Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WELL, DEAR READERS  (Read 94257 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:WELL, DEAR READERS
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2005, 07:19:57 AM »

And now, I must head to work!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jason

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2005, 07:21:29 AM »

...And as DR Jason alluded to, there is that "catch"...  Most of the time, if you want to audition for an Equity show, you already have to be a member of Equity.  "Then how do I get my card?"  -And that's a discussion for another time....

Exactly. I was watching a "Making of MISS SAIGON" video that I had back in college and I remember hearing Cameron talk about this very thing. Something to the effect of, "You can't work without being Equity, but you can't be Equity without work!" It's a frustrating catch-22. What frustrates me the most is that my voice is too big and I don't dance well enough to be put in the chorus of any show. As Carol Burnett put it, I'm not good enough to be in the chorus so they have to cast me in lead or supporting roles. I'm just not a chorus "type," but in order to get into EMC, you usually have to do a lot of chorus work. Equity theatres who hire non-Eq actors have to fill a certain number of Equity contracts, and they're obviously not going to hire Equity people to fill in the ensemble, so all the stuff I'd be right for automatically goes to the Equity actors, leaving me working for places like Bucks County Playhouse. And even they have gone Equity again... It's a puzzlement. So you see why many people keep their Equity card even after they quit acting? It's the elusive golden ticket, even if it doesn't guarantee you work. Getting my Equity card at this point would be the equivalent of getting a Tony as far as I'm concerned. Here's the kicker, though - I haven't had an acting job in 1 1/2 years. I'm out of practice, so to get my Equity card right now would most likely be a disservice and keep me from working. Oy! It all makes my head spin.

To the topic of the day:

www.playbill.com
www.broadway.com
www.cnn.com
www.mtishows.com
www.msnbc.com
www.craigslist.org
www.friendster.com
www.tdf.org
www.metopera.org

and those are all of the ones that I frequent. Well, maybe not all of them, but like Jose said, some things are better left unsaid on a family website.  :-X

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2005, 07:32:58 AM »

IIRC from my dealings with the NPR people who are putting together the upcoming broadcast on the infamous Dr. Walter Freeman, one of Freeman's victims who was lobotomized when he was 12 (no joke) is a regular poster at Good Eats.   Thankfully the operation did relatively minor damage to this poor young man, who is now a 50-something bus driver in California with a wife and kids of his own.  His story is very disturbing, to say the least--his mother died, his father remarried, and his stepmother contacted Freeman because the kid wasn't behaving.  The rest, as they say, is history.   :(

Like Pogue, I have too many bookmarks to be believed.  I do drop by a number of Usenet groups, notably the Musicals, Past Films and DVD ones, but I rarely post anymore.  Interestingly, several evacuees (we will NOT call them refugees, LOL) from HHW who had little tiffs here post regularly on Usenet, where they are subject to much more tsuris than they ever were here.  To each his own, I guess.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2005, 07:37:43 AM »

Yes, I read the news about Robert Wise this morning, and I was very sad to read it. However, at 91, he had a rich, full life with lots of success.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2005, 07:42:04 AM »

Matt, Thanks for your review of The Corpse Bride.  Is it Vixter appropriate?

I hope you are well out of the way of Ophelia... I heard weather reports this morning of massive floodings on the NC coast lines

Good morning! Yes, it is vixter appropriate and vixmom appropriate as the film has elements that would appeal to kids and adults. I truly think adults would enjoy it more.

It's the poor NC coast that's receiving the battering from Ophelia's rain and wind. We haven't had a drop of precipitation all week.

As for the private message, the answer is yes. Keep eyes open for it next week.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2005, 07:44:13 AM »

Aother day of 90 degree temperatures means I'll be staying inside for much of the day. I skipped the walk this morning due to humid conditions. I'm waiting for the temperature to ease back to their more moderate levels from earlier in the week.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2005, 07:47:53 AM »

Besides this site, I go to Zap2It, Variety, and USA TODAY in the morning, E!, Playbill, TV Guide, and Broadway.com in the afternoon, and Amazon, Ebay, and other selected sales sites during the evening.

Mondays and Fridays I read Matt Roush's TV Guide Q&A column and dispatches.
Tuesday is DVDTalk day
Wednesday is DVD Verdict to see what DVDs are coming out the following week.
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are Ken Mandelbaum days.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2005, 07:49:05 AM »

Oops (Spoo), and I read DVD Savant's reviews on Thursdays and Saturdays.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2005, 07:52:03 AM »

Since I have no plans away from home today, I should be able to get a fair amount of movie watching done today and tonight.

I would like to finish ROMEO AND JULIET first to get it off the DVR.

I have Greta Garbo's ROMANCE on the DVR, too, which I'd like to watch and then clear off.

MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE also awaits on DVD.

td

• td
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2005, 07:54:35 AM »

I gave up on newsgroups quite a while ago.
Daily I visit here (my homepage), Scarlet Street Forums, The Home Theater Forum, All That Chat, The World Clock, Campfire Discussions Board and The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

ROOFTOPS wasn't mentioned as one of Wise's flops, but STAR TREK, which did turn profit (none of the TREK movies have lost money) was. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2005, 07:55:35 AM »

Oops (Spoo), and I read DVD Savant's reviews on Thursdays and Saturdays.

I have Savant's reviews delivered to my Inbox, thanks to RSS and Thunderbird.   ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2005, 07:57:44 AM »

Good morning! Yes, it is vixter appropriate and vixmom appropriate as the film has elements that would appeal to kids and adults. I truly think adults would enjoy it more.
Thanks! Since a trip to the movies for the three of us now runs about $40 its nice to know in advance if it's worth it  ;)!

It's the poor NC coast that's receiving the battering from Ophelia's rain and wind. We haven't had a drop of precipitation all week.
I hope you stay safe and Ophelia blows seaward.

As for the private message, the answer is yes. Keep eyes open for it next week.

Thanks! I am looking forward to it!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2005, 08:20:58 AM »

Since I have no plans away from home today, I should be able to get a fair amount of movie watching done today and tonight.

I would like to finish ROMEO AND JULIET first to get it off the DVR.

POSSIBLE SPOILER:

I don't know if this helps but having been banished for killing Tybalt, Romeo leaves Verona (after his wedding night with Juliet) and awaits word from the Friar who has promised to reunite him with Juliet.  Meanwhile, the Friar gives Juliet a sleeping potion that makes her seem dead.  She is told she will be interred in the family tomb and that Romeo will come get her by the time she awakens.  Next, the funeral ceremony is held amidst much grief, and one of Romeo's friends rushes off to tell Romeo the terrible news, actually passing a monk who is bearing the Veronese Friar's good news to Romeo.  Then, Romeo rushes back to Verona, finds Juliet in her deathlike trance, and takes a poison to join her in the afterlife.  Juliet awakens, finds Romeo dead, takes his dagger and kills herself.  Much town hysteria follows and, one presumes, the feud between the Montagues and Capulets is ended in grief.  "For never was there a story or more woe, than this of Juliet and her Romeo...."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 08:24:47 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2005, 08:32:20 AM »

To BK's last post of the evening yesterday:

Ann must be with Jed, wherever the frell HE is!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2005, 08:34:17 AM »

I tried watching "Bones" night before last.  It struck me right away as being another formlaic whodunnit with a female "Quincy" who studies bones.  A lot of time was wasted "developing" the trite female-scientific-expert-who-has-relationship-problems-and-friends-who-remind-her-of-why-every-chance-they-get.  And there is the ubiquitous man-she-detests-but-really-admires-with-whom-she-is-forced-to-work-and-creates-high-drama-about-it-while-pluckily-doing-her-job-to-spite-him.

Yawn.  Yawn-Yawn.  Sigh.

I saw bits of "Supernatural."  Teen angst with demonic results.  Been there.  Seen that.  

I don't have the highest of hopes for the new TV Season.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 08:36:54 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2005, 08:41:48 AM »

I disliked the detective's sneering epithet to the scientists as "squints." (I guess that's supposed to be less insulting than calling them "geeks.") The lady's martial arts skills weren't endearing, but I guess they were going for a kick-ass personality for her. Turned me right off.

Still, I give shows three chances, so I still have two more episodes before I dial this one off. Oftentimes, changes are made after a pilot is bought, so perhaps upcoming shows will be less abrasive to me.

As for SUPERNATURAL, I found it interesting enough (and Jensen Ackles hunky enough) to warrant its next two airings at my house.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2005, 08:42:56 AM »

POSSIBLE SPOILER:

I don't know if this helps but having been banished for killing Tybalt, Romeo leaves Verona (after his wedding night with Juliet) and awaits word from the Friar who has promised to reunite him with Juliet.  Meanwhile, the Friar gives Juliet a sleeping potion that makes her seem dead.  She is told she will be interred in the family tomb and that Romeo will come get her by the time she awakens.  Next, the funeral ceremony is held amidst much grief, and one of Romeo's friends rushes off to tell Romeo the terrible news, actually passing a monk who is bearing the Veronese Friar's good news to Romeo.  Then, Romeo rushes back to Verona, finds Juliet in her deathlike trance, and takes a poison to join her in the afterlife.  Juliet awakens, finds Romeo dead, takes his dagger and kills herself.  Much town hysteria follows and, one presumes, the feud between the Montagues and Capulets is ended in grief.  "For never was there a story or more woe, than this of Juliet and her Romeo...."

Hmmm.... that does sound familiar. I taught the play for 29 of my 30 years in the classroom, so I thought I recognized some of those plot points.

vixmom

« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2005, 08:46:16 AM »

POSSIBLE SPOILER:

Hmmm, this reminds me of West Side Story... I think this Shakespeare fellow may be a copycat....
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 08:48:49 AM by vixmom »

Jason

« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2005, 08:52:54 AM »

Carrot-stick girl just made the most ignorant statement I think I've ever heard - a statement to which I take offense. She got off the phone with one of her southern customers and when she hung up she said, "That woman has to be a racist and a homophobe...she was WAY too nice and she's southern." She said that like it was the most matter-of-fact thing in the world. I find it sad and frightening that she feels so justified in judging someone based on where they're from but she doesn't seem to notice that she is, in fact, the one who is being judgmental - and she's not even southern!

Another girl in our office - carrot-stick's best friend, as a matter of fact - is from Richmond, VA, and is trying her best to be the best little northern liberal she can be. Everyone is a racist homophobic Bush-loving religious prude in her estimation if they're not "fabulously gay" or a drunk or if you live south of Staten Island.

Both of these girls are 26/27-ish and just feed off each other. You could get bruises for all the ass-kissing they do to one another. Someone needs to tell them that being liberal-minded and ignorant are not necessarily one in the same.

Sorry. I just had to get that off my chest.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 08:54:50 AM by Jason »

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2005, 08:54:36 AM »

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2005, 08:59:52 AM »

Yep, some of us Southern boys don't even like NASCAR.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2005, 09:01:47 AM »

Hello from Brasov, Transylvania!  Boy, were we happy to leave Bucharest.  Crazy drivers, polution, wall-to-wall people, and stray & homeless dogs & cats--the first and last items are problems throughout Romania.

Brasov is a medieval town and, fortunately, we're staying in the "old town" area...otherwise it would be a BIT HELLISH!  Interestingly, right in the middle of the old town plaza they're constructing a stage for a Joe Cocker concert next week.  Tomorrow we leave for Sibiu and Bran...both towns linked to Vlad the Impaler (aka Dracula).

Craig's girlfriend is very sweet and lovely, too.  And they're very cute together--with photos to follow on my return.

vixmom

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2005, 09:03:01 AM »

Carrot-stick girl just made the most ignorant statement I think I've ever heard - a statement to which I take offense. She got off the phone with one of her southern customers and when she hung up she said, "That woman has to be a racist and a homophobe...she was WAY too nice and she's southern."

Being too nice makes you a  racist and a homphobe? Just because she lives in state south of the Mason- Dixon Line?  Maybe the caller just had manners!! ::)

Lordy I was born and bred in New York as were both of my parents and even I take offense to that snap judgement  :P

DR Matt H lives in the Carolinas, I guess he must be a homophobe and he's doing me a favor which is nice, so he must be racist too!!  :D

« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 09:06:05 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2005, 09:04:26 AM »

Hello from Brasov, Transylvania!  Boy, were we happy to leave Bucharest.  Crazy drivers, polution, wall-to-wall people, and stray & homeless dogs & cats--the first and last items are problems throughout Romania.

Brasov is a medieval town and, fortunately, we're staying in the "old town" area...otherwise it would be a BIT HELLISH!  Interestingly, right in the middle of the old town plaza they're constructing a stage for a Joe Cocker concert next week.  Tomorrow we leave for Sibiu and Bran...both towns linked to Vlad the Impaler (aka Dracula).

Craig's girlfriend is very sweet and lovely, too.  And they're very cute together--with photos to follow on my return.

I hope you are bringing your photos to New York with you!!!

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2005, 09:11:13 AM »

How delightful to log in at lunchtime and find so many friends here, even DR Jane!  Glad to hear the trip is going well - I'm looking forward to seeing those pictures!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jason

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2005, 09:11:34 AM »

DR Jane: I hope you're having a wonderful trip!! Tell Vlad hi for me, but make sure you're wearing plenty of garlic when you go to visit. I hope you and DH Keith are having a splendid time and can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks!!

DR Vixmom: Yes, apparently being too nice and being southern makes you a racist homophobe. Does that mean she only hates black gays?  I don't think being southern and friendly makes you a homophobe. I mean, I'm self-loathing, but that's because I'm an actor - not because I'm southern - or even NICE for that matter! ;)

She and the other one just irritate the piss out of me and I think BK should lend out his bitch-slapping machine for a few hours so I can take care of these two twits.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 09:14:35 AM by Jason »

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2005, 09:31:25 AM »

TOD:

In addition to HHW, I try to read the New York Times online everyday - at least the headlines and the most-frequently emailed articles.  

Work-related, I spend a lot of time at:

www.daytonmetrolibrary.org - my workplace
fdncenter.org

Non-work-related:

www.uc.edu
www.aauw.org
www.orgsites.com/oh/joyluckclub - this is the website I maintain for my book group
www.umich.edu - Go Blue!

When I was teaching aspiring teachers, I had them do what I called a "3-2-1 Web Exploration."  They were to find 3 sites for fun, 2 sites for professional use, and 1 site they wouldn't want their students to bump into on a classroom computer.  That last category =  :o

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2005, 09:32:35 AM »

Well no one will accuse these New Yorkers of Being  "too nice"

NEW YORK (Sept. 15) - A groom spent his wedding night in jail with his father, his brother his father-in-law and seven other members of his wedding party after the group allegedly brawled with another bridal party and police, according to a published report.

Police arrested the groom, Joseph Fortunato Jr., 29, and the ten others after officers were called to break up the melee at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in White Plains, Saturday, according to an article appearing in Thursday's editions of the Daily News.

The altercation reportedly began with a case of mistaken identity. A member of the second wedding party confronted Fortunato's best man, believing him to be a wedding photographer, who had absconded. The best man allegedly responded with force sparking a bench-clearer.

"Everybody's fighting everybody," White Plains police spokesman Martin Gleeson told the Daily News. "And both brides are kind of walking around helpless like, 'This is my wedding? I can't believe this is happening!"'

After police intervened by arresting Fortunato, the other members of his wedding party objected violently, leading to their arrests. The eleven suspects, all from Fortunato's party, were charged with resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and first-degree riot, a felony punishable by up to four years in prison.

They were released on bail Sunday.

Police said the melee caused $2,000 of damage to the hotel.

"We believe the event may have been alcohol-driven," Gleeson told the Daily News.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 09:33:15 AM by vixmom »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2005, 09:35:50 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Why are we so wide?  I don't see anything that should have caused it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2005, 09:36:43 AM »

elmore: Esche responded to my version of the story?  What did he say?  I've bitch-slapped him before and I certainly can do it again.  You'd think he'd learn.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up