Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FLUFF STRANDS  (Read 80387 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:FLUFF STRANDS
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2005, 04:39:39 AM »

OH!  WOW!  Only 7:40am on a Saturday morning, and we're already starting Page 3... On a Saturday!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2005, 04:40:55 AM »

Hmm... What to dance?  What to dance?

Maybe just some nice stretching since it's still so relatively early on a Saturday morning.  Although, I guess T'AI CHI could be considered balletic at times.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2005, 04:45:34 AM »

It's another gorgeous morning here in NYC.  The walk to the PathMark was brisk and refreshing. I didn't mind being up so early (relatively speaking).

Lots of restocking going on at the grocery store.  Lots of endcaps getting arranged.  New sale signs being posted.  And customers at the cash register already "fighting" with the cashiers, sale flyers in hand, showing them that that box of cereal is indeed on sale as of this morning...

As for myself, I picked up some mints (I'm partial to those Eclipse ones, Winterfrost) so that my breath will not be offensive to the auditionees when they sit next to me; some granola bars to sustain me during the hours of auditions; and some Drake's Devil Dogs, because... well, just because.  -And they were on sale too!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2005, 04:45:57 AM »

OMG, it's not even 8:00, and I think I've solved the main part of the trivia contest already.  What am I going to do with the rest of the morning?

Re earlier posts:  Has anyone else already used the joke that the reason Guy Haines grows on you is because he's a "FUN-GUY"?  Or was that the basic gist of BK's fungus joke earlier?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2005, 04:47:57 AM »

On the walk back from the grocery store, I stopped at one of those hole-in-the-building restaurants - the ones with the counters right at the sidewalk - and picked up a bagel with a schmear, and two donuts.  I was hoping to give the donuts to Joshua and Sarah/Sara, but they were gone by the time I got back.  Ah, well...  Guess I'll leave the donuts for my roomies.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2005, 04:49:02 AM »

OMG, it's not even 8:00, and I think I've solved the main part of the trivia contest already.  What am I going to do with the rest of the morning?

Well... There's always the rest of the trivia question.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2005, 04:52:23 AM »

And now I'm just trying to think if Joshua lives in my building.  There are only three other units, and I believe I've seen the other occupants.  Or maybe I haven't.

I was able to glean from their conversation that Sarah/Sara lives in Washington Heights - 185th and Ft. Washington, I believe.  And now that I think of it, well, process it, I don't think Joshua lives in my building since he wasn't sure at all where his sister lived when she mentioned where she lived.  Hmm.. I wonder if one of Joshua's ex's lives in this building.  Or maybe they just picked a random stoop to sit on.

Hmmm...  Guess I'll never get the answer to those questions...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2005, 04:57:26 AM »

Yeah, I may try to stretch the trivia question out a bit.  

Topin of the Day:

Flop Play - Joan Rivers' FUN CITY - I adored her and the play, bless its mean-spirited heart, but it was shellacked by the critics.

Flop Musical - THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE GOES PUBLIC - I didn't particularly like the show, but it's one of those instances where the Sunday Times critic (Canby) really liked it while the daily Times critic hated it, and it bothered me that the Sunday times critic had no impact.

Flop Revival - GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES - I just have a block where KT Sullivan is concerned, I just love her, and I loved Geroge Dvorsky, and on and on.  And it was my first real exposure to the show, so I was grateful that it was done at all.

FJL

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2005, 05:02:29 AM »

Speaking of the Alamo (and people were in last night's postings), a movie that I think is vastly underrated is VIVA MAX starring Peter Ustinov.  It's a bit shaggy in its filming, but its basic story (a general tries to recapture the Alamo in the 1960's to impress a woman) was so moving to me.  And a musical title theme that is simply amazing, IMHO.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2005, 05:04:59 AM »

Hmmm...

So..  What if it does turn out that I run into Joshua down in Charlotte over the next two days during SETCs?  Hmm...

Sounds like book in the making, or at least an outline.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2005, 05:08:20 AM »

Good morning, all!  HOW'S IT HANGING, BARNUM? will be the title of my next book.

I cannot believe at 8 am, we're on page three!  I'm debating whether to work on the chart for Faith Prince or to go into the office and play Sherlock Holmes with Ira Gershwin and Harold Arlen.  This Arlen concert in Chicago is getting its cast together:  so far, Stuart Ross of The Plaiids is directing, and they've signed Christine Ebersole, Ron Raines, and Noah Racey.  Yesterday, the folks at the Humanities Festival confirmed ny being in Chicago the last week of October for the Nov. 4 concert and rehearsals.

Also, yesterday, I got lost in a huge restoration question on "You're A Builder Upper" and I'm still pondering decisions and the fallout:  which intro of the two existing ones and second sung refrain in C or F since I have two choices in the full scores?

Maybe I'll stay here with Miss Prince.

I got an email from DRJoey, who's been suffering from a dead computer and its repair for the past two weeks.  He says he'll be back soon and sends everyone his regards.  

DRJose, have a safe trip and get back to us New Yawkers ASAP.

TOD:  I;ve seen two shows that deserved runs out of the many shows I've seen that did deservedly die immediately:  BIRDS OF PARADISE at the Promenade and RAGS with Teresa Stratas, which was a mess in Act Two but deserved a run because there were too many wonderful things about it to give it a longer run.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2005, 05:27:54 AM »

And speaking of books, I do hope to be one of the first fifty orderers of "Rewind", and I should be able to place my order sometime Tuesday morning.  (-Meaning after I get paid on Monday.  ;))

I was among the first couple of people to order the Benjamin Kritzer books as well as "Writer's Block" - even if it did take me a few months after receiving to read them.  And enjoy them.  I just don't want to break my streak of getting those sparkling extras.

And if I end up getting a bonus (which usually does happen lately :)), I'll see about splurging on the Kritzerland CD releases too.  I just haven't bought that many CDs at all over the past couple of months, and the few that I have bought have been in relation to offers for work, potential projects.

Yes, I've sort of been watching my pennies over the past couple of months due to the move, but while packing up things, I came across way too many CDs that were still wrapped in plastic, never opened.  And I vowed to get them unwrapped and played.  I've made some headway through that pile, but there's still quite a few to go.

-But I have a feeling that once I receive "New Guy In Town" and/or "After the Ball" and/or "Stage/Together Again" and/or the Jones/Schmidt disc and/or Kevin Spirtas' single, I'm sure they'll find their way to the head of queue.  Or at least the top of the pile.  ;)

*However, if it turns out that when I order "Rewind" on Tuesday - or possibly Wednesday... ;) - that I'm not among the first 50, well, I guess that's a good thing too, if you get my drift. -And I think BK gets my drift in that regards.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2005, 05:27:56 AM »

5:30am here on the west coast and I'm up I'm up!!!   It's cold this morning.  So, I lit some candles at my desk, read the notes and am contimplating attacking the trivia, but most pleasurable of all, the new Harvey Schmidt is playing and I'm finding it quite enjoyable!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2005, 05:34:00 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Well, I haven't seen that many flops, but the few that I have deserved to flop.  So...

However, I did see the small-scale "revival" of Rags that American Jewish Theatre did a couple of years ago - Ann Crumb and Crista Moore were in the leads.  I thought that should have moved on to bigger and better places.  In fact, during The Golden Apple rehearsals, I got to talk to Ann Crumb about that production.  She mentioned that it was supposed to move, Lincoln Center was going to pick it up.  It was on.  It was off.  It was on again.  But then they, Lincoln Center, decided to pick up Falsettos.  And the rest, as they say, is history.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2005, 05:37:16 AM »

Well, my alarm just went off...  ;)

Time to pack.  Which shouldn't take too long at all.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2005, 05:42:20 AM »

5:30am here on the west coast and I'm up I'm up!!!   It's cold this morning.  So, I lit some candles at my desk . . .

DRMatthew, are you singing "mi chiamano Mimi" as you work in your garret?  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2005, 05:48:25 AM »

DRMatthew, are you singing "mi chiamano Mimi" as you work in your garret?  

Well, I just heard a window being slammed shut in the apartment complex, so I've just stopped singing.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2005, 05:51:06 AM »

On the subject of internet reviewers, most sites designed specifically for DVDs have these teens or twenty-somethings doing these "reviews," and they are indeed infuriating to read.

Nothing turns me off faster that to begin reading a review where the reviewer admits to his shortcomings: "I'm not really a fan of movie musicals; I just don't get them," or "Black and white films died with the dodo but here I am reviewing one."

I have offered my services free of charge to a number of sites, but those in charge don't think someone over 50 could possibly have anything revelant to say to them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2005, 06:12:14 AM »

DR Jose - When did Lincoln Center Theater do FALSETTOS?  were they involved with the Weissler's Broadway production?

Well, for better or worse, I put my trivia guesses in.  I think this is the earliest I've ever gotten them in, which'll mean nothing (even to me) if any of the guesses turn out to be wrong.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2005, 06:34:52 AM »

DR Jose - When did Lincoln Center Theater do FALSETTOS?  were they involved with the Weissler's Broadway production?

Well, for better or worse, I put my trivia guesses in.  I think this is the earliest I've ever gotten them in, which'll mean nothing (even to me) if any of the guesses turn out to be wrong.

Hmmm... Lincoln Center... Weisslers... Jujamcyn... Hmmm...

I could have sworn I heard Ann Crumb mention Lincoln Center...  I shall have to clarify the whole producerial end of things at a later date, in any case...

Whoever - or perhaps wherever - was going to pick up Rags, it was between Rags and Falsettos.  And Falsettos ended up drawing the longer straw.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2005, 06:37:02 AM »

And now that I'm packed... Which took a little longer than planned since I started getting fussy.  The clothes were done in five minutes, but then came making sure I had all the power power cords and chargers for my computer, my PDA, my cell phone, etc.  Then I had to shuffle some toiletries around from case to case.  Yadda-yadda-yadda...

So...  I'll see if I can log on from La Guardia - which reminds me that I should check-in online now (so that I can get the extra frequent flyer miles)...

So...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2005, 06:40:22 AM »

I am very very sorry that I did not send best first night wishes and leg breakings to DRs Jed and TCB on the occasion of their CHARLEY'S AUNT opening.

I had it in my day planner, but as yesterday was such a full day with my being away from home for many hours and then trying to squeeze in my usual DVD viewing and computing, it just got overlooked.

Again, very sorry, and belated great wishes for your second performance tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2005, 06:42:44 AM »

Good morning from me!

I got up early and was out on my walk before 8:00. It was very cool, and the walk just made me feel so good.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2005, 06:43:33 AM »

Of course, in just a minute, I'll be jumping off-line in order to do that heinous kitchen mopping chores that got put off yesterday. Bleech!

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2005, 06:47:55 AM »

I found some upcoming DVD news on the web this morning:

First, the 60th Anniversary DVD of Rodgers and Hammerstein's STATE FAIR (1945) is coming on November 15th.

Now, the movie has been out on a single disc edition for a long time, but this is the edition you have to buy if you want the 1962 remake of STATE FAIR with Pat Boone and Ann-Margret. It will not be sold separately but is included as a bonus extra on the second disc in the DVD set.

A new two disc edition (anamorphic finally) of OKLAHOMA! will also be available on November 15th along with yet another remastered release for THE SOUND OF MUSIC.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 06:55:41 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2005, 06:51:21 AM »

Three more Shirley Temple movies will be released in the next boxed set of her features, but as with the first box which had HEIDI which had already been released earlier, this new box will contain BRIGHT EYES which has already been released once by Fox.

The other two features will be BABY TAKE A BOW and REBECCA OF SUNNYBROOK FARM.

I must say, I'm really surprised they've chosen BABY and REBECCA as the next two. I'd think CAPTAIN JANUARY would have been a natural as well as THE LITTLE COLONEL or POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL. Oh, well, not my call. I'm glad to get two more new ones.

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2005, 06:53:58 AM »

Three more Fox FIlm Noirs are on tap for December 6th, and they are GEMS:

KISS OF DEATH
THE DARK CORNER
WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS

Can't wait to get these!

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2005, 06:57:52 AM »

OK, enough already! I'm prepping for the kitchen mopping, so I'll sign off now and be back later.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2005, 06:58:31 AM »

It is kind of lonely in here at that!

:(

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2005, 07:02:40 AM »

I didn't even answer on the topic of the day.

The flop musical that I had NO trouble championing is THE HAPPY TIME.

I think it's one of the great unsung treasures of 1960s musicals, a victim of the wrong theater and a group of angry critics who were kept waiting on opening night (while another critic got there late; see THE SEASON for the full story) and took it out on the show.

It had a terrific Kander and Ebb score, charismatic actors giving show stopping performances, and a slight but engaging story. If it had gone into the Golden Theater or the Booth and opened on a night when all the critics could be there on time, I think it would have run over a 1,000 performances.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up