Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOST WITH THE MOST ON THE BALL  (Read 84948 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE HOST WITH THE MOST ON THE BALL
« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2005, 02:43:22 PM »

Oh... Well, I guess you can blame me for that.  The Governor only asked me to proof the text not check the numbers.

;)

Wasn't the phone sex number yours?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 02:44:00 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2005, 02:45:37 PM »

I think I mentioned here the other day that tomorrow night, the theater where I did NUNCRACKERS and LA CAGE AUX FOLLES is having a celebration of the past season on the eve of their new season beginning. We were told just food and frolic so I was looking forward to it since I had principal roles in 2/5 of their productions this season.

While I was out today, I got a call from one of the two directors I worked for asking me to do the "Sister Julia" monologue from NUNCRACKERS at the party tomorrow night. I get this call one day before the celebration!

When I called her back to say "no way" (have no script and certainly don't remember a two page monologue I performed back in December), she was surprised! I mentioned I would be glad to sing "A CHristmas Box" from the show since I had the cast recording of the show and could rehearse tonight and be ready for that. I was told the music director of that show (and LA CAGE) would be there but wasn't interested in playing for the party entertainment.

So, I left it with her. I'd sing "A Christmas Box" or nothing. She then called back and asked if I'd sing solo backup for "It's Better to Give Than Receive" (the finale of the show). I said I could do that, but that there were FOUR of us singing harmony behind the lead singer, and I didn't think one person singing in the background would sound very good.

[sigh] What a day!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2005, 02:46:18 PM »

Wasn't the phone sex number yours?

I don't give out my private 900-number.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2005, 02:46:50 PM »

And as for something from LA CAGE, that director has yet to call me at all. Amazing!

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2005, 02:48:32 PM »

The home theater installation went very well this morning and early afternoon. I guess I'm getting the hang of this after doing it for myself and several others.

Glad to have that behind me, however. I'm always afraid something isn't going to work properly, and I'll be in the dark about how to get it working.

Matt H.

« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2005, 02:50:27 PM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS (OBC)
        THE FROGS (OBC)

DVD - ANNA KARENINA
          the Garbo documentary
          CAMILLE

DVR - believe it or not, left over from TWO weeks ago

ROMEO AND JULIET (1936)
          THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET (1934)

Matt H.

« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2005, 02:52:30 PM »

I listened to THE FROGS in its entirety on the drive back home from my friends' home today.

Not a great score, but I did enjoy three of the numbers a lot. Did Roger Bart run away with any part of the show that Nathan Lane wasn't stealing for himself? He is priceless on the cast recording. Also enjoyed hearing Peter Bartlett (Nigel the butler on my soap ONE LIFE TO LIVE) as Pluto. He's always a joy to see and hear.

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2005, 02:54:41 PM »

And because I had to make an early start this morning, I didn't get to do my walk or any exercising. I will have to make up for that lapse tomorrow morning.

It got up to 87 here today, and it's still too warm out now for me to walk comfortably.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2005, 02:55:29 PM »

I'm so very sorry, DR JRand. If you've been in theater for any length of time, you've had at least one of those experiences. For me it was DAMN YANKEES, a vanity production from the word "go," and one of the most painful experiences I've ever been associated with with untalented and miscast leads and a production that screamed AMATEUR with a capital "A."

I wanted to CRAWL off the stage every night after the overture.

On July 20th (check it out), I posted my story about "The Mis-Carriage of Figaro" when I performed in Amadeus..  Truly horrendous. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2005, 02:58:15 PM »

And my friends treated me to a scrumptuous Chinese lunch today for getting them back into the home theater world.

I have to admit, I also calibrated their HDTV which I've been longing to do for two years. I never had an excuse before today to do it, but I explained that the color guns inside (they have an older CRT rear projection display but not a microdisplay device that doesn't need converging) had drifted out of allignment during the move and needed to be converged. Once I did that, I went ahead and calibrated everything else, too (color, contrast, sharpness, tint), and it looks SO much better.

George

« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2005, 03:02:09 PM »

I saw that Hal Linden-Lee Remick I DO! I DO! a million years ago, but I've never owned a copy, and would love to have one if one exists someplace.

If you wouldn't mind a VHS copy, I could copy my tape.  I feel that I've asked my sister's boyfriend to make DVDs from videos just a little to often and I don't want to abuse the privilege...at least, not yet. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2005, 03:04:06 PM »

Good afternoon, fellow Dear Readers.

I honestly do not know why DR Stuart is choosing to leave. I hope it wasn't something I said. I don't recall Stuart being involved in any controversial stuff at all. And I wish DR Jay would come back.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2005, 03:05:35 PM »

If you wouldn't mind a VHS copy, I could copy my tape.  I feel that I've asked my sister's boyfriend to make DVDs from videos just a little to often and I don't want to abuse the privilege...at least, not yet. ;)

That's a very sweet gesture, DR George. Thank you. Anything would be fine - beggars can't be, well, you know.

And if you know of any videos I have that you might like to have a copy, don't hesitate to let me know.

Matt H.

« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2005, 03:09:25 PM »

A friend wants to come over to see the new DVD of THE STING, so I have that all ready to show if he decides to come over. Otherwise, I will finally get to those Garbo DVDs.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2005, 03:25:21 PM »

I don't give out my private 900-number.

;D

They were going to give a prize to the man you hadn't given it to.  They're still looking.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2005, 03:27:01 PM »

Now that is truly funny.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2005, 03:27:07 PM »

I'm SO on the wrong coast!  LOL

George

« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2005, 03:41:14 PM »

You and me both! ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2005, 03:44:04 PM »

My innocent eyes cannot read these comments without a blush spreading over my facial cheeks, so I must leave now and go watch some DVDs.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2005, 03:45:45 PM »

BK - My "get" post was posted before I headed over to the "Rewind" site...

And after reading the excerpt, I have to say I did get it.  And had a few "inside joke" giggles, is that makes sense.

And I'm not being disingenuous.

And once I have a few more "discretionary funds" at my disposal, I shall catch up on my CD and book buying.  -New York has been very good to me over the past couple of weeks, but everyone wants to be invoiced now.   And as you mentioned in regards to your payments, it's amazing how fast people want the invoices and products compared to how slow they reimburse you.

I KNEW you would get it, and I'm glad you're not being disingenuous, even though I like using that word whenever possible.  

The slow pay is really getting to me, and is a real problem.  I now write on all invoices, "please pay upon receipt".  I'm here to tell you that my vendors invoice me so fast it makes my head spin, usually in a day.  I'm on a net fifteen with most of them, so I'm always waiting for these stores to pay ME so I can pay THEM.  The mail doesn't help - Footlight told me they sent a check three weeks ago - never arrived.  They're sending another now.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2005, 03:49:17 PM »

Re The Sting: The esteemed Robert Harris, the man who knows everything there is to know about film preservation and what transfers should look like, has proclaimed The Sting one of the finest he's ever seen.  Which means to me that he's completely lost his mind, or someone at Universal asked or paid him to say it.  And everyone bows in deference like the ridiculous sheep they are.  He also thought To Kill a Mockingbird looked GREAT, even though he admits that the camera neg was not used and has "parts missing" and that the fine grain masters which were used are of "varying quality."  

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2005, 04:09:45 PM »

I'm slowly moving over to the "Wicked" side of the fence.  It's playing on CD player on the computer and I'm sort of enjoying it.  A lot of my students want to sing from "Wicked", and we're finding it rather difficult, not knowing when to belt, when to mix, etc...

I'm learning a lot about teaching voice as I actually teach voice, a lot from my students and a lot as we expand on the techniques that we use.  We had a break through with "Popular" yesterday, some of those vowels are hard to belt (too high) and hard to "mix" (an "oh" vowel) but we worked around it and found a solution.  These are the lessons I love best.

François de Paris

« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2005, 04:11:49 PM »

DR Stuart; it would be FOOLISH of you to leave this site, you hear????

You don't have to follow your brother's "exemple" you know!
Some readers can hurt feelings at time but don't let them get the best of you!

I know "some" are OPENLY francophobe (YES!) but so many are francophile SO..... And, strictly entre nous, I don't represent France here at all, so i don't care if some Americans do not like the French! I'm a citizen of the World!

BRING BACK STUART!

That's it: Bring Back Stuart is the title of my next book for a musical! Oy!

François de Paris

« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2005, 04:15:22 PM »

Good afternoon, fellow Dear Readers.

I honestly do not know why DR Stuart is choosing to leave. I hope it wasn't something I said. I don't recall Stuart being involved in any controversial stuff at all. And I wish DR Jay would come back.

I'm sure it has something to do with some of the gorgeous pictures you've printed here lately! Oh yes! it has.... ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2005, 04:19:19 PM »

They were going to give a prize to the man you hadn't given it to.  They're still looking.

Well, Larry! With friends like you....... :D ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2005, 04:22:11 PM »

Media check:

-- I know you've ALL been waiting for my list!!;-) --

Jane Powell
Lots of "2 on 1 cd" of young Andy Williams.
Good Old Bad Old Days.
And the London cast of GONE WITH THE WIND.

George

« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2005, 04:29:46 PM »

Okay, here's a Twilight Zone moment...I'm at work (for a library) ordering books and listening to a CD that I made of the DVD to "Jerry Herman's Broadway at the Hollywood Bowl" live concert.  The title that I just searched was "Before the Parade Passes By:  Gower Champion and the Glorious American Musical" by John Anthony Gilvey.  At the exact moment that I saw the title on my computer screen, Lee Roy Reams started singing that song!  Weird, ain't it? ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2005, 04:31:02 PM »

Okay, here's a Twilight Zone moment...I'm at work (for a library) ordering books and listening to a CD that I made of the DVD to "Jerry Herman's Broadway at the Hollywood Bowl" live concert.  The title that I just searched was "Before the Parade Passes By:  Gower Champion and the Glorious American Musical" by John Anthony Gilvey.  At the exact moment that I saw the title on my computer screen, Lee Roy Reams started singing that song!  Weird, ain't it? ;D

Given that Lee Roy Reams was THE singular sensation of that concert, I'd call it "kismet."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2005, 04:35:18 PM »

Big Brother 6 Spoilage:

Janelle has made her nominations, and tears flowed despite the fact that they knew SOMEbody would have to be nominated.

I'm thinking Janelle is being very crafty here...and she may be planning something.

First, if she wins the veto, she can leave her nominations alone, or she can work a deal with one of the nominees to be saved ONLY if she votes out the one Janelle wants.

Given the riskiness of dealing with the fiendsheep, the other alternative is that she wants to hurt April's chances in the final two by forcing her to evict either Ivette or Maggie...whichever she selects, she will be marked in the sequester house and votes will split.

With Ivette and Maggie on the block, it's a win-win for Janelle no matter what.  And since she's in all the competitions from here on out, she has a better than even chance, IMO, of being in the final two.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2005, 04:36:33 PM »

That's our JoseSPiano!  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up