into a general fund and your child can elect to go to any school in the province as they are all fed from the general trough.  Our niece and nephew went to a French immersion Catholic school fom K - Grade 8 and then our neice elected to go to  an English language Catholic School in town and our nephew went to a Theatre Arts High School in Edmonton, there were no additional tuition fees or book fees. It was paid for with the property taxes, which BTW are a third of what we are paying on Long Island.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 07:24:01 AM by vixmom816 »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2005, 07:22:44 AM »

After all, who is here to stop me?
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2005, 07:23:32 AM »

Blast you, woman!
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2005, 07:24:57 AM »

After all, who is here to stop me?

It is I, vixmom816!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2005, 07:29:11 AM »

Curses--foiled again!
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2005, 07:29:56 AM »

I would not allow drivers licenses to be given to non legal  "immigrants"

I would like us to establish a national language (my preference being English) and end the nonsense of government forms being publised in other languages (think of the cost savings there!)

I was applalled when I received my voter registration card in the mail the other day and the entiore thing was printed in both English and Spanish... the last I heard one of the requirements for becoming a American citizen was that you must be able to read and write in English and since only American citizens can vote.......

I would like the INS to do its job

vixmom

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2005, 07:31:29 AM »

Curses--foiled again!

I try to use my powers to support  the forces of good and to support the America way of life!!!! ;D

vixmom

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2005, 07:34:59 AM »

I am not anti-immigrant... all my grandparents were immigrants, I am married to an immigrant I am anti illegal immigrants

vixmom

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2005, 07:35:55 AM »

Now I am frenzying...

Where are you Dan the Man?????

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2005, 07:42:01 AM »

TOD:If you could change one aspect of the way this country is run (and not just by ousting any number of people that you’d like to oust), what would be your solution.

Many of today's problems are caused by an ever increasing and obtrusive government (at all levels) which seeks to fill the vacuum being left because the citizenry has been abdicating personal responsibility. Not only are insufficient voters failing to object to "Big Government", more and more they seem to clamor for it - either through legislation or the courts.

The rapid acceleration of technology has made things possible today that were unheard of when I was young - I pre-date Helicopters, penicillin, national network TV, organ transplants, etc. Until the advent of Polio and the Iron Lung, there was no way the medical system could spend $50,000 on a patient. There was no "instant" communication of disasters. You saw Pathe news footage once a week when you went to the movies. Nobody clamored for prompt help from a central government thousands of miles away.

Throughout most of our nation's history a strong back and a willing attitude were sufficient to enable a man to accumulate the necessities of live. Strong, extended families (formed by attachment of teenagers married for life) formed the basic societal building block. There was always a "frontier" ready to welcome the adventurous or the malcontent: unhappy in "Our Town", move over the mountain!

While I pride myself on a pretty good insight into what's wrong, I'll be damned if I have any simple solution fixes - the cures lie in the education and awareness of the people.

Some fundamental suggestions"

Give the President a line-item veto.

Expand our public educational infrastructure to provide monitored care for all children ages 4-18 for 10 hours a day, five days a week (at least). Our families, and by extension, our Villages, are not providing the necessary nurture for our next generations - until they are ready and able, society must plug the gap.

Provide a "None of the Above" option on all ballots, and count and publicized the results. (At least those elected may get a more realistic evaluation of how the citizenry viewed their candidacy.)

Decriminalize recreational drugs and provide maintenance programs for hard-core drug users.

Eliminate the death penalty - it really doesn't work and costs us enormous amounts of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Question why prisons have better libraries and recreational facilities than most of our public schools!

When all else fails, Whistle a Happy Tune and blame Jose!

der Brucer (if Vixmom can sound like a conservative, I can sound progressive!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2005, 07:45:37 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR William E. Lurie!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2005, 07:47:53 AM »

Good morning!

First order of business this morning was my walk which went swimmingly (walkingly?). These cool mornings make walking SUCH a pleasure, and with no rain in sight for days and days, seems like I'll be walking every morning for the foreseeable future.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2005, 07:49:15 AM »

I've never been a Robert Morse fan, to be honest. Sure, he was perfectly cast in HOW TO SUCCEED, but he always seems gigantically aware of his cuteness, and to me, that's a turn-off.

vixmom

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2005, 07:49:19 AM »

DR VIXMOM816,
Hope the Vixter had a good first day in seventh grade.

Thank you.  She said it went very well and seemed very happy when she got home yesterday.  Her schedule is much better this year as she is not running from one end of the building and from floor to floor as she had to last year, and her locker is centrally located for her classes this year so she does not have to lug her books all day as she did last year.

The Vixter’s story recalled me that there were two-sister bullies near my house when I was 6 or 7 years old, one of them was younger than me and the other was older than me, and they threw small rocks at me  every time I went out from the door of my house.  I told it my mother and she protected strongly about it to their mother BUT surprisingly she said only that she didn’t care about children’s fight (it’s not fight!).  >:(  Thankfully, the evil family moved out a few months later.  :)

I am glad that the nasty girls moved away.  Unfortunately the response their mother gave to yours is all too common here .  A bully's parents often say  "the kids are just being kids" and "kids have to have to work these things out themselves"... Silly me, I thought a parent's role was supposed to be one of guidance and educating their children as to how to behave in a polite and civilized society

Its easy to say the kids have to work in out themselves when its not your kid being taunted, tripped, pushed etc etc.  I would be appalled if I ever heard that the Vixter was doing something to injure another person physically or spiritually.....

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2005, 07:50:44 AM »

I think I'll have to pass on the topic of the day. I just make it a policy not to discuss politics, and there is no way to discuss improving the country without getting into it.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2005, 07:52:28 AM »

A parent who says that "children need to work these things out themselves" is being an irresponsible parent.

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2005, 07:53:21 AM »

TOD:
I would start with teaching citizenship in school from 1st through 12th grade, and posting the Golden Rule. It might take a few generations to really impact, but that is the trickle down theory.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2005, 07:54:59 AM »

We are still in the midst of a gas crisis. The pipelines which supplied our part of the East Coast were shut down during Katrina, and with the panic this caused here, many stations closed their pumps for lack of fuel. The delivery of fuel supposedly is back on schedule, but there are no overages, and stations sell their allotment quickly and put the "out of gas" sacks over the pumps by midday.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2005, 07:56:43 AM »

I picked up a couple of wonderful DVD treats yesterday..THE HAMMER collection (with several of my favorite Hammer horror films...1962s Phantom of the Opera, being one of them!) and the BELA LUGOSI collection (with The Black Cat, Murders in the Rue Morgue, etc). I had hoped to be able to watch some of them this weekend, but my mom will be staying with me for a whole week, beginning on Saturday....which means all I will be watching are John Wayne and Tom Tyler westerns! LOL!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 07:57:27 AM by MBarnum »

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2005, 07:57:59 AM »

The mail just came, and RED GARTERS is MINE!! I know exactly what I'll be watching today.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2005, 08:00:11 AM »

I want to hear your thoughts about this THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, DR MBarnum. I saw this on TV many years ago and found it very slow-moving. It was on a commercial network, so maybe all the ads slowed down the pace of the viewing.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2005, 08:01:26 AM »

Not in the mail today are THE STING and the GARBO collection. Perhaps they'll arrive tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2005, 08:05:41 AM »

Looking forward to the new ROCKY & BULLWINKLE set (season 3) which also came today. I have loved these shows since childhood, and find them even more delightful now.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2005, 08:06:48 AM »

Any thoughts on the season finale of RENO 911!, DR George? I haven't watched it yet. I opted to watch RESCUE ME live last night and let the DVR catch RENO 911! I should get to it sometime today.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up