Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BLACKOUT  (Read 88663 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:BLACKOUT
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2005, 01:23:54 PM »

I watched about 30 minutes of the Norma Shearer/Leslie Howard ROMEO AND JULIET today while I was cooking and eating my lunch.

You certainly can see the $2 million dollars spent on this production. A huge cast, dazzling costumes (the ball scene is staggering in the wardrobe department), really opulent settings.

I noticed that William Daniels did shoot Norma Shearer's close-ups with a soft focus lens (she was in her early 30s).

Since all of the youthful characters are much older than the parts they're playing, it kind of works. And they've made the more mature characters like Capulet and the Nurse much older to compensate.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2005, 01:27:58 PM »

Page 6 Dance!!!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2005, 01:29:57 PM »

BK answered the question about BLACK NARCISSUS. It stars Deborah Kerr if that helps you make up your mind. She won the NY Film Critics' Best Actress award for her performance, and she was eminently worthy of it!

I will have to pick  it up.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2005, 01:31:02 PM »

Later in the afternoon, I started LADY JANE. I adore the Tudor period of Enlgish history and the complexities surrounding the succession after the death of Edward VI have always been fascinating to me. I've never seen this movie in its entirety, so I am eager to finish it.

The first 50 minutes or so look fine for the most part. I saw part of a laserdisc of LADY JANE at a friend's house some years ago, and it looked just awful - lacking color and sharpness. Those problems seem to have been remedied for most of what I've seen thus far. Hope it continues looking this good.

vixmom

« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2005, 01:31:43 PM »

We've returned to mid-summer conditions today. I knew it didn't feel particularly cool on my walk this morning, and it's hot and a bit sticky outside.

When fall finally arrives, I'm going to have a HUGE grin on my face.

iwas going to ask you if you were being affected by the hurrican Ophelia but I guess you are far enough inland to be safe.  I have forgootn exactly where  you are in the Carolinas....

the memory is the first thing to go..... ::)

Matt H.

« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2005, 01:34:45 PM »

With three solid hours of TV to watch tonight (and an hour to record - SUPERNATURAL), DVDs will pretty much go on the back burner, but I would like to finish LADY JANE tonight if I could.

Jason

« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2005, 01:36:13 PM »

DR DtM: The top ticket price that I found on a BARGAIN (!) ticket site was $239 - and that was before the $15 surcharge. And the site required that you buy a pair of tickets at that price. You could either buy 2 or 4 - that was the only choice.

Ridic.

I'm just going to go an enjoy myself as much as I can without feeling too guilty for screwing up my plans with Russell. But I really do feel bad about it right now...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2005, 01:36:18 PM »

MattH:  you may know this already, but Lady Jane's score is by Stephen Oliver, who wrote a kind of UK Pippin called Blondel (lyrics by Tim Rice).  Evidently the show stank, but the CD is great IMHO.  Mr. Oliver sadly died at a very young age not long after these two accomplishments.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2005, 01:36:36 PM »

iwas going to ask you if you were being affected by the hurrican Ophelia but I guess you are far enough inland to be safe.  I have forgootn exactly where  you are in the Carolinas....

the memory is the first thing to go..... ::)

We're only 20 miles from the South Carolina line, so the southern part of NC midway across the state.

No, right now, we aren't in Ophelia's path. But one stays alert at this time of year since you never know what might happen.

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2005, 01:39:11 PM »

MattH:  you may know this already, but Lady Jane's score is by Stephen Oliver, who wrote a kind of UK Pippin called Blondel (lyrics by Tim Rice).  Evidently the show stank, but the CD is great IMHO.  Mr. Oliver sadly died at a very young age not long after these two accomplishments.

I saw his name in the credits, but I wasn't familiar with him. Thanks for the info on BLONDEL which, of course, I've never heard of. Too bad BLONDELL didn't have a Bob Fosse to mold a slight story into something unique and entirely theatrical.

vixmom

« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2005, 01:43:55 PM »

We're only 20 miles from the South Carolina line, so the southern part of NC midway across the state.

No, right now, we aren't in Ophelia's path. But one stays alert at this time of year since you never know what might happen.

I know what you mean, the last "bad" hurricane I saw here on the Island of Long was Gloria back in 1986 . The inconvenience of no electricity  for  a week now seems small compared to what the people  on the Gulf Coast are experinecing now, although I WAS living in a basement apartment and didn't have any windows.....

***Knocks wood furiously***

But this time I year I always make sure we have plenty of ice, the cooler is handy, the battery run lanterns and radio are all given fresh batteries and extra batteries are put by and we get in a case of bottled water.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 01:49:01 PM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2005, 01:50:33 PM »

We;ll time to wrap uo the day and head on home laters gators

Matt H.

« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2005, 01:53:25 PM »

I have some chores to take care of and a birthday gift to wrap, too, so I will sign off now.

WBBL.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2005, 02:05:03 PM »

He also wrote the score and songs to the 9-hour The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby with Roger Rees.  I have the album and the songbook to that show.  When I was in college at Western Washington University, the head of the music department looked at the songbook and liked Oliver's arrangement of "God Bless Ye Merry, Gentlemen" and the (non-audition) University Choir sang it in one of their concerts. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2005, 02:15:29 PM »

I'm supposed to have the Ben-Hur DVD tomorrow - along with the new DVDs of Psycho II and III (the latter by our very own Pogue).

Here is a Ben-Hur comparison - these captures would certainly lead one to believe that the new transfer is better - certainly the color and the framing are.  I do think I see a hint of a FLUFF STRAND though.  

http://www.thecinemalaser.com/

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 02:26:52 PM by bk »

Matt H.

« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2005, 02:34:42 PM »

DR Michael Shayne:

Here is a link to another review. It's got too many grammatical errors for me to endorse, but the writer does try to deal with the entire set of discs.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=17563

Matt H.

« Reply #166 on: September 13, 2005, 02:41:03 PM »

Here's the VARIETY review by Timothy Gray:

Many DVD "special editions" are cynical attempts to seduce consumers into buying something they already own. But, four years after Warner Home Video's last edition of "Ben-Hur," the company is putting out a DVD set that merits the revisit. In keeping with the mega-scope of the biblical epic, this collector's edition offers four discs with 10 hours of extras, including a smart documentary and the 1925 silent version of the pic, making its DVD debut.
When MGM's film bowed in 1959, comic Mort Sahl famously wisecracked, "Loved him, hated Hur." That dichotomy has followed the film over the years, with fans proclaiming it one of the pinnacles of Hollywood filmmaking, and detractors rolling their eyes at its oversized style mixed with an old-fashioned sensibility.

Even the film's detractors may be converted after listening to the info in the DVD's docus. "Ben-Hur: The Epic That Challenged Cinema," produced and directed by Gary Leva, offers folks like George LucasGeorge Lucas, Ridley ScottRidley Scott, Arnon MilchanArnon Milchan and Michael DouglasMichael Douglas talking about the film's influence on pics as diverse as "Bullitt," "The Matrix," "Star Wars," "Gladiator" and "The Aviator."

Each of the doc's 10 chapters tackles a different area of study. Cinematographers Janusz Kaminski and Ernest Dickerson talk about "Ben-Hur's" composition and lighting; sound man Ben Burtt praises the audio effects (and lack of music) in the chariot race. In one of the more interesting segments, production designers Anthony Pratt and Arthur Max weigh the virtues of matte paintings vs. CGI vs. actual sets.

Editor Joel Cox, director Frasier Heston and d.p.d.p. Caleb Deschanel offer insights as the doc intercuts the chariot race with the pod-racer sequence from "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace."

Fourth disc includes another good hourlong film that was included in the 2001 DVD, the 1993 Turner Entertainment docudocu "Ben-Hur: The Making of an Epic," produced and directed by Scott Benson and written/co-produced by May Adair Kaiser. The film provides an overview of "Ben-Hur," from the 1880 book by General Lew Wallace, through an early stage version (the chariot race featured horses running on treadmills), the silent pic and the making of the 1959 version, concluding with its then-record-setting 11 Oscar wins.

Footage from the April 4, 1960, kudocast is choppily edited, with winners mysteriously appearing out of nowhere to grab their trophy. Still, the segment is a lot of fun. Even hardcore movie buffs may have a tough time identifying some of those presenters, but it's easy to see why kudocasts were shorter in those days. Most acceptance speeches consist of one sentence ("My humble thanks to everybody!"); accepting as best director, Wyler was one of the longest-winded winners, with a 13-second speech.

Also entertaining are the trailers from the era, which exclaim flatly that this is "the finest motion picture achievement in screen history!" and "the entertainment experience of a lifetime!" It's a reminder that studios always revved up the hype, but once did it without the benefit of online blurbmeisters.

There is also a "Ben-Hur collector's edition with Bible Study Guide," written by Rev. Robert H. Schuller and his son Rev. Robert A. Schuller, co-chairmen of Crystal Cathedral Ministries. The special edition will be available at DVD stores and Christian retail stores.

The film looks terrif, in a newly remastered print from the original 65mm film elements. Also included are a new audio commentary by film historian T. Gene Hatcher (interspersed with vintage comments from Heston); screen tests, including Leslie Nielsen's; and newsreels.

The silent version, restored by Thames Television and with a scored by Carl Davis, is new to DVD, though the Fred Niblo-helmed version had been released on VHS. This silent film merits its own extras; there are none here. Maybe they're waiting for the deluxe super-bonus-special-collector's six-disc version someday.

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: September 13, 2005, 02:42:17 PM »

I'll have PSYCHO II tomorrow if the mailman does his job. (Also the new version of COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER).

Michael

« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2005, 02:53:47 PM »

Oy--I remember the day when I saw the ad for Ballroom with the $25 top ticket price.  I thought that my days of seeing B'way shows was coming to an end.

Sorry about your ticket dilemma, but at this point, you might as well let yourself enjoy the show.

I saw it and paid the 25$ and sat front row center.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2005, 03:08:04 PM »

That DVD talk was so painful too read

Here is a sample

The chariot race sequence is also incredibly well done in this version, with some very cool camera angels such as the one where you see the carts race past you from the ground's view making for an interesting watch.

Sounds like a teenager who is flunking English.

And he has some of his facts wrong as in the running time. There is not additional 10 minutes of footage. The extra time is the overture entracte and exit music.

He dismisses the 1925 silent version. Which is part of 350+ film preservation while the 1959 version is not.
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2005, 03:38:49 PM »

Among several items I am expecting from UPS today is the 4-DVD "Ben-Hur" set.

I hope, I hope, I hope!  Not that I'll have time to watch it any time soon.

But still.....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2005, 03:40:18 PM »

My BIG WISH:

I wish that Ivette would evict Maggie tonight.

That would be SO cool.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2005, 03:46:25 PM »

Evening folks.

Sorry to E & T.  Your just going to have to bear with me for awhile.  Work is very busy and I'm so tired by the time I get home.

I think I need a vacation.   Hey, I think I am going to have a vacation but at times it seems like a million years away.   :)

I would love to have dinner with everyone who's there on Monday at Barrymores.  The only thing is I might be a hair late.  I have that tour but it says it get's back at about 5:30 PM.  I might want to go to my room and freshen up a bit but I will be there by 6:30 at the latest.  

Hate to post and run but I have some work I have to do.  I was chosen to do the T-shirt design for the American Heart Walk again but they want my design by FRIDAY!  I was just told that today.

I have to do some brainstorming and come up with something.

Have a good evening.  

Laters!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2005, 04:16:16 PM »

I don't know if it's my Virgo nature or just being retired with time to do these things. But even as a kid, I liked to plot out my days to try to get everything done I wanted to do. I know; I've driven other people crazy with my "schedulitis," but otherwise, I am miserable.

I don't know aboutt "schedulitis" but I definitely admit to being, as Rodzinski would say, a "planner".  I have to plan, I am compelled to plan, and if someone else is in charge of planning, I am usually in agony and/or doing my own research and planning as backup.  ::)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2005, 04:28:55 PM »

I just did something really stupid. My friend and I were supposed to go to Pennsylvania to see one of our ALADDIN kids in a production of JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH on Sunday. Having completely forgotten, I just booked a ticket for myself to see THE LION KING on Sunday night.

I'M SUCH AN IDIOT!!! I feel really bad, and the LION KING ticket is no refund/no exchange, so I won't be going to PA.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!
:(

Can you sell your LK ticket on Talkin' Broadway?

Cillaliz

« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2005, 04:39:05 PM »

My BIG WISH:

I wish that Ivette would evict Maggie tonight.

That would be SO cool.

TOTALLY cool, but it won't happen

Cillaliz

« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2005, 04:41:06 PM »

Well, my afternoon turned out much better than the morning did.  As the judge left the bench he said "Well, Priscilla, you're batting 500 today, if you played baseball you'd be in the Hall of Fame"

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #177 on: September 13, 2005, 05:13:34 PM »

I have won...

A cake
A $500 Savings Bond (still not matured!)

You, or the bond?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #178 on: September 13, 2005, 05:18:02 PM »

DR MBARNUM if you can win a contest without entering then you are really lucky!

Oh I can think of a number of things that MBarnum could win, without even entering.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #179 on: September 13, 2005, 06:09:47 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm here.  I'm here...

All in all, it was a good weekend of auditions down in Charlotte.  The SETC staff did their usual bang up job of getting everything and everyone organized.

The overall attendance was affected by the gas prices, and some people who had cancelled due to Hurricane Katrina.  However, there were a couple of people who auditioned who were from the New Orleans area, and a few of them were directly affected by the storm.  They did admit it was very tough going early on, but that things had start to improve once the government agencies got their act together.  And I guess if they were able to make it Charlotte to audition, well...

The show must go on...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up