Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BLACKOUT  (Read 87377 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:BLACKOUT
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2005, 08:51:25 AM »

DR Vixmom:

BLACK NARCISSUS tells the story of some nuns attempting to start a convent/school/hospital in a foreboding Himalayan outpost. It is one of the most startlingly beautiful and haunting films ever made.

Directed by Michael Powell and Emerich Pressberger who the next year did THE RED SHOES.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 08:52:23 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2005, 08:51:35 AM »

A lovely morning here in Arizona. I celebrated by going for a walk to get coffee and a bagel.

I once won second place in a pie-baking contest.

I once won a sparkling prize - not for a trivia contest, but for naming the notes one day when BK forgot to name the notes. I submitted the title of one of DR Sandra's essays.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2005, 08:52:06 AM »

DR MattH: What is our chore for today?

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2005, 08:53:23 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page 3 Dance!!![/move][/color]

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2005, 08:53:27 AM »

I don't know about the rest of you, but I love LOVE to see a photo of DR MattH as Smudge! I bet you look smashing in plaid.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 08:53:46 AM by DearReaderLaura »

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2005, 08:54:49 AM »

DR MattH: What is our chore for today?

It's living room cleaning day. I would also like to bake some more chocolate cupcakes since my best friend John's birthday will be celebrated tomorrow. (It's actually on Saturday, but he's leaving town on Thursday for an extended golf weekend.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2005, 08:56:20 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I guess some people watched Days of Our Lives yesterday, because I awoke to several orders.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2005, 08:56:34 AM »

I don't know about the rest of you, but I love LOVE to see a photo of DR MattH as Smudge! I bet you look smashing in plaid.

How sweet of you to ask! I'll scratch around the archives and see what I can come up with later today.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2005, 09:00:08 AM »

And right now, it's time to find some lunch around these parts. There just HAS to be something here for me to cook.

(Just kidding; I already had a steak thawed out! More pre-planning!  :D )

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2005, 09:09:20 AM »

More exciting than the season premiere of "House" is "Supernatural" on WB at 9:00. I hear it's scaaaary...and in a good way. :)

I can't watch scary at night... or I won't sleep

That's why I don't watch the 11 PM news!  ;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2005, 09:10:38 AM »

DR Vixmom:

BLACK NARCISSUS tells the story of some nuns attempting to start a convent/school/hospital in a foreboding Himalayan outpost. It is one of the most startlingly beautiful and haunting films ever made.

Directed by Michael Powell and Emerich Pressberger who the next year did THE RED SHOES.

Is it a US movie or a foreign film?

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2005, 09:10:40 AM »

Greetings from our empty nest!  We delivered DS Rob yesterday afternoon to the newest (not quite complete) residence hall at the University of Cincinnati.  We are very pleased with his accommodations, since the dorm where he lived last year was a real dump.

TOD - Aside from centerpieces at banquets and the like, the award I'm most proud of is:

"Edmon Low Award:  Edmon Low was a professor of library science at the University of Michigan for 23 summer sessions and five full years.  During his long career in the library profession, he served as the library director at three universities. He was a national  leader in library legislation and held a number of professional leadership positions, including president of the Association of College and Research Libraries, president of the Oklahoma Library Association, and vice-president of the American Library Association. Colleagues remember Low for his kindness, his sense of humor, his integrity, and his devotion  to the library profession. The U-M class of 1972 established the Edmon Low Award to honor him upon his retirement.  This award is given annually to the library/information science student who seems most likely to follow the professional  tradition set by Professor Low. Students select the recipient of this award."

My good grad-school friend, Ann, and I were the first co-recepients of this award in the spring of 1973.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2005, 09:13:11 AM »

I would like to see that as well.  I would also like to see   your Nunsense performance which you have mentioned having on tape.  BTW did you ever record  La Cage? ( I may have to make that trip after all  :D)

vixmom

« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2005, 09:15:05 AM »

And right now, it's time to find some lunch around these parts. There just HAS to be something here for me to cook.

(Just kidding; I already had a steak thawed out! More pre-planning!  :D )

speak not to me of steak while I sit here gnawing on a piece of styrofoam the store passed off to me as a "delicious and healthful rice cake"

vixmom

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2005, 09:19:38 AM »

Greetings from our empty nest!  We delivered DS Rob yesterday afternoon to the newest (not quite complete) residence hall at the University of Cincinnati.  We are very pleased with his accommodations, since the dorm where he lived last year was a real dump.
hopefully the part he is residing in is finished!  What will you do with all your new found free time and space?

TOD - Aside from centerpieces at banquets and the like, the award I'm most proud of is:

"Edmon Low Award:  Edmon Low was a professor of library science at the University of Michigan for 23 summer sessions and five full years.  During his long career in the library profession, he served as the library director at three universities. He was a national  leader in library legislation and held a number of professional leadership positions, including president of the Association of College and Research Libraries, president of the Oklahoma Library Association, and vice-president of the American Library Association. Colleagues remember Low for his kindness, his sense of humor, his integrity, and his devotion  to the library profession. The U-M class of 1972 established the Edmon Low Award to honor him upon his retirement.  This award is given annually to the library/information science student who seems most likely to follow the professional  tradition set by Professor Low. Students select the recipient of this award."

My good grad-school friend, Ann, and I were the first co-recepients of this award in the spring of 1973.

Very nice!!  You should be proud!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2005, 09:21:23 AM »

I'm up, I'm up!!  And I've caught up on the last two days of posts.  

Tech for "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" (ILYYPNC - in Internet lingo) went just swell.  As predicted, the sound isn't our normal quality (new person) and I still can't hear the cast and they can't hear me.  Hopefully that will change tonight with the addition of monitors.  The sound guy is new, young and is doing a great job for the knowledge he has, just probably should have had more experience before attacking a show like this.  The director is a complete idiot, and I don't care if he reads this on this board or not or if any of you know him, which I doubt, but he is an idiot.  He's treating the creative staff like they are 5 years old and perhaps have never done a show before.  HE should talk, the scenic designer designed a fabulous set that aids in the flluidness the show should have but the director either didn't give a <insert word here> or just didn't understand how the set worked.  I find that hard to believe as myself, the SM, and the cast totally understands how the set was designed to work.   We're all hoping he and his ... ummm ... DP.... who is the "movement director" (that is a totally different post!)  will hie themselves away from the theatre after we open on Saturday.  

Our combo rocks, though.  The violin part is so much fun, and the bass really fills things out.  Musically, we're having a ball.

bk, I'm totally in love with "Stages" especially the title song, I love the "sound" of the CD, that late 70's sound, how much fun is this music!!!!  Thanks for sharing.

As I was catching up with TiVo this morning, the Fed Ex guy came and brought me a Fed Ex package from our very own DR Michael S, it's all very exciting!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2005, 09:26:24 AM »

Black Narcissus is a Brit film - a one-off masterpiece the likes of which you have never seen.  It's from a novel by Rumer Godden.  Be sure to get the Criterion DVD.

Matthew - so glad you like it!  When we were remixing the eleven tracks, I insisted that it retain the 70s drum sound.

Ginny

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2005, 09:28:41 AM »

hopefully the part he is residing in is finished!

Yes, vixmom, his ROOM is finished, but they were still working across the hall and the interior of the elevator was still plywood.  He's there early, because he's on the team that helps other students move in.  The official opening of his building isn't until Saturday and they were working like crazy yesterday.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2005, 09:30:58 AM »

DR TPUNK - getting to the curtain call is what he means....five minute pauses would NOT bother him at all.  And the way he is talking to the audience, sometimes I think he is doing TEAHOUSE OF THE AUGUST MOON.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2005, 09:31:17 AM »

Happy Birthday Dave in the Valley!  

FJL

« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2005, 09:32:24 AM »

My favorite prize, because I so didn't deserve it, was for the office Super Bowl football pool.  I know nothing about football, but simply took a few of the leftover choices.  I didn't even watch the game, but I came into the office the next day, being the ONLY person in the pool not to have watched the game, and the guy who was holding the money came to my office and grudgingly started counting out the bills, one by one.  It's over ten years later, and people still talk about it with amazement whenever an office pool comes up.

Award that I didn't realize I should have been there for:  I co-won the Stanley Goldstein Accounting Prize in college, but there was so many awards announced that I didn't know mine was anything special.  So I didn't do to the dinner, because I had a computer class right at the same time as the Accounting Department Dinner.  The next day, one of the teachers said to me, "You know, it was like being at a wedding, and the groom didn't show up."  No one had told me that award was a big deal, especially given that I was a co-winner rather than a sole winner, and I probably would have missed the computer class if I had known.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2005, 09:35:03 AM »

Well I have won a couple of sparkling prizes here - and they were lovely.  I won DAS BARBECU and my favorite the CD with two Danny Kaye soundtracks!

The most exciting prize I have won was from a radio contest:  They had four short pieces of movie related music that were to be identified.  They included the Universal title theme from the 1940's; a song from LOVELY TO LOOK AT; a Shirley Temple song; and something from Scott Joplin, I think.  ANYWAY - I won a $100 gift certificate to Half Price Books - and I had a coupon for 30% off so I got $130 worth of stuff!!!  And that's a lot of stuff when you go to the 50 cent and $1 section!  I also got my first edition ATLAS SHRUGGED that day and it ended up costing me $35.

FJL

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2005, 09:40:01 AM »

Yes, I've won the sparkling prize in the Trivia contest as well. :) The Cinderella Cd was a particular favorite, just lovely.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2005, 09:51:55 AM »

Tomorrow I am going to Las Vegas. Maybe I'll win something there. Oh wait -- I don't gamble.

Jason

« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2005, 09:53:21 AM »

I'm not a winner as a rule. I have won a few things, though -

In fifth grade I won the award for Best Dressed. My mother was so proud (I wasn't allowed to pick out my own clothes until well into the 7th grade, thus instilling my hatred for khakii pants and wool sweaters).

In undergrad school I won the Best Supporting Actor in a Musical award in our theatre dept. (and I wasn't even a theatre major, which really burned some people's butts) for playing Jack in INTO THE WOODS.

I won a full-tuition scholarship to graduate school. And a fellowship. And somehow I still have $25,000 in student loans.

I recently won the money pool at the Tonys party I went to. $85 ain't bad!

And when MTI used to have their "Who Am I?" contest, I won three or four times. That's how I got my recordings of VIOLET and CHILDREN OF EDEN.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 09:54:45 AM by Jason »

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2005, 10:02:28 AM »

I don't know about the rest of you, but I would LOVE to see a photo of DR Jason as Jack from "Into The Woods."

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2005, 10:05:18 AM »

DR RonP, re: big brother 6

Maggie is indeed evil.  But i still think she controls the other maggots.  She (maggie) asked april if she knew that the promise of voting for a member of the Friendship to win was for the FINALS also. She is securing that April knows she has to vote for Ivette vs Janelle.

I think that April might be able to think for herself if it is Maggie vs Janelle.  Although I still think she would vote for Maggie.  But if it is Ivette vs Janelle and if Maggie is in the sequester with April. I think Maggie will continue to bully her.  Makes me want to scream.

I hope she doesn't win either Part 1 or Part 2 of the HOH comp.

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2005, 10:08:58 AM »

I once won a Ronald McDonald watch! :)

Tonight is the premiere of Gilmore Girls!

I was not planning to watch Bones.  But I just heard that someone I know is in it. So I will probably see it.  Also, not planning on watching Supernatural.  But I love the WB, so I may record it after Gilmore Girls.

But tonight I am watching Canadian Idol and Big Brother and Rock STar INXS!

FJL

« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2005, 10:10:28 AM »

DR Jason - For someone who doesn't seem to see himself as a winner, you certainly have won a lot!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2005, 10:16:35 AM »

All sparkling prizes have been packed up and will be going out today.  If anyone is due a sparkling prize and hasn't sent the address again, do so.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up