Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BLACKOUT  (Read 87411 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BLACKOUT
« on: September 13, 2005, 12:05:39 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are now empowered for having read the notes, you are energized and charged and rarin' to go, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're still without power, those silly cows.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 12:09:33 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BLACKOUT
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 12:07:38 AM »

And the word of the day is:  PLASHY!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 12:15:46 AM »

I've won a couple of prizes on this here site but I can't think of any others. As I am not usually a partaker in competitions I guess my likelihood of winning prizes is somewhat reduced.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 12:22:04 AM »

A plashy line by Mr Sondheim is the puddle where the poodle did a piddle.
I wonder if Muddy Waters was ever described as a plashy blues singer.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 12:39:21 AM »

I've won a few prizes.  About six or seven years ago, I bought a Zero candy bar from the candy machine at my work and when I opened it up, I saw that it was a winning wrapper for a portable CD player!!  I was so excited (even though I already had a portable CD player).  When I got it, I realized that it didn't have as many options as my (then) current CD player had (no "resume" or "random" features), so I gave it to my dad.  I don't think it was close to his birthday, but I explained that I had won it and that since I already had a CD player, I would be please if he would accept it.  He was pleased to accept it and he still has it to this very day! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 12:40:23 AM »

The blackout here only affected us for about a minute, if that.  I was on the computer when it went off.  About forty-five secs to a minute, the power was back on.  I didn't even know there had been a blackout until it showed up as a news item on my home page.

BK, I love John Scott's score for the Charlton Heston film of ANTONY & CLEOPATRA.

When I still subscribed to PLAYBOY, I entered one of their sweepstakes and won two DVDs.  I was suppose to win a DVD and a powerbook or something.  But there was a glitch with the powerbooks, so they asked if I'd take two DVD players instead.  I said, "sure".  They were my first DVD players.  One's still in the box.  Never been opened.

When I was a kid, I won two tix to see TARZAN GOES TO INDIA by writing why I liked Tarzan movies.

I received the first ever Distinguished Alumni Award from The College of Fine Arts at the University of Kentucky.  Had to wear the cap and gown to a graduation and make a speech.  This wasn't actually a contest, of course.  But I suspect I was in competition with others for it before I was chosen.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 01:18:17 AM »

Anthony and Cleopatra is John's favorite score among his many.  I, too, love it, along with his scores for Greystoke, The Final Countdown, England Made Me, and most recently Petite Coupures.  John gave me his new CDs of A Study in Terror, The Final Countdown and several others.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 01:42:54 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com  birthday to Dave in the Valley.

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 02:34:30 AM »

An early morning DR Elmore!
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 02:53:48 AM »

An early morning DR Elmore!

Hello, DRTomovoz!  Yes, it is.  I'm still working on Faith Prince's chart, so I dragged my body out of bed around 5:20 am or so.  I have a long day.  This is the second tuesday of the month, so tonight's my music librarian dinner at the Sazerac, and I've got a day of BABES IN TOYLAND and Chicago Humanities Festival.  

TOD:  Prizes?  I've always felt rather unlucky, but I realize I haven't done too badly:
  1.  Halloween, around 1956:  I won a pass for 10 free movies at the Paramount Theatre, but I cannot remember if the prize was for costume or a lottery.
  2.  Halloween, around 1958:  art contest to paint a Halloween scene on merchants' windows in downtown Middletown, OH.  There were around 50 winners.  I painted a realtor's window, as I recall, on Central Avenue.
  3.  March 1965:  I won the Miami University Bookstore Award for a paper on the problems of translating Greek and Latin into English.  The prize was the Oxford English Dictionary.
  4.  May 1985, Stephen Sondheim won the Pulitzer Prize; I nominated him.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 04:14:09 AM »

I can't remember winning any prizes (except Anthony :-)

I voted this morning in our Democratic Primary. That doesn't mean the phone calls will stop. I voted for people who DIDN'T call me.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 04:14:23 AM »

Mornin' Larry!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 04:31:26 AM »

Mornin' Larry!

Good morning, Ben!  I haven't voted yet, but what an excellent suggestion about voting for the ones who didn't call!  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 05:24:26 AM »

I have won cds here on HHW. A cheese plate when I was 7 and $100 in the lottery once. And that was about it.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 05:25:07 AM »

Good morning, Ben!  I haven't voted yet, but what an excellent suggestion about voting for the ones who didn't call!  

Don't feel bad. I haven't voted either.
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 05:25:36 AM »

Big brother:

Last night DR Cillaliz wrote:
If it's Ivette/Janelle, I think Ivette would have  Beau, Maggie and James.  Janelle would have April, Howie and Rachael. So the question would be whether April could get Jennifer to vote for Janelle. Not so sure she could do that if Maggie was pulling for Ivette.

I think that a Janelle/Ivette final would be: Howie/rachel/james for janelle.  And jen/beau/maggie for ivette.  The deciding vote would be april. And i sort of think she would vote for Janelle. However maggie would be in the jury house to manipulate her, which is bad.  I do think that james would vote for janelle, even though he was friendly with ivette.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 05:43:00 AM »

Thank you for the information about THE PHILADELPHIA STORY 2-disc DVD set, DR MATTH.  I’m very interested in that DVD set and would like to get it, but, unfortunately, we have not it(region 2) yet here in Japan so we’ll just have to wait a few more months for its release here in Japan.  Cannot help… :'(

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 06:06:02 AM »

I'm voting after school- since I didn't get up early enough to go before...but vote I shall!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 06:13:38 AM »

Today is also election day for a special election in the Los Angeles area, one that der Brucer has been helping with.

(Amazing, how he can help with an election that's happening clear across the country, but that's what can happen with computers, the Internet, and everything.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2005, 06:14:38 AM »

And now I have to get to work, already!  I haven't even had time to catch up on yesterday's posts!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2005, 06:32:08 AM »

Last night we watched the Japanese movie  " HERO"
also known as Ying xiong (2002)  Directed by Yimou Zhang, which was showing on one of our cable movie stations.

It was such a visually lush film I wished I was at DR Matt H's watching it on his set up instead of on my 20 inch ten year old set!  :D

I was wondering, DR Hisaka, if you could enlighten me as to whether the colors used in the film were of of any specific significance.

The story is retold several times  from different perspectives.  The first time all the characters are dressed in and the predominat color in all the scenes is RED, which I believe to be a color signifying  LUCK

Another scene is all in WHITE which I believe to be the color of DEATH or MOURNING

However there is a scene that is predominately BLUE and one that is GREEN and then there is a whole fight scene with YELLOW leaves swirling around, which all turn red at the end of the fight.

It was a very interesting movie but I felt I wasn't quite 'getting" it  and think I should like to see it again.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 06:38:49 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2005, 07:50:06 AM »

I got an early start on the day...thanks, in part, to an early bedtime last night.

I've been to the bank, the gas station, the dry cleaners and my local coffee shop.  

The sun hasn't quite brightened things up.  I'm alone in the office and it feels like I'm the last one at the end of a long day rather than the first one at the start of one.

I've things to do today.  A briefing to attend.  One of my co-workers -- the guy I told y'all about who needs a double bypass -- has an appointment at Stanford Medical Center this morning.  He worked all day yesterday, but complained of chest pains.  I'm hoping Stanford admits him and performs surgery in the next 48 hours.

He should have been operated on two weeks ago.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2005, 07:56:54 AM »

I got an early start on the day...thanks, in part, to an early bedtime last night.

I've been to the bank, the gas station, the dry cleaners and my local coffee shop.  

The sun hasn't quite brightened things up.  I'm alone in the office and it feels like I'm the last one at the end of a long day rather than the first one at the start of one.

I've things to do today.  A briefing to attend.  One of my co-workers -- the guy I told y'all about who needs a double bypass -- has an appointment at Stanford Medical Center this morning.  He worked all day yesterday, but complained of chest pains.  I'm hoping Stanford admits him and performs surgery in the next 48 hours.

He should have been operated on two weeks ago.  

~~~~~VIBES FOR YOUR CO -WORKER~~~~~~

and prayers are also being said

and how are you feeling today DR Ron.. is your head feeling better ?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2005, 07:57:47 AM »

BB6 and what might happen:

I'm not so sure Maggie has the control any more.  April has already figured out the influence Ivette had on her, but she probably will get to the point where she understands Maggie was pulling all sorts of strings.

Once in sequester, I think April will be able to talk to everyone she once avoided and she will learn many truths.

As she has nothing to lose, the "displeasure" of the fiendsheep has no value any more.  Remember it was Maggie who told April and Ivette, at different times, that if they did certain things, it would be seen as an act "against" the friendship.

Maggie is evil.  Through and through.

Last night, she told Ivette that she believes Janelle lied about what the fans said at the "Two and a Half Men" set.  Her only ploy is to convince Ivette that Janelle is a liar and that Janelle must be taken out.  Maggie knows her only chance to win is if she and Ivette are standing at the end.  And that's just a "chance," IMO.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 08:08:15 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2005, 07:58:21 AM »

I haven;t seen anuything of our Southern HHW'ers today... is Ophelia giving them a hard time of it?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2005, 07:59:47 AM »

~~~~~VIBES FOR YOUR CO -WORKER~~~~~~

and prayers are also being said

and how are you feeling today DR Ron.. is your head feeling better ?

Thanks.  He's a really good guy.  

As for me, my allergies are still in place, but most of the sickly/weakish feeling has gone.

I'm more chipper today.  

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2005, 08:03:10 AM »

tale
him

There, now I feel better.  ;)

Do any of you have your home water supply via a well, perchance?  One of the houses we're looking at is out in the country (truly beautiful site on 10 acres), but it gets its water from a well and I have no experience with that.  What are some cogent questions I should be asking?  I assume stuff like water quality and amount of water it produces, etc., but is there anything else?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2005, 08:05:42 AM »

Thanks.  He's a really good guy.  
 Would you tell me his first name?  (It helps me in the praying department)

most of the sickly/weakish feeling has gone.

I'm more chipper today.  

Good news indeed.  

I send some  

~~VIBES~~~

and prayers in your direction as well that you will be feeling quite well by the end of the day  and for the foreseeable future!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 08:06:22 AM by vixmom »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2005, 08:07:12 AM »

Good morning!

I slept later today than I did yesterday and consequently I'm running behind in my daily routine.

I did take my walk this morning, but it wasn't as cool outside this morning and thus the walk wasn't quite as pleasant.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2005, 08:09:49 AM »

Good morning!

I slept later today than I did yesterday and consequently I'm running behind in my daily routine.

I did take my walk this morning, but it wasn't as cool outside this morning and thus the walk wasn't quite as pleasant.

Oh My Gosh!  Are you telling me there are actually days when your set-in-concrete routine goes awry?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up