Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FLUFF STRANDS  (Read 80416 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:FLUFF STRANDS
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2005, 05:19:52 PM »

TPunk (aka The Gal) has a decent collection of lunchboxes. I think she has an A-Team and a Strawberry Shortcake and a Buffy the Vampire Slayer...

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2005, 05:21:43 PM »

Today I have been most lazy. Most lazy.

I do own the soundtrack to THE APPLE, that odd Golan-Globus rock musical mentioned earlier. But I will never be convinced to see MOVIN' OUT.

Danise

« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2005, 05:36:35 PM »

I went to the big Walmart over in Brandon and found that they have squirrel food.  

I think my little furry friends will be happy tomorrow.   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2005, 05:44:39 PM »

DR S. Woody White and der B, I really don't know what to say.   There's not much you can do when the problem at the home.  

Those kids will be grateful when they are older that they had you both as examples to look up to.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2005, 06:04:31 PM »

TPunk (aka The Gal) has a decent collection of lunchboxes. I think she has an A-Team and a Strawberry Shortcake and a Buffy the Vampire Slayer...

A couple of years ago the family of one of DS Rob's friends moved into a house and found in their basement a lunchbox that had belonged to my DH Richard in elementary school.  Rob gave it to his dad as a Christmas present.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2005, 06:04:42 PM »

JMK - All of the Fred Meyer stores here in Tacoma have had large displays of lunch boxes over the past few weeks.  i can't understand why they wouldn't have them in Portland.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2005, 06:06:41 PM »

Speaking of football, as DR Jose was earlier, my Michigan Wolverines coughed one up to Notre Dame today.  Glad I was at work and couldn't watch it.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2005, 06:07:04 PM »

Today I have been most lazy. Most lazy.

I do own the soundtrack to THE APPLE, that odd Golan-Globus rock musical mentioned earlier. But I will never be convinced to see MOVIN' OUT.

I am surprised, Rodzinski, why wouldn't you want to see MOVIN' OUT and judge it for yourself?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2005, 06:08:35 PM »

Speaking of football, as DR Jose was earlier, my Michigan Wolverines coughed one up to Notre Dame today.  Glad I was at work and couldn't watch it.

No, DR Ginny, they didn't cough it up, they literally choked it up!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2005, 06:11:02 PM »

I had my first MY FAIR LADY rehearsal today.  It seems like a very ncie group of actors and singers.  Still, it is kind of hard to believe that we open in twenty days.  YIKES!
“One thing’s universal,

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2005, 06:22:50 PM »

JMK - All of the Fred Meyer stores here in Tacoma have had large displays of lunch boxes over the past few weeks.  i can't understand why they wouldn't have them in Portland.

Well that there's the punchline.  Of course they had them.  They just weren't where they had been last year.  After the "food manager" had his little snit fit, I just went over to the "seasonal" aisle and there they were.  Interestingly enough, they were called....lunchboxes.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2005, 06:28:52 PM »

I just don't like Billy Joel at all, thus I would not enjoy the show.

Ginny

« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2005, 06:56:31 PM »

No, DR Ginny, they didn't cough it up, they literally choked it up!

Yeah, yeah, I know, DR TCB.  The guys talking over the film clips during the OSU/Texas halftime report said "Sophomore QB Chad Henne played like a sophomore."  It's gonna be a long autumn.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2005, 08:05:45 PM »

It ran nine months and then toured.  I'm not sure I'd consider it a flop, just not as successful as BAREFOOT IN THE PARK.

The original production may have run nine months, but it did not pay back its investment, and that's why I called it a flop.

I don't think any of Simon's plays since LOST IN YONKERS have paid back in their original runs. I'm sure with all the regional productions and stock shows, they are all in the black, but I was going only by the original show closing at a loss.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2005, 08:07:36 PM »

DR td, what does the infamous JoeCaps think of STAR!, another Fox golden oldie from the same period? I, of course, love it, another example of a flop movie that I loved.

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2005, 08:10:04 PM »

The theater celebration held tonight was mostly enjoyable. I had to sing parts of numbers from NUNCRACKERS and LA CAGE with NO rehearsal (NUNCRACKERS was done last December), but they asked, and I didn't want to act the diva so I gave in and winged it. I HATE DOING THAT! However, it came off without a hitch. Fine for them, but I couldn't enjoy my meal much knowing I was going to have to perform with no rehearsal.

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2005, 08:13:22 PM »

After I got home, I finished watching "The Men Who Made the Movies - George Cukor." There were no new film clips added (which stopped with A STAR IS BORN) even though the commentary had been slightly altered to reflect his death. Would have been nice since they went to the trouble of updating the narration to see a clip or two from MY FAIR LADY, LES GIRLS, his two Marilyn Monroe projects, TRAVELS WITH MY AUNT, and RICH AND FAMOUS, among others.

Still, I'm not complaining really; I'm glad to have it.

Matt H.

« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2005, 08:14:46 PM »

After that finished, I just kept that DVD in the player and began watching the Katharine Hepburn autobiographical documentary "All About Me." I've always loved this feature, and watched about half of it before turning off everything and getting on-line for my last surf before bedtime.

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2005, 08:18:53 PM »

As for tomorrow's DVD menu, I really am at a loss. I'm thinking something gay-themed like IT'S MY PARTY or something that would be campy fun like RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE. I'll see what mood strikes me tomorrow before deciding anything tonight.

And I want to get one of those remaining Norma Shearer movies cleared off the DVR, too, so I may watch ROMEO AND JULIET as well.

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2005, 08:45:24 PM »

Well, it's been another long day, and my eyes are getting very heavy, so I'll trundle off to bed.

Good evening, all.

FJL

« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2005, 08:59:59 PM »

Just got back from TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA and had a fabulous time, even with those hard-on-the-rear-end Delacorte Theater seats.  We had counted on being able to buy those cushy cushions, but they've apparently been out of them for two weeks.  I'm so glad folks on HHW had been expressing their enthusiasm for this show, because I had almost missed it based on the reviews and comments on other chat boards.

Glad someone brought up SWINGING ON A STAR as a show that should have done better.  Since it had gotten a Best Musical Tony nomination, I've tended not to think of SWINGING ON A STAR as getting less adulation than it deserved, but it was a swell time in the theater, although theoretically five mini-jukebox-musicals in one; and Kathleen Marshall's excellent work on TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA brought to mind some of her fine work on SWINGING ON A STAR.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2005, 09:09:25 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, after treating myself to a nice long soak in the tub, I just vegged out in front of the TV.  And now I'm ready for bed.  And after the "sleep" I got last night...

But before I go...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2005, 09:09:59 PM »

DR FJL- Glad to know that you made it to the Delacorte earlier tonight.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2005, 09:24:11 PM »

The theater celebration held tonight was mostly enjoyable. I had to sing parts of numbers from NUNCRACKERS and LA CAGE with NO rehearsal (NUNCRACKERS was done last December), but they asked, and I didn't want to act the diva so I gave in and winged it. I HATE DOING THAT! However, it came off without a hitch. Fine for them, but I couldn't enjoy my meal much knowing I was going to have to perform with no rehearsal.

I learned a long time ago not to fret about these impromptu reunions/retrospectives.  Being a pianist, I've been called upon many a time to contribute to the festivities.  Yes, sometimes I don't feel "ideally" prepared for the event - is anyone ever really going to remember all the words and blocking and notes for a song they performed months ago? - but as long as I keep in mind the following:

-Everyone (or almost everyone) who is in attendance is there because they love theatre.  And I'm assuming this was a private event for those members of the theatre, and not open to the public.

-Everyone else performing is in the same boat preparation-wise.  You're all in it together.  Remember, theatre is a collaborative effort.

-No one is really going to look down on you for going up on a word or fudging a few notes - it's a "performance" not a "production".  And there is that joy - or schaudenfreude - when someone does get stuck.  ;)

-It's LIVE - mistakes happen.  *I've been in attendance after the Kennedy Center Honors when they've had to redo a segment for the broadcast due to some foul up during the ceremony proper.

-And most importantly, as long as I remember that what I'm doing is actually FUN, and that I'm doing something I LOVE... well....

When you care, it's always easy.

And as Frank sort of says in Merrily We Roll Along, you can always say, "No."  'Cause if you're not having fun up there, the audience won't have fun either.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: September 10, 2005, 09:25:33 PM »

But it's good to know that things went off without a hitch.  Hopefully, next time, you'll be able to enjoy your food.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2005, 09:26:29 PM »

I just don't like Billy Joel at all, thus I would not enjoy the show.

Thems fightin' words, DR Rodzinksi!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2005, 09:26:56 PM »

DR FJL: I'm listening to TWO GENTLEMEN now. So much fun. I wish I could see it again before it closes... I wonder how it'd fare if it transferred to the Broad Way...? I agree that Ms. Marshall's work was outstanding. And why is Norm Lewis not a bigger star?!?! And who is Oscar Isaac and when can he come over to visit for a while? And if anyone knows Noah (the blonde kid with the fro), PM me! :)

I've been taking it easy today because I've been fighting off the sniffles and stuffies. Not fun, so I took a nice nap late this afternoon and then prepared a loverly chicken teriyaki stir-fry for myself. My roommates are gone right now, so I had the living room TV to myself, so I popped in my new workout DVD and did some serious ab work. Good times!! Perhaps this is wishful thinking, but honestly - after only two workouts with this Pilates ball - I can see and feel a huge difference in how I'm carrying myself. Oh rapture!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2005, 09:29:36 PM »

I had my first MY FAIR LADY rehearsal today.  It seems like a very ncie group of actors and singers.  Still, it is kind of hard to believe that we open in twenty days.  YIKES!

Well, just remember, it could always be worse... It could be summer stock, and you could only have 20 hours to get the show on it's feet...  And then start rehearsing the next show the morning after opening night.

Been there.  Done that.

8)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2005, 09:30:31 PM »

Re. MOVIN' OUT: I did standing room for that show after the recording session for MOBY DICK and the combination of being exhausted and confused about the plot really made me bored with the show. I totally appreciate what those people were doing onstage - there's no way I could even THINK about doing what John Selya does/did - but it's just not my kind of show. And I like Billy Joel's music! I may be sacrificed for this, but...I'm not a huge Twyla fan. There, I've said it.

I usually see everything at least twice. I've only seen MOVIN' OUT once, and that was enough for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2005, 09:31:01 PM »

DR FJL: I'm listening to TWO GENTLEMEN now. So much fun. I wish I could see it again before it closes... I wonder how it'd fare if it transferred to the Broad Way...? I agree that Ms. Marshall's work was outstanding. And why is Norm Lewis not a bigger star?!?! And who is Oscar Isaac and when can he come over to visit for a while? And if anyone knows Noah (the blonde kid with the fro), PM me! :)

DR Jason - Actually, Noah is one of the best friends of my roommate, Megan.  So...

Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up